Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+40
TM
BoBo Vieri 32
Torrente
Kimbo
Axeslammer
Murray
debaser
Sheffield gunner
stinger
Fade out
Dwarf
The Easter Bunny
Pierre Littbarski
COTR
Parks lives
Deluded F*ck™
The Pröfessör
A & K
Hlebagone
S4P
Super Progress
fcb
Aristoskank
Luis
Tweesus
Six
Batman '
shazlx
Allez les rouges
Romford Pele
EMP
SuperMario
Fey
Rosicky
christmasborocooper
Batman
Di Caniooooo!
L r dd
Chocolate Thunder
Glenarch of the Glen
44 posters

FA Cup Semi Finals

Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

FA Cup Semi Finals - Page 2 Empty Re: FA Cup Semi Finals

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:59 am

CUP REF'S A UNITED FAN

EVERTON’s David Moyes has hinted that he – and other managers – think Sunday’s FA Cup semi-final ref Mike Riley is a Manchester United fan.

Riley is a late replacement at Wembley for Steve Bennett, who has withdrawn due to illness. But Moyes has cranked up the pressure ahead of the potentially explosive cup tie by suggesting the Yorkshire-born official may favour Sir Alex Ferguson's team.

Moyes said: “A member of the press asked me if Mike Riley is a Manchester United supporter - I think that is something you would need to bring up with the FA.

“It is something that one or two managers would have something to say about.

"It is the FA’s appointment; it was originally supposed to be Steve Bennett.

“If you (the press) are saying that Mike Riley is a Manchester United supporter, you would hope the FA would look at that.”

Irrespective of Riley’s alleged allegiance, Moyes has clashed with him in the past.

Moyes was livid in 2003 when Riley awarded a controversial penalty to United in the final game of the season which cost Everton a place in the UEFA Cup.

Riley also sent off Tim Cahill in a 2-0 defeat to Liverpool in September.

“They (referees) try to get the decisions right,” added Moyes.

“I think they can be influenced, I think that has been seen in a couple of games I have been involved in recently.”

A spokesman for the FA said: “All our referees are fair, unbiased and objective.

“Mike Riley is one of our top officials and we are 100% confident he will do a good job on Sunday.”
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
    Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
    Favourite Player : Ozil
    Registration date : 2006-10-05

Post by Romford Pele Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:38 pm

http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2009/04/17/Exclusive-Ashley-Cole-to-Dan-Roan/gnid-48998/

Ashley Cole asks for the Arsenal fans to forgive him.

lol! Fat Chance Laughing
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:40 pm

http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2009/04/17/Which-club-is-bigger-Arsenal-or-Chelsea/gnid-48989/

Can't even believe they asked this question.

Have to put up with the stupid commentary from them tomorrow Rolling Eyes
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:00 pm

Wayne Rooney made a fool of former Everton goalkeeper Neville Southall - when he was just 11 years old. The Manchester United striker was Everton mascot in 1995 and, while warming up with the Welsh goalkeeper, he continually chipped the ball over Southall's head into the net (The Sun).

Laughing
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Number of posts : 8098
    Supports : Deutschland, Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jens Lehmann
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Allez les rouges Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:23 pm

It's not even about forgivness (Spurs/"Judas" style Laughing) as far as I'm concerned, wanted shot of him long before he finally left, I just think he (Cashley)'s a c**t. Good defender though.
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by Aristoskank Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:25 pm

Marlo Glennfield wrote:CUP REF'S A UNITED FAN

Source (curiously not provided by Glenn) - The Daily Star
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:29 pm

it was at a press conference attended by many papers

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/apr/17/david-moyes-everton-mike-riley-fa-cup

David Moyes questions Mike Riley's allegiance to Manchester United

• Manager claims press rumour should be investigated
    • FA denies any bias ahead of FA Cup semi-final

The Everton manager David Moyes has questioned the appointment of Mike Riley as the replacement referee for his side's FA Cup semi-final against Manchester United on Sunday. Riley was selected to fill in for the unwell Steve Bennett, yet Moyes called for an FA investigation into whether the Leeds-born official has any allegiances toward United.

"A member of the press asked me if Mike Riley was a Manchester United supporter and I think that's something you would need to bring up with the FA," Moyes said. "If you're saying that he is, you'd hope the FA would look at it. It is something that one or two managers would have something to say about."

Moyes has an uneasy history with Riley after the referee controversially awarded a penalty during Everton's final match of the 2002-03 season, also against Manchester United, which cost the club a place in the Uefa Cup. A spokesman for the FA said the choice of official would stand. "All our referees are fair, unbiased and objective," he said. "Mike Riley is one of our top officials and we are 100% confident he will do a good job on Sunday."
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:31 pm

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5196039,00.html

Moyes unsure over Riley's role
    Toffees chief not so sweet on official choice

Everton manager David Moyes has questioned the decision to appoint Mike Riley to referee his side's FA Cup semi-final with Manchester United at Wembley.

The Yorkshire official has been drafted in as a late replacement for Steve Bennett, who has withdrawn due to illness.

But Moyes, who has frequently not seen eye to eye with Riley, has responded to the suggestion that the official is a fan of United.

Riley upset Moyes way back in 2003 when he awarded a controversial penalty to United in the final game of the season that cost Everton a place in the Uefa Cup.

Riley also sent-off Tim Cahill in the 2-0 league defeat to Liverpool in September.

Appointment

And now Moyes has responded to questions about Riley's appointment ahead of Sunday's semi-final.

"A member of the press asked me if Mike Riley is a Manchester United supporter - I think that is something you would need to bring up with the FA," Moyes told the club's official website.

"It is something that one or two managers would have something to say about. It is the FA's appointment; it was originally supposed to be Steve Bennett.

"If you (the press) are saying that Mike Riley is a Manchester United supporter, you would hope the FA would look at that."

Honest

Moyes added that, in general, he believes English referees are doing a good job, but he did question the influence of the so-called 'big four'.

He said: "Referees in this country are very honest. They try to get the decisions right.

"I think they can be influenced, I think that has been seen in a couple of games I have been involved in recently."

A FA spokesman said: "All our referees are fair, unbiased and objective.

"Mike Riley is one of our top officials and we are 100% confident he will do a good job on Sunday."
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:32 pm

http://www.fansfc.com/story/9800.html

http://www.football.co.uk/everton/fa_defend_riley_appointment_281565.shtml

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0417/1224244902563.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/e/everton/8002851.stm
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Post by Aristoskank Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:40 pm

Touched a nerve, Glenn?
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:49 pm

well your comment seemed rather pointless, crushing it emphatically was a slam dunk, who could resist?
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:32 pm

Oh dear. A united fan in charge of a semi final between united and Everton. I'm surprised the match isn't at Old Trafford as well.
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:20 am

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has revealed he passed up the chance to sign Didier Drogba for just £100,000 when the Chelsea striker was still at French second division club Le Mans. (Sun, various)
    Rosicky
    Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
    Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
    Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:22 am

Ray Parlour wrote:Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has revealed he passed up the chance to sign Didier Drogba for just £100,000 when the Chelsea striker was still at French second division club Le Mans. (Sun, various)

lol! lol! lol!

Is there a player left he hasnt passed up the chance to sign? Only then to bring it up about 5 years later...Whistle

I guess we are still waiting for Messi.
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:23 am

Claudio Ranieri deserves more credit for the recent success of Chelsea, according to Arsène Wenger.

The Italian spent five seasons at Stamford Bridge but was sacked at the end of the 2003/04 campaign before the effects of Roman Abramovich’s wealth could be felt. His replacement, Jose Mourinho, scooped two Premier League titles in a row to leave Ranieri as little more than a footnote in Chelsea’s glory years.

Mourinho was the largest beneficiary of Abramovich’s multi-million investment in the Chelsea team but the English spine of John Terry, Frank Lampard and Joe Cole was installed by Ranieri. For Wenger, that proves that the Italian put the foundations for success in place before Mourinho added his own unique gloss.

“Other countries are trying to analyse why the English Premier League clubs are so successful,” said Wenger ahead of Saturday’s FA Cup Semi-Final.

“They came to the conclusion it is not only the money. As well it is the face they have of the manager.

“Chelsea is is a little bit of an exception, but only recently. Mourinho stayed two or three years and Ranieri stayed five years. And Ranieri has been the foundation of today's team. It is Ranieri who built this team, not anybody else.

“It is not down to me to say that [Mourinho has received too much credit]. I just say tomorrow you never get too much credit because Mourinho certainly deserves credit but maybe Ranieri didn't get enough."
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:24 am

Ray Parlour wrote:Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has revealed he passed up the chance to sign Didier Drogba for just £100,000 when the Chelsea striker was still at French second division club Le Mans. (Sun, various)

lol!

We haven't had Messi, Torres, or Kaka yet. Come on Arsene, keep it coming.
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:25 am

Aguero to come in somewhere down the line?
    Rosicky
    Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
    Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
    Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:26 am

Have we had Benzema, i think that one is on the cards
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Post by Aristoskank Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:30 am

Pele?
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:21 pm

What I don't is that Wenger by saying he turned down the chance reveals that he perhaps doesn't such a good eye for talent after all. I mean it is world talent after talent which he hasn't bought.
    EMP
    EMP

Number of posts : 7384
    Supports : Valencia, and in Africa Al-Ahly
    Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by EMP Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:31 pm

Super Madrid wrote:What I don't is that Wenger by saying he turned down the chance reveals that he perhaps doesn't such a good eye for talent after all. I mean it is world talent after talent which he hasn't bought.

Don't see what he gains by saying it other than showig that Drogba originally preferred Arsenal and wanted to work with Wenger. All managers will miss gems before their worth was clear. Who knew then that Drogba would become the player he is today. Feyenoord turned down Michael Essien and they could have had both him and Kolo Toure for free. Wenger hardly has a horrible record of spotting young talent and signing it. He was wrong on Drogba. Big deal.

Last edited by EMP on Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Post by Aristoskank Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:40 pm

Wasn't Drogba at that point playing as a centreback?
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:03 pm

The Gunners will be playing their 408th match in the FA Cup; the Blues their 351st. Arsenal have won 214, Chelsea 175 and should they not concede a goal, Arsene Wenger's club would be keeping their 150th clean sheet in the history of the competition.

Arsenal >>>> Chelsea qed
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea

Post by S4P Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:51 pm

Ray Parlour wrote:Claudio Ranieri deserves more credit for the recent success of Chelsea, according to Arsène Wenger.

The Italian spent five seasons at Stamford Bridge but was sacked at the end of the 2003/04 campaign before the effects of Roman Abramovich’s wealth could be felt. His replacement, Jose Mourinho, scooped two Premier League titles in a row to leave Ranieri as little more than a footnote in Chelsea’s glory years.

Mourinho was the largest beneficiary of Abramovich’s multi-million investment in the Chelsea team but the English spine of John Terry, Frank Lampard and Joe Cole was installed by Ranieri. For Wenger, that proves that the Italian put the foundations for success in place before Mourinho added his own unique gloss.

“Other countries are trying to analyse why the English Premier League clubs are so successful,” said Wenger ahead of Saturday’s FA Cup Semi-Final.

“They came to the conclusion it is not only the money. As well it is the face they have of the manager.

“Chelsea is is a little bit of an exception, but only recently. Mourinho stayed two or three years and Ranieri stayed five years. And Ranieri has been the foundation of today's team. It is Ranieri who built this team, not anybody else.

“It is not down to me to say that [Mourinho has received too much credit]. I just say tomorrow you never get too much credit because Mourinho certainly deserves credit but maybe Ranieri didn't get enough."

lol! What on earth is the voyeur speaking about?

Ranieri had a great chance to save his job at 2-0 against Monaco. I think he's a very good manager, but he doesn't have a winners mentality imo. He deserves some credit for the team, but I think he gets enough already.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:23 pm

Spuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurs Ale

Terry replaces Carvalho, Anelka replaces Kalou.

Song and Nasri out for Diaby and Denilson.
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Post by Aristoskank Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:25 pm

Diaby

cheers
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:29 pm

Where did you hear that Glenn?
    S4P
    S4P

Post by S4P Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:43 pm

The Team:

1 Petr Cech; 2 Branislav Ivanovic, 33 Alex, 26 John Terry (c), 3 Ashley Cole; 13 Michael Ballack, 5 Michael Essien, 8 Frank Lampard; 15 Florent Malouda, 39 Nicolas Anelka, 11 Didier Drogba

-------------Cech
    Ivanovic--Alex--Terry--A Cole
    ------------Essien
    --------Ballack--Lampard
    Anelka-----Drogba----Malouda
    S4P
    S4P

Post by S4P Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:44 pm

Subs:

Hilario
    Belletti
    Mancienne
    Carvalho
    Mikel
    Kalou
    di Santo
    Batman
    Batman

Number of posts : 9071

Post by Batman Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:19 pm

Fabianski

Eboue . . Toure . . Silvestre . . Gibbs

Walcott . . Fabregas . . Diaby . . Denilson

Adebayor . . Van Persie

Subs: Arshavin, Song, Mannone, Nasri, Bendtner, Vela, Ramsey.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 4:01 am