Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+21
Roger Hunt
Isco Benny
theflyingfrenchman
Super Progress
Formerly known as sheva7
mongrel hawk
abundance
Juligen
OP9
Puro
Ricardo Jol
Barrilete
Ä
Fey
Machiavel
Axeslammer
Parks lives
None
DD
Pierre Littbarski
blutgraetsche
25 posters

Strongest rivalies and friendships in international football

blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Strongest rivalies and friendships in international football Empty Strongest rivalies and friendships in international football

Post by blutgraetsche Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:13 pm

What are the traditionally strongest rivalries? Let me list a few from the top of my head...

Germany vs. Netherlands

Germany vs. England

Brazil vs. Argentina

England vs. Argentina

England vs. Scotland

Turkey vs. Greece

What about your country? Which country do you see as your main rival?

And what about friendships, of if that is a too strong word, sympathies? I'll list a few for my country Germany:

Germany & Italy (although it looks like this will change in future after the events last year)

Germany & France (used to be major rivals, now it's a quite respectful relationship)

Germany & Scotland (Scots like us because the English hate us I guess)

Germany & Japan (always have been friends....)
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Strongest rivalies and friendships in international football Empty Re: Strongest rivalies and friendships in international football

Post by Pierre Littbarski Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:14 pm

Rivalries:

Norway v Sweden

Bosnia v Serbia

Croatia v Serbia

Peru v Chile
    DD
    DD

Number of posts : 10721
    Supports : NEC

Strongest rivalies and friendships in international football Empty Re: Strongest rivalies and friendships in international football

Post by DD Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:17 pm

Netherlands - Argentina has been a big one since WC78 Grr and WC98.
    None

Number of posts : 2548
    Registration date : 2007-02-22

Post by None Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:18 pm

Turkey vs Greece.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:22 pm

Would England & Netherlands count as a "friendship"? And what about Portugal vs. Spain, major rivals?
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Parks lives Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:24 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:Would England & Netherlands count as a "friendship"?

Not really, if we played them in a major tournament I'd still want to beat them 4-1 again. Razz
    None

Post by None Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:24 pm

Is Wales & Scotland a friendship? There's no bind like mutual loathing.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:30 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:Would England & Netherlands count as a "friendship"?

Nah, the English national team doesn't make me run hot or cold....they're colorless and odorless Wink

Rivalry is between Holland and Germany and a little bit with Belgium.

You might expect some rivalry with Argentina or Portugal....but I don't really think the majority sees it as such (and I don't either).

Personally I want revenge against Brazil for the bought match in 1994.

Friends : the Irish and the Czechs....last one more is more of a mutual respect kind of thing though.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:32 pm

We like the Irish also, they seem to like us also, at least they don't hate us. Great fans they have.

Add Germany & Brazil under friendships (how could I forget that one Doh). A very respectful relationship, used to be the same with the Argies, but not after what happened last year.
    DD
    DD

Post by DD Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:33 pm

I have an inkling that the next time Netherlands-Portugal meet there could be another rivalry in the making.

Erm... as for rivalries:
    Turkey - Armenia
    Turkey - Cyprus
    Serbia - Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Serbia - Croatia

Both Serbia and Turkey have pissed off a lot of people, and tehre are always injured folks when these meet up.
    None

Post by None Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:36 pm

Nigeria-Ghana
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:39 pm

I assume that you can add China vs. Japan to the list, but CKing will know better.

Iran vs. Israel doesn't qualify as a rivalry though, it's just war by other means.

Iran vs. Saudi Arabia is very fierce also, with most of the Arabian neighbours actually.
    DD
    DD

Post by DD Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:40 pm

a polluted stream is man wrote:Nigeria-Ghana
    Another good one. Cameroon - Nigeria weren't best of mates either.

Mexico - USA.
    Iran - USA (WC94)
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Machiavel Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:43 pm

are the rivalries mainly political and geographical .. yes , silly me

with the exception of maybe Brazil v Argentina

correct me if I'm wrong , politically Brazil and Argentina share good relations ??
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:44 pm

They are political rivals also, at least to some extent (fight for the dominant role on the South American continent).
    None

Post by None Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:48 pm

Yes, but pretty much allied in recent years, thanks to shared love of corruption.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:54 pm

An old rivalry of ours that has cooled down a lot recently is Austria, basically due to Austria being extremely Cr@p. We never really hated them as much as they hate us though.

Switzerland is a more ambivalent example. We are 'friends' (first official match was against the Swiss, we have played the most matches against them by far), but they do see us as a rival also.
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:15 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:An old rivalry of ours that has cooled down a lot recently is Austria, basically due to Austria being extremely Cr@p. We never really hated them as much as they hate us though.

Switzerland is a more ambivalent example. We are 'friends' (first official match was against the Swiss, we have played the most matches against them by far), but they do see us as a rival also.

You only have one rival...and that is us!! Biggrin at least it is mutual, I always get the idea that England-Germany is more onesided Laughing
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:23 pm

Yeah, the English definitely hate us more than we loathe them. But it is a rivalry nonetheless, it has all the ingredients ("Achtung! Surrender! For you Fritz, ze Euro 96 Championship is over"), can't deny that.

But Holland is our rival number 1, no doubt. But there is a chance that this might change in future though. We didn't have an important match against each other for ages, no ugly scenes in the last matches either.

Last edited by on Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ä
    Ä

Number of posts : 11028
    Registration date : 2006-09-04

Post by Ä Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:23 pm

I agree with Fey

our main rival , on a purely emotional level, is Holland
    Barrilete
    Barrilete

Number of posts : 2336
    Supports : Club Atlético Boca Juniors
    Favourite Player : Maxi Lopez, aka, TWD (The White Drogba)

Post by Barrilete Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:23 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:They are political rivals also, at least to some extent (fight for the dominant role on the South American continent).

Maybe a few decades back in time...nowadays there is no rivalry. My country is destined to collapse. Corruption all over the state, a fake democracy(where votes are bought), a political class with the reasoning of a 3 year old and a system that prevents any honest, intelligent person from getting involved. Now sure Brazil does share some of our stigmas but at least they don't f@ck up their economy as we do and they do have some sense about what country they want to become in the long term. IMO, southamerica will only come through the day Brazil becomes so big that it will drag the rest of the countries from the water.

Oh year...just footballing rivalry for the younger generations
    Barrilete
    Barrilete

Number of posts : 2336
    Supports : Club Atlético Boca Juniors
    Favourite Player : Maxi Lopez, aka, TWD (The White Drogba)

Post by Barrilete Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:24 pm

otto hat Euch alle lieb wrote:I agree with Fey

our main rival , on a purely emotional level, is Holland

Otto isn't that the queen of Spain on your avatar?may I ask why?
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
    Supports : FC Den Haag!
    Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:25 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:Yeah, the English definitely hate us more than we loathe them. But it is a rivalry nonetheless, it has all the ingredients ("Achtung! Surrender! For you Fritz, ze Euro 96 Championship is over"), can't deny that.

But Holland is our rival number 1, no doubt. But there is a chance that this might change in future though. We didn't have an important match against each other for ages, no ugly scenes in the last matches either.

2004 .... we were singing schade Deutchland alles ist vorbei.... cheers
    Fey
    Fey

Post by Fey Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:27 pm

And our rivalry is more funnier as well, I mean this was just funny.

Strongest rivalies and friendships in international football Ek8811

Were the English only mention bombs, wars etc.

Last edited by on Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:31 pm

Ricardo Jol wrote:
    2004 .... we were singing schade Deutchland alles ist vorbei.... cheers

Like we did in 2006. That's just not ugly enough I'm afraid....

But Germany vs. Holland is actually the rivalry I enjoy the most these days also. It used be very ugly (thanks to your players...), but in the last few years, it's extremely funny most of the time.

@Fey

lol!

Yeah, like that. Unfortunately, everything really started in 1974 (at least on the pitch), that's why we couldn't welcome the Wohnwagen armada in a similar fashion...
    DD
    DD

Post by DD Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:34 pm

At the WC06, Germany were singing chants about Netherlands in all their matches, even though we didn't play against each other.

After we were knocked out the Germans were singing about us being knocked out.

lol!
    Fey
    Fey

Post by Fey Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:39 pm

During 88 and 92 it was pure mutual hate, after that it went just to a funny rivalry.

I think it will decline even more over the upcomming years. Some reasons.

-WW2 generation is dying out
    -We dont play each other any more a lot during the cups.
    -Without Germany....we are bankrupt, we are all one these days.
    -Germany dont have any "Germans" anymore (Lothar, Effenberg, Jeremies etc)
    -....they play more Dutch then us....

Aber vieleicht werden wir die Fahrads vergeben, aber wir werden es niemals vergessen. Biggrin <Ale>
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:46 pm

otto would LOVE us to have few more Lothars and Effenbergs, or "Drecksäue" how we call them, in our current team. I'm not talking about their undeniable football skills, he misses the dirty tackles, or what he confuses with manliness.

He may even have a point, because every team probably needs a "terrier" type of player, but it shouldn't be the predominant quality of the team.

P.S.: I love my Hollandrad!
    DD
    DD

Post by DD Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:52 pm

For old time sakes Biggrin
    Strongest rivalies and friendships in international football Italien_3
    DD
    DD

Post by DD Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:53 pm

Fey wrote:During 88 and 92 it was pure mutual hate, after that it went just to a funny rivalry.

I think it will decline even more over the upcomming years. Some reasons.

-WW2 generation is dying out
    -We dont play each other any more a lot during the cups.
    -Without Germany....we are bankrupt, we are all one these days.
    -Germany dont have any "Germans" anymore (Lothar, Effenberg, Jeremies etc)
    -....they play more Dutch then us....
    - the FA's are too scared to schedule 'friendlies' between the nations, thus we play less against another.

Aber vieleicht werden wir die Fahrads vergeben, aber wir werden es niemals vergessen. Biggrin <Ale>

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 9:49 am