Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
Formerly known as sheva7
Inglorious_B
Parks lives
The Pröfessör
Deano
None
Machiavel
Dwarf
DS
Football Genius
fcb
Super Progress
Torrente
17 posters

Macherano interview - example of a good professional

Torrente
    Torrente

Number of posts : 5489
    Registration date : 2006-08-16

Macherano interview - example of a good professional Empty Macherano interview - example of a good professional

Post by Torrente Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:50 pm

Instead of whining like a little girl, Macherano gave an honest, professional interview. I wish there were more players like him. I wish him the best at Liverpool.

Mascherano: Reasons behind my Hammers exit

Javier Mascherano has turned his back on a nightmare spell at West Ham claiming that his 'face did not fit' there.

The Argentinian World Cup star is set for his Liverpool debut - probably from the bench - at home to Sheffield United just relieved to be able to play again after months in the cold at Upton Park.

The 22 year-old said: 'I do not really want to talk about what happened at West Ham, I want to look to the future. But maybe my face did not fit.'

And he suggested the Hammers' staff might not have thought he was good enough for a place in the side.

The ramifications surrounding the arrival of Mascherano and Carlos Tevez at West Ham - still the subject of a Premier League inquiry - have not stopped the midfielder from being able to start afresh at Anfield.

It is believed that Liverpool have arranged to buy his contract from the group that brought him to East London and end the problem of dual ownership of the player.

But Mascherano's views on why he did not make the breakthrough at West Ham seem to endorse speculation that he was not welcomed into the Hammers' squad or really wanted by the management staff.

He said: 'First of all, I have to take some of the responsibility myself. I clearly didn't play well enough to warrant a place in the team.

'The backroom staff obviously didn't think I was worth it. I didn't play a great deal but I have to take my share of the blame.

'I came over here with hopes of playing football on a regular basis, and it didn't work out like that. It was a tough period, but I never allowed myself to get too down.

'I trained hard and keep the belief that my football was okay. I got occasional games, so I was involved. I always lived in hope that things would work out.'

Mascherano has been training at Liverpool for several weeks but has not played a first-team game since early December.

He said: 'There are amazing players in Liverpool, like Steven Gerrard, and that is why there is going to be great competition.

'I know that I'll have to be in a very good shape, and that doesn't scare me.

'It was very useful for me to speak with Rafa Benitez. He showed a great deal of interest in the way I play, and that made me feel confident.

'After three months without playing, a call from my new coach saying that he trusted me was the best thing that could happen to me. That's what I needed.

'From not being taken into account at West Ham, I'm now in a team that is at the top and plays in the Champions League.

'I am aware that this is an important step in my life and that my career will depend on what will happen at Liverpool. This is an opportunity that I won't waste.'

He is on an initial 18-month loan at Anfield and said of the West Ham experience: 'When we have a rough time, us players start making up excuses. I don't like to do that. I am self-critical and I know that I'm the first person to blame for what happened to me at West Ham.

'I was the one who agreed to go there and the one who signed the contract - nobody forced me to do anything. And I do not think that I wasted my time there. I grew up professionally.

'Going to West Ham wasn't the best thing to do. That's the truth and although it hurts, I have to accept it. I arrived there with the hope of playing so that the European people would know me, but I had very few possibilities.'

He was on the bench for Liverpool in Barcelona this week, and added: 'I have got used to the different culture in England.

'I believe I can fulfill all my footballing ambitions at Liverpool. I have been accepted and made welcome by the players.'
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Macherano interview - example of a good professional Empty Re: Macherano interview - example of a good professional

Post by Super Progress Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:00 pm

west ham are gonna regret letting him go. he can do a great job but im not sure there is room for him in liverpool when you consider that their midfield players are not old and even already have someone coming up(sissoko). arsenal should have taken him.
    Saintsar

Macherano interview - example of a good professional Empty Re: Macherano interview - example of a good professional

Post by Saintsar Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:07 pm

If Liverpool move Gerrard further forward then it's a straight battle between Alonso, Mascherano and Sissoko, depending on tactics, opposition and so on. I can see him doing very, very well for Liverpool.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:17 pm

you mean like this

Alonso-Mascherano- Sissoko

---------gerrard--------------

-----kuyt------bellamy-----

that could be very uncreative unless they have better attacking full backs like alves and maybe another one and then you might have the best midfield in the world.
    Saintsar

Post by Saintsar Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:49 pm

I meant more like:

---Alonso---Mascherano-- (or Sissoko for one of them)

Pennant-Gerrard--Gonzalez

--------Crouch/Kuyt-------

Or you put Gerrard in the supporting right-sided position and play Kuyt as the link man. Bellamy can play as the main striker or in either of the two wide supporting positions. Or any number of other variations.
    L r d

Post by L r d Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:07 pm

I've got alot of extra respect for him for that. Many players would - rightly - have complained about shite treatment and lack of opportunities. Good on him.

As for his position in the side, then yeah, basically what Saints said.

Gerrard's more likely now to be used as a mixture between a right midfielder and an attacking midfielder just infront of 2 in a 3-5-2 type system. So basically it's just 3 into 2. Not overly difficult.

Infact, in certain games, we could see all four playing.

- - - - - - - Mascherano
    Gerrard - Alonso - Sissoko - Other

or

- - - Mascherano - Sissoko
    - - - - - - - - Alonso
    Gerrard - - - - - - - - - - Other
    - - - - - - - - Striker

Possibilities, possibilities. The idea should be to be competing in 60 odd games a season (with a strong squad). So even without injuries and just basic rotation, they should all be starting around 30 games (probably more but my maths is shit) and that's not taking into account sub appearences and what not.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:25 pm

So Benitez can do a Mourinho and play the 4 man "power" midfield if he wants...
    L r d

Post by L r d Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:32 pm

kas wrote:So Benitez can do a Mourinho and play the 4 man "power" midfield if he wants...

Slighty different though as Gerrard's actually good enough to play on the right. Ballack and Flumps are shit. Totally takes away the point of having Essien in the side too if you play him there.

I doubt we'll see the luxemburgo formation any time soon, don't worry.
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Number of posts : 7743
    Supports : Liverpool

Post by Football Genius Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:57 pm

Benitez will be foaming at the mouth with excitement, just imagine the options

For me hes a great acquisition, as it will keep Sissoko on his toes (although he doesn't show many huge signs of inconsistancy) allows tactical options and offers strength in depth.

Im actually lost as to why West Ham never gave him a chance, perhaps he isn't best suited to a two man midfield, yet still he is a class above their existing central midfielders in terms of technical ability.
    Cesc

Post by Cesc Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:02 pm

Obispo wrote:- - - Mascherano - Sissoko
    - - - - - - - - Alonso
    - - - - - - - - Striker
    Yikes

That would be an awesome team.

Next season Kuyt will have a fulls eason under his belt and I imagine he will be near the top of the charts.

All that is needed is a good left winger.
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Number of posts : 7743
    Supports : Liverpool

Post by Football Genius Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:05 pm

Cesc wrote:
    - - - - - - - - Alonso
    - - - - - - - - Striker
    Yikes

Next season Kuyt will have a fulls eason under his belt and I imagine he will be near the top of the charts.

Either Messi or Ronaldinho will do the job
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:06 pm

MGP?
    L r d

Post by L r d Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:07 pm

Football Genius wrote:
    Im actually lost as to why West Ham never gave him a chance, perhaps he isn't best suited to a two man midfield, yet still he is a class above their existing central midfielders in terms of technical ability.

One of the rumours was that he was on a different contract to Tevez. If he played something like 10 games then it triggered a clause that meant that they'd end up buying him for £20m+.

The way it was meant to work, according to these rumours, was that Joorabchin would complete the takeover of the club, Mascherano would play the games as soon as it was formalised and immediately £20m of Joorabchin's money would go straight back to him to buy Mascherano off MSI. Some dodgy way of getting around tax or something similar, I suppose.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:10 pm

If that was true, surely Mascherano wouldn't appear to be in the dark, like it seems from these comments?

Definitely a strange matter, but nothing has been straightforward about these two ever since news of them arriving at West Ham broke.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:10 pm

Football Genius wrote:
    Cesc wrote:
    - - - - - - - - Alonso
    - - - - - - - - Striker
    Yikes

Either Messi or Ronaldinho will do the job

I'm surprised you think that after their performances against you on Wednesday

Sad
    Dwarf

Number of posts : 7502
    Supports : Operation Puerto
    Favourite Player : Dr. Eufemiano Fuentes
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Dwarf Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:15 pm

Cesc wrote:
    - - - - - - - - Alonso
    - - - - - - - - Striker
    Yikes

All that's needed is a Right back. Wingers aren't a necessity in one of those formations but attacking full backs are an absolute necessity. Chelsea would still somehow be leading the league with some decent full backs after all..
    L r d

Post by L r d Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:22 pm

Controversy wrote:
    Cesc wrote:
    - - - - - - - - Alonso
    - - - - - - - - Striker
    Yikes

All that's needed is a Right back. Wingers aren't a necessity in one of those formations but attacking full backs are an absolute necessity. Chelsea would still somehow be leading the league with some decent full backs after all..

Aye, I was going to say. I like Finnan but his piss-poor performances have been a bit of a trend in the big games domestically thi s season. If he crossed over the half way line against the Mancs and Arsenal away then it was done stealthily 'cos I didn't notice it.

In a dream world...

- - - - - - - - - - - Reina
    D. Alves - Carragher - Agger - Aurelio

Would be the defence behind it. If only Aurelio wasn't made out of glass...
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Machiavel Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:26 pm

@ Obispo

Daniel Alves of Sevilla .. he was close to joining?
    L r d

Post by L r d Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:27 pm

Rai Krol wrote:@ Obispo

Yup. Twice actually. We tried for him in the summer of 2005, but ended up pursuing the Figo deal for ages Doh

Then last summer we bid and just like the previous year he wanted to join, but we wouldn't pay hte £12m.

Third time lucky hopefully.
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Post by Machiavel Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:28 pm

Obispo wrote:

Yup. Twice actually. We tried for him in the summer of 2005, but ended up pursuing the Figo deal for ages Doh

Then last summer we bid and just like the previous year he wanted to join, but we wouldn't pay hte £12m.

Goodbye to Finnan..
    L r d

Post by L r d Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:30 pm

Rai Krol wrote:
    Obispo wrote:

Goodbye to Finnan..

Don't be silly! Finnan's been great again this season (after a dodgy start). Rotation dear boy, rotation. Finnan's 31 now. He can stay as a squad player at Liverpool and more than likely win a few more medals or he can go play week in, week out at upper-mid table and win sweet FA.
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Post by Machiavel Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:31 pm

@ Obispo

Rotation?

Isn't that a 'bad' word at Anfield?
    L r d

Post by L r d Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:34 pm

Rotation?

Nah. It's just an easier excuse to throw about than "The best players haven't been performing". Typical Sky bollocks. 3 months of harping on about rotation and Gerrard out position. We go away to Barca, Rafa rotates, puts Gerrard out of position and hands a debut to Arbeloa - out of position.

... What does he get off Sky? "Benitez does it again at hte Nou Camp" followed by endless comments about how bad Barca were. If only we had the same understanding when Gerrard, Carragher, Alonso and Co just weren't performing.
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Post by Machiavel Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:38 pm

Obispo wrote:

Rotation?

Nah. It's just an easier excuse to throw about than "The best players haven't been performing". Typical Sky bollocks. 3 months of harping on about rotation and Gerrard out position. We go away to Barca, Rafa rotates, puts Gerrard out of position and hands a debut to Arbeloa - out of position.

... What does he get off Sky? "Benitez does it again at hte Nou Camp" followed by endless comments about how bad Barca were. If only we had the same understanding when Gerrard, Carragher, Alonso and Co just weren't performing.

To be fair Sky .. mainly Andy Gray believed Gerrard to be playing off Kuyt, with Bellamy on the left and Arbeloa at right back..

Benetiz must have said something in his post-match interview .. not having a dig at Rafa, but when things don't go right .. 'Rotation' is a bad word, easy excuse to blame .. done well, team becomes great.
    L r d

Post by L r d Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:44 pm

Rafa didn't bring up rotation, though he was constantly asked about it.

Rafa - atleast in the English press - says the exact same nearly always. Win or lose. I quite like that to be honest. I can understand the frustration of the neutrals towards it, but having seen how often the press over here sensationalise just about everything - the everton incident is the prime example - I'm glad Rafa gives them fuck all to feed off. Leave that to the other managers.
    Saintsar

Post by Saintsar Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:47 pm

Rafa's like the anti-Maureen when it comes to the press. Where the Chelsea boss feeds loads to the press, constantly giving them a Chelsea-themed story so that they don't spend much time actually talking about the team and its problems, Benitez does the opposite - almost discourages the press from talking about Liverpool at all. No talking up or down of certain players, no bitching about referees or other managers, just a reasonably positive but generally understated response to everything.

And he'll probably win the European Cup again this season, confirming his incredible superiority over a certain Frenchman at a certain London club that I probably shouldn't mention.
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Post by Machiavel Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:48 pm

I don't know why Everton fans/club were angry towards Rafa's 'comments'

don't Everton sing "..we don't care what the red side says"?

plus .. many coaches 'rotate' and nothing is said, Rafa does it .. not sure why it makes the headlines (not as if its wholesale changes week in week out) but Rafa went a long time not playing the same side back-to-back.

As I've seen in this post .. if Mascherano, Gerrard, Xabi and Momo plays .. only 1 forward, maybe this would be a good move? Gerrard has the free role which people say he must have.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:51 pm

Obispo, check the Premiership Predictions thread Wink
    None

Number of posts : 2548
    Registration date : 2007-02-22

Post by None Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:51 pm

Rafa seems an "all-round" nice guy.

Him and Jol are my faves in the Prem.
    Saintsar

Post by Saintsar Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:53 pm

It's very difficult to dislike Benitez. He wins things, his team play good football, occasionally amazing football, he doesn't bitch or whine, isn't a raging hypocrite or pedophile...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 4:28 am