Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+26
Luis
Ricardo Jol
DeLux
gone
Tweesus
Kimbo
SuperMario
DD
Axeslammer
Mexicanbecks
Super Progress
A & K
fcb
Calidad
Sheffield gunner
OP9
Since 1888
Fey
Cesc Soler
Machiavel
DS
Parks lives
Rasiak-9
blutgraetsche
Deano
BoBo Vieri 32
30 posters

Your ideal team for Euro '08

DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Your ideal team for Euro '08 - Page 4 Empty Re: Your ideal team for Euro '08

Post by DS Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:20 am

I still think Foster has to prove himself before being chosen for England , while James going by last season is definately my fav for no1.
    DS
    DS

Post by DS Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:22 am

gone wrote:
    Calidad wrote:
    gone wrote:-----------Lobont-------------
    Ogararu--Goian--Chivu---Rat
    ---------Radoi---Codrea----
    Nicolita-----Dica------Mutu
    -----------Marica-----------

There's a player for Rat? That's unfortuntate.

Is the Romanian national side predominantly based in Romania, or is spread through Europe. I obviously know Chivu & Mutu, little of the others.

Lobont - Dinamo
    Goian, Radoi, Nicolita, Dica - Steaua.

The rest are from Italy (Mutu, Chivu, Codrea), Shaktar (Rat, Marica) and Holland (Ogararu).

But this is MY ideal formation. But there are about 4-5 Romanian based players in the NT (if everyone is fit). In the 90's there was 1 or 2 but our league has increase a lot since then.

BTW, his name is something like Rats in said in Romanian. Doesn't mean the same thing as it does in English. Laughing
    Isnt Radoi primarly a CB who can play DMC ?
    And is Marica the best CF you got?
    Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United

Post by Deano Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:46 am

England:

-------------------Green--------------

Richards---Ferdinand---King---Bridge

Lennon/Beckham---Hargreaves---Gerrard---Cole

----------------Rooney---Defoe-------

Italy: To follow...
    gone
    gone

Number of posts : 3455
    Supports : Steaua
    Favourite Player : Radoi, Ogararu, Nicolita, Iniesta, Edin Dzeko
    Registration date : 2007-03-27

Post by gone Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:33 pm

Dark Savante wrote:
    Isnt Radoi primarly a CB who can play DMC ?
    And is Marica the best CF you got?

He started as a CB but has been playing DMC for a couple of years now and it suits him better. Plus we have a lot of decent CB but not that many DMC.

Yes, Marica is the best we have now. There are a few others (Daniel Niculae from Auxerre is one of them) that can play as well.
    gone
    gone

Number of posts : 3455
    Supports : Steaua
    Favourite Player : Radoi, Ogararu, Nicolita, Iniesta, Edin Dzeko
    Registration date : 2007-03-27

Post by gone Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:36 pm

Rafael Nadal wrote:England:

I saw a lot of people didn't put Terry in their team. How come? He's one of the best CB in the world now.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:03 pm

MexicanTeamOfTheRosesFan wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:-----------------James(?)-----------------

Neville--Ferdinand--Woodgate--Bridge

Gerrard--Hargreaves--Carrick--J.Cole

-------------Rooney--Owen-------------

All of our keepers are shite, if James keeps up last seasons form then i'd pick him despite his age. <Ale>

Where's Terry?

Terry = Class

Terry's good, but not as good as Ferdinand or Woodgate.

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:14 pm

-------------------James----------------
    -Neville--Ferdinand----Terry---Cole--
    ---Beckham--Hargreaves--Gerrard--
    --------Cole----Crouch---Rooney-----
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:14 pm

Terry's the best defender England have
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:17 pm

Luis wrote:Terry's the best defender England have

In a deep-lying defence he's awesome. ok Personally i want to see an attacking England team which means we need players with more agility and ability on the ball.
    Luis
    Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:18 pm

I don't think having woodgate over Terry will mean a more attacking England side to be honest, England's hope of attack comes from Rooney, Joe Cole and if Lampard would bugger off, Gerrard.
    DS
    DS

Post by DS Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:21 pm

Why not having Woodgate or King means we can play a higher line or that either of our CB can carry the ball out of defense and join the attack.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:22 pm

Luis wrote:I don't think having woodgate over Terry will mean a more attacking England side to be honest, England's hope of attack comes from Rooney, Joe Cole and if Lampard would bugger off, Gerrard.

Woodgate would be a better defender for an attacking team. If the defence is pushed up to the half-way line and the other team counter attacks with pace, who would you rather have defending it?
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:22 pm

gone wrote:
    Rafael Nadal wrote:England:

I saw a lot of people didn't put Terry in their team. How come? He's one of the best CB in the world now.

I just don't rate him in International football. in the Premiership he is the best CB in the league ok In International games he makes many mistakes and isn't the Premiership Terry.

The team I picked would be more attacking and have a lot of pace. It's what we want to see from an England team. The England team would be more successful playing like a Premiership team rather than all this negative continental Cr@p.
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:24 pm

To be honest Lescott>>Terry and Woodgate......
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:25 pm

Ledley King is better when he isn't injured.
    Batman
    Batman

Number of posts : 9071

Post by Batman Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:36 pm

Never going to happen but i would like to see this team for Euro 08 because they would actually play as a team together IMO:

Foster

Neville . . . . . Ferdinand . . . . Terry . . . . . A Cole

Hargreaves . . . . Carrick

Lennon . . . . . . . Rooney . . . . . . . J Cole

Ashton

Subs: James, King, Bridge, Gerrard, SWP, Crouch, Owen.
    DD
    DD

Number of posts : 10721
    Supports : NEC

Post by DD Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:38 pm

Having Terry lie deep means that for England to attack, the midfield stretches away from the defense and the forwards from the midfield. As a result you'll not so much leave many gaps but acres of space for the opposition to run to (especially great teams). England will be more vulnerable to counters than they would be with a high line. Its just a risk of having Terry undroppable in international games. Pacy lone strikers, pace merchants, a good playmaker or #10 could all abuse this.
    England already aren't a possession team so that's just a big risk to always have a deep defence as default.

A higher defensive line will allow England to play a more attacking attractive game as well, and will increase the chances for England to be in the driver's seat too.

And, Terry isn't the best defender, nor the best international type defender England have.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be selected, its just that his automatic inclusion, and making England play a deep defense curbs England's options, and is (partly) responsible for being more vulnerable to counters and 'ugly' offensively.
    England will continue to play more 'boring' and ugly games as long as they can't stray from a deep defense.

I'm with Kimbo on this one. ok <Ale>
    England are a good national team with good/decent enough players to play a couple of ways, but as a team choose to play like a minnow (deep defense, some hoofing) to accomodate 'the best players'. And in more ways than one shoot themselves in the foot. The priority and the approach is just wrong. A good manager could really sort you out.

Last edited by on Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:38 pm

HHH wrote:Never going to happen but i would like to see this team for Euro 08 because they would actually play as a team together IMO:

Foster

Ashton

HHH is the current best poster on the board Ale
    DD
    DD

Post by DD Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:46 pm

HHH wrote:Never going to happen but i would like to see this team for Euro 08 because they would actually play as a team together IMO:

Foster

Ashton

That's the type of line-up England should play (Hargreaves & Carrick; Rooney as AM, and a good striker/targetman). The bench also looks good and is capable of adressing other things or impacting the game.

The names in blue should start and should play in those positions - a core of those players gives England much more stability and flexibility for the better. You can mix and match the other places without much consequence (e.g., Gerrard instead of Lennon etc.)
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:48 pm

So i'm the only one that rates Woodgate? Shocked
    Batman
    Batman

Number of posts : 9071

Post by Batman Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:50 pm

Kimbo wrote:So i'm the only one that rates Woodgate? Shocked

If he stays fit then him and Rio would make a great partnership.
    DD
    DD

Post by DD Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:52 pm

Kimbo wrote:So i'm the only one that rates Woodgate? Shocked
    I think more people rate him. Its just irrelevant though; Rio is the best defender and Terry won't be dropped. He's more likely to get a starter over the back of Rio than Terry's.

Whether you rate him or not, he's not getting in the squad just like that.
    DS
    DS

Post by DS Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:54 pm

No I am with you Kimbo.
    DS
    DS

Post by DS Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:55 pm

But DD is right.
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:49 pm

With Terry it really depends on the situation. If you don't play him from the start against a good, well organised team you are likely to be vulnerable because we would be playing a much higher line. I'd much rather see him there at the start, whether you rate him or not, he and Rio do look solid as a partnership.

However in chasing a game, you need to take more risks so playing Ferdinand + one of Woodgate/King would be better, although if we were really desperate for a goal, I'd stick Terry up front like he has done for Chelsea in the past:

E.g.

---------------------GK-----------------

Neville---Ferdinand---Terry---Bridge

----------------Hargreaves-------------

Beckham-------Gerrard---------J Cole

--------------Rooney--Owen------------

Chasing the game:

-------------------GK-------------------

-------Neville---Rio---Woodgate------

--------------Hargreaves---------------

Bentley-------Gerrard----------Bridge

-----------------J Cole-------------------

------------Rooney--Crouch-------------
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:52 pm

DD wrote:
    I'm not saying he shouldn't be selected, its just that his automatic inclusion, and making England play a deep defense curbs England's options, and is (partly) responsible for being more vulnerable to counters and 'ugly' offensively.
    England will continue to play more 'boring' and ugly games as long as they can't stray from a deep defense.

Surely playing a higher line makes you more vulnerable to counter attacks, especially if they play the offside trap well? (if the opposition doesn't have Inzaghi or Defoe playing for them you're fucked in this case)
    DD
    DD

Post by DD Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:50 pm

The higher line does appear to be the antithesis of a 'safer' defense - however it isn't, unless its played badly.
    A deep back is easier, but a higher line is better defensively. This because of a higher line will squeeze the midfield and defense tighter together and it will not allow the oposition to use space.

However, a higher line does need people that can play it: a defense that is in sync, that understands the off side game to a tee, the defenders need vision to intercept the oppositions through balls and they need pace to be able to correct any possible mistake or penetration. And preferably a sweeper keeper.
    Obviously you're not going to play a high line with Titus bramble; its not for everyone. Rio, however, is perfect for it. So are King and Woodgate.

The advantage of a high line is to condense your team onto the oppositions half and limit the space for them to play on - you're bullying the opposition on their own half. And you're transforming your team into a more attacking one (easier to create more chances).
    OP9
    OP9

Number of posts : 1476
    Supports : Tigres, Leverkusen, Mexico
    Favourite Player : Dzeko, Cristiano Ronaldo, Gio Dos Santos, Ibisevic, Memo Ochoa, Begovic, OP9
    Registration date : 2006-09-18

Post by OP9 Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:11 am

DD wrote:Having Terry lie deep means that for England to attack, the midfield stretches away from the defense and the forwards from the midfield. As a result you'll not so much leave many gaps but acres of space for the opposition to run to (especially great teams). England will be more vulnerable to counters than they would be with a high line. Its just a risk of having Terry undroppable in international games. Pacy lone strikers, pace merchants, a good playmaker or #10 could all abuse this.
    England already aren't a possession team so that's just a big risk to always have a deep defence as default.

A higher defensive line will allow England to play a more attacking attractive game as well, and will increase the chances for England to be in the driver's seat too.

And, Terry isn't the best defender, nor the best international type defender England have.

I'm with Kimbo on this one. ok <Ale>
    England are a good national team with good/decent enough players to play a couple of ways, but as a team choose to play like a minnow (deep defense, some hoofing) to accomodate 'the best players'. And in more ways than one shoot themselves in the foot. The priority and the approach is just wrong. A good manager could really sort you out.

I don't think England will ever go out on the attack. Let just do what made us champs in the 60's. A great defensive front anchored by an amazing center defender(Terry anyone)

Play defensively and the second we go ahead we drop all our guys down for the duration of the match.

All kidding aside

A good defensive England with swift intelligent counterattacking from the wings and intelligent forward play

That's all I want
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:59 am

DD wrote:The higher line does appear to be the antithesis of a 'safer' defense - however it isn't, unless its played badly.
    A deep back is easier, but a higher line is better defensively. This because of a higher line will squeeze the midfield and defense tighter together and it will not allow the oposition to use space.

However, a higher line does need people that can play it: a defense that is in sync, that understands the off side game to a tee, the defenders need vision to intercept the oppositions through balls and they need pace to be able to correct any possible mistake or penetration. And preferably a sweeper keeper.
    Obviously you're not going to play a high line with Titus bramble; its not for everyone. Rio, however, is perfect for it. So are King and Woodgate.

The advantage of a high line is to condense your team onto the oppositions half and limit the space for them to play on - you're bullying the opposition on their own half. And you're transforming your team into a more attacking one (easier to create more chances).

okAle

I don't really need to comment much - DD nearly always speaks for me on these matters:

-----------------------------------Foster

G.Neville (c)-------------Rio----------King/Woody----------Bridge

-------------------------Carrick----------Hargreaves

Dyer-------------------------Gerrard/Rooney-----------------J.Cole

-------------------------------Rooney/Ashton.

Deano - Bret "The Hitman" Hart has been campaigning long for Ashton's inclusion before Triple H brought it up - you know this! Sad

I'm the best Poster there is, the best poster there was, and the best poster there ever will be! Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:15 pm