Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
bluenine
Kroos
anglophileHedgehog
Tweesus
blutgraetsche
Axeslammer
Pras_tama
11 posters

Your World Cup n Euro favourite moments

Pras_tama
    Pras_tama

Number of posts : 2101
    Supports : Manchester United & Indonesia NT
    Favourite Player : Scholes
    Registration date : 2008-11-28

Your World Cup n Euro favourite moments Empty Your World Cup n Euro favourite moments

Post by Pras_tama Thu May 20, 2010 4:01 pm

WORLD CUP:
    1. Holland 2-1 Argentina (98)
    2. Beckham scored against Colombia (98) and Argentina (02)
    3. Brazil v Holland (98)

EURO:
    1. Holland 3-1 Germany (92)
    2. Czech 2-1 Germany (04)
    3. Czech v Holland (04)
    4. Holland beat Sweden on penalties (04)
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Your World Cup n Euro favourite moments Empty Re: Your World Cup n Euro favourite moments

Post by Axeslammer Thu May 20, 2010 4:03 pm

SLG wrote:

Make that the Czech B team against the German A team who had to win Laugh
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Your World Cup n Euro favourite moments Empty Re: Your World Cup n Euro favourite moments

Post by Axeslammer Thu May 20, 2010 4:04 pm

SLG wrote:
    3. Czech v Holland (04)

My favorite match by a country mile : best football I have *ever* seen ok
    Pras_tama
    Pras_tama

Post by Pras_tama Thu May 20, 2010 4:20 pm

Axeslammer wrote:
    SLG wrote:

Make that the Czech B team against the German A team who had to win Laugh

German A scored first but ended losing and out,,WHAT A MOMENT!!
    Pras_tama
    Pras_tama

Post by Pras_tama Thu May 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Axeslammer wrote:
    SLG wrote:
    3. Czech v Holland (04)

I still don't understand why advocaat took Robben off rather than Van der meyde,,Robben played like a train
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Thu May 20, 2010 4:23 pm

That a perfect summary for the Dutch WC and (to a lesser extent) Euro history: 'Moments'.

We let titles speak for themselves. Moments vs. eternity. Ale
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Tweesus Thu May 20, 2010 4:26 pm

- Platt's goal againt Belgium in injury time
    - Ireland beating Romania on penalties
    - the e[icness that was the quarter final game against Cameroon

- Ray Houghton against Italy
    - John Aldridge shouting on the touchline
    - Stoichkov simply being awesome

- Michael Owen's wonder goal against Argentina
    - Darren Anderton's wonde goal against Colombia(?)
    - Bergkamp's goal against Holland

- Beckham's penalty against the Argies
    - Owen's goal against Brazil
    - Germany losing in the fina cheers

- Joe Cole's wonder goal against Sweden
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Post by Axeslammer Thu May 20, 2010 4:27 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:

We let titles speak for themselves. Moments vs. eternity. Ale

The funny thing is, all you have are titles : no one remembers German players or matches. It's all filed under "another hideous German win", whereas with the Dutch people can name players, goals and matches.

So *we* have eternity, you have the moments.

Style trumps substance every time Ale
    anglophileHedgehog
    anglophileHedgehog

Number of posts : 4934
    Supports : VfB Stuttgart

Post by anglophileHedgehog Thu May 20, 2010 4:31 pm

2006: Portugal - Holland: Deco, van Bronckhorst and Boulah sitting on the steps together after being sent off. Laughing
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Thu May 20, 2010 4:32 pm

lol!

What utter, utter nonsense, even from a Dutchman. The best World Cup match ever, as voted by FiFA and shared by the vast majority of neutral football fans was the 1970 semi final between Italy and Germany, the 'game of the century'. The second best WC game ever involved Germany also, the semi final against France in 1982.

Add numerous other brilliant matches and 'moments', and I probably would still be writing tomorrow if I had to write them all down. 'Moments' is all you've got, we have eternity.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Post by Axeslammer Thu May 20, 2010 5:37 pm

That explains why no one ever has a German for favorite player or wants to be like Germany.

Keep on deluding yourself ok

Judging by you Otto and Özil, Germany will win world title after title in that category for years to come Laugh
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Thu May 20, 2010 5:43 pm

That makes absolutely no sense. This thread is about the past, hence "WC moments", stuff that already happened you know. Didn't know that you can even predict the future.

I take it that this board is highly representative. It's easier to find a Christian in Mekka than a Germany fan, or even sympathiser on here who isn't German / Germany related. Ask the same question elsewhere and people will flood you with favourite German players, past and future. It's part of the Dutch delusion and denial to claim otherwise, just so you can gloss over all the bitter moments in you history and have something, anything to make you feel better.
    Kroos
    Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
    Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
    Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan

Post by Kroos Thu May 20, 2010 5:47 pm

i am always happy when england crys after a penalty shootout, so i found my love to portugal
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine Thu May 20, 2010 5:54 pm

1986: Platini's goal in the QF against Brasil.... what a game, one of the best I've ever seen

1990: Baggio goal against Czechs on his WC debut... what a goal, what a way to justify all that hype...

1994: Baggio last minute equaliser against Nigeria, I was watching the game with brasil fans (who disliked Italy) n all of us were screaming with joy!

1998: That penalty, burying the ghosts of 94.... also Zanetti's goal against England is worth a mention.

2002: My fav memory from this shite WC is a non-footballing one... watching the entire population of Daejeon celebrate their win over Italy like they have won the world cup was just amazing. The celebrations grew wilder in Seoul, all thru the night.

2006: Grosso's goal against Germany gotta be the best moment for moi... what a time for a goal!
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny Thu May 20, 2010 5:55 pm

I have to say Blut - and this has nothing to do with being anti-German or any other nonsense - that for all of Germany's titles and successes, it's hard for anyone to claim they somehow reinvented or wowed the world with a new or innovative brand of football.

That's not to say the German side was boring - the 1970's team was very exciting,

but the Hungarians of the 1950s,

the Brazilians of the late 60's early 70's,

and the Dutch of the mid to late 1970's

brought a style and brand of football that eclipsed anything any other nation was playing at the time. And that includes Germany.

It may not have won these respective teams the titles they deserved, but it lives long in the memory. Just as important a part of footballing history as Germany's impressive World Cup record Ale
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Thu May 20, 2010 6:01 pm

The 1970s team that destroyed England at the Wembley in the 1972 Euros was hailed for playing "football 2000", by the foreign press that is. The Wembley match was seen as the greatest, most intriguing defeat of England since the destruction by the 1950s Hungary team on the same stage.

It's just that people are either ignorant, or in denial about the past. The 3-5-2 system Brian goes on about these days was the backbone of unprecedented German success for more than two decades. Yes, the Germans perfected it and won numerous titles with it.

It all depends on who you ask.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag

Post by Isco Benny Thu May 20, 2010 6:17 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:The 1970s team that destroyed England at the Wembley in the 1972 Euros was hailed for playing "football 2000", by the foreign press that is. The Wembley match was seen as the greatest, most intriguing defeat of England since the destruction by the 1950s Hungary team on the same stage.

It's just that people are either ignorant, or in denial about the past. The 3-5-2 system Brian goes on about these days was the backbone of unprecedented German success for more than two decades. Yes, the Germans perfected it and won numerous titles with it.

It all depends on who you ask.

The team that beat us 3-1 at Wembley? Hardly a destruction. The Hungarians won 6-3 then 7-1 on their own patch. That Hungarian team also beat Germany 8-3 in the group stages of the 1954 World Cup.

I'm not arguing that Germany played some great football in the past - but listen to most people outside of Germany and they tend to say the same thing - the teams people remember are Hungary, Holland and Brazil when it comes to reinventing the game. This one you lot can't blame on the English for somehow refusing to accept it - ask anyone who isn't German Ale
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Thu May 20, 2010 6:28 pm

3-1 didn't do the game justice. It was not just the result, but how they played England (a strong England I might add) off the park, the kind of football they played during the whole tournament. England's traditional "kick'n'rush" was found out, that's how the English press in particular saw it. Just google it if you don't believe me.

Reinventing the game? The Italians had at least as much influence on the game as those you mentioned. Germany's 1970s side was one of the very best ever, the only side so far that managed to win the WC after winning the Euros, playing great football.

I did ask many people abroad, and believe me that this board is an exception.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Thu May 20, 2010 7:06 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:3-1 didn't do the game justice. It was not just the result, but how they played England (a strong England I might add) off the park, the kind of football they played during the whole tournament. England's traditional "kick'n'rush" was found out, that's how the English press in particular saw it. Just google it if you don't believe me.

Reinventing the game? The Italians had at least as much influence on the game as those you mentioned. Germany's 1970s side was one of the very best ever, the only side so far that managed to win the WC after winning the Euros, playing great football.

I did ask many people abroad, and believe me that this board is an exception.

It's always been all or nothing with our press - I'm sorry, but just as I don't buy it when they say we are the best team ever, I've never bought it when they said we were the worst team ever either.

Anyway, don't want to keep this one going on and on, suffice to say the reason I brought this up was that - despite it being ritual banter between you and Axe - the Dutch have every right to look back with fondness about their World Cup memories. For despite not having as many titles as Germany, they have more than matched the rest of the World with imprinting their style of football.

Besides, 2 World Cup finals and 1 European Championship victory for a country the size of the Netherlands should really never be written off as meaningless in the context of substance in my opinion Ale
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Thu May 20, 2010 7:12 pm

World Cup:
    *Roberto Baggio v Czechoslovakia (Italy 1990)
    *Míchel v South Korea (Italy 1990)
    *Germany v Holland (Italy 1990)
    *England v Cameroon (Italy 1990)
    *Brasil v Holland (USA 1994)
    *Argentina v England (France 1998)
    *Brasil v Denmark (France 1998)
    *Mendieta last penalty v Ireland (Korea/Japan 2002)
    *Ronaldo. (Korea/Japan 2002)
    *Cambiasso v Serbia (Germany 2006)

Euros
    *van Basten v England (W. Germany 1988)
    *England v Holland (England 1996)
    *Gascoigne v Scotland (England 1996)
    *Poborsky v Portugal (England 1996)
    *Spain v Serbia (Holland/Belgium 2000)
    *Zidane. (Holland/Belgium 2000)
    *Holland v Czech Republic (Portugal 2004)
    *Spain v Germany (Austria/Switzerland 2008)
    Barrilete
    Barrilete

Number of posts : 2336
    Supports : Club Atlético Boca Juniors
    Favourite Player : Maxi Lopez, aka, TWD (The White Drogba)

Post by Barrilete Thu May 20, 2010 7:17 pm

1990 My first WC, I can only remeber two things clearly:
    1-Caniggia scoring against Brazil and knocking them out.
    2-Goycochea saving our arses againt Italy and leaving them out of the WC final

That goal against greece, with Maradona, Redondo, Caniggia and Bati passing the ball like it was futsal
    Victory over Nigeria with two goals from Cannigia, I really thought after that game that we would go all the way and win the tournament. So naive...

Zanetti free kick goal againt England in last 16 and the following penalty shootout...Roa ok

The entire game against Serbia&Montenegro
    Maxi's goal againt Mexico
    Puro
    Puro

Number of posts : 10679
    Registration date : 2006-09-12

Post by Puro Thu May 20, 2010 11:14 pm

Axeslammer wrote:
    SLG wrote:
    3. Czech v Holland (04)

Shut the fuck up Fat Boy! That game highlights why the Euro competition must be scrutinized, and that it is mostly hype. Two teams who couldn't defend for shite. The Czechs get eliminated in the ensuing World Cup in the group stage, and the Dutchies fail to beat Portugal...yet again! KO by Portugal Fat Boy!

"Best football I have *ever* seen" Laugh
    Pras_tama
    Pras_tama

Post by Pras_tama Fri May 21, 2010 12:49 am

Alberto wrote:
    Axeslammer wrote:
    SLG wrote:
    3. Czech v Holland (04)

Shut the fuck up Fat Boy! That game highlights why the Euro competition must be scrutinized, and that it is mostly hype. Two teams who couldn't defend for shite. The Czechs get eliminated in the ensuing World Cup in the group stage, and the Dutchies fail to beat Portugal...yet again! KO by Portugal Fat Boy!

"Best football I have *ever* seen" Laugh

He said best football not the best team of world football,,btw, did you watch that game?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:07 pm