Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+19
Kimbo
Chris 23*
Tweesus
Deluded F*ck™
Calidad
The Easter Bunny
L r dd
Six
TheCrazy58
Bashmachkin
Chocolate Thunder
Aristoskank
Batman
COTR
Jaime
stinger
Glenarch of the Glen
Football Genius
Luis
23 posters

Liverpool sign Glen Johnson

Poll

Good buy?

[ 18 ]
    Liverpool sign Glen Johnson - Page 4 Bar_left58%Liverpool sign Glen Johnson - Page 4 Bar_right [58%] 
    [ 13 ]
    Liverpool sign Glen Johnson - Page 4 Bar_left42%Liverpool sign Glen Johnson - Page 4 Bar_right [42%] 

Total Votes: 31
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Liverpool sign Glen Johnson - Page 4 Empty Re: Liverpool sign Glen Johnson

Post by debaser Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:33 pm

Spider Crouch wrote:So what's the general consensus so far from Pool fans re: Johnson.

Yes he cost a lot of money, and seems like he's also being paid quite a lot,

but from what I've seen he's been your best player in all 3 games so far this season. Carrying on where he left off for Portsmouth.

And for the record, last season Kimmy tried to tell me that Beye was better than Johnson.

Hopefully that one will be put to bed alongside the "N'Zogbia is greater than Lennon" twaddle from a couple of years back (and we do go along way back hey Kimbo) Ale

Remember Monday?

Team with Beye concedes: 1 goal.

Team with Johnson concedes: 3 goals.

cheers
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:34 pm

Spider Crouch wrote:So what's the general consensus so far from Pool fans re: Johnson.

but from what I've seen he's been your best player in all 3 games so far this season. Carrying on where he left off for Portsmouth.

And for the record, last season Kimmy tried to tell me that Beye was better than Johnson.

Hopefully that one will be put to bed alongside the "N'Zogbia is greater than Lennon" twaddle from a couple of years back (and we do go along way back hey Kimbo) Ale

I said he was more defensively sound, and therefore i would pick him. Apparently Beye put in a great performance against Pool on monday, so there you go. <Ale>

Also N'Zogbia is still better than Lennon, just because he is at Wigan that doesn't change.
    Zack

Number of posts : 1571
    Supports : Tottenham Hotspur
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by Zack Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:49 pm

Kimbo wrote:

I said he was more defensively sound, and therefore i would pick him. Apparently Beye put in a great performance against Pool on monday, so there you go. <Ale>

Also N'Zogbia is still better than Lennon, just because he is at Wigan that doesn't change.

lol! lol!

STILL better than Lennon? He never was in the first place.

N'Zogbia's a decent player...but... Lennon>>>>Bentley>>>>N'Zog
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:53 pm

Zack wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:

lol! lol!

STILL better than Lennon? He never was in the first place.

N'Zogbia's a decent player...but... Lennon>>>>Bentley>>>>N'Zog

If we run through their qualities you'll find N'Zogbia is easily the better player.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:59 pm

lol!

Your a stubborn bumpkin, I'll definitely give you that.

Firstly - Beye V Johnson:

Defenders like Beye are 10 to a penny. Big, strong, willing to put themselves about.

Compare how many genuinely gifted fullbacks are there in -not only the Premiership but in World Football- who can also provide an attacking threat in the way that Johnson can?

Don't answer, because I'm going to tell you - very few.

And as for that last statement you've just crowbarred into there, as if I wasn't going to notice:

What on earth has N'Zogbia done to suggest he's better than Lennon? I'm not even going to check if he played in last night's 4-1 thrashing by Blackpool.

Ok, let's allow The FA premier league's official fantasy football website settle this:

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/M/stats.mc?element_filter=et_2&stat_filter=10&price_filter=&view

to date, Lennon has accumulate 17 points, the 3rd highest out of all the midfielders playing in the Prem.

N Zogbia, a pitiful 19th place with 10 points.

So, do yourself a favour: Apologise to TS, then apologise to me for ever doubting our general brilliance. And just thank the lord we're the forgiving kind.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:01 pm

Johnson is a fairly dodgy defender, in fairness.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:05 pm

Spider Crouch wrote:
    Defenders like Beye are 10 to a penny. Big, strong, willing to put themselves about.

Compare how many genuinely gifted fullbacks are there in -not only the Premiership but in World Football- who can also provide an attacking threat in the way that Johnson can?

Don't answer, because I'm going to tell you - very few.

Fast, experienced, good positioning, good leadership, fairly good on the ball. Some Beye stats from just last season.

With:
    Games: 22
    Wins: 7
    Draws: 8
    Loss: 7
    GF: 26
    GA: 27

Without:
    Games: 20
    Wins: 1
    Draws: 6
    Losses: 13
    GF: 18
    GA: 43
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:11 pm

Spider Crouch wrote:And as for that last statement you've just crowbarred into there, as if I wasn't going to notice:

What on earth has N'Zogbia done to suggest he's better than Lennon? I'm not even going to check if he played in last night's 4-1 thrashing by Blackpool.

Ok, let's allow The FA premier league's official fantasy football website settle this:

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/M/stats.mc?element_filter=et_2&stat_filter=10&price_filter=&view

to date, Lennon has accumulate 17 points, the 3rd highest out of all the midfielders playing in the Prem.

N Zogbia, a pitiful 19th place with 10 points.

So, do yourself a favour: Apologise to TS, then apologise to me for ever doubting our general brilliance. And just thank the lord we're the forgiving kind.

I would ask you what Lennon has done to suggest he's better than N'Zogbia?

Fantasy football is bollocks so i won't bother reading the link.

The argument has always been who has the more potential and who is more talented, as far as i'm concerned neither player has had a great season and N'Zogbia hasn't come close to realising his potential as he as a terrible attitude. Last season especially was awful for him. Right now i doubt whether either player will have a big future. But if you ask me who is more talented, i will say N'Zogbia every time.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:11 pm

debaser wrote:

Remember Monday?

Team with Beye concedes: 1 goal.

Team with Johnson concedes: 3 goals.

cheers

Team with Ashley Young: 0 goals

Team with Charles N'Zogshit: 2 goals

We can do this all day. Smiley
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:17 pm

if after 3 games you were compiling a team of the season so far, Johnson would be nailed on for the right back spot. Can't complain about this signing, even if he is being paid £1,000,000 a week.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag

Post by Isco Benny Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:23 pm

You're so silly Kimbo. You remind me of my neighbour's dog before it was put down a couple of years ago - it was great fun to play with, but ultimately just a little bit silly chasing it's tail around in the front yard and trying to munch on hedgehogs.

It's okay, I forgive you though - not everyone can be as knowlegeable as the likes of myself and TS.

Lennon compliments our midfield well, he provides an outlet for the team to turn defence into attack. We accumulated the 5th highest number of points in the league, only behind the big 4, post Redknapp's appointment. Lennon played a big part in that success. So despite your stubborness to accept it, he did have a very good season last year and was nominated for Young Player of the Year award.

It's easy to wax on about potential - N Zogbia may or may not have more natural ability (I would disagree anyway), but if he's not showing it, it's pointless. Innit Ale
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:29 pm

*ignores Beye stats*
    Spider Crouch wrote:You're so silly Kimbo. You remind me of my neighbour's dog before it was put down a couple of years ago - it was great fun to play with, but ultimately just a little bit silly chasing it's tail around in the front yard and trying to munch on hedgehogs.

It's okay, I forgive you though - not everyone can be as knowlegeable as the likes of myself and TS.

Lennon compliments our midfield well, he provides an outlet for the team to turn defence into attack. We accumulated the 5th highest number of points in the league, only behind the big 4, post Redknapp's appointment. Lennon played a big part in that success. So despite your stubborness to accept it, he did have a very good season last year and was nominated for Young Player of the Year award.

It's easy to wax on about potential - N Zogbia may or may not have more natural ability (I would disagree anyway), but if he's not showing it, it's pointless. Innit Ale

Lennon is an attacking winger that gets hardly any assists or goals, that's the bottom line. People slag off Jonas for this big time, and he gets similar stats to Lennon. If Lennon was foreign he would be nobody.
    L r dd

Number of posts : 12451
    Registration date : 2008-12-22

Post by L r dd Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:30 pm

Lennon seems to be getting a lot of assists and a few goals these days get with the times kimbo
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:34 pm

Kimbo claimed the other day that Lennon has never got more than 5 assists in a league season.

He got 8 in 2006-07.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:44 pm

Kimbo wrote:*ignores Beye stats*
    Spider Crouch wrote:You're so silly Kimbo. You remind me of my neighbour's dog before it was put down a couple of years ago - it was great fun to play with, but ultimately just a little bit silly chasing it's tail around in the front yard and trying to munch on hedgehogs.

Lennon is an attacking winger that gets hardly any assists or goals, that's the bottom line. People slag off Jonas for this big time, and he gets similar stats to Lennon. If Lennon was foreign he would be nobody.

Reign in your wild horses Kimmy,

You're the one who flagrantly ignored the fantasy football stats, which themselves as made of goals scored, assists and games played.

I'm not sure what you want me to say about Beye's stats - you played better with him in the team than without. Not difficult really considering how terrible the rest of your team was.

He's a good player, I have no doubt. But is he better than Johnson as a marauding fullback? Beye will provide stable defensive quality, but he won't offer the type of attacking threat that Johnson will give Liverpool. Ultimately, the best sides in the World tend to have fullbacks who don't get nosebleeds passing the halfway line. Think Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Danny Alves, Chelsea with Bosingwa and Cole, United with Neville (don't laugh - he was quality at providing assistance down the right and crossing in his heyday) and Evra.

Overlooking the fact that Lennon has already directly assisted 2 goals and scored one this season in 3 matches, he could certainly be more productive. But so long as he continues to compliment the Spurs midfield - Palacios providing the muscle, Huddlestone and Modric the passing, Lennon the directness and pace - whilst showing more intelligence in his passing/crossing/shooting, that'll do me Mr Kimbo sir Ale
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:45 pm

MadVillain™️ wrote:Kimbo claimed the other day that Lennon has never got more than 5 assists in a league season.

He got 8 in 2006-07.

And 6 last season! WOO HOO!!
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:48 pm

Spider Crouch wrote:Reign in your wild horses Kimmy,

You're the one who flagrantly ignored the fantasy football stats, which themselves as made of goals scored, assists and games played.

I'm not sure what you want me to say about Beye's stats - you played better with him in the team than without. Not difficult really considering how terrible the rest of your team was.

He's a good player, I have no doubt. But is he better than Johnson as a marauding fullback? Beye will provide stable defensive quality, but he won't offer the type of attacking threat that Johnson will give Liverpool. Ultimately, the best sides in the World tend to have fullbacks who don't get nosebleeds passing the halfway line. Think Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Danny Alves, Chelsea with Bosingwa and Cole, United with Neville (don't laugh - he was quality at providing assistance down the right and crossing in his heyday) and Evra.

Overlooking the fact that Lennon has already directly assisted 2 goals and scored one this season in 3 matches, he could certainly be more productive. But so long as he continues to compliment the Spurs midfield - Palacios providing the muscle, Huddlestone and Modric the passing, Lennon the directness and pace - whilst showing more intelligence in his passing/crossing/shooting, that'll do me Mr Kimbo sir Ale

What? Cole? Cole is a "marauding fullback" is he? At the end of the day defence comes first for a fullback in my eyes, that's the way it is, and that's why i also liked Arbeloa and wouldn't have replaced him.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:48 pm

Kimbo wrote:
    MadVillain™️ wrote:Kimbo claimed the other day that Lennon has never got more than 5 assists in a league season.

He got 8 in 2006-07.

He wasn't 1st choice for the 1st 10 games or so.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:50 pm

MadVillain™️ wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:

He got 8 in 2006-07.

He wasn't 1st choice for the 1st 10 games or so.

But still started 26 games and appeared in 35.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:53 pm

Cole gets forward Kimbo, he's like a fucking duracell bunny. Unlike Johnson he's limited on the ball though, but he still overlaps with whoever Chelsea are playing on or near left wing at the time.

Will Beye provide this amount of running on the right for Villa? I'll keep my eye for it, and if so will gladly offer to eat humble pie.

You know why Kimmy - because I'm a MAN OF HONOUR! If I'm wrong, I'll admit it : It makes no difference to the size of my (enormous) dick if I'm proved wrong now and again.

But you Kimmy, you: you are cut from a different cloth. You won't apologise to TS for being proven wrong in the Solano V Lennon debate. Shame on you Kimbo, shame on you Ale
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by Aristoskank Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:54 pm

Cole gets forward, but may as well be suffering nosebleeds given his passing, crossing, shooting, dribbling, in short, his entire attacking game that isn't running.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:00 pm

Stimulus Package wrote:Cole gets forward, but may as well be suffering nosebleeds given his passing, crossing, shooting, dribbling, in short, his entire attacking game that isn't running.

True, but never underestimate a fullback who can RUN like Forrest gump - at the very least it drags a marker away from the left winger and provides them with more space.

For all his general shiteness with the ball going forward, one of Cole's qualities for England (and Chelsea) is the amount of room his runs would give to Joe Cole when he gets on the ball. And everyone knows that Joe Cole + Space = Magic (well, sometimes)
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:01 pm

Spider Crouch wrote:Cole gets forward Kimbo, he's like a fucking duracell bunny. Unlike Johnson he's limited on the ball though, but he still overlaps with whoever Chelsea are playing on or near left wing at the time.

Will Beye provide this amount of running on the right for Villa? I'll keep my eye for it, and if so will gladly offer to eat humble pie.

You know why Kimmy - because I'm a MAN OF HONOUR! If I'm wrong, I'll admit it : It makes no difference to the size of my (enormous) dick if I'm proved wrong now and again.

But you Kimmy, you: you are cut from a different cloth. You won't apologise to TS for being proven wrong in the Solano V Lennon debate. Shame on you Kimbo, shame on you Ale

You've just described Beye, his non stop running is probably his biggest strength. You're arguing about a player you know nothing about.

I'll apologise to TS on the Solano v Lennon debate if he aplogises for saying Lennon is as good as a 20 assists in a season winger.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:02 pm

I feel like I have to defend Kimmy here.

Firstly, Beye is a really good right back IMO and some of you are vastly underrating him. Didn't he win ligue one player of the year the season before he joined NUFC?

Secondly, technically, N'zogbia IS better than Lennon. He's a far better crosser and a far better shooter, he lacks Lennon's PHYSICAL attributes though (he's not as pacy and doesn't have as much natural balance and agility)
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:07 pm

Tweedle wrote:I feel like I have to defend Kimmy here.

Firstly, Beye is a really good right back IMO and some of you are vastly underrating him. Didn't he win ligue one player of the year the season before he joined NUFC?

Secondly, technically, N'zogbia IS better than Lennon. He's a far better crosser and a far better shooter, he lacks Lennon's PHYSICAL attributes though (he's not as pacy and doesn't have as much natural balance and agility)

One of the frenchies on here named him in his Ligue 1 XI of the decade aswell. He's no mug.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:10 pm

Kimbo wrote:
    Tweedle wrote:I feel like I have to defend Kimmy here.

One of the frenchies on here named him in his Ligue 1 XI of the decade aswell. He's no mug.

ok

Certain posters simply have it in for Johnny Foreigner.
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by Aristoskank Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:12 pm

Spider Crouch wrote:
    Stimulus Package wrote:Cole gets forward, but may as well be suffering nosebleeds given his passing, crossing, shooting, dribbling, in short, his entire attacking game that isn't running.

True, but never underestimate a fullback who can RUN like Forrest gump - at the very least it drags a marker away from the left winger and provides them with more space.

For all his general shiteness with the ball going forward, one of Cole's qualities for England (and Chelsea) is the amount of room his runs would give to Joe Cole when he gets on the ball. And everyone knows that Joe Cole + Space = Magic (well, sometimes)

I dunno, I remember the late Sven period when we had Cole+Cole down the left hand side, and along with Rooney, and Gerrard/Lampard through the middle, this made the inside left channel very crowded. We were crying out for a leftback to hug the line and provide an alternative, but Ashley Cole spent game after game coming inside thinking he was Robert Pires and making it even more cramped and stilted.

He does seem to be gradually learning the lesson but it has taken so damn long, and he's still terrible on the ball. The Chelsea fans seem to like him though. I don't understand why.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:20 pm

Kimbo wrote:
    Spider Crouch wrote:Cole gets forward Kimbo, he's like a fucking duracell bunny. Unlike Johnson he's limited on the ball though, but he still overlaps with whoever Chelsea are playing on or near left wing at the time.

You've just described Beye, his non stop running is probably his biggest strength. You're arguing about a player you know nothing about.

I'll apologise to TS on the Solano v Lennon debate if he aplogises for saying Lennon is as good as a 20 assists in a season winger.

Kimmy, your opinion of Lennon hasn't changed in about 4 years. Don't tell me you watch Spurs regularly with any sort of open and balanced view; all you'll ever be interested in how many assists/goals he scores. Given the ball he can turn defence into attack in a matter of seconds, no Opta stats can ever prove the usefulness of this.

Let's move on from Lennon debate number 5778690,

I've seen Beye from a few Newcastle games and MOTD I caught last year, and I saw nothing attacking wise to suggest he was anywhere in Johnson's league. But I'll hold my judgement for now.

And by God man, are you telling me Solano provided 20 assists in one season? How many of those were because he used to take most of your free kicks?
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:23 pm

Solano was the corner taker as well wasn't he?

In his first stint, Shearer would have taken a lot of the free kicks i suspect.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:27 pm

Spider Crouch wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:

Kimmy, your opinion of Lennon hasn't changed in about 4 years. Don't tell me you watch Spurs regularly with any sort of open and balanced view; all you'll ever be interested in how many assists/goals he scores. Given the ball he can turn defence into attack in a matter of seconds, no Opta stats can ever prove the usefulness of this.

Let's move on from Lennon debate number 5778690,

I've seen Beye from a few Newcastle games and MOTD I caught last year, and I saw nothing attacking wise to suggest he was anywhere in Johnson's league. But I'll hold my judgement for now.

And by God man, are you telling me Solano provided 20 assists in one season? How many of those were because he used to take most of your free kicks?

Nobody has ever suggested Beye is a great attacking player, he gets up and down the wing like nobodies difference but really it's just to support the attack rather than get balls in there himself.

Yes i'm telling you Solano provided 20 assists in one season, in the league alone i might add, because he did, he also scored 7 league goals that season. But ofcourse that was just because he took freekicks and corners, any player can do that. Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:09 am