Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Cesc Soler
Parks lives
christmasborocooper
Sheffield gunner
DS
Luis
robert
11 posters

Three clubs raided in corruption investigation

robert
    robert

Number of posts : 5672
    Supports : Manchester United
    Favourite Player : Giggs
    Registration date : 2006-08-14

Three clubs raided in corruption investigation Empty Three clubs raided in corruption investigation

Post by robert Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:23 pm

Police raided three football clubs today as part of an investigation into alleged corruption in football.

Police said the raids were not connected to Lord Stevens' ongoing Quest inquiry into the Premier League and were 'totally independent'.

City of London Police would not disclose which clubs were involved, or their league status, but said search warrants were executed between 7.30am and 9am today.

A spokeswoman said: 'We can confirm that search warrants were served at three football clubs and the homes of two individuals in connection with corruption in football and its impact on owners and shareholders.

'This investigation is a totally independent inquiry.

'It has not been influenced or informed by the Quest inquiry in any way.

'As this is a live investigation, it would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage.'

Northumbria Police said all inquiries about today's football corruption raids were being handled by City of London Police.

But a spokesman for the North East force said they were aware that 'an operation' had been carried out earlier today by their London colleagues at St James' Park, the home of Newcastle United.
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Three clubs raided in corruption investigation Empty Re: Three clubs raided in corruption investigation

Post by Luis Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:24 pm

West Ham, Newcastle and who's the other one?
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Three clubs raided in corruption investigation Empty Re: Three clubs raided in corruption investigation

Post by DS Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:25 pm

Newcastle is one.
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by Sheffield gunner Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:12 pm

Rangers have also been named in the investigation. The third club remains undisclosed.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by christmasborocooper Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:13 pm

Dirty jocks.
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:14 pm

Boro I reckon.

They weren't mean't to sign Pogo as he should really be in a mental asylum.
    Luis
    Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:14 pm

I think Boro or United
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:16 pm

Our deals for Yak and Rocky were meant to be a bit dodgy.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:16 pm

More likely Liverpool.

For lying about the offers Torres got.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:17 pm

Why does Rafa lie so much? Is it the beard?
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:18 pm

tapping up Tevez, definately United, and also i heard ferguson put a gun to heinze's head after he told him he wanted to go to Liverpool
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Number of posts : 9944
    Supports : Arsenal FC
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Cesc Soler Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:21 pm

I would be very surprised if it was Arsenal.

After the George Graham bung fiasco I imagine we would be extra careful with our deals.

Pompey?
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:23 pm

Cesc wrote:I would be very surprised if it was Arsenal.

Maybe a sex acts charge.
    Sheffield gunner

Post by Sheffield gunner Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:27 pm

The third team is Portsmouth. Harry's dodgy dealings?
    The Bulk
    The Bulk

Number of posts : 1961
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by The Bulk Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:29 pm

Blackburn? I'm going to posit the notion that Souness may be the common denominator here.

My idea is completely unsubstantiated, of course.

Boumsong, the Georgian defender, Ferguson, Amoruso, Tugay…

Edit - Ah, just seen Sheff Gunner's post. My bad!
    Batman
    Batman

Number of posts : 9071

Post by Batman Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:30 pm

Did Arsenal get in trouble for giving money to Beveren in the past?
    Sheffield gunner

Post by Sheffield gunner Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:32 pm

HHH wrote:Did Arsenal get in trouble for giving money to Beveren in the past?

No. There was that report on Newsnight last year, but to be honest they did over-dramatise the issue and made more of it than they should have done. I'm not sure if we changed our approach to the club though, I haven't heard of any recent links with them.
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Post by Cesc Soler Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:37 pm

HHH wrote:Did Arsenal get in trouble for giving money to Beveren in the past?
    No. Newsnight had a report on illegal links with Beveren, but nothing was found on it and it was all above board. The rumors were that it was brought out on a specific date to oust david Dein as one of the FA Council members.
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Post by Cesc Soler Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:39 pm

Sheffield gunner wrote:The third team is Portsmouth. Harry's dodgy dealings?
    Typical Harry, most of the deals will involve African imports.
    Sheffield gunner

Post by Sheffield gunner Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:40 pm

So, what do we think the three clubs (Ranger, Portsmouth, Newcastle) have done to prompt this police action? They say it is not linked to the Stevens enquiry but it must surely be something to do with improper transfers.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:44 pm

Sheffield gunner wrote:So, what do we think the three clubs (Ranger, Portsmouth, Newcastle) have done to prompt this police action? They say it is not linked to the Stevens enquiry but it must surely be something to do with improper transfers.

From our end it will be Souness, Fat Fed, and Douglas Hall. Probably something to do with the Boumsong transfer. Knowing that lot it could be any number of things though.
    Sheffield gunner

Post by Sheffield gunner Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:58 pm

Statement has just come out from Newcastle saying that they are not the subject of the investigation. They also say that if the police or the new owner's internal review reveals that the club were the victims of criminal activity they will take legal action. It would suggest that a former member of the club is the focus of any investigation.
    The Bulk
    The Bulk

Post by The Bulk Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:15 pm

There is something rancid about the manner in which Rangers conduct their business.

Take JA Boumsong, for example. Newcastle and Rangers were both interested in acquiring his registration when he was available as a Bosman. As you know, Rangers signed him with the help of his agent Willie McKay (who represents what's wrong with agents).

Six months later Souness signs him for, what, £8.6 million pounds. At that price you’d expect that a few clubs were actively pursuing him. But as far as I am aware, Newcastle were the only club interested in acquiring him during the January transfer window. Was he worth that lofty sum? No. That doesn’t necessarily entail that the transfer was bent, of course.

Is it plausible Souness helped Rangers out, or helped persons connected with the club - or the player - capitalise on an inflated valuation for a poor defender?

Celtic, too, were involved in some transfer hocus-pocus. Barnes invested about £5 million in Rafael Scheidt who, it transpired, was capped by Wanderly Luxemburgo for the purposes of fraudulently inflating his market value. After all, a couple of caps for Brazil necessarily inflates your worth to the market.

Unfortunately, I can’t confirm the veracity of this statement as it has been deleted by the source (Evening Times), but here’s Dodgy Dave confirming that his previous charges are convivial to his bent ways:

"Graeme has continued to help Rangers since he left by buying players. He is still a fan. Dick helped us by taking Craig Moore off our hands and Walter is, well, Walter.

It even goes beyond that. Graeme's son works for my organisation in Manchester and Walter's son works for Rangers, because they were all pals with my two sons.”

I’ll save the tales of dodgy property deals, investments by crooks, investigations by the South African government, and the ‘mysterious’ disappearance of Dodgy Dave and his transfer of governance of the club during one such investigation for another post.

Would you trust these two (Murray on the left, Bain, his trusted lieutenant, on the right)?

Three clubs raided in corruption investigation Murraybaincellhe3mo6
    Sheffield gunner

Post by Sheffield gunner Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:32 pm

It would appear that the police are investigating two transfers involving these three clubs, Boumsong's and Amdy Faye's move from Portsmouth to Newcastle.
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10247

Post by Murray Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:37 pm

The other strange thing about Rangers is that they have never properly explained how they got rid of their £80M debt, there was something extremely dodgy about that.
    The Bulk
    The Bulk

Post by The Bulk Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:43 pm

Murray wrote:The other strange thing about Rangers is that they have never properly explained how they got rid of their £80M debt, there was something extremely dodgy about that.

Yeah, I'm no finance wonk but in a couple of season they've reported the debt you mention to something more palatable to their shareholders.

Sure, Murray states they received, what, £18 million from the JJB deal, and he insists that they received money for some ex-players: Ricksen, Boumsong, eh…..?

Still it there seems to be a lot of money missing that would account for their debt.

Their creative accountants insist that Ibrox is worth £120 million pounds, or at least the land it sits on is! Yeah right! Govan is not an attractive place for property developers.

Show me the property developer who’s keen to pay £120 million for that Cr@p piece of land and I’ll show him this bridge I’d like to sell him! Kerching!

Wink
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10247

Post by Murray Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:29 pm

£120M for Ibrox lol! lol! lol!

That whole area is a complete dump. One of my aunts used to live near there, a bit too near. It was like being in a third world country.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:35 pm

Murray wrote:£120M for Ibrox lol! lol! lol!

That whole area is a complete dump. One of my aunts used to live near there, a bit too near. It was like being in a third world country.

ok It looks like there's been a war there recently.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:07 pm