Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
Puro
mongrel hawk
Cesc Soler
Kimbo
Lard
Parks lives
Sgoater1
Deano
Jaime
Oleguerisntthatbad
Tweesus
Super Progress
debaser
Deluded F*ck™
Formerly known as sheva7
Calidad
COTR
bluenine
22 posters

The hunt for Cafu's successor

Poll

Who is the next Cafu for Brazil??

[ 3 ]
    The hunt for Cafu's successor Bar_left11%The hunt for Cafu's successor Bar_right [11%] 
    [ 6 ]
    The hunt for Cafu's successor Bar_left22%The hunt for Cafu's successor Bar_right [22%] 
    [ 17 ]
    The hunt for Cafu's successor Bar_left63%The hunt for Cafu's successor Bar_right [63%] 
    [ 1 ]
    The hunt for Cafu's successor Bar_left4%The hunt for Cafu's successor Bar_right [4%] 

Total Votes: 27
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

The hunt for Cafu's successor Empty The hunt for Cafu's successor

Post by bluenine Thu May 10, 2007 1:45 pm

A true legend always leaves behind a fierce battle for his succession, as he inspired many in the next generation.... As Cafu's innings comes to a close, there are many contenders to the right back role for Brazil...

Cicinho, 26 - Touted as the next Cafu, hyped move to Real, struggling with injury. Excellent going forward, but struggles a bit at defence. Played 15 times for Brazil.

Maicon, 25 - The revelation in Serie A for Inter, already displaced one legend (Zanetti) from the RB role. Great going forward, decent at back, very pacy. Has continued the Inter tradition of attacks coming mostly from the right. Played 19 times for Brazil.

Alves, 24 - The revelation in La Liga this season, he is clearly teh new challenger... typical Brazilian fullback, very lethal in attack. No where near as good as Cafu in defence. Capped 4 times for Brazil.

Ilsinho, 21 - He replaced Cicinho at Sao Paolo, and just made his debut for Brazil. A rookie compared to the other 3. Played 1 game for Brazil.

These are probably the main contenders... who do you think will make this place his own by 2010??

My bet is on Maicon... give him a year, he will cement his place at Inter and Brazil. Alves will probably go Mancini's route and become a winger, they both are very similar.

Last edited by on Thu May 10, 2007 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

The hunt for Cafu's successor Empty Re: The hunt for Cafu's successor

Post by COTR Thu May 10, 2007 1:52 pm

not a bad choice they have though is it ??

england have richards and gary neville Wink
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Thu May 10, 2007 3:12 pm

From those I like Cicinho the most, but I've never seen Ilsinho play before. Seen very little of Maicon, but not been overly impressed. Don't understand the Alvez hype either.
    Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1899
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 Thu May 10, 2007 3:47 pm

Offensively Alves, Ilsinho and Cicinho are better than Maicon, but he is the only one who can defend well. Right now I would choose Dani Alves because he is having another amazing season. Ilsinho is awful defensively.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Thu May 10, 2007 4:22 pm

Between Alves & Maicon IMO.

Alves is the better athlete,and is far more aggreesive getting forward, Crossing is about the same quality, Maicon is definetly better defensively.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser Thu May 10, 2007 4:52 pm

oh to have the problems of the brazil squad. our gary neville successor looks like its going to have to be one of micah richards, glen johnson, justin hoyte or liam rosenoir...
    Calidad
    Calidad

Post by Calidad Thu May 10, 2007 4:58 pm

Whenever I've watched Alvez he hasn't particularly impressed me. He need to learn how to cross and pass better. He seems to struggle against skillful wingers as well.

I'll have to try and look out for him more next season. Same with Maicon.

What about LB? Loads of choices there too.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Thu May 10, 2007 5:09 pm

Calidad wrote:Whenever I've watched Alvez he hasn't particularly impressed me. He need to learn how to cross and pass better. He seems to struggle against skillful wingers as well.

I'll have to try and look out for him more next season. Same with Maicon.

What about LB? Loads of choices there too.
    Yikes
    he has the best cross in the league after becks on form. and he has played almost as a playmaker for sevilla the last two seasons. he does so much for them. the negative about him is that he gets alot of cards.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Thu May 10, 2007 5:20 pm

Calidad are you basing your opinions purely on the UEFA cup games?

In the UEFA cup he hasn't been that impressive, in the league this season he's been phenomenal though. none of them will ever be a Cafu though
    Oleguerisntthatbad

Number of posts : 7180
    Registration date : 2006-08-10

Post by Oleguerisntthatbad Thu May 10, 2007 5:25 pm

Don't know anything about Ilsinho, but for the rest I would go for Alves no questions asked.

Alves might not be the best tackler but he will stress and foul any opponent causing them to lose momentum. He is definetely the best going forward of the 3 too..

Maicon is good but not in the same league as Alves

As for Cicinho, he can't defend. He has no clue where to position himself and is overrun all the time. I expect him to improve but even at Sao Paolo he was a dodgy defender.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Thu May 10, 2007 5:28 pm

Alves is not as bad a defender as Cicinho, for example. Like Oleuger said, he really bothers the hell out of the opposition and his pace allows him to get back into position (after first having lost it). Obviously you are not going to get the same defensive work from a Brasilian full back that you would from, say, an Italian full back but that is the way it goes. Dani Alves is the most complete of the four. Well, I haven't seen Ilsinho -- but Alves tops the other two for sure.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Thu May 10, 2007 5:40 pm

I think Alves is a great talented player, but he lacks the defensive abilities to play as RB... he will be a much better RW, in the same league as Mancini of Roma... Infact, Mancini also started as a RB!!

I think the underlying theme about all 4 is that they are good going forward, but weak defensively.

Maicon is excellent going forward, contrary to what people are saying here... If I compare him with Zanetti, Maicon is better going forward but Zanetti is better defensively.

But yeah, compared to these 4, I would say that Alves is the best going forward, and Maicon is the best defensively. Personally, I think its between Maicon and Cicinho.

Oleguerisntthatbad wrote:Don't know anything about Ilsinho, but for the rest I would go for Alves no questions asked.

Alves might not be the best tackler but he will stress and foul any opponent causing them to lose momentum. He is definetely the best going forward of the 3 too..

Maicon is good but not in the same league as Alves

As for Cicinho, he can't defend. He has no clue where to position himself and is overrun all the time. I expect him to improve but even at Sao Paolo he was a dodgy defender.
    Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United

Post by Deano Thu May 10, 2007 5:44 pm

Alves...
    Oleguerisntthatbad

Post by Oleguerisntthatbad Thu May 10, 2007 5:55 pm

@bluenine

I don't get your fascination with Cicinho? He is the worst defensively and worse than Alves attacking..
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City

Post by Sgoater1 Thu May 10, 2007 6:01 pm

Alves is awsome but Maicon is simply the best alround out of the four player so my money will be on him. He's had an awsome season and the fact he has taken the right back spot of Javier Zanetti speaks volumes.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Thu May 10, 2007 6:04 pm

i agree maicon is best allround but i think alves is a gamechanger like the best players are.and he is not bad defensively but he gets alot of cards. for me alves is the best full back in the world currently.
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Thu May 10, 2007 6:08 pm

supermadrid(zizou legend) wrote: for me alves is the best full back in the world currently.

Not while these two are still plying his trade

The hunt for Cafu's successor NevilleR230106_300x450

The hunt for Cafu's successor 35_gianluca__zambrotta
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Thu May 10, 2007 6:08 pm

Cicinho - I haven't been impressed with his games at Madrid, apart from glimpses of brilliance. But I was very impressed with his games for Brazil, and thats what this post is all about... he is not as bad defensively for Brazil as he is for Madrid (hey, Cannavaro has been poor defensively for Madrid!!). I am pretty sure he will be Real's first choice RB for a long time, and when he was fit, Capello seemed to rate him too.

Alves IMO is going to convert into a winger, just like Mancini before him. He reminds me a lot of what Mancini was before this season...

Oleguerisntthatbad wrote:@bluenine

I don't get your fascination with Cicinho? He is the worst defensively and worse than Alves attacking..

Last edited by on Thu May 10, 2007 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Thu May 10, 2007 6:12 pm

Gary Neville in the same frame with Zambrotta??? Thats blasphemy! affraid I have corrected it for ya...

Anyways, Zambo is better as a LB, as a RB Zanetti/Cafu/Thuram have been better than him...

Parks lives wrote:
    supermadrid(zizou legend) wrote: for me alves is the best full back in the world currently.

Not while these two are still plying his trade
    The hunt for Cafu's successor 35_gianluca__zambrotta
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Thu May 10, 2007 6:32 pm

zambrotta is right footed i think but he only played on the right at the wc cup because there was not many options for right back. he also played mostly for juve at left back. at barca he has been too good as a right back so i gues i can say alves has been better.
    about cicinho. he was great for us last season and he was very much a part of our 10 game winning spree. now he has been injuried so no point in saying has been average since he came back.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Thu May 10, 2007 6:49 pm

Exactly ok

You didn't vote?

Sgoater1 wrote:Alves is awsome but Maicon is simply the best alround out of the four player so my money will be on him. He's had an awsome season and the fact he has taken the right back spot of Javier Zanetti speaks volumes.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Thu May 10, 2007 6:54 pm

Zambrotta hasn't had the best of seasons for Barca to be honest.

I don't get the Neville bashing - he's probably the most soild full back defensively around - he may no be the best dribbler or passer, or anywhere near the most composed on the ball but his crossing is top class and he has great timing and movement in the final third. Guesing cos he's english Erm
    Lard
    Lard

Number of posts : 3822
    Registration date : 2007-03-31

Post by Lard Thu May 10, 2007 6:54 pm

Alves by a mile Biggrin
    Calidad
    Calidad

Post by Calidad Thu May 10, 2007 6:55 pm

I watched Alvez vs Real, and I thought he was awful as well. Whenever I have seen him play (about 5-10 times, he hasn't justified the hype). I've actually been more impressed with Puerta the LB whenever I have seen Sevilla.

It much like Joaquin - He get's a lot of criticism, but whenever I have seen him, he has been impressive, whether it be for Spain, Valencia or Betis.

Just one of those things I guess.
    Oleguerisntthatbad

Post by Oleguerisntthatbad Thu May 10, 2007 6:58 pm

Alves pretty much beat us singlehandedly in Sevilla when they were a man down.. Drove the whole team on, scored and set up a goal.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Thu May 10, 2007 7:05 pm

Its not bashing really, I think Neville is a good dependable fullback... used to be terrible, but grew better with time....

But not in the same bracket as a Zambrotta or a Zanetti or a Maldini... these guys were MOTMs for their teams very regularily (and in Maldini and Zanetti's case, Player of the season for their teams), inspite of having world class strikers/midfielders in their midst. Neville never reached that kind of performance.

Tweedle wrote:Zambrotta hasn't had the best of seasons for Barca to be honest.

I don't get the Neville bashing - he's probably the most soild full back defensively around - he may no be the best dribbler or passer, or anywhere near the most composed on the ball but his crossing is top class and he has great timing and movement in the final third. Guesing cos he's english Erm
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Thu May 10, 2007 7:08 pm

Terrible? like when? for his first few games when he was 18 maybe.

He's no Maldini or Cafu but I can't see the problem with comparing him to Zanetti or Zambrotta
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Thu May 10, 2007 7:17 pm

I guess thats your opinion. You already know whats mine...

Watch neville's games before 99... when he was 21-24.... we used to call them The Neville Sisters, Serie B material. Most ManU fans used to agree - I have a lot of mates who support ManU.... Credit to Gary, he improved a lot since.... perhaps you were too young those days to appreciate it. That would probably also explain why you cannot appreciate Zanetti, he has been a legend since 1995.

Every England player is not world class, Tweedy.

Tweedle wrote:Terrible? like when? for his first few games when he was 18 maybe.

He's no Maldini or Cafu but I can't see the problem with comparing him to Zanetti or Zambrotta
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Thu May 10, 2007 7:33 pm

Too young? I watched most of my football back then.

I know where your opinions lie, everything Italian is World Class, everything not isn't.

At least I manage to appreciate some Italian players but to come out with a comment like 'every England player is not world class' pretty much shows how Iti-centric and quite frankly worthless your views are
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Thu May 10, 2007 7:36 pm

Can't say i've ever been impressed by Cicinho, he looks bloody awful defensively. I wouldn't select him to play at RB for Newcastle, that's how bad he is. ok

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:34 pm