Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
abundance
Axeslammer
blutgraetsche
bluenine
8 posters

U21 Champions League

bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

U21 Champions League Empty U21 Champions League

Post by bluenine Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:53 am

Good idea, more football <Ale>

Baby Champions League To Begin in 2010/11 - Report
    According to Datasport.it, a Champions League for European youth clubs could be formed... The European Football Club Association (ECA) meeting in Geneva has agreed to allow the youth teams to participate in what is being nicknamed, a 'baby' Champions League.

The big European teams could allow their young talents to display themselves to the footballing community as of 2010/11.

A simple formula as to how the system will work has been devised. The eight teams who qualify for the quarter-finals of the Champions League proper could allow their youth squads to play in the tournament.

Home-and-away legs could be played, with the semi-finals and final being played a week early, in the same city as the Champions League final.

Set to begin next year, the ECA could look to expand the competition to 32 teams the following year, the same as the teams that currently qualify for Europe's most valuable prize.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

U21 Champions League Empty Re: U21 Champions League

Post by blutgraetsche Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:03 am

Is it really? Time will tell, but I can see 'talent stealing' only increasing with the introduction of such a league. Maybe UEFA should implement some working rules to prevent that first.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:12 am

blutgraetsche wrote:Is it really? Time will tell, but I can see 'talent stealing' only increasing with the introduction of such a league. Maybe UEFA should implement some working rules to prevent that first.

You cannot hide your youth players just coz of talent stealing... 2 separate issues, need to be tackled separately. I like the South American guidelines, you cannot bring one of their players to europe till they are 18. UEFA need to incorporate a similar system, tho it will be tough.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Axeslammer Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:18 am

But will it have a FF-competition for kas ? Wink
    abundance
    abundance

Number of posts : 1514
    Supports : FC Inter
    Registration date : 2007-01-29

Post by abundance Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:03 am

bluenine wrote:The big European teams could allow their young talents to display themselves to the footballing community as of 2010/11.

A simple formula as to how the system will work has been devised. The eight teams who qualify for the quarter-finals of the Champions League proper could allow their youth squads to play in the tournament.

blah, this is just a rubbish formula, show-business - not sport - based.
    Very Champions league style, in the end.

There are national youth championships, why don't they just setup a Youth Champions Cup with their winners? That would have an actual sport value.

Otherwise, it's just a show set up to raise some more money for big boys in crisis time.

Even tho, there are some positives in it: more awareness and funding for big boys youth teams, a little more focus on raising some talent in-house... and the talent stealing issues would be limited as there will be all top level clubs confronting.

Still I'd prefer a real sport merit based tournament.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:09 am

it would be a good idea if they used this competition to try out the 6+5 rule, or even make it so all the participants are local to their club.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:58 pm

not sure about this. Sounds like it will just further entrench the gap between the elite teams and the rest - and give them more excuse to buy up every half-decent 18 year old in the world..
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Tweesus Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:10 pm

If you were to qualify for it through the under 18s leagues then I can see some pertinent issues.

The foremost of these is the fact that you might be left with a situation where the players that won the under 18 league, start the next season at the age of 19 and are therefore involved in reserve team commitments or even first team commitments

The second issue is the cost to clubs flying these teams around Europea and accommodating them.

For the top European clubs its not an issue but what about for the Belarusian under 18 league champions? I can't imagine a club like BATE having the neccessary funds to be able to finance shipping their under 18 players around Europe every other week.
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
    Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
    Favourite Player : Ozil
    Registration date : 2006-10-05

Post by Romford Pele Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:14 pm

Agree with Tweeds Ale
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:03 pm

I think, if marketed right, this championship could generate positive cash flows for the clubs.... apart from giving kids some valuable experience.

I doubt this would go ahead if it were so loss making... small clubs would just back out.

Tweedle wrote:If you were to qualify for it through the under 18s leagues then I can see some pertinent issues.

The foremost of these is the fact that you might be left with a situation where the players that won the under 18 league, start the next season at the age of 19 and are therefore involved in reserve team commitments or even first team commitments

The second issue is the cost to clubs flying these teams around Europea and accommodating them.

For the top European clubs its not an issue but what about for the Belarusian under 18 league champions? I can't imagine a club like BATE having the neccessary funds to be able to finance shipping their under 18 players around Europe every other week.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:22 am