Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+22
Football Genius
rza
SuperMario
Lordanger
Romford Pele
Rasiak-9
StevieG
Pierre Littbarski
Hlebagone
Deluded F*ck™
Eduardo-sexin-the-arsenal
The Pröfessör
lrdsucksgoats
Parks lives
Lard
Sgoater1
debaser
Sheffield gunner
Calidad
Tweesus
Freddie Or Not
The-Frank-Tavern
26 posters

Walcott

The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Number of posts : 8505
    Supports : Atlético de Madrid
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Walcott Empty Walcott

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:12 am

Can really see him being an expensive failure, he is sh¡t quick but has no natural sense of what to do with the ball when he gets there and needs to bulk up a bit too lightweight, was defo the weak link in an otherwise solid arsenal display, helped by Derby. BUT Theo was p¡ss poor, think wenger who could have easily avoided sven taking him to the WC has heaped too much pressure on him and he is crumbling under the weight of expectation.
    Freddie Or Not
    Freddie Or Not

Number of posts : 543
    Supports : Arsenal

Walcott Empty Re: Walcott

Post by Freddie Or Not Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:23 am

I was at the game on Saturday and you are right - he was mostly dreadful. The crowd were even starting to get on his back. Time and again he got into promising positions only to be let down by his poor passing or by poor decision making. The only encouraging aspect was that his touch was OK and that he did a couple of nice spins. Genuinely we could have won that game 10 nil if Theo had played even remotely well.

Still, I'm not prepared to right him off yet. This was his first game for a while. When Adebayor played his first game for a while a few weeks ago he was awful - now look at him. Hopefully Theo will play in the League Cup in mid week.

But there is no doubt that he is struggling to integrate into our stlye of play. His passing is nowhere near up to scratch. This is a big season for him, but he won't play the games because he doesn't convince enough in the few that he does play.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Tweesus Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:31 am

He's only 17 right? I'm inclined to wait a couple more seasons before judging him. There aren't many players of a similar age to him or under in the EPL at the moment. In fact I struggle to think of any!

He does struggle with his distribution at the moment though. Maybe he should get some tutoring from Cesc Wink
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:34 am

Tweedle wrote:He does struggle with his distribution at the moment though.
    thats in in a nutshell though, some of the positions he got into on saturday, he had no excuse for poor delivery though, imho this should be the one aspect which he shouldn't be struggling with at his age, physical strength, yes, ability to get through 90 mins of epl footy, yes but distribution when under no pressure, which happened a lot on saturday no. í'm more than willing to give him time, but his technique worries me a lot.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:38 am

What's more interesting is that Wenger spent so much on him, for someone that had proved very little. I wonder if it was a board signing?
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403

Post by Sheffield gunner Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:43 am

Calidad wrote:What's more interesting is that Wenger spent so much on him, for someone that had proved very little. I wonder if it was a board signing?

Maybe a little bit of external pressure. At that time we were being heavily criticised for our lack of English players, so maybe that had a slight influence on Wenger's decision.

I've said it a couple of times, but Walcott is far too timid. All the best young players have a confidence in their ability that verges on arrogance, but it allows them to have faith in what they are doing on the pitch and makes them willing to try things and be adventurous. Walcott always looks so nervous, he never really takes players on despite his pace, and is so hesitant when he gets in a good position. There was at least one occasion on Saturday when he had so much space to run at the fullback, but just shuffled along before eventually hitting a cross straight at the defender.

He doesn't have the best technique, but with his pace he should still be causing teams far greater problems than he does at the moment.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:47 am

We only spend £5m up front. Its not a huge amount. Because of his England cap that has now gone up to £6m. None of the other critera have yet been fulfilled though and they all relate to personal achievements
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:49 am

still a lot for a very much unproven talent with some potential, tweeds, when you compare it to other wenger signings, even allowing for the english premium
    Freddie Or Not
    Freddie Or Not

Number of posts : 543

Post by Freddie Or Not Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:51 am

Tweedle wrote:He's only 17 right? I'm inclined to wait a couple more seasons before judging him. There aren't many players of a similar age to him or under in the EPL at the moment. In fact I struggle to think of any!

He does struggle with his distribution at the moment though. Maybe he should get some tutoring from Cesc Wink

He's 18, turning 19 this season.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:01 am

he's no agbonlahor ok
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City

Post by Sgoater1 Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:28 pm

debaser wrote:he's no agbonlahor ok

What do people think of Agbonlahor now ? i said last season he would be in my top 10 englsih strikers (in 10th place) and got laughed out of town.

Have people come round to my way of thinking ?

As for Walcott, maybe he is not performing cos e is being played on the wing and not as a striker which is his best position. Also maybe he would improve if he went out on loan...maybe back to Southampton.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:45 pm

I said he reminded me of Kaka with one of his runs last season Laugh

He's decent. He relies a lot on pace though. He has good shooting technique but isn't a particularly good link up player and lacks creativity and vision, not that it matters too much though. Not every player can be a Maradonna.

He seems to have a good eye for goal though and a no fear attitude + seems to deliver against the big teams as well
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:01 pm

Tweedle wrote:I said he reminded me of Kaka with one of his runs last season Laugh

He's decent. He relies a lot on pace though. He has good shooting technique but isn't a particularly good link up player and lacks creativity and vision, not that it matters too much though. Not every player can be a Maradonna.

He seems to have a good eye for goal though and a no fear attitude + seems to deliver against the big teams as well
    that's about right. he's better as a striker, he hasn't got the tricks to take on players on the wing, which is where he's been playing mostly, but he's got pace, determination and good composure. and he's stronger than he looks. just doesn't always take the right option, but that will come with experience.

given a whole season up front i think he'd be scoring around 15 league goals and now carew's injured i expect him to starting as a striker.
    Lard
    Lard

Number of posts : 3822
    Registration date : 2007-03-31

Post by Lard Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:09 pm

I reckon he will turn out a useful player, but it wont be for Arsenal. They are at the stage where they are now ruining his career. What is the point in him being at Arsenal if he is never going to play, and when he does it is out of position? He could have a season like Agbonlahor had last year if he played for a different team. Even at man utd he could fit in with the style. But Arsenal's style doesnt suit him anyway he cant pass the ball so well.
    I reckon he will spend another 2-3 years on the bench or not making arsenal squads before eventually being sold, then he will maybe do something.
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:10 pm

L r d wrote:Ronaldo > Scholes

Evil or Very Mad
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:14 pm

Walcott is getting games for us lrd. He started on Saturday.

It may all just suddenly click for him, but at present he doesn't look like ever developing into a regular first teamer and certainly won't become an England interntional of any repute
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Number of posts : 9523
    Supports : Decentralisation of the state
    Favourite Player : The lesser spotted Ronaldo
    Registration date : 2007-02-25

Post by lrdsucksgoats Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:56 pm

Freddie Or Not wrote:I was at the game on Saturday and you are right - he was mostly dreadful. The crowd were even starting to get on his back. Time and again he got into promising positions only to be let down by his poor passing or by poor decision making. The only encouraging aspect was that his touch was OK and that he did a couple of nice spins. Genuinely we could have won that game 10 nil if Theo had played even remotely well.

Still, I'm not prepared to right him off yet. This was his first game for a while. When Adebayor played his first game for a while a few weeks ago he was awful - now look at him. Hopefully Theo will play in the League Cup in mid week.

But there is no doubt that he is struggling to integrate into our stlye of play. His passing is nowhere near up to scratch. This is a big season for him, but he won't play the games because he doesn't convince enough in the few that he does play.

Tweedle wrote:Walcott is getting games for us lrd. He started on Saturday.

It may all just suddenly click for him, but at present he doesn't look like ever developing into a regular first teamer and certainly won't become an England interntional of any repute

I wish you lot would make up your minds. Either he's not playing or he is.

And I've no idea what you mean about performing against the big teams Tweeds. One goal in the League Cup final (and then a performance of total anonymity) doesn't make him a big game player. And no, he's not 17. How typical of an Arsenal fan to try to use youth as an excuse for a basic inability to control or pass a football.

He'll go nowhere. He's like Michael Owen without the predatory instinct. Loads of pace, decent finish with either foot, that's about it. You got ripped off. Should have bought Bale. Who has scored more goals in one month with Spurs than Theo has in a year and a half with Arsenal...
    The Pröfessör
    The Pröfessör

Number of posts : 10076

Post by The Pröfessör Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:12 pm

Ayman Zawahiri wrote:

And I've no idea what you mean about performing against the big teams Tweeds. One goal in the League Cup final (and then a performance of total anonymity) doesn't make him a big game player

bull..

he raped Wayne Bridge( who i think is overrated defensively btw) over and again, watch the tape again and see for yourself ok

There's no denying the boy has yet to find his feet at our club, but one thing i I'd say is this: don't be quick in writing young players off!

You can have your reservation about a young player, but don't turn it into a sort of hate campaign as you're doing in theo's case i have noticed.. Players can look Cr@p today but turn into world beaters in 2 years. so you should always try measure your critcism.

BTw you're not the only one with that problem on this board
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:29 pm

Ayman Zawahiri wrote:
    And I've no idea what you mean about performing against the big teams Tweeds. One goal in the League Cup final (and then a performance of total anonymity) doesn't make him a big game player.

Read back. I was talking about Agbonlahor

How typical of an Arsenal fan to try to use youth as an excuse for a basic inability to control or pass a football.

Players improve with age saints. Its a plain and simple fact. Cristiano wasn't a particularly good passer of the ball when he joined UTd. He didn't have much of an end product either but he learnt how and when to pass, has improved his shooting technique and now seems capable of putting in very dangerous crosses. Age does matter.

Number of posts : 116
    Favourite Player : Robin Van Persie, Cesc Fabregas, Kaka
    Registration date : 2007-07-16

Post by Eduardo-sexin-the-arsenal Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:40 pm

Sheffield gunner wrote:
    Calidad wrote:What's more interesting is that Wenger spent so much on him, for someone that had proved very little. I wonder if it was a board signing?

Maybe a little bit of external pressure. At that time we were being heavily criticised for our lack of English players, so maybe that had a slight influence on Wenger's decision.

I've said it a couple of times, but Walcott is far too timid. All the best young players have a confidence in their ability that verges on arrogance, but it allows them to have faith in what they are doing on the pitch and makes them willing to try things and be adventurous. Walcott always looks so nervous, he never really takes players on despite his pace, and is so hesitant when he gets in a good position. There was at least one occasion on Saturday when he had so much space to run at the fullback, but just shuffled along before eventually hitting a cross straight at the defender.

He doesn't have the best technique, but with his pace he should still be causing teams far greater problems than he does at the moment.

I have to say this is what worries me most about him. Whenever i see him play he seems to lack confidence, whereas all great players have a sense of self belief and arrogance (in a good way) - see Ronaldo, Rooney etc. I think he needs to get this sorted out if he is to have a big impact in future.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:55 pm

Ayman Zawahiri wrote:Bale. Who has scored more goals in one month with Spurs than Theo has in a year and a half with Arsenal...

That is all.
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Number of posts : 6086
    Registration date : 2007-03-17

Post by Hlebagone Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:16 pm

TeamSpirit™️ wrote:
    Ayman Zawahiri wrote:Bale. Who has scored more goals in one month with Spurs than Theo has in a year and a half with Arsenal...

That is all.

We'll let you feel msug about that one. <Ale> Biggrin
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Post by lrdsucksgoats Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:50 pm

Tweedle wrote:
    How typical of an Arsenal fan to try to use youth as an excuse for a basic inability to control or pass a football.

Players improve with age saints. Its a plain and simple fact.

Not always. This like the 'Van Persie will only get better' Cr@p your lot were shitting out before the season started.

Cristiano wasn't a particularly good passer of the ball when he joined UTd. He didn't have much of an end product either but he learnt how and when to pass, has improved his shooting technique and now seems capable of putting in very dangerous crosses. Age does matter.

He had the technical ability. Walcott does not. If you can't control a ball at 18, you're not going to ever be able to. Look at Rooney. His touch hasn't improved since he was 16 or 17, and has never been particularly good...
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:51 pm

Hlebadinho wrote:
    TeamSpirit™️ wrote:

That is all.

We'll let you feel msug about that one. <Ale> Biggrin

What ?

I was far more confident about Bale being a bigger EPL success than Walcott, than I ever was about Spurs doing well, and beating Arsenal in the league, or finishing ahead of you.

The latter prospect went out of the window the day Darren Bent was signed.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:52 pm

Agooner wrote:he raped Wayne Bridge( who i think is overrated defensively btw)

...Hmm - he ate Ronaldo alive in the FA Cup final.
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Post by lrdsucksgoats Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:54 pm

Agooner wrote:
    Ayman Zawahiri wrote:

And I've no idea what you mean about performing against the big teams Tweeds. One goal in the League Cup final (and then a performance of total anonymity) doesn't make him a big game player

bull..

he raped Wayne Bridge( who i think is overrated defensively btw) over and again, watch the tape again and see for yourself ok

Must have been watching a different game. I saw him dribble the ball into touch three times and fail to beat a man again and again and again.

There's no denying the boy has yet to find his feet at our club, but one thing i I'd say is this: don't be quick in writing young players off!

I've been watching him for longer than you. I know whether or not he's developing. He isn't, or at least, not at anything like the rate he needs to if he's going to fulfill expectations.

You can have your reservation about a young player, but don't turn it into a sort of hate campaign as you're doing in theo's case i have noticed..

Ooooh, you've 'noticed', have you? Well, I've noticed you noticing. Hazaaaam! Like I'm even the slightest bit intimidated by your puerile attempts to analyse me...

Players can look Cr@p today but turn into world beaters in 2 years. so you should always try measure your critcism.

Name five players who've done this.

BTw you're not the only one with that problem on this board

And you're not the only simian on this board.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:01 pm

TeamSpirit™️ wrote:
    What ?

I was far more confident about Bale being a bigger EPL success than Walcott, than I ever was about Spurs doing well, and beating Arsenal in the league, or finishing ahead of you.

The latter prospect went out of the window the day Darren Bent was signed.

Yeh, its all down to Darren Bent ok

You came fifth last season and since then you've signed 'world class potential' Bale, Kaboul, Bent and Boateng: so you've strengthened your squad considerably. We on the other hand sold Ljungberg, Reyes and Henry, signing Sagna, Fabianski and Eduardo for a net loss
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:04 am

Because my dear Tweeds - there were far more pressing issues in the squad than another big-money striker. We crave a creative winger - which we could've got for that sort of money...

Bale & Kaboul I'm happy with. The prince is an unknown quantity, but all the reports from the reserves have been good.

For instance - you wouldn't want Arsenal to go and Spend £10m-£12m on Steven Taylor, when you've already got Toure, Gallas & Djourou on the books, would you ?
    StevieG
    StevieG

Number of posts : 1039
    Supports : 1.Valencia C F. 2.Stockport County
    Favourite Player : David Villa , Joaquin
    Registration date : 2007-07-22

Post by StevieG Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:18 am

agbonlahor is the best english young talent atm for me i have to say. hes really showing his class for villa under o neill this season. ( i know o neills brother;) wooo)
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:39 am

TeamSpirit™ wrote:Because my dear Tweeds - there were far more pressing issues in the squad than another big-money striker. We crave a creative winger - which we could've got for that sort of money...

Bale & Kaboul I'm happy with. The prince is an unknown quantity, but all the reports from the reserves have been good.

For instance - you wouldn't want Arsenal to go and Spend £10m-£12m on Steven Taylor, when you've already got Toure, Gallas & Djourou on the books, would you ?

Bale seems to have done pretty well for you on the left so far. He's been your best player in fact.

If you're playing Bale there then its arguable that the £16m would have been better spent on someone like Lucho

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 8:00 pm