Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Luis
messiah
Fey
The Chosen Glenn
COTR
BoBo Vieri 32
10 posters

Rodgers' Liverpool vs Benitez's Liverpool

BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Rodgers' Liverpool vs Benitez's Liverpool Empty Rodgers' Liverpool vs Benitez's Liverpool

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:14 pm

Which one do you think was better?
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Rodgers' Liverpool vs Benitez's Liverpool Empty Re: Rodgers' Liverpool vs Benitez's Liverpool

Post by COTR Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:30 pm

Tough one actually

Benitez got a team to consistently be one of the best sides in Europe, I'm not sure Rodgers will be able to match those achievements but we'll get the chance to find out soon.

On the other side, Benitez only got close to winning the league once while Rodgers has done it pretty much immediately.

Football wise, watching Alonso, Gerrard and Mascherano together was amazing and no need to point out what is so good at the current team.

Conclusion is that it is too early to tell. In a one off match I don't know who I would back to win. Rafa usually had an answer but SASAS is proving pretty damn hard to defend against for everyone.
    The Chosen Glenn
    The Chosen Glenn

Number of posts : 3795
    Registration date : 2012-03-22

Rodgers' Liverpool vs Benitez's Liverpool Empty Re: Rodgers' Liverpool vs Benitez's Liverpool

Post by The Chosen Glenn Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:53 pm

too early to say ok

hopefully Rodgers'.
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Fey Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:44 pm

ATM Benitez, his side was one of the best in Europe, but on the other hand it was a complete snoozefest at times with not many goals, cue cotr with his besiktas 8-0, I think he almost won the league when opponents were a lot stronger, thats for sure. Many teams are in transition, well except for Arsenal being 4th place material, thats still the same.
    messiah
    messiah

Number of posts : 3084
    Registration date : 2011-11-03

Post by messiah Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:52 pm

rodgers
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:53 pm

Benitez was a fat Spanish waiter that played boring football and got lucky every time we won a trophy under him or reached a European Cup final. I thought everyone knew this?
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:11 pm

Fey wrote:ATM Benitez, his side was one of the best in Europe, but on the other hand it was a complete snoozefest at times with not many goals, cue cotr with his besiktas 8-0, I think he almost won the league when opponents were a lot stronger, thats for sure. Many teams are in transition, well except for Arsenal being 4th place material, thats still the same.
     ok 
    Of course the Benitez team was better. This was back when the English empire ruled European football. Now the top teams have deteriorated considerably. Benitez beat the teams in the world with what is the worst team on paper to win Cl, imo. That is far more impressive than winning the English league in its current state.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:14 pm

Maybe the league was better and maybe Rafa's team would win in 2 legged cup tie, but Rafa would not have won the league then, or now, or 20 years ago, or 20 years in the future. If Rodgers wins the league then he has surpassed him for me because he has done something that is literally impossible for Rafa to do.
    Luis
    Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:40 pm

Rafa can only win La Liga titles over Barca and Madrid, he clearly could never win a title with Liverpool and literally would never have done that if he stayed another 50 years. He might have won 14 more European Cups in that time though.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:43 pm

Luis wrote:Rafa can only win La Liga titles over Barca and Madrid, he clearly could never win a title with Liverpool and literally would never have done that if he stayed another 50 years. He might have won 14 more European Cups in that time though.

I don't dispute any of that.
    messiah
    messiah

Number of posts : 3084
    Registration date : 2011-11-03

Post by messiah Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:01 pm

barca and real weren't really barca and real when he won the league to be honest.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:11 pm

Barca perhaps, they had a tough time from 2000-04 after they lost Figo and went through a few managers.

Madrid in 2001/02 was a great side though. Deportivo were also a pretty good side back then.
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115

Post by Roger Hunt Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:32 am

I genuinely think that Benitez was a genius tactically. Particularly for cup-ties he seemed to be able to analyse the opposition and set up to neutralise them so well.

But his problem is man-management, he just seems to alienate people around him and gradually descend into paranoia.

Benitez had better players - I would only pick Suarez, Sterling and Coutinho in a combined team with the 08/09 side - but Rodgers teams play nicer football and he is a more likeable bloke.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:38 pm

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:Barca perhaps, they had a tough time from 2000-04 after they lost Figo and went through a few managers.

Madrid in 2001/02 was a great side though. Deportivo were also a pretty good side back then.
    This was back in the golden age of Spanish football. He won the league twice back then. Incredible and then to win with the worst Cl winners I have seen is even more incredible. In comparison United for the first time is weak and without Ferguson. Chelsea is good but clearly work in progress. City is a good side but hard to make sense of them really. They should be the best side in the league but as Kimbo has pointed out they are not particularly impressing neither in England and even less so in Europe.

Of course it is too early to compare because Rodgers is just getting started with his team. Next season he will compete on several flanks and I doubt they will be able to have such a good season unless they bulk up during the summer.
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:11 pm

Roger Hunt wrote:I genuinely think that Benitez was a genius tactically. Particularly for cup-ties he seemed to be able to analyse the opposition and set up to neutralise them so well.

But his problem is man-management, he just seems to alienate people around him and gradually descend into paranoia.

Benitez had better players - I would only pick Suarez, Sterling and Coutinho in a combined team with the 08/09 side - but Rodgers teams play nicer football and he is a more likeable bloke.

I can't argue with this, though Sturridge would probably start:

Reina (for his first 3 seasons)

Arbeloa
    Carra
    Agger
    Aurelio

Mascherano
    Gerrard
    Alonso

Sturridge
    Suarez
    Torres

I would go for.

I don't think Rafa would have done as well with this current side. Sterling, Sturridge, Flanagan, Henderson and Allen all seem to thrive on man management and the support from the manager. Rafa was never interested in cuddling players, he saw them as chess pieces to win football matches. Rodgers probably wouldn't have done well with the champions league winning team; trying to get players like Biscan, Traore and Baros to play 'death by football' wouldn't of been easy.

The ultimate test will be next season in Europe. If we do the unthinkable and pull off this title Rodgers will go down in history as a Liverpool legend regardless of what happens from then on in but Liverpool fans have a special relationship with the European Cup. We pride ourselves in being able to compete with any club from around the world so Rodgers must master the tactical side of the competition. I think he is learning tactically all the time though , there's been some good examples of him utilising players in the right games during this winning run; he knows when Allen is suited to a game or when Sterling is a better option ahead of Coutinho and vice versa.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:35 pm

Roger Hunt is back??!!

It's like the the Backstreet Boys have reunited cheers
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115

Post by Roger Hunt Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:55 pm

;-)

Just back to gloat while Man U are shit.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 10:34 am