Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
blutgraetsche
Aristoskank
Murray
Sheffield gunner
debaser
Isco Benny
Kimbo
Glenarch of the Glen
Puro
13 posters

SCOTS, WELSH, N. IRISH SAY "FUCK YOU" TO ENGLAND???

Puro
    Puro

Number of posts : 10679
    Registration date : 2006-09-12

SCOTS, WELSH, N. IRISH SAY "FUCK YOU" TO ENGLAND??? Empty SCOTS, WELSH, N. IRISH SAY "FUCK YOU" TO ENGLAND???

Post by Puro Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:08 pm

What's that all about? There are some serious regional rivalries in different countries that even end up with blood spilled such as in España (admittedly they just finally came together as ONE team), Perú, Colombia...that's as 'many' examples as I know Biggrin but what's the deal with them Scots, Welsh, N. Irish to play in one Great Britain team in football?

Concerned that the English will swallow their countries whole in the not so distant future thus losing their 'independence' and more importantly, IDENTITY?

Fully aware that the English will pick mostly English players even though most of them have absolutely nothing on Scottish, Welsh, and N. Irish players? The only non-English players would be Bale, McGeady (might not be even picked at all), Fletcher, Hughes, Bellamy.

???[b]

Last edited by Puro on Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

SCOTS, WELSH, N. IRISH SAY "FUCK YOU" TO ENGLAND??? Empty Re: SCOTS, WELSH, N. IRISH SAY "FUCK YOU" TO ENGLAND???

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:13 pm

they're worried that they will lose their seat on the International Football Association Board and instead just one seat would be given to the British. You're always going to vote 'No' if it means you could lose your job.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

SCOTS, WELSH, N. IRISH SAY "FUCK YOU" TO ENGLAND??? Empty Re: SCOTS, WELSH, N. IRISH SAY "FUCK YOU" TO ENGLAND???

Post by Kimbo Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:20 pm

From what i've heard the scotch etc don't care if their players play in the olympics, it's just politicians causing trouble. If i was someone like Bale i would tell the Welsh FA to fuck themselves, they aren't his keeper, if he wants to play for GB then he should do so.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:27 pm

http://www.football365.com/f365-says/7000413/F365-Focus

Surely Bale Will Follow Olympic Dream

The other FAs might be kicking up a fuss but if non-English players like Gareth Bale are selected for the GB Olympics team and want to play then there's sod all they can do to stop them...

International football began in 1872 when England first played Scotland; I forget the score. But the centrality of the contests between Anglos and Celts of various persuasions to the game's past is renowned and FIFA have stressed time and again that the future separate status of the four Home Nations will not be put in doubt by the one-off fielding of Great Britain teams at the 2012 Olympics. So why all the fuss when the British Olympic Association set in train the process that will lead to the selection of men's and women's squads?

"All four associations have received a written assurance from FIFA that participation in the 2012 Olympic football tournament will in no way compromise their autonomy and independence for other FIFA-sanctioned tournaments, or impact on their positions of leadership within the FIFA governance structure," the BOA said. The last is a reference chiefly to the International Football Association Board, which writes the laws of the game and whose nine members include representatives of each of the Home Nations.

However the Scottish say no, the Welsh say no and, not for the first time, Ulster says no, the three FAs competing to object in the strongest terms to the "historic agreement" the BOA announced, then collectively condemning the claim that "the [English] FA has consulted with its partner associations in developing the player-selection criteria and timeline".

The combined statement said: "The Football Associations of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland reiterate our collective opposition to Team GB participation at the 2012 Olympic Games in London, contrary to the media release issued by the BOA. We have been consistently clear in explaining the reason for our stance, principally to protect the identity of each national association. With that in mind, we cannot support nor formally endorse the approach that has been proposed by the Football Association."

Yet to a degree all this is bluster: while the three FAs can try to influence individuals, the decisions over participation in the 18-strong squads will be down to the players themselves. Now with the players to be under-23s, with three exceptions, the desirability of teaming up with England's youth may seem of limited appeal to anyone who watched the Under-21s in Denmark (especially the 0-0 draw with Ukraine, perhaps modelled on that first Scotland v England game - OK, I looked it up). Yet as Gareth Bale, who if fit would surely be the first name selected, said in March: "I want to play in the Olympics. I think it would be a great experience."

The Celts come from a position of weakness. Wales lost narrowly to Russia in a play-off for Euro 2004; Scotland, after a home win, were thumped by Holland at the same stage. Northern Ireland, qualifiers at successive World Cups in the 80s, have had barely a sniff of qualification since the mid-90s. Bale said: "At the moment Wales haven't qualified for a major tournament in I don't know how many years so it would be nice to play in one against the best countries in the world."

In times past the FAs might have tried to impose sanctions on players who took Bale's line but these days they would be in court before you could say "restraint of trade". Stewart Regan, the chief executive of the Scottish Football Association, said through gritted teeth: "Legally we cannot stop players being selected."

Players will be asked, without fear of sanction, not to play by their FAs and some may be fearful of the reactions of supporters. But less than a month after the Games, full national sides will be playing World Cup qualifiers and traditional allegiances will surely kick in quickly; no teams, least of all the impoverished Celtic trio, can afford to turn against the best of their young players (and only the best would stand a chance of selection).

Perhaps underlying the official opposition is an easy truth: that a player who turns out for Team GB can atone for any sense of brief betrayal in national colours, but no administrator can so easily win back hearts. And by making so much noise no one at FIFA will get the idea that positions are in any regard weakening.

Whether anyone from the SFA, the FAW or the IFA will come and watch, and whether 'home' fans at the Millennium Stadium and Hampden, both 2012 venues, will cheer the opposition remains to be seen and heard. But talented individuals if approached will surely follow Bale's apparent lead. The Celts' best hope of deterring their male players from agreeing to participate may be discreetly championing the selection of Stuart Pearce as coach, but the chance - however slim - of Olympic glory would surely be too much to turn down.

--------------------------------------------------------
    Some comments below:

The anti-english sentiment from some of the home nations supporters is incredibly boring. Being half scottish myself i often find filled with self-loathing while cheering on england, it would be nice to see a national side i can truly support - Scotch

I have a fair few celt's as mates. I think my rugby loving welsh mate, hates the English rugby team more than anything, but come a British & Irish Lions tour, he's fully behind them. Why then for an olympics can't they put aside their hatred. If the Irish can in Rugby, surely the Scots and Welsh can do it for a couple of weeks at an olympics. Let's be honest this isn't golf, so NI participants aren't likely play, but as long as there's a split of players, i think it could be great fun. As i see it there are allowed to be 3 overage players. these should be split. You could have Rooney, Charlie Adam and Ryan Giggs. Maybe Martin O'Neill could manage it as the NI contingent. You could then have a real competition for places as it's under 23. Surely a midfield containing Charlie Adam, Jack Wilshire, Gareth Bale or Ryan Giggs would have a great chance of keeping the ball on the ground and actually playing some entertaining stuff in a tournament. Something all 4 home nations have missed of late. Who knows if everyone embraces it, it may even raise a smile North of the border! Ale

In short, nothing really to do with the fans or players. This is about old men in the Celtic FA's worrying about their jobs.
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:34 pm

Glenneth Paltrow wrote:they're worried that they will lose their seat on the International Football Association Board and instead just one seat would be given to the British. You're always going to vote 'No' if it means you could lose your job.

Alright! fair enough, lots of politics, not surprised. It's them old farts who don't want to leave their seats, contribute fuck all, but don't want to lose their power.

Who would be your Great Britain starting XI then? question goes for anyone and everyone.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:36 pm

Puro wrote:
    Glenneth Paltrow wrote:they're worried that they will lose their seat on the International Football Association Board and instead just one seat would be given to the British. You're always going to vote 'No' if it means you could lose your job.

Alright! fair enough, lots of politics, not surprised. It's them old farts who don't want to leave their seats, contribute fuck all, but don't want to lose their power.

Who would be your Great Britain starting XI then? question goes for anyone and everyone.

They wouldn't lose their power anyway, they're just being paranoid.
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:36 pm

Kimbo wrote:From what i've heard the scotch etc don't care if their players play in the olympics, it's just politicians causing trouble. If i was someone like Bale i would tell the Welsh FA to fuck themselves, they aren't his keeper, if he wants to play for GB then he should do so.

Your Great Britain starting XI? I don't want to see eleven English plus Bale. I KNOW that most of them English players have absolutely nothing on the stars from Wales, Scotland, N. Ireland.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag

Post by Isco Benny Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:12 pm

Puro wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:From what i've heard the scotch etc don't care if their players play in the olympics, it's just politicians causing trouble. If i was someone like Bale i would tell the Welsh FA to fuck themselves, they aren't his keeper, if he wants to play for GB then he should do so.

Your Great Britain starting XI? I don't want to see eleven English plus Bale. I KNOW that most of them English players have absolutely nothing on the stars from Wales, Scotland, N. Ireland.

Laughing

---------------------Hart(Englander)

Richards(Englander)----Jones (Englander)-Smalling (Englander)-----Rose(Englander)

-----------Wilshere(Englander)------------Ramsey (Welshy)----
    ----------------------- Adam (Scotch - over 23)--------------

-A Johnson (Englander)-----------------------------Bale (Welshy
    -------------------------Sturridge (Englander)----------------

Over 23's: Giggs, Rooney, Adam

Puro - if you don't agree, please feel free to offer up who else from the Celtic nations can add value to this team. I'd be very interested

Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:38 pm

I don't know their ages, but this 'forbidden to shine by the media as their English counterparts' team would beat any English team.

-----------------------------------Gordon----------------------------

Hutton------------------Berra--------------Caldwell----------Commons

------------------------Fletcher-----------Adam----------------

McGeady---------------------------Ramsey--------------------Bale

---------------------------------Bellamy---------------------------

Last edited by Puro on Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:39 pm

Puro wrote:

Incase you haven't noticed Wales, Scotland, and NI are shite.

I would base my team on next seasons performances. Someone like Carroll for example should be in the team, but his career isn't looking so rosy since he made the mistake of joining Liverpool.

If i picked now...

-------------------Forster-------------------

Richards--Hughes--Smalling--Cole

Adam---Wiltshere---Ramsey---Bale

------------Sturridge--Carroll------------

Welbeck

Over 23's: Hughes, Cole, Adam

Other players from the provinces that could or should make the squad: Chris Gunter, Shane Ferguson, Neil Taylor, Barry Bannan
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:41 pm

Noah und der Bale wrote:
    Puro wrote:

Laughing

---------------------Hart(Englander)

Richards(Englander)----Jones (Englander)-Smalling (Englander)-----Rose(Englander)

-----------Wilshere(Englander)------------Ramsey (Welshy)----
    ----------------------- Adam (Scotch - over 23)--------------

-A Johnson (Englander)-----------------------------Bale (Welshy
    -------------------------Sturridge (Englander)----------------

Over 23's: Giggs, Rooney, Adam

Puro - if you don't agree, please feel free to offer up who else from the Celtic nations can add value to this team. I'd be very interested

I'm not totally familiar with the rules, are you allowed 5 over 23's?
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:42 pm

Barry Ferguson: FORBIDDEN TO SHINE lol! lol! lol!

--

As it's U23, the good Barry can play: Ramsey-Wilshere-Bannan midfield Ale
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
    Supports : Arsenal
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Sheffield gunner Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:48 pm

Out of interest Puro, can you actually name a single player from N Ireland? No cheating or using Google.

Is Commons a left-back? I thought he played on the wing, but it's not as if I waste too much of my time watching Scottish football. Anyway, he is actually English - this challenge might be even more difficult if you only pick actual Scots, Welshmen and Irishmen rather than those who play for them because they aren't good enough for England.
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:52 pm

Sheffield gunner wrote:Out of interest Puro, can you actually name a single player from N Ireland? No cheating or using Google.

Is Commons a left-back? I thought he played on the wing, but it's not as if I waste too much of my time watching Scottish football. Anyway, he is actually English - this challenge might be even more difficult if you only pick actual Scots, Welshmen and Irishmen rather than those who play for them because they aren't good enough for England.

I think Hughes, Evans, Healey are from Ulster. I may be wrong though. Embarassed
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:54 pm

Sheffield gunner wrote:Out of interest Puro, can you actually name a single player from N Ireland? No cheating or using Google.

If this guy doesn't play i'm not interested.

SCOTS, WELSH, N. IRISH SAY "FUCK YOU" TO ENGLAND??? Shane-ferguson-163386027
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:57 pm

Kimbo wrote:

If this guy doesn't play i'm not interested.

SCOTS, WELSH, N. IRISH SAY "FUCK YOU" TO ENGLAND??? Shane-ferguson-163386027

He looks like a young Barry Ferguson, when did he play for Newcastle?
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10247

Post by Murray Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:44 pm

Puro wrote:I don't know their ages, but this 'forbidden to shine by the media as their English counterparts' team would beat any English team.

-----------------------------------Gordon----------------------------

Hutton------------------Berra--------------Caldwell----------Commons

------------------------Fletcher-----------Adam----------------

McGeady---------------------------Ramsey--------------------Bale

---------------------------------Bellamy---------------------------

Way too many Scots in that team, and none of those defenders can defend. They would be massacred.
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:58 pm

Also McGeady, despite being Scottish, plays for Republic of Ireland so surely wouldn't be eligible.
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by Aristoskank Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:44 pm

Puro wrote:

I think Hughes, Evans, Healey are from Ulster. I may be wrong though. Embarassed

Yes, those well-known Northern Irish names Hughes and Evans.

Erm

I love how you are championing Northern Ireland despite
    a) them being the laughing stock of international football
    b) them only existing due to cow-towing to the corrupt English fuckos you profess to hate

Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:18 pm

Its also quite amusing that Puro suggests the Celtic players are ignored by the Engkish media, yet Adam and Bale in particular were two of the most consistently hyped players in the league last season
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:45 pm

It's about damn time that Britain has one team, maybe you'll win something again in forseeable future, would make it more likely at least. If the U23 side does well in the Olympics, maybe the pressure will increase on this issue.

And don't worry, if they don't, they're Scottish or Welsh again, you know the drill. Win-win situation. Wink Ale
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:13 pm

Patronisinggerman should be a new word added to the dictionary Laughing
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:17 pm

You can lead a horse to water...

...but you can't prevent it from peeing in it!

That's some patronising German philosophy for you. If a German says something it's always 'patronising', innit? If a Latin dude says you're shit, you even kiss his arse for it and ask him how you need to grease your legs to become as sleek...
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:59 pm

"Patronising" can translate as the "unrequited truth". So don't get your lederhosen in a twist would be my advice.

Incidentally, what is Germany's record like in olympics fussball?

debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:46 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:If a German says something it's always 'patronising', innit?

That or incomprehensible Ale
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:21 am

Who cares about Olympics Fußball? Ok, maybe some obscure FAs who invented a sport that initially was seen as an alternative to skeet shooting, a definition not shared by many others who adopted the game later on and prefered to keep the ball on the ground. Ale

Olympics are fine, olympics football is a bit pointless. Never even watch those matches.
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Number of posts : 8098
    Supports : Deutschland, Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jens Lehmann

Post by Allez les rouges Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:25 am

blutgraetsche wrote:It's about damn time that Britain has one team, maybe you'll win something again in forseeable future, would make it more likely at least. If the U23 side does well in the Olympics, maybe the pressure will increase on this issue.

And don't worry, if they don't, they're Scottish or Welsh again, you know the drill. Win-win situation. Wink Ale

Poor show Blut. I expect this from the United People's Democratic Republico-Monarchy of Benelux, less so from you.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:32 am

Ach geh Allez (es reimt sich!). Why a united country and 3 (4) different FAs? Either split up or unite, both on and off the pitch!

Even the Spanish managed to do so, they don't even speak the same language! For the outsiders, it's always England representing the UK in football anyway, so maybe it's about time for the others to do something about it and improve the image.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:49 am

These countries should feel privileged we would even want their smelly footballers in the same side as ours.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:55 am

I remember hearing a typically misguided quote (regarding the subject) from a Welsh fella on the BBC radio saying that the English never made the effort to learn Welsh so how would a GB team work when you'd have chants representative of each individual country. As someone quipped, neither have the Welsh when only 20% of them actually speak it anyway.

The opposition to this is mostly Political, and backed by some heavily ingrained small minded mentality of certain football fans who can't rise above the petty nationalistic feuding and do what every other Olympic sport and fan has managed and come together for 1 month under the British flag.

Gareth Bale has already stated he wants to play. So it may just end up England + Bale, which is fine by me. Players like Adam, Ramsey etc - their loss given the likelihood is they will never compete on a global International stage if they turn this opportunity down just to sasify some old grumps in their respective FA's

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 8:55 pm