Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+20
rosenthal
TheCrazy58
Super Progress
ERIK LAMELA
S4P
Murray
The Pröfessör
christmasborocooper
Kimbo
NeoChap
Deluded F*ck™
Di Caniooooo!
Hlebagone
Fey
COTR
Isco Benny
The Chosen Glenn
Luis
110%
Brian2468
24 posters

Premier League Fixtures 21/22/23 September 2013

The Chosen Glenn
    The Chosen Glenn

Number of posts : 3795
    Registration date : 2012-03-22

Premier League Fixtures 21/22/23 September 2013 - Page 5 Empty Re: Premier League Fixtures 21/22/23 September 2013

Post by The Chosen Glenn Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:17 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:

I see Soldado failed again - can anyone give me a recent example of a player who is under 6ft and not especially pacey being a success as an out and out CF in EPL ?
    I think a better question would be:  can anyone give me a recent example of a player who is under 6ft and not especially pacey not being a success as an out and out CF in EPL ?

Luis Suarez 
    Sergio Aguero
    DJ Campbell
    Wayne Rooney
    Carlos Tevez
    Manucho
    Gabriel Agbonlahor
    Henri Camara
    Craig Bellamy
    Andy Cole
    Peter Crouch
    Iago Aspas
    Roberto Soldado
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10245
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Premier League Fixtures 21/22/23 September 2013 - Page 5 Empty Re: Premier League Fixtures 21/22/23 September 2013

Post by Murray Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:44 pm

Premier League Fixtures 21/22/23 September 2013 - Page 5 BUx4oUKCAAEYq3l
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10245

Post by Murray Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:35 pm

Di Canio has been fired
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:39 pm

Fuck, why can't they just keep their shit managers like we do? Eventually they will stumble across a good one.
    The Chosen Glenn
    The Chosen Glenn

Post by The Chosen Glenn Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:45 pm

2 wins, 3 draws, 7 defeats. Not a surprise. 

Sods law we have them next. Apparently they already have Andre Villas-Boas lined up to take over.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:45 pm

Premier League Fixtures 21/22/23 September 2013 - Page 5 Di-canio-tattoo
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:50 pm

I wonder how the Sunderland squad will take it.

El Hadji Ba #22 ‏@Elhadjbaaby 1m
    LOL
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:18 pm

lol!
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:43 pm

Anyone know what this is all about? Has Ozil died?

http://www.101greatgoals.com/pictures/a-massive-pack-of-arsenal-fans-with-ozil-shirts-have-their-picture-taken-before-the-stoke-game/

Good to see they've taken the signing in their stride. Not weird / borderline mental in the slightest.

Last edited by Isco Benny on Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    rosenthal
    rosenthal

Number of posts : 822
    Supports : Tottenham Hotspur
    Favourite Player : רוני רוזנטל
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by rosenthal Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:54 pm

Reckon the players will be happy they're rid of him.
    Di Canio was excellent for a short term kick up the backside rescue mission appointment,
    but should never have been given a long term deal.
    The surprise is that they've started so poorly this season,
    I thought they'd have a killer start before a total melt down.
    But this season has hardly kicked off at all for them.
    Players already tired, wored down and confused.

What Short need to do now is give it some time and sit down with people who actually know what they're doing. Sir Alex (the experienced giant), Levy (the only one to have build a club into the top of the Premier League without throwing money at it), Everton and Wigan chairmen (who's had success/stability with limited/similiar resources), Huw Jenkins at Swansea (building an identity and having faith in it, appointing managers that can build on the work of his predecessor).
    Get some tips about how he should build up the club and what direction he should lead the club.
    Sunderland are in desperate need of an identity, a common idea the whole club can work towards.

If Short doesn't do the necessary planning this time around, he'll just continue the carousel of stop starting, new man in, out in a year, total change of the squad - which is expensive.
    Need to find a direction and man he believes in, stick by him, and build upon his work if he should leave.
    Cause this is going nowhere, it's not like they haven't spend good money down the years neither
    The Chosen Glenn
    The Chosen Glenn

Post by The Chosen Glenn Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:21 pm

Kimbo wrote: Premier League Fixtures 21/22/23 September 2013 - Page 5 Di-canio-tattoo

did he get the date wrong?
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:46 am

A shame - they were only 6 points behind Man Utd. ok
    110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:52 am

will.i.glenn wrote:
    Pierre Littbarski wrote:

I see Soldado failed again - can anyone give me a recent example of a player who is under 6ft and not especially pacey being a success as an out and out CF in EPL ?
    I think a better question would be:  can anyone give me a recent example of a player who is under 6ft and not especially pacey not being a success as an out and out CF in EPL ?

Luis Suarez 
    Sergio Aguero
    DJ Campbell
    Wayne Rooney
    Carlos Tevez
    Manucho
    Gabriel Agbonlahor
    Henri Camara
    Craig Bellamy
    Andy Cole
    Peter Crouch
    Iago Aspas
    Roberto Soldado
    6 out of the top 10 all time goalscorers by number of goals are: andy cole, robbie fowler, wayne rooney, michaelowen, les ferdinand and jimmy floyd hasselbainkare. They are under 6 foot and not especially fast, although owen was at one point. OK they are not recent except for rooney.

Pierre has a point, there are fewer players like rooney and aguero, more tend to be like benteke and giroud, but it is not a whitewash as he was suggesting.
    110%

Post by 110% Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:34 pm

Romford Pele wrote:The orphan (Nasri) played well yesterday. People will naturally talk about the spine (Kompany, Toure, Aguero) but I haven't seen Nasri influence a game like that in a while. Pellegrini obviously has much better man-management skills than Mancio and it's been evident so far. Central midfield is a slight worry for them if Toure or Fernandinho get injured though.
    Sorry I have confused you by replying in an older thread, you probably wanted to say this in the latest weekend thread, so I have quoted you here.

I would point out that while man city were very good against man united, they were nothing special against hull or stoke. In fact stoke were the better team in that game although city did rest some players. So far pelligrini's city are not much different from the one under mancini in terms of how they play. They still don't seem to have a particular style, but are just a group of very good players. The main positive is that they have got rid of disruptive players like tevez and balotelli.
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
    Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
    Favourite Player : Ozil
    Registration date : 2006-10-05

Post by Romford Pele Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:43 pm

110% wrote:
    Romford Pele wrote:The orphan (Nasri) played well yesterday. People will naturally talk about the spine (Kompany, Toure, Aguero) but I haven't seen Nasri influence a game like that in a while. Pellegrini obviously has much better man-management skills than Mancio and it's been evident so far. Central midfield is a slight worry for them if Toure or Fernandinho get injured though.
    Sorry I have confused you by replying in an older thread, you probably wanted to say this in the latest weekend thread, so I have quoted you here.

I would point out that while man city were very good against man united, they were nothing special against hull or stoke. In fact stoke were the better team in that game although city did rest some players. So far pelligrini's city are not much different from the one under mancini in terms of how they play. They still don't seem to have a  particular style, but are just a group of very good players. The main positive is that they have got rid of disruptive players like tevez and balotelli.
    Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed 

You really don't think they're different style wise? Despite not doing anything flashy thus far, Fernandinho is a huge upgrade on Barry when it comes to usage of the ball. They also press the ball a lot more effectively than they did under Mancio. Pellegrini is a much more attack-minded manager than Mancio. The only downside i'd say so far is that bar yesterday, they've looked a tad suspect defensively.
    110%

Post by 110% Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:44 pm

Romford Pele wrote:
    110% wrote:

I would point out that while man city were very good against man united, they were nothing special against hull or stoke. In fact stoke were the better team in that game although city did rest some players. So far pelligrini's city are not much different from the one under mancini in terms of how they play. They still don't seem to have a  particular style, but are just a group of very good players. The main positive is that they have got rid of disruptive players like tevez and balotelli.
    Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed 

You really don't think they're different style wise? Despite not doing anything flashy thus far, Fernandinho is a huge upgrade on Barry when it comes to usage of the ball. They also press the ball a lot more effectively than they did under Mancio. Pellegrini is a much more attack-minded manager than Mancio. The only downside i'd say so far is that bar yesterday, they've looked a tad suspect defensively.
    They lost to cardiff and everyone except real madrid now know that javi garcia is shit, but they played worse against stoke and hull.

I watched both those games in full and this is a pretty accurate description of the hull game:
    http://espnfc.com/uk/en/report/367456/report.html?soccernet=true&cc=5739
    Hull created a lot of chances, and: "Manchester City were unable to impose themselves and frustration among the fans was evident, even as early as the 30-minute mark"

This is an accurate description of the stoke game:
    http://espnfc.com/uk/en/report/367456/report.html?soccernet=true&cc=5739
    I in particular draw your attention to: Stoke continued to dictate the game and went close again when Jones rose above Nastasic to head narrowly over from another fine Adam cross

It could be the sign of champions that they were poor and they took the points, but there is nothing positive to say about their style so far, except for the very last game against man united and I remember a 6-1 win at old trafford under mancini.
    The Chosen Glenn
    The Chosen Glenn

Post by The Chosen Glenn Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:54 pm

Man City weren't exceptional, they were just better than Man Utd.

This is going to be an interesting sub plot this season, Man Utd will probably still get a lot of free points against the teams who come and lay down against the name, but the games against teams who raise their game or see themselves as equal will be different to the SAF era. I won't be surprised to see Moyes poor record against the big sides continue this year.
    Brian2468

Number of posts : 4875

Post by Brian2468 Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:12 pm

They have always needed a classy midfielder. Over relying on width caught up with them in the CL once Scholes grew older. Now its happening in the league Moyes is not Ferguson but there is a legitimate practical reason Moyes it seems cannot make up for that the older gaffer could.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:49 pm

In the last couple of seasons Man City has simply been stronger and better than Man Utd. Mancini found an approach that worked well against Man Utd and I was hoping Pellegrini wouldn't venture to far from that. Luckily this game resembled previous games in terms of City's approach so I don't think Pellegrini can be given credit as such. Haven't seen City too much but this big game style is the same it used to be, at least so far. The difference yesterday was that Man Utd looked weaker than they had in previous encounters against them.

The task for Pellegrini will be to find a set up that works for most teams they meet outside of the top teams. But even if Aguero simply delivers the goods this season I'm not even sure what Pellegrini should do tactics/style wise. I think it is mostly a man management problem.

On another note I was surprised by Fernandinho who I hadn't really seen too much. He doesn't look like a great player who can contribute much except he is more agile, technical than Barry but other than that he doesn't seem too impressive so far.
    NeoChap

Number of posts : 59
    Registration date : 2010-11-27

Post by NeoChap Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:54 pm

Super Laudrup wrote:
    On another note I was surprised by Fernandinho who I hadn't really seen too much. He doesn't look like a great player who can contribute much except he is more agile, technical than Barry but other than that he doesn't seem too impressive so far.
    Agreed. Although his close control is better, so far he's not passing the ball any better than Barry. On the other hand, although his play was unexceptional his ability to cover ground was a factor against United's starting pair. Still, I'm happy to believe people who saw a lot of Shaktar and say he's got more up his sleeve.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:58 pm

This is gold.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sunderland/10328138/Paolo-Di-Canio-sacked-as-Sunderland-manager-after-massive-player-rebellion-undermined-his-authority.html
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:20 pm

it was always going to end messily, but it's particularly impressive that he managed to make so many enemies so quickly & get himself sacked so early in the season. you might be able to get away with dictatorial approach if you have proven success as a manager, but coming from managing Swindon to a Premier league club that's not a smart approach. only way he'll ever get another PL managing gig is if West Ham let nostalgia rule their heads.

whoever takes over Sunderland is gonna have tough job as they've got a total mish-mash of a squad & a lot of problems that won't magically go away with Di Canio gone. they'll probably go for a perceived safe option (Pulis) & that'll be another big shift in management style & tactics, which is hard to implement when the season already underway.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:24 pm

Saw Di Mateo being mentioned. That wouldn't be too bad, Italian at least.. Might get a bit from the new Italian guys.

Could see them taking a punt on Poyet too.

I'd love it if it was McClaren
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:30 pm

christmasborocooper wrote:Saw Di Mateo being mentioned. That wouldn't be too bad, Italian at least.. Might get a bit from the new Italian guys.

no way will they go for Poyet, they're not going to go for another high risk after Di Canio backfired. also I'd be a little surprised if they went for Di Matteo. McLaren possibly, I also saw McLeish mentioned as one of the favourites, the poor bastards Laughing
    The Chosen Glenn
    The Chosen Glenn

Post by The Chosen Glenn Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:22 pm

christmasborocooper wrote:Saw Di Mateo being mentioned. That wouldn't be too bad, Italian at least.. Might get a bit from the new Italian guys.

you already love it
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:40 pm

debaser wrote:it was always going to end messily, but it's particularly impressive that he managed to make so many enemies so quickly & get himself sacked so early in the season. you might be able to get away with dictatorial approach if you have proven success as a manager, but coming from managing Swindon to a Premier league club that's not a smart approach. only way he'll ever get another PL managing gig is if West Ham let nostalgia rule their heads.

whoever takes over Sunderland is gonna have tough job as they've got a total mish-mash of a squad & a lot of problems that won't magically go away with Di Canio gone. they'll probably go for a perceived safe option (Pulis) & that'll be another big shift in management style & tactics, which is hard to implement when the season already underway.
    McLeish was at the WBA game, and he's one of the betting favourites! Surprised  I'm hoping for him or Pulis.
    The Chosen Glenn
    The Chosen Glenn

Post by The Chosen Glenn Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:49 pm

no self respecting manager is going to take that job, 3 weeks after the transfer window has shut with the squad in disarray.

Pulis wouldn't be a bad appointment. I don't see why he or di Matteo would want the job, unless he's in a massive hurry. Steve Kean or Dougie Freedman seems like the more likely outcome. 

Next Permanent Manager

Roberto Di Matteo 6/5Tony Pulis 4/1Gus Poyet 4/1Alex McLeish 8/1
    Kevin Ball 16/1Steve McClaren 16/1Neil Lennon 18/1Gianfranco Zola 20/1
    Andrea Stramaccioni 25/1Gary Neville 25/1Ole Gunnar Solskjaer 25/1Paul Ince 33/1
    Neil Warnock 40/1Stuart Pearce 50/1Peter Reid 66/1Martin O'Neill 66/1
    Alan Curbishley 66/1Mick McCarthy 80/1Gianluca Vialli 80/1Giovanni Trapattoni 100/1
    Martin Jol 100/1Roy Keane 100/1Nigel Clough 100/1Ian Holloway 100/1
    Jurgen Klinsmann 100/1Niall Quinn 100/1Ralf Ragnick 100/1Hope Powell 250/1
    Joe Kinnear 250/1
    110%

Post by 110% Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:53 pm

Would like to see hope powell given a go
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:06 pm

will.i.glenn wrote:no self respecting manager is going to take that job, 3 weeks after the transfer window has shut with the squad in disarray.

Pulis wouldn't be a bad appointment. I don't see why he or di Matteo would want the job, unless he's in a massive hurry. Steve Kean or Dougie Freedman seems like the more likely outcome. 

Next Permanent Manager

Roberto Di Matteo 6/5Tony Pulis 4/1Gus Poyet 4/1Alex McLeish 8/1
    Kevin Ball 16/1Steve McClaren 16/1Neil Lennon 18/1Gianfranco Zola 20/1
    Andrea Stramaccioni 25/1Gary Neville 25/1Ole Gunnar Solskjaer 25/1Paul Ince 33/1
    Neil Warnock 40/1Stuart Pearce 50/1Peter Reid 66/1Martin O'Neill 66/1
    Alan Curbishley 66/1Mick McCarthy 80/1Gianluca Vialli 80/1Giovanni Trapattoni 100/1
    Martin Jol 100/1Roy Keane 100/1Nigel Clough 100/1Ian Holloway 100/1
    Jurgen Klinsmann 100/1Niall Quinn 100/1Ralf Ragnick 100/1Hope Powell 250/1
    Joe Kinnear 250/1
    Pulis or Di Matteo would leap on Sunderland job. they're not likely to get much better offers. Even if worse happens and they get relegated & sacked, the Di Canio mess will get a lot of blame & they'll get a nice fat payoff.
    The Chosen Glenn
    The Chosen Glenn

Post by The Chosen Glenn Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:14 pm

Di Matteo won the Champions League and scored the fastest ever goal in an FA Cup Final. He's probably ringing round to find out how safe Mourinho's job is first. 

I'd like to see them go all out and make Roy Hodgson an offer he can't refuse.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:58 am