Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+32
Football Genius
gone
The Pröfessör
debaser
Kroos
Torrente
DS
robert
Black Magic
S4P
christmasborocooper
shazlx
L.r.d
EM Seleção e Selecção
bluenine
Ricardo Jol
110%
fcb
Tweesus
Fey
Luis
Rosicky
SteveOoO
Puro
Parks lives
Jago
Kimbo
NCFC
Pierre Littbarski
Super Progress
blutgraetsche
Machiavel
36 posters

Return of the English dynasty in Europe ?

Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Return of the English dynasty in Europe ? Empty Return of the English dynasty in Europe ?

Post by Machiavel Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:15 pm

Has the last 3 years, ushered in a new dynasty of English dominance in Europe .. the last time was in the late 70's and early 80's.

2005 - Liverpool win the European Cup
    2006 - Arsenal make the European Cup Final, lose 2:1 to FC Barcelona
    2007 - 3 English teams in the European Cup semis, one English team is guaranteed in the Final
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Return of the English dynasty in Europe ? Empty Re: Return of the English dynasty in Europe ?

Post by blutgraetsche Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:16 pm

Don't count your chicken just yet.

If I could put a "ze" in that sentence, I would.

Last edited by on Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Return of the English dynasty in Europe ? Empty Re: Return of the English dynasty in Europe ?

Post by Super Progress Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:18 pm

Rai Krol wrote:Has the last 3 years, ushered in a new dynasty of English dominance in Europe .. the last time was in the late 70's and early 80's.

2005 - Liverpool win the European Cup
    2006 - Arsenal make the European Cup Final, lose 2:1 to FC Barcelona
    2007 - 3 English teams in the European Cup semis, one English team is guaranteed in the Final
    i always say that it is hard to predict anything from cl esp since they changed it with removing the 2.group stage which has meant that it has become unpredictable. if they had done it with the old format it would have been no question but they way cl is nowadays its hard to say what will happen next year. also you are going to judge on anything it should be how many teams the league gets each year in maybe the quaters or semis.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:19 pm

We've got the same top 4 every year so they can gain loads of experience in the CL.

I only take Chelsea and Liverpool seriously out of our 4 but they have the 2 best managers in Europe so hardly suprising (bigger factor than money IMO).
    NCFC
    NCFC

Number of posts : 3485
    Supports : Cádiz C.F y Norwich City F.C

Post by NCFC Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:19 pm

I don't know about dominance. But due to the large gap between the top four and the rest the Premiership can send four very strong teams into the tournament as they have this season. Italy faced no chance due to the backlash from the Match fixing scandal whilst it has been a poor season for Spanish teams with only three qualifying and all exiting before the semis. Next season Spain will send Barca, Real, Sevilla and Valencia. England United, Chelsea, Liverpool Arsenal. Both look very strong line ups. It will be interesting to see who has more teams at this stage next year.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:28 pm

I don't doubt that we're heading into a period where the top 4 in England dominate in europe, we have 4 very good teams and 3 of them are(will be in Pools case) super-rich.

Just a shame about the rest of the league. <Ale>
    Jago
    Jago

Number of posts : 179
    Supports : Aston Villa
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Jago Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:32 pm

As Blut said Kimbo, don't count yer chickens...Bolton could still be part of our champion's league presence (lol)
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:34 pm

Jago wrote:As Blut said Kimbo, don't count yer chickens...Bolton could still be part of our champion's league presence (lol)

Maybe, Arsenal need to sort their act out. But even if Bolton(or any other team) qualified ahead of Arsenal i don't think they would stay in the top 4 permanently, Arsenal would be back there next season.

Last edited by on Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:36 pm

stop...HAMEUR TIME! wrote:
    I only take Chelsea and Liverpool seriously out of our 4

Return of the English dynasty in Europe ? O_rly
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Post by Pierre Littbarski Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:38 pm

Parks lives wrote:
    stop...HAMEUR TIME! wrote:
    I only take Chelsea and Liverpool seriously out of our 4

Return of the English dynasty in Europe ? O_rly

Return of the English dynasty in Europe ? Gallery_ii_470x300
    Puro
    Puro

Number of posts : 10679
    Registration date : 2006-09-12

Post by Puro Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:39 pm

It's just the same 4 teams from England, so it's hardly a "league accomplishment". It's always the same 4 teams always finishing 1 to 4, always competing in CL, getting lots of experience. Yes, they're due for success.

In my opinion, it's got more to do with them 4 teams success than a league success. This will be the fourth straight season with the same 4 teams finishing 1-4 in the league. And it seems, they're there to stay for a while. League success? don't think so. The success of 4 teams alone. Four very good and rich teams. <Ale>
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:43 pm

Puro wrote:It's just the same 4 teams from England, so it's hardly a "league accomplishment". It's always the same 4 teams always finishing 1 to 4, always competing in CL, getting lots of experience. Yes, they're due for success.

In my opinion, it's got more to do with them 4 teams success than a league success. This will be the fourth straight season with the same 4 teams finishing 1-4 in the league. And it seems, they're there to stay for a while. League success? don't think so. The success of 4 teams alone. Four very good and rich teams. <Ale>

Christ, i'm agreeing with you Puro. I'm the first to admit that there's currently NOTHING outside the top 4 in England.

Personally i blame Shepherd for sacking Robson, if he had stayed we might have 5 teams fighting for those 4 spots. ok
    SteveOoO

Number of posts : 446
    Registration date : 2006-08-29

Post by SteveOoO Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:43 pm

Puro wrote:It's just the same 4 teams from England, so it's hardly a "league accomplishment". It's always the same 4 teams always finishing 1 to 4, always competing in CL, getting lots of experience. Yes, they're due for success.

It is essentially the same for Spain and Italy, and Germany for that matter, its the same teams from every league that keep doing well in the CL.
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:45 pm

Kimbo wrote:

Christ, i'm agreeing with you Puro. I'm the first to admit that there's currently NOTHING outside the top 4 in England.

Personally i blame Shepherd for sacking Robson, if he had stayed we might have 5 teams fighting for those 4 spots. ok

Are you "anti-English" all of a sudden Kimbo? Biggrin <Ale>
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Post by Pierre Littbarski Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:45 pm

If Mourinho stays then 'pool and Chelsea will be reaching SF's year in year out.

Italy will be strong from 2008/2009 as it looks as though Juve, Napoli and Genoa are coming up to increase competition.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:46 pm

SteveOoO wrote:

It is essentially the same for Spain and Italy, and Germany for that matter, its the same teams from every league that keep doing well in the CL.

No it's not, Spain have had Villarreal doing well in the CL and Sevilla won the UEFA Cup and are competing for the title this year, and Zaragoza are currently 4th. There's been much change in the top 4 in Spain over the years.
    Rosicky
    Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
    Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
    Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:50 pm

Kimbo wrote:
    SteveOoO wrote:

No it's not, Spain have had Villarreal doing well in the CL and Sevilla won the UEFA Cup and are competing for the title this year, and Zaragoza are currently 4th. There's been much change in the top 4 in Spain over the years.

dont forget betis, celta vigo, deportivo have all been in the CL recently.
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:53 pm

SteveOoO wrote:

No pal! La Liga almost always puts two different teams other than their giants Barcelona and Real Madrid. Last season it was Valencia and Osasuna. The season before that, Villarreal and Betis. Prior to that, Valencia and Deportivo. Before that, Real Sociedad and Celta. Before that Valencia and Deportivo again. Mallorca and Deportivo...Zaragoza and Deportivo....Mallorca and Valencia...Bilbao and Real Sociedad....and on and on and on. Biggrin <Ale>

Serie A is similar in this aspect. <Ale>
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:53 pm

Puro wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:

Not at all, it's just there's no denying that lack of quality outside the top 4, no one is competitive. Bolton and Everton occupy 5th and 6th FFS.
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:55 pm

Kimbo wrote:
    Puro wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:

Not at all, it's just there's no denying that lack of quality outside the top 4, no one is competitive. Bolton and Everton occupy 5th and 6th FFS.

And who's fault is that? I'm sure you'd have a different attitude if Newcastle were 5th Rolling Eyes
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:57 pm

Luis wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:
    Puro wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:

And who's fault is that? I'm sure you'd have a different attitude if Newcastle were 5th Rolling Eyes

If we were competitive then yes i'd have a different attitude, but if we were in 5th but still seriously lacked the quality to compete with the top 4 i'd think the same.
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:24 pm

Kimbo wrote:

If we were competitive then yes i'd have a different attitude, but if we were in 5th but still seriously lacked the quality to compete with the top 4 i'd think the same.

Have you gotten used to the idea of seeing the same "big four" year in and year out? I hope I'm wrong, but it sure appears they're gonna remain there for quite a while. <Ale> Biggrin
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:32 pm

Puro wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:

Have you gotten used to the idea of seeing the same "big four" year in and year out? I hope I'm wrong, but it sure appears they're gonna remain there for quite a while. <Ale> Biggrin

I'm used to it, i'm bored of it, and i find it pretty frustrating. ok
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:34 pm

Kimbo wrote:
    Puro wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:

I'm used to it, i'm bored of it, and i find it pretty frustrating. ok

Some day kimbo out teams will be in the final..again..someday <Ale>
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:37 pm

Kimbo wrote:

There's spurs...
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:38 pm

Tweedle wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:

There's spurs...

Yup, people have been telling me this for the past 2 seasons now.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:39 pm

as has been said its not good for english football if these teams keep on qualifing.of course currently the teams simply arent that good so they can justify that they should get a place from these teams.it could be a small thing that changes it like just a really bad season from arsenal which are the team most likely to fall out as i see it allthough they are still better then the teams below.
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:41 pm

supermadrid(zizou legend) wrote:as has been said its not good for english football if these teams keep on qualifing.of course currently the teams simply arent that good so they can justify that they should get a place from these teams.it could be a small thing that changes it like just a really bad season from arsenal which are the team most likely to fall out as i see it allthough they are still better then the teams below.

Who cares if it's the same 4 qualifying every season? you still have to do well to get to the semi's as United, Chelsea and you would think Liverpool have, it's not easy to make it this far, besides we saw what happened when a team that doesn't normally qualify i.e Everton qualified for the CL they couldn't handle it
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:46 pm

Luis wrote:
    supermadrid(zizou legend) wrote:as has been said its not good for english football if these teams keep on qualifing.of course currently the teams simply arent that good so they can justify that they should get a place from these teams.it could be a small thing that changes it like just a really bad season from arsenal which are the team most likely to fall out as i see it allthough they are still better then the teams below.

Who cares if it's the same 4 qualifying every season? you still have to do well to get to the semi's as United, Chelsea and you would think Liverpool have, it's not easy to make it this far, besides we saw what happened when a team that doesn't normally qualify i.e Everton qualified for the CL they couldn't handle it

You've just highlighted the problem there luis, the best teams outside the top 4 don't have enough quality to stay there.

And BTW, everyone that's not a top 4 fan cares. ok
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:47 pm

Pierre's right, Liverpool and Chelsea will continue to go far as long as they have Benitez and Mourinho.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:31 pm