Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+45
Brian2468
Calidad
Pierre Littbarski
TITO
Machiavel
Football Genius
theflyingfrenchman
Chocolate Thunder
debaser
EM Seleção e Selecção
AcciDrenthe
Tom
Historicus
TheCrazy58
forza_rossi
COTR
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!
Super Progress
Murray
Batman
Rasiak-9
Sgoater1
Ricardo Jol
Napoléon
Bashmachkin
Sheffield gunner
The Pröfessör
bluenine
Luis
Fey
Z&H
BoBo Vieri 32
Black Magic
Dwarf
Hlebagone
Juligen
Kimbo
Axeslammer
Yef
L.r.d
Parks lives
fcb
Romford Pele
SuperMario
DD
49 posters

Day 7: June 13th: Italy-Romania, Netherlands-France

Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Day 7: June 13th: Italy-Romania, Netherlands-France - Page 15 Empty Re: Day 7: June 13th: Italy-Romania, Netherlands-France

Post by Pierre Littbarski Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:43 pm

I take my hat off to Ruud - great performance.

On that evidence, ronaldo should join Real - it would be the making of him ok

Henry's goal was definitely offside and put the the gloss on his pitiful performance - that 1 on 1 lob Doh

Never a pen - it has to be intentional handball.

Boulahrouz is awesome ! affraid

@ Fey - can you please admit that Sneijder is the player of teh tournament so far ? Biggrin

@ Domenech - you're a fucking twat...

Day 7: June 13th: Italy-Romania, Netherlands-France - Page 15 4717

...but maybe Russell Grant doesn't rate him ?
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Day 7: June 13th: Italy-Romania, Netherlands-France - Page 15 Empty Re: Day 7: June 13th: Italy-Romania, Netherlands-France

Post by Machiavel Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:45 pm

De Jong did improve somewhat in the second half, maybe the freedom to play in that holding role helped him, surprised he has the nod over De Zeeuw (injured?) Thought the attacking players were impressive, passing, vision and movement a joy to watch, the counterattacks were just speechless, the introduction of Van Persie and Robben really was the turning point, I think today Van Basten has showed his team can play the possession game well and the fluent football well.
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by Sheffield gunner Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:49 pm

Do people think Van Persie and Robben will start games in the future, or should Van Basten keep things as they are and introduce them in the second half to liven things up? They're fantastic impact subs, particularly Robben when he is in such electrifying form. It's a pleasant dilemma to have trying to fit so many wonderful attacking talents into the side!
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:52 pm

Sheffield gunner wrote:Do people think Van Persie and Robben will start games in the future, or should Van Basten keep things as they are and introduce them in the second half to liven things up? They're fantastic impact subs, particularly Robben when he is in such electrifying form. It's a pleasant dilemma to have trying to fit so many wonderful attacking talents into the side!

we didn't even play Afellay this match : he's as big a talent as those two Ale

The only players I'd change are Engelaar and Mathijsen.

and I would not drop Sneijder a line back to start of with.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:29 pm

2 great games today. Very high quality play in both I thought. Exciting too.

Cassano looks quality. Not seen a whole lot of him past couple of years, but he's come on in both games and shown true quality. Romania also impressed me. Pass the ball well, and Chivu has led by example in both games. Ridiculously talented on the ball for a defender (or midfielder for that matter)

France like Italy were slightly unlucky, and I thought in the 2nd half they gave it their all, but once again the Dutch were just simply too good on the night. They've humbled both WC finalists now, and neither have been flukes. Great in possession, fantastic interchange and movement in midfield, and have pace to hurt teams on the counter-attack. Great work ethic too, and even the defence has looked reasonably solid.

Think Ribery is worthy of mention, talent to burn and works like a trojan. He may not be a Zidane (who is?), but he's a wonderful player, and never stops trying to make something happen. Sometimes looks like the only French player capable of making something happen. Thought Malouda was $h!t as usual, and thought Govou was quite decent. Defence as a unit was all over the place, but so was Italy's (indicative of the Dutch quality perhaps)?
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:35 pm

Axeslammer wrote:
    Sheffield gunner wrote:Do people think Van Persie and Robben will start games in the future, or should Van Basten keep things as they are and introduce them in the second half to liven things up? They're fantastic impact subs, particularly Robben when he is in such electrifying form. It's a pleasant dilemma to have trying to fit so many wonderful attacking talents into the side!

Same here.

Highlight of the match Engelaar off, Robben on. That's Dutch courage! KUDO'S to Marco.

All respect to Engleaar. But everybody can be subbed.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Post by Axeslammer Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:36 pm

Like Ribery, Pirlo was also pretty good against us Ale

(I thought that to have a chance against those teams we'd absolutely have to shut those two down, apparently not Shocked )
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Post by Machiavel Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:38 pm

Is this a dream, 7 goals past Italy and France plus the uncertainties before the tournament, this might be too good to be true.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Post by Axeslammer Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:38 pm

Don Leo wrote:

Highlight of the match Engelaar off, Robben on. That's Dutch courage! KUDO'S to Marco.

Marco was so incredibly lucky that move worked : he was upping the ante gigantically, a massive gamble Ale

After that Van Persie for Kuyt => even less defensive effort in the team Shocked

Fortuna iuvat braves cheers
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:41 pm

Axeslammer wrote:
    Don Leo wrote:

Marco was so incredibly lucky that move worked : he was upping the ante gigantically, a massive gamble Ale

After that Van Persie for Kuyt => even less defensive effort in the team Shocked

Fortuna iuvat braves cheers
    After 20 minutes I already said he should bring Robben; thought we lacked depth / pace up front. we should have been 2-0 up, considering the counter chances we had. must say when he brought Van Persie, I was giving it a thought that we might lack Engelaar's length for defensive set pieces. Apart from that Engelaar was sloppy this match, may even a bit out of his depth.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:25 am

Axeslammer wrote:
    Rasiak-9 wrote:"that was really a goal made by chelsea and scored by arsenal Mark"

- Motson = stupid, stupid, ignorant twat.

He forgot the Man United lead up to it (Van Nistelrooy's circus turn and heel, since when can he do stuff like that ?! ) Ale
    Since 2006 king
    Good performance by Holland. Still think they have been a bit lucky with getting goals when the other team has been attacking.
    i wouldnt exactly say this is the best football being played because i dont think there is always the fluency in their passing but still good to watch though. For once its great to see a side that wants to have the ball more succed and who dares to make offensive changes when down(Bravo Van Basten).
    Even if Holland puts their "B" team out against Romania its still going to be quality no matter what with Robben,Huntelaar,Persie,Affelay. the problem is how motivated they will be.
    DUTCH FOOTBALL <Ale>
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Number of posts : 7743
    Supports : Liverpool

Post by Football Genius Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:08 am

Don Leo wrote:
    Axeslammer wrote:

Same here.

All respect to Engleaar. But everybody can be subbed.

I was thinking it would be an excellent opportunity for Van Persie and Robben to get some further match fitness, however since, i've realised it would be at the risk they may get injured. Gio, Sneijder, RVN, one of De Jong / Engelaar should definately be rested IMO.

Imagine if Seedorf, Babel and co were available for selection, Holland really do have a dept of options at full strength. Whilst Holland have an excellent squad to choose from, i never thought player like Sneijder would step up to the plate the way they have, Real Madrid really have brought out the best in this guy Ale

NEDERLAND!
    Brian2468

Number of posts : 4875

Post by Brian2468 Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:14 am

Holland played great football today and now have showed how to contain two highly talented teams and still play attractively. This is the best football since 98 WC and many on here feel Holland will implode. Counter attacking suits them and if they ever play teams like Spain and Portugal that like possession ball I see them being able to beat these teams as long as they do not let the oppositions dirty tactics get to them.
    Go Dutchie's!!!
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:00 am

Portugal counter attacks faster then Holland , I dont know if you noted that.

France needs loads of chance people like Thuram , Sagnol are history and should be dumped.

It was interesting comparing two strikers remember when both were in England and we used to have > debates , the difference is how Ruud holds the ball allow his teammates to join in while Henry cant , any idiot would know Henry cant play the lone role and a fresher Henry will play better theory bites the dust.
    DS
    DS

Post by DS Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:03 am

For me its between Portugal and Holland seeing the performances so far , Portugal weaknesses is the direct ball ,crosses and setpieces and I dont think that are Holland strengths , yes Kuyt scored off a corner earned by a long ball but Malouda was marking him.

I dont know if Dutch can handle the Portugese wingers and the runners from midfield, it would be interesting.

2ndly and most importantly form in the group stages counts for f@ck all in knockout stages.
    Brian2468

Number of posts : 4875

Post by Brian2468 Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:26 am

I watched Portugals games and see a weakness if things do not go to plan. Even against the Czech's cold steely play effects the game mind set. Holland remand me of the Edmonton Oilers (Hockey) in there hay day they played all out offensively end to end you score 4 we will score 5. It is early days and I am not writing Germany off either but would like to see the Dutch go all the way and win. Ale
    Historicus
    Historicus

Number of posts : 943
    Supports : Liverpool, DC United, Maryland Terrapins
    Favourite Player : Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard, Omar Gonzalez, Casey Townsend
    Registration date : 2008-01-13

Post by Historicus Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:07 am

Brian2468 wrote:I watched Portugals games and see a weakness if things do not go to plan. Even against the Czech's cold steely play effects the game mind set. Holland remand me of the Edmonton Oilers (Hockey) in there hay day they played all out offensively end to end you score 4 we will score 5. It is early days and I am not writing Germany off either but would like to see the Dutch go all the way and win. Ale

The Oilers had Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier though, Kuyt may be MOTM, but I don't know if he's on the level of all time greats, and I don't know how many players on the Dutch team are, VDS and RVN maybe.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:28 am

I am still not over the games yesterday Sad

Italy deserved the win, its just too sad. Italy had to win, if they had they would have been almost certain to qualify.... so many chances wasted, and a goal ruled offside, luck certainly wasn't on their side.

And now, Holland will field a second string and delibrately lose the final game to knock both Italy and France out of the Euro and a possible semi final rematch Sad

Totally gutted.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:38 am

Super Madrid wrote:Not suprised at all that Del Piero pulled his slow as hell act when he finally gets the chance. Cassano has to start since he is the only real creative outlet. Natale should be next to him and then perhaps they wont just hoof it up for Toni.
    Exactly. DP just keeps freezing when he gets chances for the Azzurri - its not a new thing, he has been like this for 10 years!

Its should be Cassano-Toni-Di Natale, but I have a bad feeling that we will see DP and Camoranesi again in the starting line up Sad
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Post by Machiavel Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:52 am

Historicus wrote:
    Brian2468 wrote:I watched Portugals games and see a weakness if things do not go to plan. Even against the Czech's cold steely play effects the game mind set. Holland remand me of the Edmonton Oilers (Hockey) in there hay day they played all out offensively end to end you score 4 we will score 5. It is early days and I am not writing Germany off either but would like to see the Dutch go all the way and win. Ale

The Oilers had Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier though, Kuyt may be MOTM, but I don't know if he's on the level of all time greats, and I don't know how many players on the Dutch team are, VDS and RVN maybe.

Kuyt = Gretzky

Most of the attacking talent on view in this Dutch team are young, none are lets say at the level of Bergkamp, Gullit, Van Basten or Ruud Krol .. yet.
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Post by Machiavel Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:02 am

Sneijder gets the UEFA MOTM award.

Jerzy Engel, representing the UEFA Technical Team who decided on the Man of the Match after noting the outcome of the online vote on euro2008.com, admitted that Sneijder had been one of a number of star players on show. "It was very difficult to make a decision," said the former Poland coach. "At the end, we were looking at three players – at Franck Ribéry, at Arjen Robben and at Sneijder, who was the architect of the game. When he scored the goal at the end, it tipped the balance in his favour."
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Post by Axeslammer Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:30 am

Napoléon wrote:
    L.r.d wrote:Van der Saar > Buffon <Ale>

he can do nothing

Buffon = Casillas = Coupet = Cech = Mandanda >>>>>> VDS

lol! cheers lol!

Number of posts : 4759
    Supports : Italia and Milan
    Registration date : 2007-05-10

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:33 pm

bluenine wrote:
    Super Madrid wrote:Not suprised at all that Del Piero pulled his slow as hell act when he finally gets the chance. Cassano has to start since he is the only real creative outlet. Natale should be next to him and then perhaps they wont just hoof it up for Toni.
    Exactly. DP just keeps freezing when he gets chances for the Azzurri - its not a new thing, he has been like this for 10 years!

Its should be Cassano-Toni-Di Natale, but I have a bad feeling that we will see DP and Camoranesi again in the starting line up Sad

Del Piero was good in the first half. Pirlo was awful yesterday.
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:22 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:I take my hat off to Ruud - great performance.

On that evidence, ronaldo should join Real - it would be the making of him ok

Henry's goal was definitely offside and put the the gloss on his pitiful performance - that 1 on 1 lob Doh

Never a pen - it has to be intentional handball.

Boulahrouz is awesome ! affraid

@ Fey - can you please admit that Sneijder is the player of teh tournament so far ? Biggrin

@ Domenech - you're a fucking twat...

Day 7: June 13th: Italy-Romania, Netherlands-France - Page 15 4717

...but maybe Russell Grant doesn't rate him ?

Ooohh hell no! Midget never scores the first goal!!

MOTM yesterday was clearly Kuyt, midget was one of the weakest players even! Trying to win headers with negroid who are 2 meter+ Erm

But Kuyt was so good yesterday!

I prefer him on the right side and RVP on the 10!
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:30 pm

Anyway...the ratings!!!

van der Saar Ale 8,5 best goalie in the world at this moment!
    Boula: 8
    Ooijer: 7,5
    Mathijssen: 6,5
    Gio: 8
    De Jong: 6
    Engelaar: 6,5 The guy shouldnt pass, but we got overrun when he went of!
    VDV: 7
    Midget: 7
    RVN: 8,5 He worked really hard!!!!
    Kuyt: 9 MOTM!
    Robben: 9
    RVP: 8
    Since 1888
    Since 1888

Number of posts : 5171
    Supports : Sparta Rotterdam
    Favourite Player : Sepp de Roover

Post by Since 1888 Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:32 pm

Eurosport Laughing

Netherlands 4-1 France

A total of 11 English top flight players featured in the game in Berne as Netherlands booked their place in the quarter-finals in quite some style.

Liverpool's Dirk Kuyt got the Oranje on their way as he finally managed to add a goal to his usual display of tireless running, heading home from close range in just the 10th minute.

Arsenal forward Robin van Persie was also on the scoresheet, netting the crucial second goal just four minutes after having been introduced as a substitute. He went on to link up well with fellow substitute and former Chelsea man Arjen Robben, giving the French defence plenty to think about on the break.

At the back, Blackburn's Andre Ooijer and Chelsea-owned Khalid Boulahrouz continue to confound their doubters - the pair were unflappable once again although Ooijer was lucky not to have seen a penalty decision go against him when Thierry Henry's 49th minute shot struck his arm. In the end, it was a terrific block.

In goal, Manchester United keeper Edwin van der Sar looked solid, making decent saves to deny Florent Malouda, Sidney Govou and Franck Ribery. But the veteran could do nothing about Henry's deft finish in the 71st minute.

Aston Villa full-back Wilfred Bouma came on as a 79th minute substitute to close the game down with Netherlands leading 3-1.

Chelsea winger Florent Malouda again started for the French, despite a lacklustre display in Les Bleus' opener against Romania, but did little to justify his inclusion. He was horribly at fault for Kuyt's opener, when he took his eyes off the ball and allowed himself to be out-muscled at the near post by the Liverpool man.

Manchester United left-back Patrice Evra made his bow at the Championship but rarely got the chance to make his trademark bursts down the wing and was penned back in his own half for much of the game.

Alongside him, Arsenal defender William Gallas was exposed to the full force of the Dutch attack and had the brilliant Ruud van Nistelrooy to contend with. The Gunners captain does not like to lose though and ran his socks off, covering five kilometres in the first half alone.

Just in front of the back four, Chelsea midfielder Claude Makelele looked overrun at times and was lucky to stay on the pitch after two poor challenges.

Makelele's Stamford Bridge team-mate Nicolas Anelka came on to replace Govou, but with just 15 minutes remaining, the striker had no time to make a difference and had little impact on the game.
    Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United

Post by Deano Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:33 pm

bluenine wrote:I am still not over the games yesterday Sad

Italy deserved the win, its just too sad. Italy had to win, if they had they would have been almost certain to qualify.... so many chances wasted, and a goal ruled offside, luck certainly wasn't on their side.

And now, Holland will field a second string and delibrately lose the final game to knock both Italy and France out of the Euro and a possible semi final rematch Sad

Totally gutted.

No Bluenine...we can't defend. Ok...we have had a couple of bad refereeing decisions...but that doesn't justify a $h!t performance against Holland, and poor defending two games running. We don't have players performing well...and Donadoni, who fair play to him changed things, doesn't seem to know what to do tactically at the moment.

Romania deserved their point...and Holland deserved their win. We don't deserve to be on any more than the 1 point we have.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:46 pm

Since 1888 wrote:Eurosport Laughing

Netherlands 4-1 France

A total of 11 English top flight players featured in the game in Berne as Netherlands booked their place in the quarter-finals in quite some style.

Liverpool's Dirk Kuyt got the Oranje on their way as he finally managed to add a goal to his usual display of tireless running, heading home from close range in just the 10th minute.

Arsenal forward Robin van Persie was also on the scoresheet, netting the crucial second goal just four minutes after having been introduced as a substitute. He went on to link up well with fellow substitute and former Chelsea man Arjen Robben, giving the French defence plenty to think about on the break.

At the back, Blackburn's Andre Ooijer and Chelsea-owned Khalid Boulahrouz continue to confound their doubters - the pair were unflappable once again although Ooijer was lucky not to have seen a penalty decision go against him when Thierry Henry's 49th minute shot struck his arm. In the end, it was a terrific block.

In goal, Manchester United keeper Edwin van der Sar looked solid, making decent saves to deny Florent Malouda, Sidney Govou and Franck Ribery. But the veteran could do nothing about Henry's deft finish in the 71st minute.

Aston Villa full-back Wilfred Bouma came on as a 79th minute substitute to close the game down with Netherlands leading 3-1.

Chelsea winger Florent Malouda again started for the French, despite a lacklustre display in Les Bleus' opener against Romania, but did little to justify his inclusion. He was horribly at fault for Kuyt's opener, when he took his eyes off the ball and allowed himself to be out-muscled at the near post by the Liverpool man.

Manchester United left-back Patrice Evra made his bow at the Championship but rarely got the chance to make his trademark bursts down the wing and was penned back in his own half for much of the game.

Alongside him, Arsenal defender William Gallas was exposed to the full force of the Dutch attack and had the brilliant Ruud van Nistelrooy to contend with. The Gunners captain does not like to lose though and ran his socks off, covering five kilometres in the first half alone.

Just in front of the back four, Chelsea midfielder Claude Makelele looked overrun at times and was lucky to stay on the pitch after two poor challenges.

Makelele's Stamford Bridge team-mate Nicolas Anelka came on to replace Govou, but with just 15 minutes remaining, the striker had no time to make a difference and had little impact on the game.

what an awful review

that's all we hear over in the UK though. Which premiership players are featuring, which players on show should come to the premiership
    Bashmachkin
    Bashmachkin

Number of posts : 2374
    Registration date : 2007-02-09

Post by Bashmachkin Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:49 pm

Just to respond to a few points that DS made:

I think Henry doesn't look in the best of spirits, he doesn't look full of confidence, and he's maybe not quite fit, or match fit yet. Still, I thought he was one of France's better players yesterday in a team that didn't perform at all well - Henry was decent, ran pretty well, in the second half, and though his goal did put the gloss on what wasn't a great performance - still it was a nicely taken goal, and the gloss didn't shine so brightly considering the overall scoreline.

Henry doesn't have the perfect attributes for playing the lone striker, but I think he can play it effectively - however, it requires something different from the team, it requires an attack to play in a different sort of way than it would play with a van Nistelrooy, or a Drogba or Adebayor. These players are good in the air, and good with their backs to goal, good at holding the ball up and allowing runners to run forward into good positions. Henry doesn't hold up the ball with his back to goal. So the midfielders have to be quicker to support him, perhaps have to get closer to him and play intricate passes amongst themselves, or else they have to draw the defenders away to allow Henry to do something himself. They maybe need to play so that they sometimes get ahead of Henry by the time he gets the ball. And it suits to play balls over the top for Henry to run onto more.

I still think France would very possibly be better with two strikers. But at the moment their attack just doesn't link well at all. I think their holding players sit too deep, don't bring the ball forward enough; their wide players don't stay wide, and so overlapping full backs aren't utilised well; Ribery and Henry don't seem to have a great partnership yet. It's just a group of random players in random positions, not really playing off each other.

I think the Netherlands have looked better than the Portugese thus far, though Portugal have looked good too. I think it's a valid point that Portugal might counter attack faster, spread the play quicker with more slick passing, certainly from the start of the game - the two teams start a little bit differently; the Dutch with more of a target man, maybe a little bit narrower with Kuyt and Sneijder - though there is little difference when van Persie and Robben come on. But I have more faith in the Dutch being able to break down defensive sides and score goals, because they have a more clinical finisher in van Nistelrooy, because they can maybe mix the play more. Portugal should have a better central defence than Holland have, but in the last game Pepe and Carvalho didn't look immense at corners. And I think it is interesting that the Dutch full backs have been much more involved than the Portugese full backs so far in this tournament - van Bronckhorst has been excellent and Ferreira isn't really comparable; but yesterday Boulahrouz was attacking well, and even looked good on the ball, whereas Bosingwa hasn't offered much for Portugal.
    DS
    DS

Post by DS Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:06 pm

Very good points Bash , Benzema should start for France he is their only striker who had a good season though Trez should have been picked and playing.

Portugal has more room for improvement as you point out but do you think Dutch can improve any more , they may change it a bit by bringing Van Persie and Robben but that weakens them defensively.

It would be a very intriguing game and I think it will depend of Deco to be honest Dutch dont have anyone who compares to him.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:46 pm