Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
messiah
bluenine
Glenarch of the Glen
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!
Hlebagone
Fey
Axeslammer
Isco Benny
Fade out
Pras_tama
Kroos
Jaime
16 posters

Cristiano Ronaldo

Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Cristiano Ronaldo Empty Cristiano Ronaldo

Post by Jaime Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:48 am

I realize I am probably still a little bitter over how things finished yesterday. But is there anyone who still rates Ronaldo as one of the best players in the world? I understand he scores a lot of goals, but when you see him time and time again give a completely anonymous performance in a big game I struggle to come up with arguments for him. The contrast is even more stark when you see him compared to Messi, Iniesta, Alexis, etc.

Anyone want to stick up for CR96?
    Kroos
    Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
    Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
    Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Cristiano Ronaldo Empty Re: Cristiano Ronaldo

Post by Kroos Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:36 am

never rated him as the 2nd best player in the world

i wouldn`t want him for bayern, its good to have an goals scoring type in your team, but a player which tends to monopolize in every area on the pitch (hes the most useless freekick taker on planet, he wastes so many opportunities with stupid shots, hes shot/goal ratio is probably the worst from all world class footballers) thats not good for a team

Pras_tama
    Pras_tama

Number of posts : 2101
    Supports : Manchester United & Indonesia NT
    Favourite Player : Scholes
    Registration date : 2008-11-28

Post by Pras_tama Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:42 am

I'll be happy to have him back at Man United
    Fade out
    Fade out

Number of posts : 6128
    Favourite Player : Baggio (he outshone Zidane when played together at Juve)
    Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Fade out Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:26 am

But for the fact he was able to outjump Essien, he will always be a big game bottler. He's a player who will win you league games. He wants to score goals for himself. That remains his biggest motivation. Wanting to be a superstar, that it turns out bad now & again that he will be seen as a poseur.

Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:28 am

Ronaldo has always been a bit of a fraud. He's scores plenty of goals, but is that a surprise when he monopolises the final ball at every club he has played in? The end game with Ronaldo more often than is he gets the ball and he shoots. The fact he also takes all free kicks is infuriating, because he's crap at them. The question has to be asked though why managers like Fergie and Mourinho allow him to stamp such an authority in these situations. I guess they recognise his will to score can and should be an asset, but more often than not he ends up looking particularly silly when playing the very best.

Ronaldo a flat track bully? Almost certainly.

Will never hold a candle to the real Ronaldo, who would consistently destroy the very best in the biggest games week in, week out.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:46 pm

never rated him anyway Ale
    Jaime
    Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:15 pm

Noah und der Bale wrote:Ronaldo has always been a bit of a fraud. He's scores plenty of goals, but is that a surprise when he monopolises the final ball at every club he has played in? The end game with Ronaldo more often than is he gets the ball and he shoots. The fact he also takes all free kicks is infuriating, because he's crap at them. The question has to be asked though why managers like Fergie and Mourinho allow him to stamp such an authority in these situations. I guess they recognise his will to score can and should be an asset, but more often than not he ends up looking particularly silly when playing the very best.

Will never hold a candle to the real Ronaldo, who would consistently destroy the very best in the biggest games week in, week out.

Just seen that this season he is 0 for 32 direct free kicks in la liga. Laughing

Beyond that though, his crossing ain't that good, he can't dribble anyone, I've never seen him make a through pass. He is good at doing 4 stepovers and then making a backwards heal pass to Marcelo... Erm
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Does this mean that after Messi, RVP is the best?

Would Madrid fans swap Ronaldo for RVP?

Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Number of posts : 6086
    Registration date : 2007-03-17

Post by Hlebagone Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:36 pm

After Messi? You've changed Fey.

My favourite Ronaldo season was the one before he scored 30 goals for United. Actually played as part of the team, and did unpredictable things. Now he's just dull to watch at the best of times, and poor in important games due to his infatuation of proving himself a better player than Messi.

Number of posts : 4759
    Supports : Italia and Milan
    Registration date : 2007-05-10

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:49 pm

Jaime wrote:
    Noah und der Bale wrote:Ronaldo has always been a bit of a fraud. He's scores plenty of goals, but is that a surprise when he monopolises the final ball at every club he has played in? The end game with Ronaldo more often than is he gets the ball and he shoots. The fact he also takes all free kicks is infuriating, because he's crap at them. The question has to be asked though why managers like Fergie and Mourinho allow him to stamp such an authority in these situations. I guess they recognise his will to score can and should be an asset, but more often than not he ends up looking particularly silly when playing the very best.

Just seen that this season he is 0 for 32 direct free kicks in la liga. Laughing

Beyond that though, his crossing ain't that good, he can't dribble anyone, I've never seen him make a through pass. He is good at doing 4 stepovers and then making a backwards heal pass to Marcelo... Erm

This is what I was going to write as well. Perhaps his game doesn't require it, but many argue that he is a complete footballer, and even though Messi is better, he isn't complete. I don't understand why people have to strain so much to accommodate C. Ronaldo. He hasn't really really done it for Portugal either.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Post by Jaime Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:15 pm

Hlebagone wrote:After Messi? You've changed Fey.

My favourite Ronaldo season was the one before he scored 30 goals for United. Actually played as part of the team, and did unpredictable things. Now he's just dull to watch at the best of times, and poor in important games due to his infatuation of proving himself a better player than Messi.

Ale
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:22 pm

the balance of the Madrid team on Saturday was horrible for the last half hour, Cronaldo, Kaka, Benzema and Higuain all wanting to own the same space on the edge of the area, and just when you thought it couldn't get more congested Marcelo decides that rather than provide some width in the acres of space down the left, he wants to join the rest in the centre to make sure they're not talking about how shit he is defensively.

I'll stick up for Ronaldo, he's still very good but he's a false 7. He'd be awesome if he played for Barcelona instead of Fabregas. The most frustrating player for me was Marcelo, Mourinho should have done something about him.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti

Post by bluenine Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:58 pm

To me CR was never as good as Messi, or even the old Kaka of Milan. But I guess the criticism he is getting now is also overboard, he is still an excellent player and among the best on the planet. Scores a lot of goals, and brings intensity into the game.

Last weekend he looked switched off, that happens.
    messiah
    messiah

Number of posts : 3084
    Registration date : 2011-11-03

Post by messiah Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:47 pm

People finally starting to see the light
    Jaime
    Jaime

Post by Jaime Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:10 pm

bluenine wrote:To me CR was never as good as Messi, or even the old Kaka of Milan. But I guess the criticism he is getting now is also overboard, he is still an excellent player and among the best on the planet. Scores a lot of goals, and brings intensity into the game.

Last weekend he looked switched off, that happens.

I am curious to know what you mean by this exactly.
    Fade out
    Fade out

Post by Fade out Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:23 pm

He's meaning the face gestures that he puts on almost telepathically when the cameras are pointing towards him.
    shazlx
    shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
    Supports : Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
    Registration date : 2006-11-08

Post by shazlx Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:30 pm

I only rate him for the 06-7 season. Even then he was the second best player at ManU after Scholes and the 3rd best player in the league after Drogba. After that, he's just been a very athletic merger of Lampard a RVN.
    Fade out
    Fade out

Post by Fade out Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:32 pm

His toe-poke is so hit/miss. His knuckle ball free-kicks are almost always miss. Ale
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:29 pm

Noah und der Bale wrote:The fact he also takes all free kicks is infuriating, because he's crap at them.

I bet Mendes had it put into his contract. The Portuguese clan controls Real Madrid.
    worms.

Number of posts : 5010
    Supports : BALENCE, PROGRESS, Us(Liverpool), Us(Barcelona) ,Us(Lazio), Us(Napoli), Us(Athletic Club), Us(Valencia), Us(Zenit St Petersburg), Us(Russia), Us(Uruguay), Us(España)!
    Favourite Player : Goldado,Zlatan,Robben aka The Bald Prince, Busquets has now won the Euro's x1, World Cup x1, La Liga x3, UCL x2, Coppa DR x2, UEFA SC x2, Club World Cup x2. At the age of 23
    Registration date : 2011-12-07

Post by worms. Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:22 pm

Alonso must hate him,he is much better than Cronaldo at free kicks.

0 goals in 32 attempts is a disgrace,how long before Madrid fans start booing him if his free kicks continue to hit he wall/fly over the bar?
    NeoChap

Number of posts : 59
    Registration date : 2010-11-27

Post by NeoChap Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:13 pm

It's hardly a strong defence, but his free kick stats are surely worse than they should be because of his tendency to take them from stupid and inappropriate positions, and to use his punting technique in situations where it is unlikely to succeed.

I do think he's one of the most gifted players in the game (including physical aspects of course), and he's demonstrated his ability to acquire skills through application. Passing doesn't seem to interest him much, but his ability to play sharp and well-weighted balls on the counterattack is a big asset (even if he only acquired that knack on the assumption that by doing so he could collect a return pass and shoot).

A shame that his selfishness limits him - it's a case of a player with the capacity to do a lot of things developing himself into a single purpose footballer. Would still improve a good number of big teams.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:06 am