Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
Tweesus
Isco Benny
Allez les rouges
La Saeta Rubia
Ricardo Jol
Rosy
DS
fcb
blutgraetsche
Calidad
robert
Barrilete
16 posters

Riquelme retires from international football

Barrilete
    Barrilete

Number of posts : 2336
    Supports : Club Atlético Boca Juniors
    Favourite Player : Maxi Lopez, aka, TWD (The White Drogba)
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Riquelme retires from international football Empty Riquelme retires from international football

Post by Barrilete Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:17 am

In just moments, Roman will be announcing his definite retirement from the argentine national squad wich will allow him to concentrate in his fitness(or someting like that)

Guess we'll have to do with the crystal man(Aimar) for now...

Any thoughts?

EDIT: It's official he's out. Appaarently his mother has been hospitalized a couple of times since the WC finished, and he considers its his responsability to take care of her...(???)

Last edited by on Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
    Cesc

Riquelme retires from international football Empty Re: Riquelme retires from international football

Post by Cesc Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:22 am

I have to admit I am totally shocked. Yikes

He is at his very peak and still has much to offer the Argentine national side.

A great player over the last few years. <Ale>
    robert
    robert

Number of posts : 5672
    Supports : Manchester United
    Favourite Player : Giggs
    Registration date : 2006-08-14

Riquelme retires from international football Empty Re: Riquelme retires from international football

Post by robert Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:23 am

Very suprised, and still only 28.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:52 am

Well it eases the team selection dilemmas that Basile faces, but it's a shame for Intl football. Riquelme is a fantastic player, and is one of the most cultured midfielders in the world.

Wonder who will step in now. Aimar is certainly a worthy candiate, Messi is another. Esteban is also a good AM, but maybe not on the same level, since he rarely plays there...
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:55 am

Riquelme is one of the very last classical playmakers in the game, a dying species. A real pity to see him retire from international football. One of the very best, most elegant players of our times. Hope he reconsiders.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:21 am

Wow, this did come out of nowhere.
    L r d

Post by L r d Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:28 am

*Sigh*

One of the top five players in the world steps out of the only spotlight that shines on his infinite talent. Just occasionally, you do wish that he did have the "too big for his own boots" personality, that would give his ability the coverage it deserves.
    Barrilete
    Barrilete

Number of posts : 2336
    Supports : Club Atlético Boca Juniors
    Favourite Player : Maxi Lopez, aka, TWD (The White Drogba)

Post by Barrilete Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:38 am

Well he truly is a unique player. Playmakers like him simply aren't formed in football nowadays. I agree with Calidad, this will make Basile's decissions easier. Although there is no player like him to fill the playmaker role on Basile's favourite formation(4-3-1-2), I think that the attacking football Basile wants to give to this team will be closer now that Roman is out.(at last we'll have some verticality on our game!)

Post by Guest Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:52 am

Where did this come from i'm Shocked

such a pitty he is the last of a dying breed.

has calidad said it eases the team selection dilemmas that Basile faces.

so who will it be Aimar/Maxi/Messi

------Messi-------Aimar----------Tevez/kun

-----Maxi---------Messi------------Kun/Tevez

-----Messi---------Maxi------------Tevez/Kun

-----Maxi---------Aimar--------Tevez/Kun/Messi

which do 3 do you think Basile will choose.
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:32 am

Shocking news,
    Argentina needs a central striker though like Crespo was.
    Rosy
    Rosy

Number of posts : 2047
    Supports : Chelsea
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Rosy Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:21 am

I suppose the coach can do what the French do and completely ignore his wishes. However I'm sure they will show him more respect. He'll be missed from international football as he made it worth watching.
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
    Supports : FC Den Haag!
    Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:34 am

This is extremely good news for Argentina! Riquelme was overrated but the whole team was build around his arse.... Now they can play more freely and other players can step up!
    doninha

Post by doninha Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:17 pm

I'm not as radical as Ricardo, but I really think he is extermely overrated.

Great player, no doubt, in a role that is dying, fantastic in South America...

... but at the most very top pressure in Europe and International, IMO, never was the world class player. And it explains while he is in Villareal.

You guys are shocked he is still 28, or that he is already 28????
    La Saeta Rubia
    La Saeta Rubia

Number of posts : 5244
    Supports : Real Madrid

Post by La Saeta Rubia Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:46 pm

wow what a surprise, he`s still young, well i guess Villarreal benefit from this.

This in " Marca "

Juan Román Riquelme anunció que no volverá a jugar en la selección argentina debido a que su madre ha tenido problemas de salud por las críticas que se formulan en su país a su rendimiento con la camiseta albiceleste.

"Por más ganas que tenga de jugar en la selección, lo que más me importa es la salud de mi madre", dijo el jugador. "Mi madre es mi madre y no se compara con la camiseta de la selección", aseguró al aclarar que "todo el mundo tiene derecho a decir lo que quiera".

Riquelme indicó que la decisión la tomó cuando su hermana le avisó desde Buenos Aires que su madre había sido ingresada por segunda vez en una clínica tras una crisis nerviosa, afectada por las críticas contra su hijo. "Mi obligación es cuidar a mi madre", insistió el futbolista, quien al considerar un ex jugador de la selección dijo: "cada vez que me ponía esa camiseta era una sensación increíble".

Riquelme dijo que antes de aceptar la entrevista del canal 13 de televisión de Buenos Aires, en la que formuló el anuncio, habló con el seleccionador argentino, Alfio Basile, para ponerlo en conocimiento de su decisión.

"El anuncio que hago es normal. He tomado la decisión de no formar parte de la selección. El hecho que tenga que pensar en la salud de mi mama, no se me hizo difícil la decisión", comentó

"Mucho tiempo no me llevó (tomar la decisión). La salud de mi madre me ayudo a decidir. Desde que terminó el Mundial, hace poco tiempo, mi mamá ha terminado internada dos veces. Siempre tuve las cosas claras. Antes que el fútbol está mi familia. Mi responsabilidad es cuidarla todo lo que pueda", añadió.
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Number of posts : 8098
    Supports : Deutschland, Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jens Lehmann

Post by Allez les rouges Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:23 pm

This is absolutely ludicrous and a crying shame. I will never understand why people do this as international football is the pinnacle and nothing compares to it, whatever the Champions League idolaters say.

Let's hope he comes back, like Larsson, Zizou and the rest.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:27 pm

I'd put the shcok up there with when Paul Scholes retired at a similar age. Great player, what a shame;

although he did seem to slow down argentina's play a lot under Pekerman/Bielsa, they were too dependent on him. Maybe its a blessing in the long run
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Tweesus Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:28 pm

I'm sorry but there is no way that Aimar is anywhere near as good as Riquelme so this has left a massive whole in Argentina's team.

IMO Messi isn't the right man for his position either - you need someone to play the passes and release the ball.

So this probably means a change of formation - maybe to a 4-3-3- a la Barcelona
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:31 pm

The Real White Pele wrote:I'd put the shcok up there with when Paul Scholes retired at a similar age. Great player, what a shame;

Only difference Sven played Scholes out of position. Riquelme had the team set up for him.

Excellent player though, big shame.
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115

Post by Roger Hunt Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:35 pm

Ahh but it Scholes hadn't retired, Lampard might not have broken in to the England team, and what a disaster that would have been!
    NCFC
    NCFC

Number of posts : 3485
    Supports : Cádiz C.F y Norwich City F.C

Post by NCFC Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:20 pm

Shiiiiiiiiit. Only just seen this post, and yes, it is quite similar to Scholes.

His World Cup performances were dissapointing. I think any possibilty of him becoming the World Player of they Year at a stage in his career is now over.
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Post by Allez les rouges Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:28 pm

Scholes was rather older and not making that much impact at international level (not that this was entirely his fault, being played out of position and all that).

Has Crespo retired from the national team then?
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Post by Roger Hunt Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:31 pm

The other difference is that Scholes had been shit for England for 2 years previously whereas Riquelme, when on song, was the heartbeat of Argentina.

Lights the blue touch paper and retires
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Post by Allez les rouges Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:35 pm

That is a franker version of what I was saying – should have had the balls to say so myself. I quite agree, the comparison is ludicrous.
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Post by Roger Hunt Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:36 pm

Hey, you can rely on me to be frank at least about Man U players who are shit
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:37 pm

Man United > England. Razz
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Post by Roger Hunt Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:39 pm

True Story.

Liverpool> Man United > England
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Post by Allez les rouges Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:45 pm

I know you guys are having a laugh, but this is a wider and serious point about English football not being the sum of its parts. You are both quite right, whereas e.g. Werder Bremen are vg but not nearly so good as the Nationalmannschaft.

Deserves another thread, perhaps. And the reasons are certainly wider than the number of national players involved in each case...
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:47 pm

Nah, I'm deadly serious.

For me, most Man United fans and I'm sure Paul Scholes.

Man United comes before England.
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Post by Roger Hunt Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:50 pm

Me too. I've had enough of our players getting injured on international duty.

EPL> Bundesliga because of the amount of foreign imports... hence top clubs> national team in England.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:51 pm

That's the difference to Germany I guess. I bet that for most Germans, the Nationalmannschaft comes first. It's the team that unites us, and has the support of all of us.

I strongly believe that this is one of the main reasons for the relative success of the Mannschaft, and lack of success of national teams like Spain, for example, where club rivalry (Real vs. Barca) is much worse, not just for footballing reasons though. Probably because we are a federal state already, we need more 'symbols of unity' than other centralist countries like the UK, for example.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 1:00 pm