Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+19
Cesc Soler
Pierre Littbarski
Jaime
Allez les rouges
Tweesus
Effenberg
Kroos
Sheffield gunner
Parks lives
bluenine
Pirlo
Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U
debaser
Batman
Dejan Savićević
None
Deluded F*ck™
zen and the art of
Sgoater1
23 posters

Milan Champions League team of the last 20 years !

Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Milan Champions League team of the last 20 years ! Empty Milan Champions League team of the last 20 years !

Post by Sgoater1 Wed May 02, 2007 11:14 pm

Winners in 1988/1989, 1989/1990 and 2002/03, Runners Up in 1992/1993, 1994/1995 and 2004/05 and now finalists this season, they must simply be the best team in the Champions League over the last 20years.

What a team !

<Ale> Milan
    zen and the art of
    zen and the art of

Number of posts : 299
    Registration date : 2007-04-04

Milan Champions League team of the last 20 years ! Empty Re: Milan Champions League team of the last 20 years !

Post by zen and the art of Wed May 02, 2007 11:16 pm

Only been out of the 'top 4' in Europe once in the last 5 years. A fucking phenomenon. Simply the very best, if you discount 5 years of Madrid wins when no one entered the competition.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Milan Champions League team of the last 20 years ! Empty Re: Milan Champions League team of the last 20 years !

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Wed May 02, 2007 11:20 pm

zen and the art of wrote:Only been out of the 'top 4' in Europe once in the last 5 years. A fucking phenomenon. Simply the very best, if you discount 5 years of Madrid wins when no one entered the competition.
    Erm

1998 - Beat Juventus, as Underdogs.

2000 - Dethroned Man Utd, and beat Barca in their own back yard.

2002 - I'll give you that... they had no equal that year.

Funny how they never won La Liga & the CL in the same year - obviously weren't strong enough to launch a full-blooded, twin assault on both.

Hats of to AC for their amazing consistency in this competition (though I did say that they'd go all the way.)

Last edited by on Wed May 02, 2007 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    None

Number of posts : 2548
    Registration date : 2007-02-22

Post by None Wed May 02, 2007 11:21 pm

Unbelievable record, and with such style (particularly 95), wonderful club.
    None

Number of posts : 2548
    Registration date : 2007-02-22

Post by None Wed May 02, 2007 11:21 pm

Think he means the 50's.
    zen and the art of
    zen and the art of

Post by zen and the art of Wed May 02, 2007 11:22 pm

waft the hapless youth wrote:Think he means the 50's.

Is right.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Wed May 02, 2007 11:22 pm

waft the hapless youth wrote:Think he means the 50's.

That's just dawned on me Embarassed
    Dejan Savićević
    Dejan Savićević

Number of posts : 2921
    Supports : A.C. Milan/Italy
    Favourite Player : Lionel Messi, Andrés Iniesta, Xavi
    Registration date : 2007-01-26

Post by Dejan Savićević Wed May 02, 2007 11:23 pm

FORZA MILAN!

I am so proud! Very Happy
    Batman
    Batman

Number of posts : 9071

Post by Batman Wed May 02, 2007 11:25 pm

Juve would have won it in 2002/03 if Nedved had not been suspended for the Champions League final.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Wed May 02, 2007 11:27 pm

can't argue with that. truly a phenomenal consistency.
    Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U
    Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U

Number of posts : 3621
    Supports : Manchester United
    Favourite Player : Patrice Evra
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Post by Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U Wed May 02, 2007 11:28 pm

Milan Ale
    Pirlo
    Pirlo

Number of posts : 2750
    Supports : AC Milan
    Favourite Player : Andrea Pirlo, Maldini, Costacurta, Nesta, Redondo, Rui Costa, R. Baggio, Sheva, Boban, Albertini, Seedorf, Kaka!

Post by Pirlo Wed May 02, 2007 11:47 pm

And what players, and what football we have done it with!

This season i was at San Siro for our home defeat in the European Cup to Lille, and the Athens seemed a long way off!

But this cup is so important to Milan, it is more important than Serie A. The European Cup IS for Milan <Ale>

But what players that have made up those victories and finals since 1989!!

Tassotti, Albertini, Galli, Maldini, Donadoni, Boban, Savicevic, Massaro, Costacurta, Baresi, Rijkaard, Evani, Gullit, Van Basten, Desailly, Gattuso, Pirlo, Seedorf, Rui Costa, Shevchenko, Inzaghi, Crespo, Kaka

MILAN HONOURS IN THE YEARS OF BERLUSCONI:

SCUDETTI:
    1987-88, 1991-92, 1992-93, 1993-94, 1995-96, 1998-99, 2003-04

COPPA ITALIA:
    WINNER: 2002-03
    RUNNER-UP: 1984-85, 1989-90, 1997-98

SUPER COPPA DI LEGA:
    WINNER: 1988, 1992, 1993, 1994, 2005
    RUNNER-UP: 1996, 1999, 2003

UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE:
    WINNER: 1988-89, 1989-90, 1993-94, 2002-03, 2006-07?
    RUNNER UP: 1992-93, 1994-95, 2004-05, 2006-07?
    SEMI-FINAL: 2005-06

EUROPEAN SUPER CUP:
    WINNER: 1989, 1990, 1994, 2003
    RUNNER-UP: 1993

WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP:
    WINNER: 1989, 1990
    RUNNER UP: 1993, 1994, 2003

<Ale>
    Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U
    Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U

Number of posts : 3621
    Supports : Manchester United
    Favourite Player : Patrice Evra
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Post by Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U Wed May 02, 2007 11:49 pm

Pirlo wrote: But this cup is so important to Milan, it is more important than Serie A. The European Cup IS for Milan <Ale>

Yeah and Barca IS football. *Sigh*
    Dejan Savićević
    Dejan Savićević

Post by Dejan Savićević Wed May 02, 2007 11:50 pm

I am happy/proud Pirlo! <Ale>
    zen and the art of
    zen and the art of

Post by zen and the art of Wed May 02, 2007 11:52 pm

Pirlo wrote:
    But this cup is so important to Milan, it is more important than Serie A. The European Cup IS for Milan <Ale>

ok

Without having a go... is it any coincidence that clubs like Manchester United and Barcelona seem far more content with the league title (and trying to catch their rivals at the top), whereas Madrid, Milan and Liverpool seem to think that the European cup is just special in comparison.

I don't mean to generalise, but it's just the way the whole thing appears most of the time. I wonder, if United in 5-10 years have surprased our haul of 18 league titles, whether having 'only' two European cups will grate on them a bit more.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti

Post by bluenine Wed May 02, 2007 11:53 pm

I can never forget those 3, amazing amazing players - the forgotten heros! ok

Pirlo wrote:

Tassotti, Albertini, Galli, Maldini, Donadoni, Boban, Savicevic, Massaro, Costacurta, Baresi, Rijkaard, Evani, Gullit, Van Basten, Desailly, Gattuso, Pirlo, Seedorf, Rui Costa, Shevchenko, Inzaghi, Crespo, Kaka
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Wed May 02, 2007 11:53 pm

Interesting....
    Dejan Savićević
    Dejan Savićević

Post by Dejan Savićević Wed May 02, 2007 11:54 pm

Savicevic - Hero. <Ale>
    Pirlo
    Pirlo

Favourite Player : Andrea Pirlo, Maldini, Costacurta, Nesta, Redondo, Rui Costa, R. Baggio, Sheva, Boban, Albertini, Seedorf, Kaka!

Post by Pirlo Wed May 02, 2007 11:57 pm

zen and the art of wrote:
    Pirlo wrote:

ok

Without having a go... is it any coincidence that clubs like Manchester United and Barcelona seem far more content with the league title (and trying to catch their rivals at the top), whereas Madrid, Milan and Liverpool seem to think that the European cup is just special in comparison.

I don't mean to generalise, but it's just the way the whole thing appears most of the time. I wonder, if United in 5-10 years have surprased our haul of 18 league titles, whether having 'only' two European cups will grate on them a bit more.

Completely agree, all the talk in Milan this season has been for the European Cup, all the work with the squad has been toward the European Cup games, we have sacrificed focus domestically for the European Cup.

I mean, the tragedy was that we may not have qualified for the cup next season!! But now, that is safe.

That beautiful cup, that means you are champions of Europe, ! This is what Liverpool, Milan and Madrid fans share, this love affair of the cup, i think this is why htere is such a good relationship between those fans, they share that love, they all compete for that love, and they wil do anything to woo the attentions of that love.
    Dejan Savićević
    Dejan Savićević

Post by Dejan Savićević Wed May 02, 2007 11:59 pm

Pirlo wrote:This is what Liverpool, Milan and Madrid fans share, this love affair of the cup, i think this is why htere is such a good relationship between those fans, they share that love, they all compete for that love, and they wil do anything to woo the attentions of that love.

Spot on Pirlo. <Ale>
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by Sheffield gunner Thu May 03, 2007 11:08 am

bluenine wrote:I can never forget those 3, amazing amazing players - the forgotten heros! ok

Pirlo wrote:

Great players, and what a brilliant team Milan had throughout the early/mid 90's with them in it. Their final against Barcelona in 94 (I think) was just a superb performance, and from what I remember they even went into that game with half the first choice defence suspended.
    Kroos
    Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
    Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
    Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan

Post by Kroos Thu May 03, 2007 12:54 pm

MILAN >>>>>>><real madrid

i give a $h!t about real madrids succes in the 50`s Wink
    Effenberg
    Effenberg

Number of posts : 3975

Post by Effenberg Thu May 03, 2007 1:33 pm

Deisler, AGAIN, it's "I don't give a $h!t".
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Thu May 03, 2007 1:54 pm

Yeah, I remember Savicevic in that final, and Massaro. What a performance by them, they outshone Romario+Hagi+Stoichkov!!! The most one sided final I have seen, against the team which was touted to be the hands on favourite...

Sheffield gunner wrote:
    bluenine wrote:I can never forget those 3, amazing amazing players - the forgotten heros! ok

Pirlo wrote:

Great players, and what a brilliant team Milan had throughout the early/mid 90's with them in it. Their final against Barcelona in 94 (I think) was just a superb performance, and from what I remember they even went into that game with half the first choice defence suspended.
    Pirlo
    Pirlo

Post by Pirlo Thu May 03, 2007 2:04 pm

Donadoni and Boban were two of my favorites then, my idols from that Milan era were Baresi, Costacurta, Maldni and Albertini.

Massaro was like a cult though! <Ale>

I was only six years old for the first Milan dream team, the Rijkaard, Gullit, Van Basten era but i've watched the games on video and my granddad tells me all about them, damn for being too young! I efinately remember Van Basten's last game and his emotional retirement on the pitch, Capello was in tears.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Thu May 03, 2007 2:16 pm

Savecivic and Boban in particular - amazing players and hugely underrated at that time IMO.

Boban was one of my favourite footballers growing up, for some unknown reason

bluenine wrote:Yeah, I remember Savicevic in that final, and Massaro. What a performance by them, they outshone Romario+Hagi+Stoichkov!!! The most one sided final I have seen, against the team which was touted to be the hands on favourite...

Sheffield gunner wrote:

Pirlo wrote:

bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Thu May 03, 2007 2:21 pm

I started following football when Platini was ruling Serie A, which was immediately followed by the flying dutchmen.... that Milan were impressive, easily the best team I have seen in 20 years of watching football....

-------------------Galli
    Tassotti -- Costacurta -- Baresi -- Maldini
    Colombo - Rijkaard - Ancelotti - Donadoni
    -------------Gullit - Van Basten

And the likes of Evani, Fillipo Galli, and Massaro on the bench ok

It does not sound as good a team on paper as Capello's Milan, but the way Saachi's Milan dominated the field was mindblowing!!! Never seen anything like it, I remmeber the final against Steaua (4-0) was the first one I saw and what a thrashing!!!

Pirlo wrote:Donadoni and Boban were two of my favorites then, my idols from that Milan era were Baresi, Costacurta, Maldni and Albertini.

Massaro was like a cult though! <Ale>

I was only six years old for the first Milan dream team, the Rijkaard, Gullit, Van Basten era but i've watched the games on video and my granddad tells me all about them, damn for being too young! I efinately remember Van Basten's last game and his emotional retirement on the pitch, Capello was in tears.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Thu May 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Funny you mention it... I remmeber pre WC98, when Zidane was playing for Juve, many people used to call him as "the new Boban" Wink

Very similar players in the way they played the game...

Tweedle wrote:Savecivic and Boban in particular - amazing players and hugely underrated at that time IMO.

Boban was one of my favourite footballers growing up, for some unknown reason

bluenine wrote:Yeah, I remember Savicevic in that final, and Massaro. What a performance by them, they outshone Romario+Hagi+Stoichkov!!! The most one sided final I have seen, against the team which was touted to be the hands on favourite...

Sheffield gunner wrote:

Pirlo wrote:

Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Thu May 03, 2007 2:26 pm

Not that similar though, Zidane was probably slightly more individualistic than Boban and Boban wasn't really about the tricks.

Heard a few people make comparisons with Deco, but I don't really see that comparison working either. He was just Boban Ale
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Thu May 03, 2007 2:29 pm

There is so much to zizou apart from the tricks, most of which started after the WC98... and Boban was quite individualistic, all players in that role are... he could take a few defenders at a time, great vision too.

Tweedle wrote:Not that similar though, Zidane was probably slightly more individualistic than Boban and Boban wasn't really about the tricks.

Heard a few people make comparisons with Deco, but I don't really see that comparison working either. He was just Boban Ale

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 11:41 am