Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+20
Super Progress
Kimbo
Parks lives
Bashmachkin
Sheffield gunner
lrdsucksgoats
Calidad
monty
TM
lampiao007
robert
Axeslammer
AsianBoy
Luis
Cesc Soler
Batman
The-Frank-Tavern
Sgoater1
Tweesus
Luso
24 posters

Manuel Fernandes back to Everton

Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Manuel Fernandes back to Everton - Page 2 Empty Re: Manuel Fernandes back to Everton

Post by Tweesus Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:12 pm

I know plenty of strikers that have been regarded as world class that only score tap ins and penalties... its very underrated. Last season he got 13 EPL goals - which is a pretty decent total. Yakubu got 12 at Middlesbrough, if he can get that many at Everton then I think they'll be top 7 material for sure. All it takes is for one of the big 4 to not have the best of starts (first ten games usually provides an indicator) and Everton could be right in there - and they know how to do it: they managed it in the 04-05 season with a far worse squad
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Number of posts : 9523
    Supports : Decentralisation of the state
    Favourite Player : The lesser spotted Ronaldo
    Registration date : 2007-02-25

Manuel Fernandes back to Everton - Page 2 Empty Re: Manuel Fernandes back to Everton

Post by lrdsucksgoats Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:25 pm

Tweedle wrote:I know plenty of strikers that have been regarded as world class that only score tap ins and penalties...

I know plenty of players of all positions who have been regarded as world class but were nowhere near.

Johnson contributes nothing but goals, and he doesn't contribute that much in terms of goals. He's a homeless man's Michael Owen.

its very underrated. Last season he got 13 EPL goals - which is a pretty decent total. Yakubu got 12 at Middlesbrough, if he can get that many at Everton then I think they'll be top 7 material for sure.

I can see them finishing behind Tottenham and Newcastle for definite. So if it will be top 7, it'll be 7th place. But I doubt that, as West Ham and City are also pushing for those positions.

All it takes is for one of the big 4 to not have the best of starts (first ten games usually provides an indicator) and Everton could be right in there - and they know how to do it: they managed it in the 04-05 season with a far worse squad

Against far weaker opposition. That season Liverpool were fucking dreadful in the league, in part due to injuries to Cisse, Gerrard and Alonso. And there were no real up and coming teams. This season we have three or four who last year were nowhere near the competitive league places but this year should be aiming for top 10 at least.

We'll see what happens come the end of the season, I may be wrong. But right now it would surprise me immensely if Everton finished top 4.
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
    Supports : Arsenal
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Sheffield gunner Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:29 pm

Tweedle wrote:I know plenty of strikers that have been regarded as world class that only score tap ins and penalties... its very underrated. Last season he got 13 EPL goals - which is a pretty decent total. Yakubu got 12 at Middlesbrough, if he can get that many at Everton then I think they'll be top 7 material for sure. All it takes is for one of the big 4 to not have the best of starts (first ten games usually provides an indicator) and Everton could be right in there - and they know how to do it: they managed it in the 04-05 season with a far worse squad

The very best poachers tend to have tremendous situational awareness and read the game very well, they usually have a good touch as well and obviously are great finishers. I don't think Johnson is quite good enough on any of these counts. He is a good player, but nothing special in my opinion. He works hard for the team and is a decent finisher who suits a team like Everton with their current style of play. I think at the highest level his lack of technical ability is exposed though.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:34 pm

Sheffield gunner wrote:
    Tweedle wrote:I know plenty of strikers that have been regarded as world class that only score tap ins and penalties... its very underrated. Last season he got 13 EPL goals - which is a pretty decent total. Yakubu got 12 at Middlesbrough, if he can get that many at Everton then I think they'll be top 7 material for sure. All it takes is for one of the big 4 to not have the best of starts (first ten games usually provides an indicator) and Everton could be right in there - and they know how to do it: they managed it in the 04-05 season with a far worse squad

The very best poachers tend to have tremendous situational awareness and read the game very well, they usually have a good touch as well and obviously are great finishers. I don't think Johnson is quite good enough on any of these counts. He is a good player, but nothing special in my opinion. He works hard for the team and is a decent finisher who suits a team like Everton with their current style of play. I think at the highest level his lack of technical ability is exposed though.

I agree with that, but it still shouldn't affect Everton's chances of coming fourth. He'll get you 15 goals or so, the Yak will chip in with a similar amount.

Spurs on paper have a far better squad, but they don't seem to always have the luck. Their style of play is also similar to ours and can sometimes be unproductive whereas Everton can easily enough go route one and get the results against the more physical sides
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:37 pm

Roger Hunterrific wrote:Against far weaker opposition. That season Liverpool were fucking dreadful in the league, in part due to injuries to Cisse, Gerrard and Alonso. And there were no real up and coming teams. This season we have three or four who last year were nowhere near the competitive league places but this year should be aiming for top 10 at least.

We'll see what happens come the end of the season, I may be wrong. But right now it would surprise me immensely if Everton finished top 4.

They had a pretty awful squad back then though. Very much inferior to their present squad.

I just think they may surprise a few people this season. They seem to be gambling this summer anyway and the acquisitions they've made/are making, I'm very impressed with
    Bashmachkin
    Bashmachkin

Number of posts : 2374
    Registration date : 2007-02-09

Post by Bashmachkin Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:39 pm

I agree largely with Saints. I am impressed with the fact that Everton have been relatively quiet through the summer yet look like theyre going to come through with two late, but top quality signings in Fernandes and probably Yakubu. I think without that, though Moyes seems to be getting the very best out of the team he has at the moment, they would have been likely to fall off the pace considerably at some point in the season, to have gone through a bad patch. With Fernandes and Yakubu they have a first eleven that is just as good as Newcastles or Citys, and I think they will have a good season, but I think they lack depth - Newcastle in particular have a lot more options, up front, in midfield and with regard to what formation we can play.

With Yakubu Everton should be okay up front considering they often play a lone striker and would have Johnson as well as Anichebe and Vaughan. But in defense, besides from at left back where they have Baines and Valente, they lack depth. In midfield I think they generally lack width and again have very little cover. Considering their first choice midfield could comprise five players - Fernandes and Jagielka, maybe Pienaar on the right and Arteta on the left with Cahill behind the striker - that would leave back up as Osman and Carsley, the latter of whom in particular I dont rate. Maybe Vaughan could drop deep too, but one or two injuries in defence or midfield and, like Saints says, the quality of their eleven would drop significantly.

I see them challenging for around sixth or seventh, but I cant see top four. I genuinely think Newcastle have the best chance, considering Tottenhams start, of mounting a challenge. If our defence gels and we get one or two more players in, then we have an attack with so much quality and so many options. And more than anyone else we have brought in proven Premiership players, a good number of whom should be reaching their peak.
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:40 pm

Yobo is poor imo. Always makes the odd mistake.

If I was Everton I'd play Jagielka in defence with Lescott. Cause it's not like they don't have enough midfielders now in Carsley, Pip Neville, Fernades, Pienaar, Cahill, Arteta & Osman.

Howard
    Pip Neville, Jagielka, Lescott, Baines
    Arteta, Fernades, Cahill, Osman
    Yakubu, Johnson

If they need to go defensive play Carsley and drop one of Cahill or Yakubu.
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:42 pm

I don't rate Neville in midfield at all
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:43 pm

@ bash

Jagielka can play anywhere across the back. Everton also have Stubbs who is more than decent back up.

In midfield McFadden can also play out on the wings or even centrally - someone you haven't mentioned.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:45 pm

Luis wrote:I don't rate Neville in midfield at all

what?
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:47 pm

Tweedle wrote:
    Luis wrote:I don't rate Neville in midfield at all

what?

Phil Neville. Parky included him in Everton's midfield list
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:48 pm

Then put him right back in the first XI.

He can play there in midfield if needed but is a better full back.
    Bashmachkin
    Bashmachkin

Number of posts : 2374
    Registration date : 2007-02-09

Post by Bashmachkin Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:52 pm

Tweedle wrote:@ bash

Jagielka can play anywhere across the back. Everton also have Stubbs who is more than decent back up.

In midfield McFadden can also play out on the wings or even centrally - someone you haven't mentioned.

Yeah, I know Jagielka can play across the back or as a central midfielder. For me, considering Everton do often go with one up top, hes the best suited to partner Fernandes in central midfield considering Pienaar may be a bit light there and I dont rate Carsley at all. Stubbs is okay but hes pretty old now, and I personally think Lescott and Yobo are significantly better. McFadden I simply forgot about, but again, I think if the likes of Arteta or Cahill were out, he would be a significantly poorer replacement.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:59 pm

Gutted, he's an awesome player. He'll never play to his potential under Moyes though, unless he grows wings. I still expect Everton to fall away once they start playing their waffa cup games, their squad is still small. They'll finish outside the top 8 i reckon.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:03 pm

Apparently he's undergoing a medical at present to rejoin them on loan.

Great signing if they get him. He's clearly a classy player. He's had a bad time at Valencia but under the right club, he can become a top class player.
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Post by lrdsucksgoats Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:58 pm

Merry Krimbo wrote:Gutted, he's an awesome player. He'll never play to his potential under Moyes though, unless he grows wings. I still expect Everton to fall away once they start playing their waffa cup games, their squad is still small. They'll finish outside the top 8 i reckon.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:09 pm

Anas Al-Liby wrote:
    Merry Krimbo wrote:Gutted, he's an awesome player. He'll never play to his potential under Moyes though, unless he grows wings. I still expect Everton to fall away once they start playing their waffa cup games, their squad is still small. They'll finish outside the top 8 i reckon.

I still think it. Everton are shithouse and i expect Villa and Pompey to finish ahead of them.
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Post by lrdsucksgoats Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:11 pm

Merry Krimbo wrote:
    Anas Al-Liby wrote:

I still think it. Everton are shithouse and i expect Villa and Pompey to finish ahead of them.

Fair enough...
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:39 pm

I think this is the wrong move for fernandes. he has shown potential in a long time but he is moving backwards. even more then he has to after the failiure at valencia.he should be playing for a big club.Inter would have been smart to go after him when they were looking instead of going after maniche.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:44 pm

supermadrid wrote:I think this is the wrong move for fernandes. he has shown potential in a long time but he is moving backwards. even more then he has to after the failiure at valencia.he should be playing for a big club.Inter would have been smart to go after him when they were looking instead of going after maniche.

Its hardly a move backwards.

If he can't get into the Valencia squad, what makes you think he'd get into the Inter squad?

Surely its better to be a first team regular somewhere rather than sit on the bench for someone like Valencia or Inter scratch
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:46 pm

Tweedle wrote:
    supermadrid wrote:I think this is the wrong move for fernandes. he has shown potential in a long time but he is moving backwards. even more then he has to after the failiure at valencia.he should be playing for a big club.Inter would have been smart to go after him when they were looking instead of going after maniche.

Its hardly a move backwards.

If he can't get into the Valencia squad, what makes you think he'd get into the Inter squad?

Surely its better to be a first team regular somewhere rather than sit on the bench for someone like Valencia or Inter scratch
    First of all he barely got a chance at valencia plus they have been a fucking mess.Koeman hates fernandes from his time in benfica from what i understand.it had nothing to do with him not being good enough. also inter are looking for someone to play alongside cambiasso so they dont have to use chivu in midfield and fernandes would be able to get that spot imo so he wouldnt be on the bench.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:51 pm

There were more politics than sporting reasons for him not getting into the Valencia squad. It wasn't only a question of his quality.
    Chocolate Thunder
    Chocolate Thunder

Number of posts : 15804
    Supports : Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool
    Registration date : 2007-01-06

Post by Chocolate Thunder Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:20 pm

Cking wrote:
    Axeslammer wrote:
    Cking wrote:
    Tweedle wrote:Everton is still a good destination - Everton have a very good three tiered midfield if they get him with Cahill and Arteta - 3 top class players that each offer something different.

So who owns the other 50% of his contract? private owners?

Everton are building a really good squad here
    i get coufounded by that dut to me being short of knowledge of transfer problems in UK.
    is it possible for someone to get me across?
    thanks.

Just ask l.r.d. about this, he knows everything about it.

Whistle
    hes not out here,maybe hes in bed now.

lol!

Hate to admit it but Everton's midfield, at least centerally looks very sound.

Arteta, Osman, Fernandes, Gravesen and Cahill(and eh Carsley and Neville) can all play in the middle.

It'd be interesting to see a midfield of.........

Osman-----Cahill---Gravesen---Fernandes-----Atreta

Cahill playing the supporting role and Yakubu just infront of them cause Johnson looks like garbage this season.
    StevieG
    StevieG

Number of posts : 1039
    Supports : 1.Valencia C F. 2.Stockport County
    Favourite Player : David Villa , Joaquin
    Registration date : 2007-07-22

Post by StevieG Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:50 pm

its right.

fernanades never had a chance when koeman came in .
    + the story of him doing a barton and getting put in jail for a night for a skirmish was the end.

he never got a chance at valencia.
    im not really bothered though never fort he was the right player for a team like us.
    Knoblauch

Number of posts : 592
    Supports : Sport Lisboa e Benfica
    Favourite Player : Lazer Markovic
    Registration date : 2007-03-01

Post by Knoblauch Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:23 am

He was on his way to Everton before being arrested. The problem with Fernandes is his attitude. And, if he doesn't change that, he'll never get close to fulfilling his potential. He's gone backwards, not as good a player now as when he first got in the Benfica team. He needs a manager like Camacho, and if Moyes is like that Everton can find themselves with a great player, if not, they'll just have a player that takes his wages.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:29 am

Johninho wrote:He was on his way to Everton before being arrested. The problem with Fernandes is his attitude. And, if he doesn't change that, he'll never get close to fulfilling his potential. He's gone backwards, not as good a player now as when he first got in the Benfica team. He needs a manager like Camacho, and if Moyes is like that Everton can find themselves with a great player, if not, they'll just have a player that takes his wages.

Moyes isn't exactly laid back. He's Scottish!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 3:16 am