Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
Tweesus
COTR
Luis
Sgoater1
Deluded F*ck™
robert
shazlx
Allez les rouges
S4P
Isco Benny
Deano
Parks lives
16 posters

Boxing day winners and losers

Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Boxing day winners and losers Empty Boxing day winners and losers

Post by Parks lives Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:13 am

Winners

The 41,686 In Attendance At Stamford Bridge
    Eight goals, three red cards, last-minute drama and the game of the season.

Manchester United
    So that's how a table-topping team wins in the north-east against relegation candidates without four (or more) first-teamers.

"I said earlier in the season that I think this is one of my strongest squads and I think the players are proving that at the moment," remarked an understandably smug Sir Alex before leaving Wearside.

The only surprise is that the champions are only a single point clear at the top of the table having won 14 of their last 16 matches.

Roy Keane
    'Sir Alex: Learn to lose, Roy' announced the backpage of the Daily Mirror on Boxing Day morning.

How generous of Sir Alex to then supply his former protégé some extra practice.

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Long-range goals - and the latest was his 15th goal in 13 matches - has replaced the step-over as the Manchester United winger's trademark.

Just imagine what a player Ronaldo will be when the critics are finally sated by the regular deliverance of an end product...

Fernando Torres
    A couple of Derby supporters sitting directly behind the home goal and clad in black and white were so overcome by the sublime quality of Torres' goal that they instantly burst into applause when the Spaniard scored.

Tim Cahill
    Everton's most important player and the best player outside of the top four.

Having missed the start of the season through injury, Tim Cahill returned to action on October 25. In the fourteen matches that have followed since, Everton have been defeated just once (at Old Trafford on Saturday) and the Aussie has scored eight times.

In the ten league matches the Toffees played without their talisman, they were defeated five times.

Tottenham Hotspur
    The return of Ledley King, whose appearance against Fulham was his first of the season, is another reason to believe that, although Tottenham are in a worse position than they were expected to be at the start of the season, they are actually in a better state to finish the campaign with a piece of silverware.

Tom Huddlestone
    But Huddlestone is a difficult player to champion due to the suspicion that he could be a very good player and isn't particularly bothered that he isn't.

Reading
    Enjoying the benefits of a settled line-up, the Royals are now a healthy eight points clear of the relegation zone and have just four less than they did at this stage last year. Second Season Syndrome must be a trivial affliction then.

Ryan Taylor
    Both of the Wigan full-back's Premiership goals have been free-kicks in 1-0 wins over Newcastle.

Steve Bruce
    Of Wigan's total of 16 points from 19 matches, half have been collected in the five matches in which Bruce has been charge.

Alex McLeish
    And of Birmingham's total of 18 points from 19 matches, seven have been collected in the five matches in which McLeish has been charge.

It is a sad indictment of professional footballers in general that they are so consistently able to improve their performances whenever the arrival of a new manager puts their continued employment in jeopardy.

Drawers

Portsmouth
    While the post-match conference on Sky Sports gave full licence to Jamie Redknapp to defend his defensive father by arguing that Arsenal require a second striker, the summary neglected to mention there is a similar debate being conducted amongst the Pompey support who, although appreciative of their side's efforts, are increasingly perplexed at Redknapp senior's refusal to deploy a second striker on home turf.

There is, as Redknapp junior maintained, no obligation to entertain. Likewise, Pompey are entitled to regard a point against a team with title-winning aspirations as a respectable return. But the excuses for negativity can only stretch so far - and it reached breaking point long before Arsenal travelled south. Outside of the Redknapp household, the 'what did Arsenal expect?' brigade will fail to find many additional recruits on the south coast after Pompey functioned in precisely the same manner against Everton and Tottenham earlier this month. Goal-shy tedium has become the norm at Fratton Park. Pompey haven't scored in front of their own support for 88 days and have failed to find the target in six of their past seven home matches.

Protesting too much, Arry hailed the stalemate as a "great result, a terrific result" but it only deserved such an accolade if your allegiance was with Manchester United. Portsmouth's inability to score at home is proving their undoing - and has proved so before. When Arsenal travelled to Portsmouth on the final day of last season, there was little reason for the home support to cheer as another stalemate cost the club their first-ever qualification for Europe.

Losers

Sam Allardyce
    2007 has been Allardyce's Annus horribilis. It began with his Bolton side in third place before a dismal run of four wins in eleven hastened the acceptance that club and manager had gone as far as they could in combination, and it ends with Allardyce on the brink of dismissal at Newcastle with his reputation as an innovator in tatters.

There are many who will delight in seeing Allardyce fail. Significantly, many of them are regular residents of St James' Park.

Weighed against the argument that Newcastle require stability is the crushing disappointment of performances and results. As unedifying as the gross humiliation of collecting just a single point in two games against Derby and the limp capitulation at Wigan is a long-ball style of play that makes a lie of Allardyce's promise that he is capable of providing a varied style of play. If he cannot transform himself, what chance the transformation of Newcastle?

All the problems he inherited are still in working order. But added into an already toxic mix has been a series of baffling team selections and formations. At Bolton, Allardyce liked to plead over-achievement. At Newcastle, with the players he has at his disposal, seven wins in nineteen games is unacceptable under-achievement. Tellingly, chairman Chris Mort announced in November he was loathe to sanction a new spending spree because of the deficiencies of those players Allardyce brought in during the summer. Why, in other words, risk more good money going after bad?

Once matches are consigned to memory, football is all about opinion. If it is the opinion of Mort and owner Mike Ashley that Allardyce, who was appointed by the previous regime, is not the man to take forward then the club would be better served by a quick resolution rather than the misguided pursuit of stability for stability's sake.

Ashley watched the defeat at Wigan from the away end and would have heard better than most the cacophony of booing that greeted the final whistle (edited out of the MoTD highlights, presumably to save Alan Shearer from the arduous task of climbing off the fence). The reaction of the home support to another defeat, against Chelski on Saturday, may prove the final straw.

"I'm not happy to have my future in their hands," said Allardyce after defeat at Wigan. Unfortunately for him, his destiny is in their hands.

Petr Cech
    A goalkeeper should not be judged on the number of great saves he pulls off but the number of avoidable mistakes he makes.

Cech, no longer the best goalkeeper in the world on account of that measuring guide, has made two howlers in three matches. But for the cost of those errors, Chelski would be just a solitary point behind Arsenal.

Chelski
    Their unbeaten home run remains intact but a draw at Stamford Bridge constitutes a mini-defeat.

Seven points adrift of top spot, they will complete the busiest period on the football calendar without their talisman and captain, possibly Frank Lampard, definitely the suspended Ricardo Carvalho and Cashley Cole, and that sinking feeling that they are slipping out of the title race at the half-way stage of the season.

Arsene Wenger
    A draw at Portsmouth was neither a bad result nor a good result for Arsenal. Ambiguous but acceptable, it was also the identical result to the one achieved at Fratton Park by Manchester United and Liverpool earlier this term.

Yet it was not an impressive evening for the Arsenal manager whose tactical shortcomings were once again apparent. Arsene Wenger's complaints about Portsmouth's negativity would have possessed some validity if only he hadn't deployed his side in precisely the same 4-5-1 formation as their hosts. The Frenchman's reluctance to field a second striker as a companion to the isolated Emmanuel Adebayor grows more perplexing - and frustrating - with every passing week.

In fairness, Wenger has voiced his concerns that Nicklas Bendtner is too similar to Adebayor to be his ideal partner, but, having admitted he erred in packing the midfield against Manchester United almost two months ago, how could Wenger fail to appreciate the lesson of Tottenham this week when Bendtner's belated introduction rectified another fitful performance? Given even less time against Pompey, the striker's cameo coincided with Arsenal's only genuinely threatening period in the match.

Wenger's myopia hasn't cleared up, it's just found another blurred reality.

Johan Djourou
    The level of anxiety at Arsenal over Kolo Toure's month-long summons to the African Nations Cup will have been ratcheted up a notch or two in recent weeks. Although Wenger has confirmed he will call back Djourou from Birmingham as cover, he will be fully aware that the defender has rarely impressed during his loan stint. Djourou's mistake against Bolton, casually throwing in the ball for Nicolas Anelka to pounce, was precisely the type of match-scenario mistake that his five-month sojournment was supposed to eradicate.

His demotion to the bench on Boxing Day, to watch Brum record only their second clean sheet of the season, was as deserved as it was foreboding for both player and permanent employers.

Freddie Ljungberg
    In terms of career choice and the work he has produced since, the £3m transfer of Freddie Ljungberg from Arsenal to West Ham in the summer, complete with a parting shot at the Gunners' perceived lack of ambition following the sale of Thierry Henry, surely represents the worst deal of the year.

Darren Bent's £16m transfer rivals the folly of Ljungberg's move across London but leaving Charlton for Tottenham was an upgrade and, in any case, time remains on the 23-year-old's side. In comparison, time has not been kind to Freddie. The sharp pace on which his game was based - note the past tense - has been blunted and as a consequence the goals, which once made him one of the league's most valuable players, have dried up. Yet to score for his new employers, his goal at Manchester City in May 2006 is his only Premiership strike in over two and a half years.

Fulham
    Awful. Martin Jol reportedly rejected an overture from Fulham last week because he feared the Cottagers' 'squad may not be strong enough to avoid relegation from the Barclays Premier League this season.'

One sympathises with the Fulham chief executive on the other end of the phone when Jol delivered his unarguable riposte.

Pete Gill
    Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Boxing day winners and losers Empty Re: Boxing day winners and losers

Post by Deano Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:18 am

What a wanker...Ljungberg has played well in the games he's played...and why compare the transfer of Ljungberg to the one of Bent when Bent cost more than 5 times the price Doh

Bent has flopped and Ljungberg hasn't. A stupid dig at Ljungberg with an overall dig at us...pathetic tbh...
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:19 am

Tom Huddlestone
    But Huddlestone is a difficult player to champion due to the suspicion that he could be a very good player and isn't particularly bothered that he isn't.

lol!

In fairness, its his languid style and the fact he was overweight when Ramos joined that lends credence to this belief.

Technically, he's right up there with the best. Strikes a ball sweeter than any player I know in the Prem.
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:39 am

Parks lives wrote:Petr Cech
    A goalkeeper should not be judged on the number of great saves he pulls off but the number of avoidable mistakes he makes.

Cech, no longer the best goalkeeper in the world on account of that measuring guide, has made two howlers in three matches. But for the cost of those errors, Chelski would be just a solitary point behind Arsenal.

Like I said, should never have played yesterday. Don't think he would've had Cudicini been available, the management don't seem to trust Hilario.

Oh and someone can't add up. We'd be 2 points behind Arsenal.
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Number of posts : 8098
    Supports : Deutschland, Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jens Lehmann

Post by Allez les rouges Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:04 pm

Oh god, his comments on Arsenal are IDENTICAL in sentiment to the ones I just posted on the team thread – phrased from a non-fan's perspective of course...
    shazlx
    shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
    Supports : Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
    Registration date : 2006-11-08

Post by shazlx Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:06 pm

Arsene Wenger
    Yet it was not an impressive evening for the Arsenal manager whose tactical shortcomings were once again apparent. Arsene Wenger's complaints about Portsmouth's negativity would have possessed some validity if only he hadn't deployed his side in precisely the same 4-5-1 formation as their hosts. The Frenchman's reluctance to field a second striker as a companion to the isolated Emmanuel Adebayor grows more perplexing - and frustrating - with every passing week.

In fairness, Wenger has voiced his concerns that Nicklas Bendtner is too similar to Adebayor to be his ideal partner, but, having admitted he erred in packing the midfield against Manchester United almost two months ago, how could Wenger fail to appreciate the lesson of Tottenham this week when Bendtner's belated introduction rectified another fitful performance? Given even less time against Pompey, the striker's cameo coincided with Arsenal's only genuinely threatening period in the match.

Wenger's myopia hasn't cleared up, it's just found another blurred reality.
    Why doesn't the media say this more repeatedly and viciously. Wenger is a proud man I'm sure he would change his ways if the media kept hounding him. I hate this anti-Arsenal media.

So, again: I hate 451.
    Not just because its makes us less likely to score but IMO for some reason we ironically become less solid and are more likely to concede. Worst of all, the football we play is too ugly, its unwatchable at times. I'm seriously not exaggerating when I say its almost as bad as watching Liverpool.
    robert
    robert

Number of posts : 5672
    Supports : Manchester United
    Favourite Player : Giggs
    Registration date : 2006-08-14

Post by robert Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:07 pm

Wow, wouldn't go that far but I certainly nodded off for the 1st 45 mins of your match yesterday.
    shazlx
    shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
    Supports : Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
    Registration date : 2006-11-08

Post by shazlx Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:10 pm

robert wrote:Wow, wouldn't go that far but I certainly nodded off for the 1st 45 mins of your match yesterday.
    shazlx wrote:I'm seriously not exaggerating when I say its almost as bad as watching Liverpool.
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Post by Allez les rouges Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:16 pm

Yeah I broadly agree, but there's 4-5-1 and 4-5-1 – against Liverpool and United the formation didn't look defensive at all, with the same players... and would you say the French or Italian 4-5-1s at the World Cup deserved the same criticism? I suppose so...

Still, there are reasons for playing it, especially if you have only one fit/decent striker...
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:17 pm

Ballack & Sheva should be in the winners section. F365 have been very quick to dump them both in the losers section when they've played poorly (same applies for various other EPL players of course).
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Post by Allez les rouges Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:32 pm

ok <Ale> ok
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:37 pm

shazlx wrote:
    robert wrote:Wow, wouldn't go that far but I certainly nodded off for the 1st 45 mins of your match yesterday.
    shazlx wrote:I'm seriously not exaggerating when I say its almost as bad as watching Liverpool.

I still wouldn't go that far Laughing

Post by Guest Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:40 pm

Oh the hilarity. Never have I found the same joke repeated again, and again, and again, and again, and again so damn funny. 10/10 for originality there, well done.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:51 pm

S4P wrote:Ballack & Sheva should be in the winners section. F365 have been very quick to dump them both in the losers section when they've played poorly (same applies for various other EPL players of course).

I agree.

They totally missed that Robbie Keane should be in the Winners as well for getting 100 EPL goals. If Torres reaches that milestone, no doubt there'll be a parade going from Anfield to the Vicente Calderón, and a centerfold spread in the next days tabloids.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City

Post by Sgoater1 Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:00 pm

Dont get me wrong Tim Cahill his a great player but i wouldnt say he is the best outside the top four, for a start he isnt better than fellow Evertonian Arteta, whilst there is no way id swap him for Elano.
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:01 pm

Sgoater1 wrote:Dont get me wrong Tim Cahill his a great player but i wouldnt say he is the best outside the top four, for a start he isnt better than fellow Evertonian Arteta, whilst there is no way id swap him for Elano.

I think Cahill will get you more goals than Arteta, I would have Cahill over Arteta to be honest, I'll give Elano a whole season before saying whether he's better than Cahill
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:14 pm

Luis wrote:
    Sgoater1 wrote:Dont get me wrong Tim Cahill his a great player but i wouldnt say he is the best outside the top four, for a start he isnt better than fellow Evertonian Arteta, whilst there is no way id swap him for Elano.

I think Cahill will get you more goals than Arteta, I would have Cahill over Arteta to be honest, I'll give Elano a whole season before saying whether he's better than Cahill

It's like saying you'd rather have Lampard than Scholes, or Maniche instead of Deco... no, just no.
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:28 pm

I think Cahill is better than both Arteta and Elano...
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:37 pm

Scott Parker wrote:I think Cahill is better than both Arteta and Elano...
    I personally do not think he even comes close to an elano or arteta

They can both control the way their teams play whereas cahill like lampard is just the recipient of other peoples hard work
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:44 pm

I don't agree with that. Watching Everton, he does more than just act as a recipient for others work. Personal opinion then...I still would rather Cahill out of all 3...
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:49 pm

The balance of Cahill AND Arteta is what has made Everton so good recently.

they both compliment each ither perfectly.

Very different players though so can't really compare. Arteta is the more gifted technically, whereas Cahill is better in the air, better at finishing and better at sniffing out a chance. Lampard Mark II
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:06 pm

In all honesty, I never notice Cahill until he appears near or in the Penalty area.

Great Celebration though ok

Boxing day winners and losers 0,5001,5720338,00
    Black Magic

Number of posts : 7514
    Registration date : 2007-10-14

Post by Black Magic Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:10 pm

Scott Parker wrote:I don't agree with that. Watching Everton, he does more than just act as a recipient for others work. Personal opinion then...I still would rather Cahill out of all 3...

And that my friend, is what is wrong with English football.

You'd rather have another Scott Parker rather than a Nobby Solano?
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:21 pm

Parks lives wrote:

Tim Cahill
    Everton's most important player

ok

Parks lives wrote:
    and the best player outside of the top four.

Yikes
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:23 pm

Black Magic wrote:
    Scott Parker wrote:I don't agree with that. Watching Everton, he does more than just act as a recipient for others work. Personal opinion then...I still would rather Cahill out of all 3...

Well you need one of each FFS Doh

All I said is I'd rather have Cahill...does that mean I think Arteta is rubbish? No...I'm a big fan of both...and as Tweedle said...thats the reason Everton are so good.
    Two Parker type players or Two Solano type players would be no good would it?

Parker isn't the same kind of player as Cahill anyway...
    Puro
    Puro

Number of posts : 10679
    Registration date : 2006-09-12

Post by Puro Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:29 pm

Black Magic wrote:

WOW! Black Magic, are you really 16? Kudos to you young man for already spotting quality at such young age. <Ale>

Many football fans are completely unaware of the true Maestros of the game such as Nobby. Even some sports journos don't know how to properly watch football, they gave MOTM to the Reading player EVEN after watching Nobby's recital. Good for you Black Magic! Biggrin <Ale>
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:30 pm

Puro wrote:
    Black Magic wrote:

WOW! Black Magic, are you really 16? Kudos to you young man for already spotting quality at such young age. <Ale>

Many football fans are completely unaware of the true Maestros of the game such as Nobby. Even some sports journos don't know how to properly watch football, they gave MOTM to the Reading player EVEN after watching Nobby's recital. Good for you Black Magic! Biggrin <Ale>

Tha's right...kudos to him. Let's all have 4 wingers in our team.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:31 pm

Parks lives wrote:
    Losers

Johan Djourou
    The level of anxiety at Arsenal over Kolo Toure's month-long summons to the African Nations Cup will have been ratcheted up a notch or two in recent weeks. Although Wenger has confirmed he will call back Djourou from Birmingham as cover, he will be fully aware that the defender has rarely impressed during his loan stint. Djourou's mistake against Bolton, casually throwing in the ball for Nicolas Anelka to pounce, was precisely the type of match-scenario mistake that his five-month sojournment was supposed to eradicate.

I may be wrong but I'm sure a few weeks ago Djourou was in the winners section with the writer blowing smoke about how lucky Wenger was to be able to recall him since Senderos is shite.
    Black Magic

Post by Black Magic Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:32 pm

Scott Parker wrote:
    Black Magic wrote:

All I said is I'd rather have Cahill...does that mean I think Arteta is rubbish? No...I'm a big fan of both...and as Tweedle said...thats the reason Everton are so good.
    Two Parker type players or Two Solano type players would be no good would it?

Parker isn't the same kind of player as Cahill anyway...

You have already got enough of those players though mate, only one Solano type player. Etherington, Dyer, Bowyer dont have the creativity combined to match the amount of Solano.

Like I said before, West Ham lack creativity, very few chances are created by you guys. It's always the British to go for the scorer rather than the assist man.

Parker isn't the same kind of player as Cahill anyway

I was talking about it in a technical sense, I thought you would understand that.
    Black Magic

Post by Black Magic Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:34 pm

Puro wrote:
    Black Magic wrote:

Cheers mate. <Ale>

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 2:53 pm