Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+23
shazlx
Kroos
Tom
MightyBarca
Murray
Tarun
stinger
TheCrazy58
ronnies teeth
Fey
Torrente
Hem fet un..
BoBo Vieri 32
TM
SuperMario
Super Progress
TITO
L r dd
Jaime
Fade out
fcb
COTR
bluenine
27 posters

Barcelona vs Internazionale

bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Barcelona vs Internazionale Empty Barcelona vs Internazionale

Post by bluenine Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:53 pm

24 Nov: Barcelona vs Internazionale

I think this game is big enough to merit its own thread... if Barcelona lose, they could be out of the CL this week... if Inter lose, we will need all 3 points in the final game against Rubin... Its big, its important, and its not about the leadership of the group as we had earlier anticipated, its about survival in the CL!!!

The Champions of Spain & Europe vs The Champions of Italy. It doesn't get bigger than this.

Latest News:
    Barcelona: Messi, Abidal, Toure & Marquez are out, Ibra is doubtful.
    Inter: Sneijder & Santon are out.

Barca seem to be in trouble.
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Barcelona vs Internazionale Empty Re: Barcelona vs Internazionale

Post by COTR Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:56 pm

When was the last big game Inter won in the CL Bluey ?
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:01 pm

Breaking news: Messi's injury is not as serious as they initially expected. He's not completely ruled out for the Inter game, though IMO it wouldn't be a surprise if Pep rests him with the Clasico in mind.
    Fade out
    Fade out

Number of posts : 6128
    Favourite Player : Baggio (he outshone Zidane when played together at Juve)
    Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Fade out Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:10 pm

It doesn't get better than Bluey's consistent hype of this group and this game. Whistle CL giants? As hard as it is to admit, Barca might well be. Inter? Laughing That said, I hope Inter beat and eliminate them. Although it would benefit us if they remain in Europe, I just can't stand them lifting the trophy in bernabeu. The sooner they get eliminated the better. Devil
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:57 pm

Barcelona vs Internazionale Eto_380x529_863071a
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:05 pm

Laudable Laudrup wrote:It doesn't get better than Bluey's consistent hype of this group and this game. Barcelona vs Internazionale F_whistl CL giants? As hard as it is to admit, Barca might well be. Inter? Barcelona vs Internazionale Icon_lol That said, I hope Inter beat and eliminate them. Although it would benefit us if they remain in Europe, I just can't stand them lifting the trophy in bernabeu. The sooner they get eliminated the better. Barcelona vs Internazionale Devil

When did I say that?

It doesn't get better with some people reading imaginary comments Barcelona vs Internazionale Icon_razz Barcelona vs Internazionale F_whistl

It is a big game, whether you like it or not. Champions of two of the big 3 leagues face each other, it rarely gets bigger than this. Its not like a game of has beens, like the Milan-Madrid encounters Barcelona vs Internazionale Icon_razz
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:09 pm

kas wrote:Breaking news: Messi's injury is not as serious as they initially expected. He's not completely ruled out for the Inter game, though IMO it wouldn't be a surprise if Pep rests him with the Clasico in mind.

I hope he is fit and he plays... ditto Ibra. Its always more fun when the top stars play...
    L r dd

Number of posts : 12451
    Registration date : 2008-12-22

Post by L r dd Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:09 pm

This has a draw written all over it. I don't know what that means for each party but i still see Barca and Inter finishing in the top 2. Barca are a little weak right now but i don't think Inter are ruthless enough to beat them over there.
    Fade out
    Fade out

Post by Fade out Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:10 pm

bluenine wrote:Its not like a game of has beens, like the Milan-Madrid encounters Barcelona vs Internazionale Icon_razz

Mad

Nevermind the potshot, I hope Inter does well. cheers
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:10 pm

COTR #6 wrote:When was the last big game Inter won in the CL Bluey ?

We have definately won quite a few since the last time Liverpool won their league Razz
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by COTR Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:27 pm

bluenine wrote:

We have definately won quite a few since the last time Liverpool won their league Razz

Very good Razz

But I actually do want to know the answer to this question
    Fade out
    Fade out

Post by Fade out Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:40 pm

Always bottled against English opposition and blamed it on injuries & refereeing. Enough reason for English fans to wind up Bluey.
    TITO
    TITO

Number of posts : 3155
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by TITO Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:19 pm

It looks like both will make it, Ibra and Messi.
    This game is much more important than the classico. At least for the moment, so i don't care what they do (Henry can do a handball again) but they fucking need to win this one.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:01 pm

Laudable Laudrup wrote:Always bottled against English opposition and blamed it on injuries & refereeing. Enough reason for English fans to wind up Bluey.

Really? Always?? So two match ups against Liverpool & ManU now constitute as always??
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Super Progress Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:15 pm

It is about time Inter win against a good team. And who better to show it against then Barcelona. I really hope Inter are allowed to get rough with the bitches like Rubin were because then suddenly it isn't that tough to keep control of them. Hopefully Inter will mark Xavi which is the obvious way to stop them, the rest really follows.

I would go with Eto+Balotelli to outmuscle and outpace the defence allthough having somebody who is clinical like Milito isn't that bad.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:49 am

bluenine wrote:Its not like a game of has beens, like the Milan-Madrid encounters Barcelona vs Internazionale Icon_razz

Unlike Inter who are NEVER HAVE BEENS. BiggrinAle
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:38 am

TITO wrote:It looks like both will make it, Ibra and Messi.
    This game is much more important than the classico. At least for the moment, so i don't care what they do (Henry can do a handball again) but they fucking need to win this one.

I think Ibrahimovic will make it but Messi won't start.

I don't agree about this game being more important than the Clasico. In theory you're right because this is a knockout game, whereas the Clasico is part of a 38-game league season.

But the way I see it is that statistically it's almost impossible to win the CL back to back. So considering we're bound to go out at some point, might as well do so now. No point getting through with a huge amount of effort, then stretching the squad only to lose in March or April again.

And I *really* want Barça to win the league this year. Beating Madrid's multi-million dollar project will be one of the most satisfying league wins the club has achieved. If you offer me the league title in exchange for going out of the CL in the group stage, and also losing in the next round of the Copa (to Alcorcon Wink ), I'll sign immediately.

Also, here's something interesting I just noticed - Rubin's game against Dynamo Kiev kicks off early, so it should be finished by the time this game kicks off. Will give both Barça and Inter a better idea of what they need to do.
    L r dd

Number of posts : 12451
    Registration date : 2008-12-22

Post by L r dd Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:26 am

Kas that's just ridiculous logic. Statistically no team has won it back to back.......so that means you're certain to lose rather go out now?

Why bother entering then? Laughing Man Utd got to the final last year after winning it the year before, and in a one off match anything can happen. Barca have or had as much chance as anyone.

The CL game is more important but i can see why people are more excited and want to win the classico more after Real's spending spree.

At first glance the kick off situation is unfair to the first two teams but at the same time it could put more pressure depending on what happens.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:44 am

I know it sounds crazy, but I'm just trying to use probabilities when sacrificing competitions.

Post by Guest Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:26 pm

I won't mind being K.O either, their are a number of teams that can stop real from winning the CL. but only us can stop them for winning the league.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:17 pm

kas wrote:I know it sounds crazy, but I'm just trying to use probabilities when sacrificing competitions.

Its a rubbish probability, mate - based on too small a sample size. Try putting a confidence level on that one, it just won't stack up statistically.

Barca have as much a chance to win the CL as anyone else. If they make it out of this group, which I still believe they will, then they will remain as CL favourites along with very few other sides.

I don't think this matchday will decide anything... the chances of both Inter and Rubin recording wins tomorrow are very small. This group will go down to the last matchday, and thats when it will be decided.
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:32 pm

For sure. Interestingly both tomorrow's matches aren't played at the same time.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:15 pm

De Guzman wrote:For sure. Interestingly both tomorrow's matches aren't played at the same time.

Which means that if Rubin win, it will make the second game very interesting as both teams will be a bit desperate!

But if Rubin don't win, then both teams will be happy with a draw.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Post by Jaime Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:18 pm

Messiah wrote:I won't mind being K.O either, their are a number of teams that can stop real from winning the CL. but only us can stop them for winning the league.

lol!

And here all along I thought it was the almighty Barcelona was the team to be stopped! Oh, and Sevilla are only two points behind you so I'm sure someone else could stop us. Ale
    TM
    TM

Number of posts : 21218
    Supports : PROGRESS!
    Favourite Player : Luis Figo
    Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by TM Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:47 pm

Messiah wrote:I won't mind being K.O either, their are a number of teams that can stop real from winning the CL. but only us can stop them for winning the league.

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Yes Messiah we know, you were going to get crushed by the "mighty Bayern Munich" last year too.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:41 pm

The good news is that Ibra and Sneijder have been declared fit, quite definate to start, and Messi might be able to make it.... the game is on!!!

I leave you with the goal.com preview:

Champions League Preview: Barcelona - Inter
    The reigning champions of Europe face a tough test against Inter on Tuesday evening...

All To Play For

When the draw was made for the Champions League in August, few dared think that the two teams that meet in Camp Nou on Tuesday night would not be the ones to claim the top two places in Group F. Barcelona were the champions of Europe and Spain, while Inter had just clinched their third consecutive Serie A title and both were expected to be in and around the latter stages of the continental competition.

Instead, the loser in the Catalan capital in midweek could find themselves facing a very tough task to qualify for the first knockout phase of the Champions League this term. The Blaugrana have not consistently reproduced the form that saw them sweep to a unique treble last season and while the talk of crisis has been muted, some unconvincing results have left many wondering when they will turn the corner.

Defeat at Camp Nou by Rubin Kazan in the middle of October was seen as a blip, given that the visitors were pinned into their own half for the majority of the game and the outcome was blamed on Barca's inability to finish. Against the same opposition Pep Guardiola's side were unable to score two weeks later and it was that second result that has left the kings of Europe teetering on the edge of an early exit.

League And Europe

Inter might be five points clear at the top of Serie A, but they too have not shone in Europe and are only out in front in the group by a point thanks to a late turnaround against Dynamo Kyiv in Ukraine in early November. The draw in Italy against the same team a fortnight before came on the back of being held by Rubin in Kazan and a goalless draw with Barca at the Giuseppe Meazza and extended thr club's record in the competition to eight games without victory.

A ruthless streak has been missing from Jose Mourinho's team when playing in the Champions League that has been clearly in evidence when taking on domestic opponents every weekend. With ten wins and one defeat from their opening 13 matches in Serie A, Inter are five points clear at the top and have scored the most goals, 32, and conceded the least, 11.

The teams are separated by just a point in the group and it will be the visitors to Barcelona that believe they are in the strongest position to progress because a draw in this encounter would make them favourites with a home game against Rubin to follow. If Inter do win and Rubin beat Dynamo Kyiv then the cup holders will make a dramatic exit from the event, but the record books show that Barca have never lost two consecutive home games in Europe.

RECENT FORM

Barcelona
    November 21 v Athletic Club (A) DREW 1-1 (La Liga)
    November 10 v Cultural Leonesa (H) WON 5-0 (Copa del Rey)
    November 07 v Real Mallorca (H) WON 4-2 (La Liga)
    November 04 v Rubin Kazan (A) DREW 0-0 (Champions League)
    October 31 v Osasuna (A) DREW 1-1 (La Liga)

Inter
    November 21 v Bologna (A) WON 3-1 (Serie A)
    November 08 v Roma (H) DREW 1-1 (Serie A)
    November 04 v Dynamo Kyiv (A) WON 2-1 (Champions League)
    November 01 v Livorno (A) WON 2-0 (Serie A)
    October 29 v Palermo (H) WON 5-3 (Serie A)

TEAM NEWS

Barcelona

Lionel Messi has not been ruled out of the crunch clash, but remains doubtful after suffering a knock against Athletic Club at the weekend. Zlatan Ibrahimovic is set to return though having trained for two days without any problems. Yaya Toure and Eric Abidal are both omitted after picking up the H1N1 virus, while Rafa Marquez is also doubtful, despite being cleared of having the same bug and Dmytro Chygrynskiy is ineligible. According to early indications, Guardiola could play Busquets in midfield and push Iniesta up to leave Pedro on the bench.

Probable Starting XI: (4-3-3) Valdes; Alves, Puyol, Pique, Maxwell; Busquets, Keita, Xavi; Iniesta, Ibrahimovic, Henry.

Inter

The big news for the visitors is the return to action of former Real Madrid playmaker Wesley Sneijder, who suffered a thigh injury while on international duty with the Netherlands last week. Davide Santon is out with a knee injury, but otherwise Mourinho should have a virtually full squad to choose from for the encounter.

Probable Starting XI: (4-3-1-2) Cesar; Maicon, Lucio, Samuel, Chivu; Zanetti, Stankovic, Cambiasso; Sneijder; Eto'o, Milito.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Thierry Henry (Barcelona)

The Frenchman has endured a tough week after his handball antics for France and played for only the last seven minutes at the weekend. Barca will need him to be at his best if they are to break down a tough Inter defence without Messi, but it remains to be seen what mental state he will be in.

Samuel Eto'o (Inter)

An obvious choice, but he will so full of desire to show the Catalan club that they made a mistake in letting him go in the summer. The striker felt that he was pushed out of Camp Nou and will want to score, but has promised not to celebrate if he does out of respect for the fans.

PREDICTION
    It could well be make or break time for the European champions as they run the very real risk of being eliminated on Tuesday night if they lose. Both teams will be keen not to taste defeat and that could well lead to another stalemate, to add top their first goalless meeting, only this time with a goal each.

Barcelona 1 - 1 Inter
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:45 pm

Inter squad for Barcelona (expected starters in bold):

Goalkeepers: 1 Francesco Toldo, 12 Julio Cesar, 21 Paolo Orlandoni.

Defenders: 2 Ivan Ramiro Cordoba, 4 Javier Zanetti, 6 Lucio, 13 Maicon, 23 Marco Materazzi, 25 Walter Samuel, 26 Cristian Chivu.

Midfielders: 5 Dejan Stankovic, 7 Ricardo Quaresma, 8 Thiago Motta, 10 Wesley Sneijder, 11 Sulley Muntari, 14 Patrick Vieira, 15 Rene Krhin, 19 Esteban Cambiasso, 30 Mancini.

Strikers: 9 Samuel Eto'o, 18 David Suazo, 22 Diego Milito, 45 Mario Balotelli.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:38 pm

COTR #6 wrote:
    bluenine wrote:

Very good Razz

Depends what you mean by big game? Would you consider round of 16 matches against Ajax and Porto as big games? if not, then probably the 5-1 over Valencia in 2004.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:39 pm

Laudable Laudrup wrote:Always bottled against English opposition and blamed it on injuries & refereeing. Enough reason for English fans to wind up Bluey.

They didn't bottle it. Their midfield just wasn't good enough.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Post by Jaime Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:42 pm

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:
    COTR #6 wrote:
    bluenine wrote:

Very good Razz

Depends what you mean by big game? Would you consider round of 16 matches against Ajax and Porto as big games? if not, then probably the 5-1 over Valencia in 2004.

Wasn't that in the group stages?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:11 am