Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
robert
Machiavel
Cricky
Isar Truppe
Deluded F*ck™
Calidad
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!
Blue9
Red n' Black
Deano
L r d hAsta LueGo
debaser
Kimbo
Parks lives
Tweesus
Isco Benny
Kroos
Black Magic
22 posters

The World Champions or the World No.1 team?

Poll

The World Champions or the World No.1 team?

[ 13 ]
    The World Champions or the World No.1 team? - Page 2 Bar_left59%The World Champions or the World No.1 team? - Page 2 Bar_right [59%] 
    [ 9 ]
    The World Champions or the World No.1 team? - Page 2 Bar_left41%The World Champions or the World No.1 team? - Page 2 Bar_right [41%] 

Total Votes: 22
    Red n' Black
    Red n' Black

Number of posts : 1499
    Supports : AC Milan
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

The World Champions or the World No.1 team? - Page 2 Empty Re: The World Champions or the World No.1 team?

Post by Red n' Black Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:49 pm

Black Magic wrote:
    Red n' Black wrote:
    Black Magic wrote:
    Apologies for the line up, I just took a rough guess.

No worries dude, I've seen Italy play with the lineup you've listed anyway <Ale>

Yeah it was more of a Lippi line up. Which strikers do you think should go to Euro 08?

If I had to pick 5:
    Toni
    Iaquinta
    Di Natale
    Del Piero
    Amauri

I pretty much agree with your choices, maybe I'd take Cassano instead of ADP.
    Black Magic

Number of posts : 7514
    Registration date : 2007-10-14

The World Champions or the World No.1 team? - Page 2 Empty Re: The World Champions or the World No.1 team?

Post by Black Magic Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:02 pm

Red n' Black wrote:
    Black Magic wrote:
    Red n' Black wrote:
    Black Magic wrote:
    Apologies for the line up, I just took a rough guess.

No worries dude, I've seen Italy play with the lineup you've listed anyway <Ale>

Yeah it was more of a Lippi line up. Which strikers do you think should go to Euro 08?

If I had to pick 5:
    Toni
    Iaquinta
    Di Natale
    Del Piero
    Amauri

I pretty much agree with your choices, maybe I'd take Cassano instead of ADP.

Maybe it's the hatred I have for him, but I just don't rate him anymore. I'd rather take Quagliarella
    Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Deano Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:06 pm

Either way Deisler...you were ass kicked twice by Italia cheers
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:19 am

L r d wrote:Argentina are the best team in the world in qualifying campaigns and group stages of tournaments. When it really matters they turn into a very average side true story Ale

Except in 2002 when England dished out a 1-0 "ass whooping" Biggrin <Ale> :

Michael Owen = Argentina's WORST nightmare. If there is one player who has consistently proved himself against the Argies, its little Mickey O

True Story <Ale>
    Blue9

Number of posts : 40
    Registration date : 2007-12-22

Post by Blue9 Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:02 pm

In the last 15 years, of course Germany have been the better team than Spain, no one can objectively deny that. At the mo, however, I think Spain have more talented players, however if these two countries meet in the Euro, would expect Germany to win it... coz as a team, they perform better, specially in bigger championships.

However, at the mo, Italy, Argentina and Brazil are the top 3 IMO, more or less at par wih each other.

Toni Kroos wrote:
    Merry Krimbo wrote:
    Toni Kroos wrote:come on, what spanish player has influenced a spanish club side besides RAUL
    Guardiola, Luis Enrique, Puyol, Ramos, Villa, Valeron, Vicente, Cassilas, Xavi, Iniesta, Hierro, Mendieta, Nadal etc etc etc.

Plonker.

great a lot of names, but thats not good enough to be called greats

nobody missed xavi after his injury, is he a starter for barca now??

all this players nothing specizal in comparison to german counterparts, germany always had the better players and will always have

scholl >>>> lusi enrique
    lahm>>> ramos
    casillas == kahn
    nadal, poyuol <<< kohler,linke

valeron, guardiola <<< möller, effenberg, ballack,

oh jesus i could go on and on

Number of posts : 4759
    Supports : Italia and Milan
    Registration date : 2007-05-10

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:21 pm

Red n' Black wrote:
    Black Magic wrote:
    Strikers: Tough. Toni = Crespo and Tevez > Gilardino, so the Argies win out on that as well.

Don't think so. I'd take Toni over Crespo any day of the week, without even thinking about it. Also Gilardino isn't part of the squad nowadays, let alone the starting lineup. Italy(under Donadoni) play a 4-3-3, with Di Natale and Camoranesi supporting Toni upfront. And if Cassano maintains his form he will be starting instead of either Camo or ADN I think.

Anyway, in my opinion these teams are more or less on the same level.

I would say Crespo overall is a more complete striker than Toni. He has also been consistent for much longer, while Toni is a late bloomer.

Crespo>>Toni for me.

Number of posts : 4759
    Supports : Italia and Milan
    Registration date : 2007-05-10

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:25 pm

I can't believe I am saying this, but I have to agree with Toni Kroos. Spain are an overhyped bunch. Their players are talented, but ultimately not only chokers, but also short of world class. I am sorry, but the Spanish national team is one of the biggest frauds in football.

Great talented players have their day at least once. Time and time again Spain proves itself to be tactically naive and mentally frail. Also, they rarely dazzle with this supposed technical brilliance they have. Even the Netherlands, with all their mutiny, managed to win the Euros. Spain are just not up to snuff.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:43 pm

Black Magic wrote:Which is the better team - Italy or Argentina?

One has won the most recent Fifa World Cup, the other is 1st in the Fifa World rankings. So who are the better team?

Lets see the potential starting Line up of each team: (Italy and Argentina)

World Champions

-----------------------Buffon--------------------

Zambrotta---Cannavaro---Materazzi---Grosso*

----------------------Gattuso--------------------

------Camoranesi----Pirlo----Perrotta---------

----------------Toni--------Gilardino*-----------

*Oddo maybe at RB and Zambo switching to the left
    *Maybe Di Natali or Iaquinta ahead of Gilardino

World No.1

-------------Abbondanzieri------------

Zanetti---Ayala---Samuel*---Heinze

-------------Mascherano*-------------

Messi------Riquelme------M. Rodriguez*

-----------Crespo-------Tevez---------

* Milito instead
    * Cambiasso
    * Lucho Gonzalez

Defence: I think the defence is very tight. Italy just edge it I think with Materazzi in WC form.

Midfield: Argentina wins it hands down for me Apart from Maxi Rodriguez, they are all World Class players.

Strikers: Tough. Toni = Crespo and Tevez > Gilardino, so the Argies win out on that as well.

Depth:

Italy
    Aquilani
    Bonera
    Lucarelli
    Quagliarella
    Panucci
    Chiellini
    Barzagli
    Di Natale
    De Rossi
    Curci
    Ambrosini
    Amelia
    Iaquinta
    Oddo
    Zaccardo
    Del Piero
    Inzaghi

Argentina
    Demichelis
    Burdisso
    Cambiasso
    Sergio Aguero
    Gago
    Coloccini
    Ustari
    Sosa
    Ledesma
    Lucho González
    Diego Milito
    Gabriel Milito
    Javier Saviola
    Palacio
    Aimar
    Veron
    Julio Cruz
    Higuin

Argentina has more depth IMO, able to replace anyone in the starting Line up.

Form book: Italy finished first in their Euro 08 group, winning 9 of the 12 matches.

Argentina romped to the Final of the Copa America where they failed to show up against a young Brazil side. Currently second in the WC qualifications having lost just one match.

You've got the teams slightly wrong though. I don't think Giladino starts for Italy, and Crespo, Samuel, Zanetti & Tevez (at least recently) aren't starters eithers.

Both are ridiculously strong teams, though Argentina pip Italy (as they do pretty much everyside) in terms of the quality (on paper) they can field. They're only real weakness - albeit a significant one is thier full backs.
    Black Magic

Post by Black Magic Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:00 pm

Calidad wrote:
    Black Magic wrote:Which is the better team - Italy or Argentina?

One has won the most recent Fifa World Cup, the other is 1st in the Fifa World rankings. So who are the better team?

Lets see the potential starting Line up of each team: (Italy and Argentina)

World Champions

-----------------------Buffon--------------------

Zambrotta---Cannavaro---Materazzi---Grosso*

----------------------Gattuso--------------------

------Camoranesi----Pirlo----Perrotta---------

----------------Toni--------Gilardino*-----------

*Oddo maybe at RB and Zambo switching to the left
    *Maybe Di Natali or Iaquinta ahead of Gilardino

World No.1

-------------Abbondanzieri------------

Zanetti---Ayala---Samuel*---Heinze

-------------Mascherano*-------------

Messi------Riquelme------M. Rodriguez*

-----------Crespo-------Tevez---------

* Milito instead
    * Cambiasso
    * Lucho Gonzalez

Defence: I think the defence is very tight. Italy just edge it I think with Materazzi in WC form.

Midfield: Argentina wins it hands down for me Apart from Maxi Rodriguez, they are all World Class players.

Depth:

Italy
    Aquilani
    Bonera
    Lucarelli
    Quagliarella
    Panucci
    Chiellini
    Barzagli
    Di Natale
    De Rossi
    Curci
    Ambrosini
    Amelia
    Iaquinta
    Oddo
    Zaccardo
    Del Piero
    Inzaghi

Argentina
    Demichelis
    Burdisso
    Cambiasso
    Sergio Aguero
    Gago
    Coloccini
    Ustari
    Sosa
    Ledesma
    Lucho González
    Diego Milito
    Gabriel Milito
    Javier Saviola
    Palacio
    Aimar
    Veron
    Julio Cruz
    Higuin

Argentina has more depth IMO, able to replace anyone in the starting Line up.

Form book: Italy finished first in their Euro 08 group, winning 9 of the 12 matches.

Argentina romped to the Final of the Copa America where they failed to show up against a young Brazil side. Currently second in the WC qualifications having lost just one match.

You've got the teams slightly wrong though. I don't think Giladino starts for Italy, and Crespo, Samuel, Zanetti & Tevez (at least recently) aren't starters eithers.

Both are ridiculously strong teams, though Argentina pip Italy (as they do pretty much everyside) in terms of the quality (on paper) they can field. They're only real weakness - albeit a significant one is thier full backs.

The Italian team I picked was the Lippi World Cup team, thats why the likes of Grosso and Gilardino are still there - why wouldn't even take Gila to the Euros mate.

Crespo started at the Copa America, so did Zanetti and Tevez - All three were constantly in the starting 11. Samuel I wasn't sure about, thats why I put an astericks next to his name switching him with Milito.

Notice how I say "potential" starting line up? These things aren't set in stone. <Ale>
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:26 pm

Italy would do Argentina.
    Black Magic

Post by Black Magic Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:37 pm

Honourable C*nt™️ wrote:Italy would do Argentina.

If they got the tactics right. For example, De Rossi ahead Gattuso, Zambo on the left where he is more comfortable at funnily enough and the extremely underrated Oddo on the right. No Camoranesi, Play Maresca ahead of him, or ditch having a winger and put in Aquilani in a 3 man creative midfield. Two strong strikers who can hold up play while Perrotta, Aquilani and Pirlo move up. Basically this is what I'm getting at:

------------------Buffon-----------------

Oddo---Materazzi---Cannavaro---Zambrotta

-------------------De Rossi-----------------

-------------Pirlo-------------Aquilani------

--------------------Perrotta-------------------

-----------Iaquinta---------Toni----------

Some of the Italian fans will definately disagree with me.
    <Ale>
    Isar Truppe
    Isar Truppe

Number of posts : 430
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by Isar Truppe Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:17 pm

If Italy were to play Argentina today, I would have my money on Argentina to win.

The comparison of Germany and Spain is stupid. Spain have a lot of talented individuals, but they remain individuals. Maybe they need a foreign coach to get them playing as a unit?

Deisler/Toni Kroos...please shut up, you are embarassing your country with stupidity/un-funny comments. If you are going to debate about things, then make sure you have a foundation for your argument.
    Kroos
    Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
    Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
    Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan

Post by Kroos Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:25 pm

thats all reality
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:30 pm

Isar Truppe wrote:If Italy were to play Argentina today, I would have my money on Argentina to win.

The comparison of Germany and Spain is stupid. Spain have a lot of talented individuals, but they remain individuals. Maybe they need a foreign coach to get them playing as a unit?

Deisler/Toni Kroos...please shut up, you are embarassing your country with stupidity/un-funny comments. If you are going to debate about things, then make sure you have a foundation for your argument.

Spain was a country undergoing a Civil War less than a century ago. It is massively club centric, and always has been.

Madrid/Barcelona/Bilbao for example represent a whole lot more to individuals from the regions of Spain than the national team.

It seems quite clear to me this is a cultural thing- Spanish players are more comfortable playing at club level than they are on the international stage.

I totally agree that its not comparable to Germany and the German culture- which has long been a nation proud of its identity on the international stage after the turmoil of the last century. Club football is big, but international football is bigger- German clubs do not match the success of the Mannschaft historically, even Bayern seems to have acted over history as a feeder platform for the national team, providing the best players, often large handfuls at a time.

Talent wise, Spanish players are as good as any; if one day the team decides to fulfill its potential, we're all in big trouble <Ale>
    Isar Truppe
    Isar Truppe

Post by Isar Truppe Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:44 pm

The questions regarding talent are also somewhat flawed. There are around 6 or 7 international sides with an abundance of talent in their current A squads and also in their youth teams. The transition from potential quality to proven quality is huge.

Many have failed to make that transition at international stage (Gerrard, Raul etc...). Spain have a host of talented individuals, as do Germany. Difference is not cultural, but rather practical. The German set up is totally different to the Spanish one. The national team and the top clubs are run in much the same way in terms of structure and training methods. The same applies in Italy. However, when you look at Spain and England for example, then you see that there is a colossal gap between the running of club and country. I do believe that the Spanish overhaul would be much easier than the English one, as the Spanish FA is not dedicated to financial gain.
    Black Magic

Post by Black Magic Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:49 pm

Spain have WAY more talent and depth. Sweini gets injured who comes in? Odonkor? When Vicente gets injured Silva steps in. Not a huge gap, but nonetheless a gap <Ale>
    Isar Truppe
    Isar Truppe

Post by Isar Truppe Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:00 pm

Black Magic wrote:Spain have WAY more talent and depth. Sweini gets injured who comes in? Odonkor? When Vicente gets injured Silva steps in. Not a huge gap, but nonetheless a gap <Ale>

I hope you're not one of those people who has a go at toni kroos/deisler, not when you are trying to convince with arguments like that.

When you say "WAY" more talent and depth, then provide a half example, I'm not really convinced. Neither Vicente or Silva have shown me enough of what they can do in a Spanish kit. That would be like me asking who would step in for Torres or Villa up front for Spain, when Germany have a host of proven international scorers.

Spain have talented players who have produced nothing worthy of their club talents on the international stage. This is a fact. You can't hide behind the words "prospect" or "potential" forever. Some day you just have to step up!
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:07 pm

If the Germans are saying Argentina are better and would beat Italy, then Argentina would beat Germany for sure.
    Cricky

Number of posts : 161
    Registration date : 2007-10-26

Post by Cricky Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:07 pm

If Schweini got injured I would expect either Borowski or Hitzlsperger to take his place. Maybe even push Schneider to the left and play Fritz on the right.

Germany has a huge amount of depth they were missing 12 players when they beat England in Wembley. The full German team has not played together for months now and to tell the truth it is hard to say just how strong the germans are because of it.
    Isar Truppe
    Isar Truppe

Post by Isar Truppe Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:11 pm

Scott Parker wrote:If the Germans are saying Argentina are better and would beat Italy, then Argentina would beat Germany for sure.

Based on what logic?
    Black Magic

Post by Black Magic Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:11 pm

Isar Truppe wrote:
    Black Magic wrote:Spain have WAY more talent and depth. Sweini gets injured who comes in? Odonkor? When Vicente gets injured Silva steps in. Not a huge gap, but nonetheless a gap <Ale>

I hope you're not one of those people who has a go at toni kroos/deisler, not when you are trying to convince with arguments like that.

When you say "WAY" more talent and depth, then provide a half example, I'm not really convinced. Neither Vicente or Silva have shown me enough of what they can do in a Spanish kit. That would be like me asking who would step in for Torres or Villa up front for Spain, when Germany have a host of proven international scorers.

Spain have talented players who have produced nothing worthy of their club talents on the international stage. This is a fact. You can't hide behind the words "prospect" or "potential" forever. Some day you just have to step up!

Nope, never.

Look, it's obvious that the Spanish are better equipped to handle player getting injured in all the positions bar the Striking role.

Spain have talented players who have produced nothing worthy of their club talents on the international stage. This is a fact. You can't hide behind the words "prospect" or "potential" forever. Some day you just have to step up

Have Germany got the better team? Yes, like you say the Spanish don't even come close to fulfilling their potential, but when the do watch out!

What I'm saying is that Spain has more depth and a longer line of potentially more talented (yes, I said it again) players in almost all the positions. You can't deny that. And if they do one day manage to take the club performances to an International stage they will be the best team in Europe without a doubt. Until that happens though, they will remain pale shadows of the Mannschaft (sp?) who are currently better than the Spanish in almost every department.

<Ale>
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:14 pm

Isar Truppe wrote:
    Scott Parker wrote:If the Germans are saying Argentina are better and would beat Italy, then Argentina would beat Germany for sure.

Based on what logic?

That you aren't as good as Italy...that simple.

This is why our last two results against you was a 4-1 win and a 0-2 win...normal service against Germany tbh...
    Isar Truppe
    Isar Truppe

Post by Isar Truppe Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:25 pm

Black Magic wrote:What I'm saying is that Spain has more depth and a longer line of potentially more talented (yes, I said it again) players in almost all the positions. You can't deny that. And if they do one day manage to take the club performances to an International stage they will be the best team in Europe without a doubt. Until that happens though, they will remain pale shadows of the Mannschaft (sp?) who are currently better than the Spanish in almost every department.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts....oh I can't remember the saying. IF Spain get their act together, IF I win the lottery, IF Natalie Portman likes anal...we can all speculate on what may or may not happen, but for the moment we can only deal in reality.

Scott parker = absurd logic. i'm not even going to dignify that with an explanation.
    Black Magic

Post by Black Magic Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:28 pm

Isar Truppe wrote:
    Black Magic wrote:What I'm saying is that Spain has more depth and a longer line of potentially more talented (yes, I said it again) players in almost all the positions. You can't deny that. And if they do one day manage to take the club performances to an International stage they will be the best team in Europe without a doubt. Until that happens though, they will remain pale shadows of the Mannschaft (sp?) who are currently better than the Spanish in almost every department.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts....oh I can't remember the saying. IF Spain get their act together, IF I win the lottery, IF Natalie Portman likes anal...we can all speculate on what may or may not happen, but for the moment we can only deal in reality.

And the reality is Germany have the better team where as Spain have more depth and Talent. <Ale>
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:22 pm

Well Spain's current generation should all be at their peak come Euro 2008 and even WC 2010.

Iniesta, Villa, Xavi, Cesc, Silva, Joaquin, Vicente, Torres etc - Iniesta has been absolutely fantastic for Spain since his arrival, while Villa's scoring record for Spain, is probably as strong if not stronger than his German counterparts. Silva is only 21, so it's unfair to marginalise him as a 'non-performer' for his country, since it has only been recently that he's established himself as a regular.

In midfield (including the wings) Spain do have a wealth of talent - I mean how many international sides can field 4 top class left wingers? Spain could. Likewise on the right, they're not far off either; and we all know about their strength in central midfield.
    Cricky

Number of posts : 161
    Registration date : 2007-10-26

Post by Cricky Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:46 pm

Of spains wingers not one is better than Schneider, yes he is not the youngest anymore but which Spanish winger is better than him???

If Joaquin counts as a top winger than so does Fritz. A guy has a good season a few years ago at Betis and he is class for the rest of his life.

In CM Germany can also match Spain: Frings, Ballack, Kehl, Hitzlsperger and Rolfes are all fighting for two places in the team.

I really dont know why everyone seems to think germany has no depth, maybe you should watch more Bundesliga games.
    Kroos
    Kroos

Post by Kroos Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:55 pm

i like you cricky

german has at least 2 sides, they would beat spain and england anytime

----------lehmann

lahm-metzelder-mertesacker-jansen

--------frings----ballack

schneider-------schweinsteiger

-------klose----podolski

--------enke/hildebrand

fritz-friedrich-friedrich-pander

----kehl-----hitzelsberger

hilbert -------borowski

------gomez--kuranyi

there are still

trochowski
    rolfes

for the midfield,

Last edited by on Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Machiavel Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:03 pm

Iniesta > Ballack , I'm sorry.
    Kroos
    Kroos

Post by Kroos Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:09 pm

johan il quattordici wrote:Iniesta > Ballack , I'm sorry.

in your dreams
    robert
    robert

Number of posts : 5672
    Supports : Manchester United
    Favourite Player : Giggs
    Registration date : 2006-08-14

Post by robert Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:18 pm

Ignoring the German bullshit in this thread, going to the original question in a high pressure match Italy would twat Argentina time and time again. Argentina surely now are getting up there with New Zealand Rugby in terms of choking.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:31 pm