Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
BBR_vavavoom
robert
Chap
theflyingfrenchman
The Easter Bunny
christmasborocooper
The-Frank-Tavern
Parks lives
12 posters

Makelele to be banned for two club games because of Domenech

Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Makelele to be banned for two club games because of Domenech Empty Makelele to be banned for two club games because of Domenech

Post by Parks lives Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:31 pm

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=412008&CPID=8&clid=8&lid=2&title=Makelele+threatened+with+ban

What a fucking idiot!
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Number of posts : 8505
    Supports : Atlético de Madrid
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Makelele to be banned for two club games because of Domenech Empty Re: Makelele to be banned for two club games because of Domenech

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:34 pm

what a pr¡ck, how much are man utd and liverpool paying the FFF?
    L r d

Makelele to be banned for two club games because of Domenech Empty Re: Makelele to be banned for two club games because of Domenech

Post by L r d Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:36 pm

Didn't he retire from international football?
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:38 pm

Obispo wrote:Didn't he retire from international football?

Did you not look at the link?

He said he'd retire after the World cup. However Domenech has gone and picked him in his squad and now threatening to get him banned for two club games if he doesn't join up.
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:39 pm

precisely, so what its saying is IF Nolan was picked by RoI and he said no they could enforce a ban surely not so there must be some system for avoiding this
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:40 pm

Officially retire....surely that would work?
    The Easter Bunny
    The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
    Supports : Cambridge
    Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson

Post by The Easter Bunny Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:34 pm

no cant mourinho withdraw him?
    theflyingfrenchman
    theflyingfrenchman

Number of posts : 4290
    Supports : BWFC, France, Rennes, Auxerre, Lorient
    Favourite Player : Diouf, Anelka, Diagne-Faye, Henry, Toulalan
    Registration date : 2006-08-14

Post by theflyingfrenchman Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:03 pm

Go on Domenech, we need Makelele in the team.
    Chap

Number of posts : 204
    Registration date : 2006-08-12

Post by Chap Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:16 pm

But surely you'd want to have replaced him by 2008 - he'd be 35.
    theflyingfrenchman
    theflyingfrenchman

Post by theflyingfrenchman Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:21 pm

Chap wrote:But surely you'd want to have replaced him by 2008 - he'd be 35.

He can still do a job. He's one of the top 5 midfielders in the world in my opinion. Even at 35 he'll be better than Diarra or Mavuba (though I was very impressed by his perf. vs Bosnia), and he'll give the team a bit more backbone.
    robert
    robert

Number of posts : 5672
    Supports : Manchester United
    Favourite Player : Giggs

Post by robert Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:38 am

What a twit, it has come to stage now where players don't have the choice. If I were Makelele i'd score two own goals just to tick him off.
    BBR_vavavoom
    BBR_vavavoom

Number of posts : 82
    Supports : France-Iran-Arsenal-Monaco-and all french teams!
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by BBR_vavavoom Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:43 pm

Though, i havent heard any of this in any french paper, so Im not going to believe the story!!! he specifically said he will let maka and thuram decide themselevs, and he didnt ask them for any quick responses!
    S4P

Post by S4P Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:15 pm

F*ck off domenech you pr*ck. Grr

I mean, sure, Essien will provide cover, but how the f*ck can he (Domenech) do anything when Maka said before that he was going to retire after the WC.

He already came out of retirement once, he won't do it again.
    toon h
    toon h

Number of posts : 8715
    Supports : FC Barcelona

Post by toon h Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:59 am

I think players have a moral obligation to represent their countries. Personal choice has nothing to do with it. They are representing a country of millions who would give their left testicle to be in Makalele's position.
    Owen Thomas
    Owen Thomas

Number of posts : 3874
    Supports : Manchester United F.C
    Favourite Player : Q.A Guy..

Post by Owen Thomas Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:52 am

toon h wrote:I think players have a moral obligation to represent their countries. Personal choice has nothing to do with it. They are representing a country of millions who would give their left testicle to be in Makalele's position.

There is no moral obligation as far as I can see.

Doesn't matter if other people would like to do it or not. He does not come from Soviet USSR, he lives in a free country and if he chooses to retire his choice should be respected.

Also, by retiring he will be giving someone else a chance in his place. Also, lets not forget that this is a GAME, it is not like refusing to fight for your army or something.

He has represented his country with honour and dignity for a long time and he is treated like this! Threatened by some disgraceful piece of scum with "Play or I'll get you banned". Whatever happened to RESPECT!!!

I do not often agree with Moaninho but in this case he is right, Makelele is being treated like a slave. I would hope FIFA or the FFF come out on Make's side.

The whole saga is ridiculous. This French manager would never say the same to Zidane. It is another slight towards a man seen as a water carrier, a person who is important to his team but doesn't deserve the respect of players who "make things happen". Real Madrid treated him the same and he rightly left.
    toon h
    toon h

Post by toon h Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:59 am

some people carry this issue of personal freedom too far IMO. Whatever happened to collective responsability and social duties?
    Owen Thomas
    Owen Thomas

Post by Owen Thomas Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:13 am

toon h wrote:some people carry this issue of personal freedom too far IMO. Whatever happened to collective responsability and social duties?

Can I ask why you are currently not toiling in the deserts of Iraq? or Afghanistan? Do you not have a moral responsibility to help out our troops?

Do you have communist sympathies or something?

At the end of the day, you say this because football is a game and so you view Make's refusal as a trivial matter. Yet if Tony Blair rang you up today and asked you to fly to Iraq or Lebanon or be put in prison for a few weeks you would refuse on the spot.

Playing internationally increases the chances of injury and breakdown, especially in one so old (for football). In effect, he is being forced to risk the rest of his career just because some stupid French manager is too unimaginative to think of a replacement (even though France has many good DMF).
    toon h
    toon h

Post by toon h Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:54 am

I do have communist sympathies, I suppose. At least Marxist sympathies, not Stalinist.

I am not British BTW, so Tony Blair is not likely to ring me. As far as I am concerned, I do not agree with the employment of troops in Iraq. I don't think the two things are comparable though.

I think players and managers are generally whingeing and spoiled brats. To talk in victimist terms of these millionaire gloryhunters, and compare them to soldiers fighting for our freedom in Iraq and Afghanistan is not exactly on the mark.

Can you think of anyone who earns this much money doing so little. Where does this money come from? From us, the football fans. Do we want to see them in action in international fixtures? Yes, we do. Can they refuse? Yes they can. Do I agree with that? No, I don't.

I think they have a moral obligation to give as much back to us, the football fans, as possible. If they want to quit football, let them quit entirely, but stop whingeing. They only quit international football because he doesn't get paid for it (generally, though I assume he earned more money this summer playing for France than you and me together in the whole year).
    Owen Thomas
    Owen Thomas

Post by Owen Thomas Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:51 pm

toon h wrote:I do have communist sympathies, I suppose. At least Marxist sympathies, not Stalinist.

I am not British BTW, so Tony Blair is not likely to ring me. As far as I am concerned, I do not agree with the employment of troops in Iraq. I don't think the two things are comparable though.

I think players and managers are generally whingeing and spoiled brats. To talk in victimist terms of these millionaire gloryhunters, and compare them to soldiers fighting for our freedom in Iraq and Afghanistan is not exactly on the mark.

Can you think of anyone who earns this much money doing so little. Where does this money come from? From us, the football fans. Do we want to see them in action in international fixtures? Yes, we do. Can they refuse? Yes they can. Do I agree with that? No, I don't.

I think they have a moral obligation to give as much back to us, the football fans, as possible. If they want to quit football, let them quit entirely, but stop whingeing. They only quit international football because he doesn't get paid for it (generally, though I assume he earned more money this summer playing for France than you and me together in the whole year).

I do not agree with the crux of your sentiments at all. The fact of the matter is that they get paid so much because the public is willing to pay it. This is how a capitalist society works.

I do not believe in your general idea that they are not "worth" it and therefore owe us something in return. Players like Paul Scholes make a fortune from football and yet never participate in the public eye - yet this is lauded in some quarters of the media as being "ungreedy". Should he be forced to participate in charity events because he gets paid £50,000 a week?

If I might be allowed to ask a rude question - How much do you earn per year? Is anybody even worth £5 an hour when you consider that that can buy a single meal for five people? Surely you have a "moral responsibility" to donate everything above what you need to starving people in Africa? Why are you paying for the internet? is this necessary? You could save tens of people's lives with this money.
    theflyingfrenchman
    theflyingfrenchman

Post by theflyingfrenchman Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:50 pm

I think the players should play for their national team until they retire if they are good enough. If they are fit enough to play for their clubs, they are still fit enough to play for their country.
    theflyingfrenchman
    theflyingfrenchman

Post by theflyingfrenchman Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:50 pm

Plus it'll piss off Mourinho, it's not like he hasn't got 3 other DMs to play instead Doh
    DD
    DD

Number of posts : 10721
    Supports : NEC

Post by DD Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:12 pm

@ Flying Frenchman/Arnoud/Napoleon

What do you think of this situation? Are you in Makalele's camp or Domenech's?
    BBR_vavavoom
    BBR_vavavoom

Number of posts : 82
    Supports : France-Iran-Arsenal-Monaco-and all french teams!
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by BBR_vavavoom Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:16 pm

S4P wrote:F*ck off domenech you pr*ck. Grr

I mean, sure, Essien will provide cover, but how the f*ck can he (Domenech) do anything when Maka said before that he was going to retire after the WC.

He already came out of retirement once, he won't do it again.

Perhaps a few people need to be better informed on these boards...According to FIFA regulations any player is free to retire from international football as long as he informs the appropriate authorities. Maka didnt do that as he hadn't decided yet, and he has been quoted this weekend as saying its his role to play for his country. Now Mourinho the little wanker has decided to interfere when its really a matter between French football and makele in the first instance. The little scum doesnt like it when he has no power or influence on a matter. His quote on they treating him like a slave was typically clever and deviously spiteful.

Makelele has not announce his retirment so his liable to play. case closed.
    theflyingfrenchman
    theflyingfrenchman

Post by theflyingfrenchman Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:43 pm

Distinguished Dutchman wrote:@ Flying Frenchman/Arnoud/Napoleon

Like I said, Maké seems pleased to play for france. It's mainly DOmenech who doesn't want him to play so he doesn't get injured.

Domenech should tell Mourinho to fuck off and get a life. And a new coat. And a better haircut.
    L r d

Post by L r d Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:34 pm

Chelsea are right about Makelele

The rights and wrongs of whether a player is 'allowed' to retire from international football have been brought into sharp contrast in the club vs country row between Chelsea and France. The heart of the matter is that Claude Makelele retired from international football, but then decided to return to help France qualify for the World Cup, Makelele and Jose Mourinho then believed that he would be allowed to withdraw from international football.

But France coach Raymond Domenech has insisted on Makelele carrying on and has stated that he would press for FIFA to ban Makelele for two club matches in return for every international match that he missed. Jose Mourinho responded with an emotive, barbed soundbite:

"Makelele is not a football player - Makelele is a slave"

The player himself has displayed an applaudable reserve. Rather than rant and rave, he has agreed to the call up with his customary dignity:

"Even if my club doesn't agree, I will humbly honour that call. ... I spoke with the French team coach and he believes I am still able to bring something extra to the team. I don't blame [Domenech] for anything and I will go back and play with France."

According to FIFA spokesman Andreas Herren, players can retire from international football.

"There is no Fifa rule to prevent any player stopping his international career, that's up to him. The one thing that has to be considered is that the intention to leave a national team or put an end to an international career needs to be communicated prior to a specific summons."

In other words, write to us before you are called up - not after.

The reality with most international retirements is that they basically amount to a 'Gentlemans' agreement'. The player announces that they don't want to play international football and the country respects this. In England Alan Shearer and Paul Scholes retired in their late twenties to allow them to prolong their club careers - although both players were subject to some speculation that they might return at different times neither were subsequently called up. Most players don't formally tell FIFA about their intentions.

To show that Chelsea have a good point on this matter how would Newcastle United have reacted if Shearer had been called up for World Cup or Euro 2004 qualifiers in the past four years - with the threat of a club ban if he refused? No doubt they would have reacted as Chelsea have done, simply because of the limited mileage left in his legs.

But there is the ever-present danger that major clubs will continue to bully players of marginal international nations into withdrawing from friendly internationals - and even retire from international football altogether. The clubs pay the wages and they are always concerned about burning out and injuries. It is simple naivity to believe that players always act for themselves in these matters. From the players' angle if they can get a massive transfer if they abandon internationals then there are plenty greedy enough to try it, as well. Allowing a 26 year old international to 'retire' to improve his marketability to elite clubs is just wrong.

A FIFA ruling that put in stone when a player was 'allowed' to concentrate on club football would be better. Something that doesn't require a fomal letter, stops bullying and 'get-rich-quick' players. Rather than allowing a player to formally retire whenever they (or their club) feel like it a rule needs to be developed that would return some control to players who have earned the right to choose.

I would propose a 30/30 rule along the lines of:

If a player has played 30 or more times for his country and is 30 years old or more then he should have the right to withdraw from international football with no comeback.

Veterans with long service should be given the opportunity to choose to concentrate on their club career - especially as they are likely to be becoming less central to the needs of their national side. Younger players and ones with less international exposure should be available for selection at all times

Makelele should be able to concentrate on his club career as that is his wish, he has run the hard yards and taken enough knocks for France to entitle him to choose. But with his usual dignity Makelele will probably now have to write a formal letter to FIFA simply to resume a retirement that he has earned.

Antony Melvin
    29 August 2006
    Napoléon
    Napoléon

Number of posts : 1170
    Supports : Les Bleus - Marseille

Post by Napoléon Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:01 pm

Distinguished Dutchman wrote:@ Flying Frenchman/Arnoud/Napoleon

I'm totally agree with what was said by BBR and FF.
    If Makélélé is with the french team, that's only because he decided to be there.
    toon h
    toon h

Post by toon h Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:47 am

what about a player with double nationality? Should he be allowed to refuse to play for one country if called up? (e.g. half-English, half-Welsh and called up by Wales but rather wanting to wait and see if he can play for England some day)
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:04 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/5298458.stm

seems he shouldn´t have to play after all

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:35 pm