Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+56
S4P
3zycupid
Super Progress
Deluded F*ck™
gone
Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U
Green Arrow
Oleguerisntthatbad
Hlebagone
BoBo Vieri 32
Rosy
Z
Glenarch of the Glen
Batman
Luso
GR
SuperMario
Kimbo
DD
chrissicross
DS
Red n' Black
Brian2468
Arnaud loves Catherine
Ricardo Jol
The Bulk
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!
COTR
Dwarf
robert
Enigma
Luis
L r d hAsta LueGo
monty
Parks lives
theflyingfrenchman
The-Frank-Tavern
Johnny_thunde_R
Puro
Fey
Napoléon
Calidad
The Pröfessör
Allez les rouges
DeLux
A & K
Axeslammer
Juligen
Sheffield gunner
fcb
Di Caniooooo!
Pierre Littbarski
Tweesus
Deano
Pirlo
bluenine
60 posters

Italy vs Scotland thread... bring it on!!

bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Italy vs Scotland thread... bring it on!! Empty Italy vs Scotland thread... bring it on!!

Post by bluenine Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:22 pm

Good to see Palladino getting his first call for his good work at Juve in last season and this.

I am a bit surprised by 7 strikers in the squad... a statement of intent, that the azzurri are likely to start 3 strikers?? It must be!!

Italy: Don picks Palladino
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Roberto Donadoni has called Raffaele Palladino and Alberto Gilardino for the Euro 2008 qualifier in Scotland, but not Alessandro Del Piero.

Under-21 international forward Palladino receives his debut senior cap for the crucial matches against Scotland and the Faroe Islands, as he is preferred to Juventus teammate Del Piero. Palladino has recently been playing as a wide midfielder in Turin – a role Del Piero has refused to perform for the Azzurri – and it is likely Donadoni wants him to continue in that position.

Gilardino is back in the side, although he missed today’s trip to Atalanta due to an ankle injury, while Mauro Camoranesi and Gianluca Zambrotta return from injury. Fiorentina revelations Franco Semioli and Riccardo Montolivo were in the squad for the friendly against South Africa last month, but are not included here.

The Azzurri will meet up at the Coverciano training ground on Monday afternoon and fly out to Glasgow on Friday. The potentially decisive Euro 2008 qualifier with Scotland is on Saturday evening at 17.00, while on Wednesday November 21 Italy welcome the Faroe Islands to Modena’s Stadio Braglia.

Italy squad
    Goalkeepers: Amelia (Livorno), Buffon (Juventus), Curci (Roma);
    Defenders: Barzagli (Palermo), Bonera (Milan), Cannavaro (Real Madrid), Chiellini (Juventus), Grosso (Lyon), Oddo (Milan), Panucci (Roma), Zambrotta (Barcelona);
    Midfielders: Ambrosini (Milan), Camoranesi (Juventus), De Rossi (Roma), Gattuso (Milan), Perrotta (Roma), Pirlo (Milan);
    Forwards: Di Natale (Udinese), Gilardino (Milan), Iaquinta (Juventus), Lucarelli (Shakhtar Donetsk), Palladino (Juventus), Quagliarella (Udinese), Toni (Bayern Munich).

Last edited by on Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Pirlo
    Pirlo

Number of posts : 2750
    Supports : AC Milan
    Favourite Player : Andrea Pirlo, Maldini, Costacurta, Nesta, Redondo, Rui Costa, R. Baggio, Sheva, Boban, Albertini, Seedorf, Kaka!
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Italy vs Scotland thread... bring it on!! Empty Re: Italy vs Scotland thread... bring it on!!

Post by Pirlo Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:30 pm

Looking to attack the Faeros probably,

Who knws how Donadoni will play against Scotland, all we need to do is avoid a defeat, but the pressure and problems are purely psychological. Take the crowd advantage away and you are simply left with 22 footballers competing tactically against each other, and with no disrepect, it is a contest that we are expected to win. Psychological preparation, patience and strength are the key attributes to this match, the experienced players will play.

Chiellini and Bonera as centre-backs, that will guarantee us two red cards lol! in fact. there are some rather volatile heads in this squad! we need the presence of the Matrix to calm them all down,
    Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United

Italy vs Scotland thread... bring it on!! Empty Re: Italy vs Scotland thread... bring it on!!

Post by Deano Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:42 pm

Gotta vbe careful against Scotland though...they are very capable of nicking a goal and sitting on that...
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:48 pm

Yeah, experience will be the key against the scots. I guess Donadoni will be tempted to use a 4-4-2 to start with, and shift to a 4-3-3 if things are not going Italys way. But I hope he sticks with a 4-3-3 and takes the attack to scotland... the scots cannot outscore Italy, and a frontline of Iaquinta-Toni-Quagliarella might be too much for them to handle. Its going to be a tough tough game in that environment.

Pirlo wrote:Looking to attack the Faeros probably,

Who knws how Donadoni will play against Scotland, all we need to do is avoid a defeat, but the pressure and problems are purely psychological. Take the crowd advantage away and you are simply left with 22 footballers competing tactically against each other, and with no disrepect, it is a contest that we are expected to win. Psychological preparation, patience and strength are the key attributes to this match, the experienced players will play.

Chiellini and Bonera as centre-backs, that will guarantee us two red cards lol! in fact. there are some rather volatile heads in this squad! we need the presence of the Matrix to calm them all down,
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Tweesus Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:50 pm

The benefit Scotland have is that their star players will be rested - many of them aren't first team regulars.

Have to attack their full backs though. That's where their main weakness lies
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:27 pm

Cometh the hour, cometh the Big Vince...

Italy vs Scotland thread... bring it on!! Iaquinta8iu
    Di Caniooooo!

Number of posts : 10829
    Supports : West Ham
    Favourite Player : Paolo Di Canio, Moore, Hurst, Peters
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Di Caniooooo! Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:42 pm

f@ck, its not on sentanta, anyone know where I can watch the match online, I'll pay if I have to! I'd prefer English announcers, not some Italian or chinese Cr@p
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:00 pm

Live on Sky Sports 1.

Scotland worries me, they are a young side built on spirit and will be doubly hard to beat at home. A lot will depend on whether the likes of Pirlo are able to dictate the pace, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to start the Milan midfield (Pirlo-Gattuso-Ambrosini) who are experts in doing that. But thats very defence minded and could easily back fire very badly.

Don't envy Donadoni his job. He will get critized to death if he loses, and will win no praise if he wins... its a nightmare game for the coach.

Lee Bowyer wrote:f@ck, its not on sentanta, anyone know where I can watch the match online, I'll pay if I have to! I'd prefer English announcers, not some Italian or chinese Cr@p
    Di Caniooooo!

Number of posts : 10829
    Supports : West Ham
    Favourite Player : Paolo Di Canio, Moore, Hurst, Peters
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Di Caniooooo! Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:06 pm

bluenine wrote:Live on Sky Sports 1.

Scotland worries me, they are a young side built on spirit and will be doubly hard to beat at home. A lot will depend on whether the likes of Pirlo are able to dictate the pace, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to start the Milan midfield (Pirlo-Gattuso-Ambrosini) who are experts in doing that. But thats very defence minded and could easily back fire very badly.

Don't envy Donadoni his job. He will get critized to death if he loses, and will win no praise if he wins... its a nightmare game for the coach.

Lee Bowyer wrote:f@ck, its not on sentanta, anyone know where I can watch the match online, I'll pay if I have to! I'd prefer English announcers, not some Italian or chinese Cr@p
    Doesn't help me considering we don't get sky over here.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:35 pm

Didn't realise you live outside UK... out here basically every pub will be showing the game live...

Lee Bowyer wrote:

Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United

Post by Deano Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:58 pm

bluenine wrote:Didn't realise you live outside UK... out here basically every pub will be showing the game live...

Lee Bowyer wrote:

Italy shirt and flag out for me...I'll go and watch it in a bar...
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:26 pm

I guess this thread is the appropriate place to post this:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/7091048.stm

A few weeks ago, Scottish fans enjoyed insulting the French and (I think) Italians and labeling them arrogant pricks, etc. when players of those teams said they would win.

I think with this article by Chick Young, the Italians have a right to feel equally angry...the BBC is supposed to be neutral, and ok, a little bit of patriotism is expected and allowable for big sporting events like this. But casting Scotland as good and Italy as the evil is bang out of order IMO.

He says Italy have "polluted" football, easily forgetting the attitudes and behaviour of Rangers and Celtic fans at their own derbies. And tbh, I personally feel Scotland have "polluted" football, with their $h!t, defensive, negative, hoofball, foul the other team, rely on luck and park the bus when the other team bombards you, tactics, and afterwards painting the $h!t on a stick as if it was some glorious achievement.

I also don't see the point of bringing up Materazzi's comments to Zidane...we all know that players swear and wind up each other on the pitch, and Scottish players aren't exactly angels when it comes to behaviour on the pitch or showing respect for others...step forward Duncan Ferguson and Barry Ferguson, as two examples off the top of my head.

The rest of the article is fine as an inspiration to his country, but the first paragraph is nothing but a clear insult to Italy. I have not even the slightest emotion or attachment, either positive or negative, with regards to Italy, yet that article still made me very angry when I read it this morning.

Rant over.
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by Sheffield gunner Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:36 pm

Absolute rubbish. The standard of some of the articles and regular columns on the BBC Sport site is pitifully poor and getting worse. This article offers absolutely no insight into the game, just tired stereotypes and subjectivity. It's dumbed-down drivel.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:57 am

I hope someone makes Gattuso read that filth... he will take care of the rest! Wink

The first few paragraphs are pure shite. I like the scottish fairytale, and know that most scots have only respect for Italian football. Its usually a few english "pundits" who write a lot of drivel on Italian football, most of us just ignore nuts like them... every country has its share of idiots.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:10 pm

I can honestly say that I;ve never read a Chick Young column on the BBC until now. The guy's clueless! Look at him for christs sake. Does that face unspire confidence?
    Juligen
    Juligen

Number of posts : 2551
    Supports : FLAMENGO
    Registration date : 2006-08-21

Post by Juligen Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:14 pm

I still think is astonishing the lack of credit that Italian Football gets in Europe, granted it is not my favorite style, but you have at least to respect them. They are FOUR times world champions, European Champions. We are not talking like a one generation triumph (like some nations) this is a team that has 6 WC finals in their history, and they only lost them to Brazil.

I would love to see Germany and Italy doing the European final. Truly European football Royalty. Ale
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:51 pm

juligen21 wrote:
    I would love to see Germany and Italy doing the European final. Truly European football Royalty. Ale

No one over here would watch though : the Italians parking the bus and the Germans are waiting for penalties anyway Laugh

Croatia vs Switzerland would make a great final with fine football on display IMO.
    Juligen
    Juligen

Post by Juligen Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:01 pm

Axeslammer wrote:
    No one over here would watch though : the Italians parking the bus and the Germans are waiting for penalties anyway Laugh

Really? I dont think so scratch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlmF0XJOVO0
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:10 pm

Axe, surely you don't still believe in the stereotype that the Italians "park the bus"!!! Shocked

As for Ita-Ger game, did you even see the semi final of the last world cup??? It was arguably the best game of the World Cup!!!

Axeslammer wrote:
    juligen21 wrote:

Croatia vs Switzerland would make a great final with fine football on display IMO.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Post by Axeslammer Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:20 pm

bluenine wrote:
    As for Ita-Ger game, did you even see the semi final of the last world cup??? It was arguably the best game of the World Cup!!!

ok
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Post by Axeslammer Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:27 pm

bluenine wrote:

On footballing merits I'd take :

* Croatia - Australia
    * Italy - USA
    * the last game of the Czechs
    * the African team in the Brazil group also had a heroic match IIRC

maybe also France - Brazil

Over Germany - Italy.

because of personal involvement I'd rate above Ita - Ger :

* England - T&T
    * Ivory Coast - Holland
    * Portugal - Holland
    * Italy - Australia

Croatia - Australia wins it easily for me though, great match that had it *all* Ale
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:51 pm

Axeslammer wrote:
    bluenine wrote:

ok

Ale
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:42 pm

For me, on footballing terms, the best games of the last world cup were:

1. Germany - Italy
    2. Germany - Argentina
    3. France - Brazil

IMO the stage and quality adds to the game/thrill as well....

Axeslammer wrote:
    bluenine wrote:

On footballing merits I'd take :

* Croatia - Australia
    * Italy - USA
    * the last game of the Czechs
    * the African team in the Brazil group also had a heroic match IIRC

maybe also France - Brazil

Over Germany - Italy.

because of personal involvement I'd rate above Ita - Ger :

* England - T&T
    * Ivory Coast - Holland
    * Portugal - Holland
    * Italy - Australia

Croatia - Australia wins it easily for me though, great match that had it *all* Ale

Last edited by on Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Juligen
    Juligen

Post by Juligen Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:09 pm

bluenine wrote:For me, on footballing terms, the best games were:

1. Germany - Italy
    2. Germany - Argentina
    3. France - Brazil

Those are my favorites
    Germany- Italy (it was great)
    Brazil- Argentina (Always a great game with lots of goals)
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:13 pm

bluenine wrote:Axe, surely you don't still believe in the stereotype that the Italians "park the bus"!!! Shocked

Of course he does - he comes from the same country as this blinkered arsehole:

Italy vs Scotland thread... bring it on!! Hiddink_toch_vervolgd_voor_belastingfrau
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:21 pm

We were talking about the last world cup, but generally speaking the games you mention are my favourites as well. Actually all games between the Big4 are exciting. Its no coincidence that these 4 countries have won 14 of the 18 world cups!!

juligen21 wrote:
    bluenine wrote:For me, on footballing terms, the best games were:

1. Germany - Italy
    2. Germany - Argentina
    3. France - Brazil

Those are my favorites
    Germany- Italy (it was great)
    Brazil- Argentina (Always a great game with lots of goals)
    A & K

Number of posts : 3347
    Registration date : 2006-08-12

Post by A & K Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:38 pm

I'll be cheering for Italia this weekend, should be a very intense game Italy need a draw and Scotland a win. It's weird their programmed Scotland-Italy and Ukraine-France on different days. If Italy win, there won't be any point for France playing on Wednesday.
    As for the Italians parking the bus during games, they can afford doing that since they always had great goal keepers and defenders. Whether or not someone doesn't like to watch Italy play, you have to admit that technically and tactically they are a joy to watch.
    DeLux
    DeLux

Number of posts : 4399
    Supports : Celta Vigo
    Favourite Player : Mostovoi, Xavi, David Silva, Valerón, Raúl
    Registration date : 2006-08-10

Post by DeLux Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:43 pm

What about Mexico-Argentina?
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Number of posts : 8098
    Supports : Deutschland, Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jens Lehmann

Post by Allez les rouges Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:07 pm

Agree with Blue's selcetion of the best footballing World Cup games from last year – you have to remember to factor out Axe's unreasoned Germanophobia when discussing these things...

kas wrote:I guess this thread is the appropriate place to post this:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/7091048.stm

A few weeks ago, Scottish fans enjoyed insulting the French and (I think) Italians and labeling them arrogant pricks, etc. when players of those teams said they would win.

I think with this article by Chick Young, the Italians have a right to feel equally angry...the BBC is supposed to be neutral, and ok, a little bit of patriotism is expected and allowable for big sporting events like this. But casting Scotland as good and Italy as the evil is bang out of order IMO.

He says Italy have "polluted" football, easily forgetting the attitudes and behaviour of Rangers and Celtic fans at their own derbies. And tbh, I personally feel Scotland have "polluted" football, with their $h!t, defensive, negative, hoofball, foul the other team, rely on luck and park the bus when the other team bombards you, tactics, and afterwards painting the $h!t on a stick as if it was some glorious achievement.

I also don't see the point of bringing up Materazzi's comments to Zidane...we all know that players swear and wind up each other on the pitch, and Scottish players aren't exactly angels when it comes to behaviour on the pitch or showing respect for others...step forward Duncan Ferguson and Barry Ferguson, as two examples off the top of my head.

The rest of the article is fine as an inspiration to his country, but the first paragraph is nothing but a clear insult to Italy. I have not even the slightest emotion or attachment, either positive or negative, with regards to Italy, yet that article still made me very angry when I read it this morning.

Rant over.

Embarassed Yikes

Err, SERIOUS sense of humour failure going on here, no?!?

I count myself as something of an Italophile myself, but this column is intended to be largely HUMOROUS and purely to give a picture of the fan's extremely biased mindset before the big game. It's NOT supposed to be taken seriously (although God knows there are enough reasons to have a problem with Italy's football culture, and the catastrophic sectarianism in Glasgow is no counterargument).

Nor do I see that Barça fans have any cause whatever to complain about "anti-football" when their expensively assembled team of superstars spearheaded by Messrs Messi, Ronaldinho and Henry prove incapable of finding away through a Scottish team of relative paupers, but one with HEART and national pride that money can't buy.

No one takes Chick Young seriously (and Tweedle, you have made sarcastic remarks about his BBC contributions on here before, so you have at least glanced at his admittedly less-than-enlightening efforts before) – but the fairytale is still on, however unlikely.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:46 pm

Another great game, right up there with the other 3 I mentioned.

Juego de la Okkas wrote:What about Mexico-Argentina?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 7:56 am