Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+40
Protheus
Rasiak-9
Football Genius
Ricardo Jol
Rosicky
L.r.d
Bashmachkin
debaser
Super Progress
Hem fet un mal partit
Parks lives
Black Magic
Kroos
DeLux
Historicus
bluenine
BoBo Vieri 32
anglophileHedgehog
Sheffield gunner
Enigma
Fey
Chocolate Thunder
The Pröfessör
Torrente
Glenarch of the Glen
blutgraetsche
EM Seleção e Selecção
SuperMario
Kimbo
Hlebagone
COTR
72-76-80-96-08
Khadrim
Machiavel
Sgoater1
Calidad
Dwarf
DD
Axeslammer
fcb
44 posters

Day 4 - 10/6: Spain v. Russia and Greece v. Sweden

fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Day 4 - 10/6: Spain v. Russia and Greece v. Sweden Empty Day 4 - 10/6: Spain v. Russia and Greece v. Sweden

Post by fcb Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:03 am

The last group gets underway today. Spain-Russia could be a very intriguing match...the way I see it, the match is set up perfectly because the two teams play opposite styles. Spain likes to keep the ball and pass it through the midfield a lot, whereas Russia will be happy to sit back and hit Spain on the counter.

Meanwhile, I think Greece should be able to beat a Sweden side who are not the same as in recent years. Good article about Rehaggel:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=AqB2LC108km2ltZTKm6HAk0mw7YF?slug=ro-greece061008&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Day 4 - 10/6: Spain v. Russia and Greece v. Sweden Empty Re: Day 4 - 10/6: Spain v. Russia and Greece v. Sweden

Post by Axeslammer Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:05 am

I expect a lot from the Spain - Russia match, although I wouldn't want to predict the winner...
    DD
    DD

Number of posts : 10721
    Supports : NEC
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Day 4 - 10/6: Spain v. Russia and Greece v. Sweden Empty Re: Day 4 - 10/6: Spain v. Russia and Greece v. Sweden

Post by DD Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:42 am

As long as one of the two games (probably and preferably Spain-Russia) won't be a borefest like France-Romania. Sleep
    Dwarf

Number of posts : 7502
    Supports : Operation Puerto
    Favourite Player : Dr. Eufemiano Fuentes
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Dwarf Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:49 am

Two dull defensive games would suit me fine. The actual tournament can begin tomorrow.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC

Post by Calidad Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:48 pm

I want Spain-Russia to be an exciting match (with Spain winning), but I also have Ramos and Akinfeev in my team, so I wouldn't mind a 0-0 either <Ale>

Andres MOTM

Will be interesting to see how Ibra plays today as well. I have a feeling Sweden are going to be devoid of any creativity
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Sgoater1 Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:41 pm

Russia are a massive 9/2 just to in tonight ! and Pav first goal scorer 1-1 is 40/1. The bokies seem to think it will be an easy win for Spain. Dont get me wrong i think they have a great team and could win it but i think Russia wil do very well despite Arshavin and Pog being out.
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder

Post by Machiavel Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:51 pm

Losing Pogrebnyak is such a blow given his recent exploits at club level and an overall threat, Arshavin likewise; UEFA must reconsider these suspension rules. Of course we must look at Pavlyuchenko as the one to cause the Spaniards problems but the likes of Zhirkov, Zyrianov & Sychev could pose some problems. Spain on paper should have enough to win the game, but we know the surprises of tournament football.
    Khadrim
    Khadrim

Number of posts : 1719
    Supports : Fulham soft spot for Liverpool, Newcastle, Wolfsburg, Rubin Kazan
    Favourite Player : Paintsil, Barry, Iniesta, Ozil
    Registration date : 2007-03-27

Post by Khadrim Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:52 pm

I don't think Russia will miss Arshavin that much as they have similar players in Bilyaletdinov, Semak, Sychev, etc. I think they will miss Pogrebnyak as he is more direct than Pavlyuchenko. The key player is Zyrianov though as he is the link between defense and attack.
    I would worry about the defense though as it can be bullied.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:06 pm

Khadrim wrote:I don't think Russia will miss Arshavin that much as they have similar players in Bilyaletdinov, Semak, Sychev, etc. I think they will miss Pogrebnyak as he is more direct than Pavlyuchenko. The key player is Zyrianov though as he is the link between defense and attack.

Yeah Zyryanov will be key along with Semshov, they have got to protect the back 3. Russia work as a unit and i think Spain will find them hard to break down, the lack of wingers in the Spanish team will help the Russian's imo.
    72-76-80-96-08
    72-76-80-96-08

Number of posts : 2258
    Supports : FC Hollywood
    Registration date : 2006-08-22

Post by 72-76-80-96-08 Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:08 pm

come on, Greece

make Otto proud

you owe him big

Ale
    Calidad
    Calidad

Post by Calidad Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:09 pm

How good are Russia defensively?
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:12 pm

Calidad wrote:How good are Russia defensively?

Put it this way, if spain play anywhere close to their potential it will be a pretty comfortable win

If they play as many of us are expecting (ie how they usually play Wink ) they will make russia look better defensively than they are
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Number of posts : 6086
    Registration date : 2007-03-17

Post by Hlebagone Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:14 pm

Khadrim wrote:I don't think Russia will miss Arshavin that much as they have similar players in Bilyaletdinov, Semak, Sychev, etc. I think they will miss Pogrebnyak as he is more direct than Pavlyuchenko. The key player is Zyrianov though as he is the link between defense and attack.

For what it's worth, Pavlyuchenko did look in excellent form recently. he scored a brilliant goal against Lithuania.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:16 pm

Calidad wrote:How good are Russia defensively?

Well Akinfeev is a top class keeper who i wouldnt be surprised to see at Arsenal or another top class team in the future if CSKA decide to sell.

At the back will be the Berezutski twins and Ingashevich, they arent renound for their agility but its a pretty solid defence, they are strong and physical, plus they all play for CSKA so they know eachoter really well.

A big big plus for Russia is that their season is only something like 10 games in to a new season so most of the players will be very very fresh.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Post by Calidad Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:18 pm

cheers guys

I might keep Akinfeev as my keeper for the entire group stages then. Spain probably will score today, but I reckon Russia might be able to get 2 clean sheets in the other two games
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:19 pm

I'm not expecting much today. The afternoon games are always dour, and the other game has Greece in it.
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Post by Machiavel Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:19 pm

Russia could be playing with a Libero, you don’t see this these days.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:19 pm

I dont think its that bad mate, they are pretty strong, all over 6ft and wont be intimidated.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:21 pm

Calidad wrote:cheers guys

I might keep Akinfeev as my keeper for the entire group stages then. Spain probably will score today, but I reckon Russia might be able to get 2 clean sheets in the other two games

IMO i think they might conceed tonight and might conceed 1 against Sweden...but win 2-1, i expect a clean sheet against Greece. But thats just my prediction.
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:22 pm

Kimbo wrote:I'm not expecting much today. The afternoon games are always dour, and the other game has Greece in it.

Greece are more attractive to watch than Sweden imo. I'm not even gonna bother watching that one

Spain game has some potential but on the other hand it could just involve xavi, iniesta and senna/cesc passing the ball about the midfield the whole match while russia park the bus
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:22 pm

Russia have to be careful on setpieces...Ramos is excellent in the air and Capdevila always causes havoc.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Post by Calidad Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:23 pm

Sgoater1 wrote:
    Calidad wrote:cheers guys

IMO i think they might conceed tonight and might conceed 1 against Sweden...but win 2-1, i expect a clean sheet against Greece. But thats just my prediction.

yea that's a good tip. I'm going to watch Sweden tonight for that reason. See how they do

Last edited by Calidad on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:23 pm

very true, he's an out and out striker & I rate Pogrebniak very high, but he's most useful in or around the box, for which you need to dominate your opponent. Pavlyuchenko on the other hand is better for counterattacking, which they can do very well anyway. Don't know about his shape, but if he's on song he's classy too. He used to be picked over Pogrebniak anyway.
    EM Seleção e Selecção
    EM Seleção e Selecção

Number of posts : 2495
    Supports : Portugal Brasil Africa
    Favourite Player : Ronaldo Zidane Dinho Figo CR Robinho Neymar Hazard
    Registration date : 2007-11-22

Post by EM Seleção e Selecção Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:26 pm

Russia/Greece to win,But saying that I really don't care who goes through in this group as long as it isn't Spain!
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:29 pm

Russia now out to 11/2 to win and its 5/2 a draw, the bookies love Spain.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Post by Calidad Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:30 pm

It's probably because they're English bookies, and Spain have Torres + Fabregas
    Khadrim
    Khadrim

Number of posts : 1719
    Supports : Fulham soft spot for Liverpool, Newcastle, Wolfsburg, Rubin Kazan
    Favourite Player : Paintsil, Barry, Iniesta, Ozil
    Registration date : 2007-03-27

Post by Khadrim Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:30 pm

Sgoater1 wrote:

I dont think its that bad mate, they are pretty strong, all over 6ft and wont be intimidated.

Except the Berezutsky's have been by Heskey, Rooney and others. For a giant 6ft defensive line-up they are wimps. However Hiddink has introduced Kolodin and Shirokov and hopefully will start with them. Shirokov in particular did well against Toni for Zenit so hopefully will do well.

In the friendlies Russia were doing all the attacking. And whilst they can do this I think they would be better to play a counter attacking game against the Spanish. The one thing they have in abundance is pace.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:39 pm

Khadrim wrote:
    Sgoater1 wrote:

Except the Berezutsky's have been by Heskey, Rooney and others. For a giant 6ft defensive line-up they are wimps. However Hiddink has introduced Kolodin and Shirokov and hopefully will start with them. Shirokov in particular did well against Toni for Zenit so hopefully will do well.

In the friendlies Russia were doing all the attacking. And whilst they can do this I think they would be better to play a counter attacking game against the Spanish. The one thing they have in abundance is pace.

Yeah they did well but i dont know if they will start with them, id like to see Shirokov play after a brilliant season for Zenit, but he only has something like 4/5 caps and i dont knw if Hiddink will give him a start in such a massive game, i think he might go for experiance.

Yeah lots of pace, Bystrov is incredible and will be a big test for Capdevila.

I think this will be a tight game and the Russians might sneak it or get a draw.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:48 pm

Other than the 2 games vs England they only conceeded 3 goals in the other 10 games - the 3 coming against Israel. 8 clean sheets is pretty impressive.
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Post by Machiavel Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:50 pm

Lothar Matthaus predicts: Spain 2-1 Russia

"With goal machine Fernando Torres, Spain are my secret favourite and the Spanish league is really strong. With Arsenal's Francesc Fabregas in the midfield, Torres virtually guaranteeing goals for Liverpool and outstanding players featuring in their own country, Spain really have a chance to go far.

"Russia with Guus Hiddink are certainly better educated tactically now than in the past. The club success of Zenit St.Petersburg also adds something positive for them. Nevertheless, the Russian team isn't strong enough to face up to Spain and therefore the Iberians will get the opening win."

Lothar Matthaus predicts: Greece 1-1 Sweden

"Greece won't be the same as they were four years ago, they won't get to the final. The team, a credit to manager Otto Rehhagel, managed to qualify top of their group, a really easy group though.

"However, they did lose during their preparations in a friendly against Hungary.

"The Swedes will provide awkward opposition, as they are a physically strong team. That won't suit Greece, especially on set pieces, one of their strengths. Sweden have a player in Ibrahimovic who can make the difference at the top level.

"Nevertheless, Greece will manage a draw in the beginning against a Sweden side that is man for man stronger than the defending champions."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 4:36 pm