Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Deano
Parks lives
6 posters

Stephen Ireland pulls out of Ireland fixtures

Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Stephen Ireland pulls out of Ireland fixtures Empty Stephen Ireland pulls out of Ireland fixtures

Post by Parks lives Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:57 pm

IRELAND OUT OF REPUBLIC GAMES

Manchester City midfielder Stephen Ireland has withdrawn from the Republic of Ireland's squad for their upcoming Euro 2008 qualifiers because he "would not do his country or himself justice".

The news comes as a further blow for manager Steve Staunton for the Group D meetings at Croke Park with Germany on Saturday and Cyprus four days later following full-back Stephen Carr's withdrawal earlier with a hamstring problem.

Ireland, 21, pulled out of the Republic's last qualifier against the Czech Republic in September citing the death of a grandmother but later admitted he had made it up as he wanted to be with his partner who had suffered a miscarriage.

Defeat to the Czechs effectively ended the Republic's qualification hopes but the City midfielder gained an instant recall to the squad with the Republic boss insisting "it's history now".

But now Ireland has revealed he is unsure whether he could provide a "positive contribution" to the side.

He told Manchester City's website: "I have thought long and hard about whether I would do my country and myself justice if I joined up with the squad. Unfortunately, I don't believe I would on this occasion.

"The support I have received from Mr Staunton and the FAI has been excellent and everybody at Manchester City has also been superb. However, I do not believe I can make a positive contribution to our efforts to qualify."

Manchester City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson added: "This is disappointing for everybody. Steve Staunton and I have been working together to help Stephen through a period which he is clearly finding very difficult.

"We together have left no stone unturned in our efforts to convince him he has so much to offer his country and that international football will greatly benefit his long-term career.

"I hope that Stephen will soon feel stable enough to resume his international career."

Ipswich defender Alex Bruce has been called into the squad following the withdrawals.

Bruce, whose one senior cap came against Ecuador in the summer, had been put on standby by Staunton.

scratch
    Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Stephen Ireland pulls out of Ireland fixtures Empty Re: Stephen Ireland pulls out of Ireland fixtures

Post by Deano Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:59 pm

Strange decision...seems more like a City over Ireland thing to be honest.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Stephen Ireland pulls out of Ireland fixtures Empty Re: Stephen Ireland pulls out of Ireland fixtures

Post by fcb Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:26 pm

lol!

WTF? Is he saying he's $h!t?
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:28 pm

It's yet another club > country debate.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:36 pm

S4P wrote:It's yet another club > country debate.

It's ridiculous though, he hasn't even played every game for Man. City, has he? And granted, they're in good form, but since when did Man. City become so big that their players feel the need to rest...what's he saving himself for, those midweek Ch. League fixtures? And if he's even half decent, it can't be hard to make a "positive contribution" for a mid-level team like Ireland.

Sounds like something seriously wrong in the background, doesn't like the manager maybe? Either way, he should never be called up again for refusing to play for such a flaky reason.
    Lard
    Lard

Number of posts : 3822
    Registration date : 2007-03-31

Post by Lard Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:44 pm

It's obviously to do with what happenend before. I don't think he is wanting a rest or choosing city over ireland.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:23 pm

Thing is, he's one of Ireland's better players. Thats not just my opinion, he was getting rave reviews when he first got into the team.
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:30 pm

Parks lives wrote:Thing is, he's one of Ireland's better players. Thats not just my opinion, he was getting rave reviews when he first got into the team.

It has nothing to do with football spank

It is totally about all the negative press surrounding what he did which he doesn't want to expose the squad to before the games

It's another terrible decision by him. the sooner he moves on the easier it will be for him
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:32 pm

I know its not entirely football related, I was responding to posts like this

kas wrote: And if he's even half decent

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:46 am