Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+28
forza_rossi
Rosicky
Luis
DeLux
S4P
Sgoater1
Brian2468
Protheus
BoBo Vieri 32
Parks lives
robert
Rasiak-9
COTR
L.r.d
Z&H
Hlebagone
Chocolate Thunder
Calidad
Ricardo Jol
SuperMario
debaser
Fey
Dwarf
wassberg
Pierre Littbarski
Bashmachkin
Khadrim
fcb
32 posters

Day 8: Sweden-Spain and Greece-Russia

fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Day 8: Sweden-Spain and Greece-Russia Empty Day 8: Sweden-Spain and Greece-Russia

Post by fcb Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:12 pm

2nd round of games for Group D, let's hope they're as good as yesterday's games.
    Khadrim
    Khadrim

Number of posts : 1719
    Supports : Fulham soft spot for Liverpool, Newcastle, Wolfsburg, Rubin Kazan
    Favourite Player : Paintsil, Barry, Iniesta, Ozil
    Registration date : 2007-03-27

Day 8: Sweden-Spain and Greece-Russia Empty Re: Day 8: Sweden-Spain and Greece-Russia

Post by Khadrim Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:15 pm

How will Sweden play. Defensive or will they go for it. I think Spain will win this but will have a scare at some point.

They already met in qualifying. Victory each at home but the latter game in Spain is more telling I think.
    Bashmachkin
    Bashmachkin

Number of posts : 2374
    Registration date : 2007-02-09

Day 8: Sweden-Spain and Greece-Russia Empty Re: Day 8: Sweden-Spain and Greece-Russia

Post by Bashmachkin Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:38 pm

I'm sure that Sweden will play a cautious game - it is Lagerback's style, and he has said that they 'will have to be patient'. Again, I think their hopes rest on Ibrahimovic - I think if they're to win the game, they'll need something from him - Larsson isn't the type who will drag a game by the scruff of its neck, and they don't have a hugely attacking midfield.

Wilhelmsson is obviously out, and Seb Larsson will probably replace him on the right of midfield. Wilhelmsson and Ljungberg swapped wings a lot in the last game - maybe Larsson will swap wings less frequently. I guess the other option is to play Kallstrom on the left, but I don't see it. Linderoth is still a doubt, so the centre of midfield will probably stay the same. Alexandersson, who played at right back against Greece, is out - Nilsson will switch to right back and Stoor will play at left, and whilst Stoor has few caps, it shouldn't affect the team much.

I think Spain will win the game, and I'm hoping that Russia do Greece by a number of goals. That would leave things nicely set up for the last game, for Russia/Sweden.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Pierre Littbarski Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:43 pm

Bashmachkin wrote:I'm sure that Sweden will play a cautious game - it is Lagerback's style, and he has said that they 'will have to be patient'. Again, I think their hopes rest on Ibrahimovic - I think if they're to win the game, they'll need something from him - Larsson isn't the type who will drag a game by the scruff of its neck, and they don't have a hugely attacking midfield.

Wilhelmsson is obviously out, and Seb Larsson will probably replace him on the right of midfield. Wilhelmsson and Ljungberg swapped wings a lot in the last game - maybe Larsson will swap wings less frequently. I guess the other option is to play Kallstrom on the left, but I don't see it. Linderoth is still a doubt, so the centre of midfield will probably stay the same. Alexandersson, who played at right back against Greece, is out - Nilsson will switch to right back and Stoor will play at left, and whilst Stoor has few caps, it shouldn't affect the team much.

I think Spain will win the game, and I'm hoping that Russia do Greece by a number of goals. That would leave things nicely set up for the last game, for Russia/Sweden.

A draw between Sweden and Spain and a Greece win.

If Svensson can get his set-piece deliveries right they can hurt spain.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:48 pm

In the other thread the board's resident Swedish poster said Elmander will start at RM.
    wassberg
    wassberg

Number of posts : 139
    Supports : AC Milan
    Favourite Player : Ibra, Inzaghi, Dzagoev

Post by wassberg Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:57 pm

Sweden will play with Elmander on the right wing, so Sweden will have 3 capable strikers in a potent attack. Sweden will want to gamble and go for a win, since drawing or loosing with a couple of goals does not make a difference (unless Russia beats Greece with more than 2 goals.) Therefore expect a Swedish team intent on attack (particularly on the break). Also, one should recall that MoZart is now playing on "home ground"...Will he play his magic flute today?
    Dwarf

Number of posts : 7502
    Supports : Operation Puerto
    Favourite Player : Dr. Eufemiano Fuentes
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Dwarf Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:59 pm

D for drab dire dull draws please.
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:07 pm

Amazing..I think all the Swedish have played in Holland at some point in their career Laughing

They adept so well here, same with the Danish.

Good people though! Lovely country!
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:19 pm

Fey wrote:Amazing..I think all the Swedish have played in Holland at some point in their career Laughing

Did you have the honour of Olof in your league? I thought he only played in Sweden and Spain?
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:22 pm

debaser wrote:
    Fey wrote:Amazing..I think all the Swedish have played in Holland at some point in their career Laughing

Did you have the honour of Olof in your league? I thought he only played in Sweden and Spain?

Mellberg? No dont think so, great guy though!

Anyway, a lot of them have played here...
    Bashmachkin
    Bashmachkin

Number of posts : 2374
    Registration date : 2007-02-09

Post by Bashmachkin Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:23 pm

I haven't seen any newspapers today - is it fact that Elmander will play on the right ahead of Larsson, or is it more the expected line-up? Elmander would be a bit more attacking, though I still expect Sweden to sit. Lagerback has said that Sweden will need to push forward and take chances and try to make the most of things when they do have the ball, but at the same time they will be cautious, and I'm sure they will let Spain come at them.

I'm hoping Pavlyuchenko is fit for today - he has been training the last few days, and their other target man, Adamov, I don't know much about, he only has a handful of caps.
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:29 pm

Elmander can play wide very well (scored a great goal for Feyenoord v Bayern in the CL coming from the left wing with a stuuning run; never properly struck a ball thereafter for us; had some mental problems: fear of failure; glad he sorted that out). His pace will be useful for counterattacks too.

2 Feyenoorders in Sweden's attack! Ale
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
    Supports : FC Den Haag!
    Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:44 pm

Is sweden trying to go on the attack against Spain....? I mean, to finish 2nd in this group means you are OUT 110% for sure.....

or at least the countries believe that at this moment
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:48 pm

Isn't Kallstrom a regular for Lyon? I'm amazed he doesn't get in the Sweden side
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:58 pm

RicardoJol wrote:Is sweden trying to go on the attack against Spain....? I mean, to finish 2nd in this group means you are OUT 110% for sure.....

or at least the countries believe that at this moment
    Could be a defensive move (playing 3 strikers) to make sure the Spanish fullbacks can't go forward that easily.
    Don't think they'll attack, would be suicidal, an end to end open match would result in sweden getting trashed. Think they aim for swift counterattacks. Still a very positive line-up by the accountant.
    Chocolate Thunder
    Chocolate Thunder

Number of posts : 15804
    Supports : Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool
    Registration date : 2007-01-06

Post by Chocolate Thunder Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:46 pm

Calidad wrote:Isn't Kallstrom a regular for Lyon? I'm amazed he doesn't get in the Sweden side

Not sure but your right it is amazing he doesn't get into the national side espically when you have some average players starting in his position.
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Number of posts : 6086
    Registration date : 2007-03-17

Post by Hlebagone Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:49 pm

Ade wrote:
    Calidad wrote:Isn't Kallstrom a regular for Lyon? I'm amazed he doesn't get in the Sweden side

Not sure but your right it is amazing he doesn't get into the national side espically when you have some average players starting in his position.

He doesn't play all their games, but on the other hand, Lyon have very few sure started in their midfield...

Definitely more than good enough for this Swedish team.
    Z&H
    Z&H

Number of posts : 368
    Registration date : 2007-03-30

Post by Z&H Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:50 pm

Have you seen this Nike commercial. They're going to another level this time:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=-qqSWyKqs8U

affraid
    L.r.d
    L.r.d

Number of posts : 5614
    Registration date : 2007-12-21

Post by L.r.d Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:57 pm

Hmmmm i hate matches like this. Don't like neither team Erm
    L.r.d
    L.r.d

Number of posts : 5614
    Registration date : 2007-12-21

Post by L.r.d Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:59 pm

Oh the Swedes got some hot ass fans. Lets go for them Ale
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by COTR Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:10 pm

The Swedish bus is well and truly parked
    Rasiak-9
    Rasiak-9

Number of posts : 2605
    Supports : Southampton
    Registration date : 2007-01-17

Post by Rasiak-9 Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:11 pm

Anders Svensson looks quality as always ok
    robert
    robert

Number of posts : 5672
    Supports : Manchester United
    Favourite Player : Giggs
    Registration date : 2006-08-14

Post by robert Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:13 pm

Laughing Very eloquently put Lrd.
    Chocolate Thunder
    Chocolate Thunder

Post by Chocolate Thunder Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:15 pm

TORRES!!!!!!
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:15 pm

Snowman Snowman Snowman

Snowman Snowman Snowman
    Chocolate Thunder
    Chocolate Thunder

Post by Chocolate Thunder Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:16 pm

I win 40Euros cheers
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:17 pm

Thats 2 unbelievable passes by Larsson now. ok
    Chocolate Thunder
    Chocolate Thunder

Post by Chocolate Thunder Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:17 pm

Now c'mon win 3-0 and I'll win another 100Euros cheers
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:22 pm

That move was classic Xavi...kept alternating passes with everyone in the team, then finally played a very clever ball to Iniesta who unfortunately overhit his lobbed pass to Silva.
    Rasiak-9
    Rasiak-9

Number of posts : 2605
    Supports : Southampton
    Registration date : 2007-01-17

Post by Rasiak-9 Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:23 pm

COTR wrote:The Swedish bus is well and truly parked

Not anymore, they're giving it a good go now and tbf, thats really the only way you can play against Spain, especially as Puyol is now injured.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:28 pm