Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Tom
Football Genius
bluenine
Chocolate Thunder
UK_Andy
Kimbo
Glenarch of the Glen
debaser
fcb
13 posters

World Cup spot for a "Rest of the World" team?

fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

World Cup spot for a "Rest of the World" team? Empty World Cup spot for a "Rest of the World" team?

Post by fcb Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:36 pm

Saw this idea in the F365 mailbox and thought it was interesting:

As everyone knows, the likes of George Best, Ryan Giggs, Ian Rush and Mark Hughes (to name only 4) never played in a World Cup. If matches go a certain way tonight, the next tournament could be without Messi and Ronaldo - in whichever order you choose, unarguably the two best players in the world right now.

The World Cup should contain all of the best players in the world, so why not make space for a "Rest of the World" squad? FIFA could select the coach and he could then pick players from any nation that didn't qualify. I'm sure that the players would like the opportunity to play and the RotW team would give everyone at least one team to support.

Of course, this would mean one less place for qualification, but is the tournament really better with the likes of, say, Slovenia (apologies to any Slovenes reading) rather than Messi?

Philip Lewis

So, in another variation on the "Best XI not at Tournament X" theme, what would be your world 11 of players from countries that haven't qualified?

Let's assume that all the favourites and/or current group leaders make it through, whether directly or through the playoffs. So your team can't include players from the list below:

Japan
    Australia
    South Korea
    North Korea
    Bahrain/NZ (too close to call since 1st leg of their playoff was 0-0)

Netherlands
    England
    Spain
    Germany
    Denmark
    Serbia
    Italy
    Portugal
    France
    Russia
    Greece
    Switzerland
    Slovakia

Paraguay
    Brazil
    Chile
    Argentina
    Uruguay

Mexico
    USA
    Costa Rica

South Africa
    Ghana
    Ivory Coast
    Tunisia
    Algeria
    Cameroon
    fcb
    fcb

World Cup spot for a "Rest of the World" team? Empty Re: World Cup spot for a "Rest of the World" team?

Post by fcb Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:47 pm

Some "good" teams that didn't qualify, whose players you may want to consider:

Sweden
    Czech Republic
    Wales
    Bosnia
    Turkey
    Belgium
    Croatia
    Ireland
    Ukraine
    Norway

Ecuador
    Venezuela
    Colombia
    Bolivia
    Peru
    (yes, that's all 5 South American teams that didn't make it...according to Puro they should all be there Wink )

Honduras (so that Spider Crouch can pick Palacios)

Mali
    Nigeria
    Egypt
    fcb
    fcb

World Cup spot for a "Rest of the World" team? Empty Re: World Cup spot for a "Rest of the World" team?

Post by fcb Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:49 pm

A "top of the head" effort for my team:

Cech
    Kompany-Vargas-Dunne (can't think of any defenders Razz )
    Misimovic-Kallstrom-Modric-Palacios-Keita
    Dzeko-Ibrahimovic

Manager: Alex Ferguson (Scotland)
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:59 pm

Cech
    Beye-Chivu-Hangeland-Vargas
    Srna-Palacios-Mikel-Modric
    Ibrahimovic-Adebayor

Carew will be first sub Smile

Probably forgotten a whole bunch...
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:11 pm

Lists cheers
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:40 pm

I see people are still clinging onto Cechs reputation as a great keeper. Amazing what playing for the right club can do for you. <Ale>
    UK_Andy

Number of posts : 255
    Registration date : 2009-09-02

Post by UK_Andy Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:46 pm

They'd be crap, they'd have hardly ever played/trained together before and would all speak different languages.

TV companies would love it though.
    Chocolate Thunder
    Chocolate Thunder

Number of posts : 15804
    Supports : Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool
    Registration date : 2007-01-06

Post by Chocolate Thunder Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:21 pm

Given

Srna
    Kompany
    Van Buyten
    El Loco Vargas

Palacios
    Fellaini
    Misimovi?
    Arda Turan

Ade

Vermaelen, Dunne(very underrated here though last season he was shite along with the entire City defence, always brilliant for Eire), Hangeland, Memhet Aurelio, Nihat, Modric, Tymoschuk, Valencia, Benetiz and Keane are some I also considered.

Struggled for keepers also.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti

Post by bluenine Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:41 pm

Cech
    Zuniga-Chivu-Cordoba-Vargas
    Aboutrika-Misimovic-Mikel-Modric
    Ibrahimovic-Mutu

Some others: Zapata, Vermaelen, Van Buyten, Palacios, Kieta, Kallstrom, Srna, Rocisky, Petrov, Adebayor, Jovetic, Dzeko, Berbatov
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Number of posts : 7743
    Supports : Liverpool
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Football Genius Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:42 pm

Mutu over Adebayor?

Not for me Ale
    Tom
    Tom

Number of posts : 12185
    Supports : Chelsea

Post by Tom Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:10 pm

Or anyone who watches Adebayor.

Adebayor over Mutu every day of the week.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:13 pm

Modric . Palacios

Sppppppppppppppppppppppppurs Ale
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:14 pm

Spider Crouch wrote:Modric . Palacios

Sppppppppppppppppppppppppurs World Cup spot for a "Rest of the World" team? F_ale2

Yep. Your two best players ain't good enough to qualify (and the other one is too injured to make the squad).

Spppppppppppppppppppppurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs Ale
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:51 pm

Ballack wrote:Or anyone who watches Adebayor.

Depends which kind of a striker you prefer... Ibra, Mutu, Dzeko & Adebayor are all great strikers in their own way, the first two have more skill/fantasy, while the latter two are better finishers. Its a hypothetical squad anyways, and I prefer strikers who provide a bit of fantasy/unpredictability... Ibra+Mutu would be an interesting mix! Maybe not the most effective, but really good to watch...
    L r dd

Number of posts : 12451
    Registration date : 2008-12-22

Post by L r dd Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:53 pm

bluenine wrote:

Depends which kind of a striker you prefer... Ibra, Mutu, Dzeko & Adebayor are all great strikers in their own way, the first two have more skill/fantasy, while the latter two are better finishers. Its a hypothetical squad anyways, and I prefer strikers who provide a bit of fantasy/unpredictability... Ibra+Mutu would be an interesting mix! Maybe not the most effective, but really good to watch...

I'm sorry but im not sure how much of Adebayor you see, but that's a very bizarre description of him mate. He's very unpredictable and skillful however is finishing can be suspect indeed.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:55 pm

L r dd wrote:
    bluenine wrote:

I'm sorry but im not sure how much of Adebayor you see, but that's a very bizarre description of him mate. He's very unpredictable and skillful however is finishing can be suspect indeed.

I see more of Adebayor than Mutu unfortunately.... But to suggest that Adebayor has more fantasy than Ibra or Mutu is just craziness...
    Tom
    Tom

Number of posts : 12185
    Supports : Chelsea

Post by Tom Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:05 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AhgxLnb_20
    L r dd

Number of posts : 12451
    Registration date : 2008-12-22

Post by L r dd Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:11 pm

bluenine wrote:
    L r dd wrote:
    bluenine wrote:

I see more of Adebayor than Mutu unfortunately.... But to suggest that Adebayor has more fantasy than Ibra or Mutu is just craziness...

I didn't suggest such a thing bluenine, i just was surprised at your analysis of Adebayor. I have no comment to make on Ibrah or Mutu. Though from what i have seen of Mutu in the past, im not convinced he's going to produce something fantasy wise more than Adebayor in the slightest.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:38 pm

L r dd wrote:
    bluenine wrote:
    L r dd wrote:
    bluenine wrote:

I didn't suggest such a thing bluenine, i just was surprised at your analysis of Adebayor. I have no comment to make on Ibrah or Mutu. Though from what i have seen of Mutu in the past, im not convinced he's going to produce something fantasy wise more than Adebayor in the slightest.
    well, you said it now, didn't ya World Cup spot for a "Rest of the World" team? Icon_razz
    fenerliyim

Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2008-10-23

Post by fenerliyim Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:40 pm

Arda, Volkan Demirel, Emre, Hamit and Semih(Super Sub)
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Pierre Littbarski Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:26 pm

In terms of skill/fantasy:

Ibra
    Adebayor
    Mutu

...and I'm not someone who doesn't rate mutu.

Overall Adebayor will be by far the best player not going to the World Cup let alone best CF.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 4:39 pm