Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+29
S4P
RedDevil
The Easter Bunny
blutgraetsche
Murray
Jaime
Hlebagone
shazlx
Isco Benny
COTR
The Chosen Glenn
Antarion
stinger
ERIK LAMELA
debaser
Fey
DD
Brian 2468
bluenine
110%
BoBo Vieri 32
Roger Hunt
messiah
Pierre Littbarski
Deluded F*ck™
Kimbo
Rosicky
Luis
christmasborocooper
33 posters

The Next England Squad

Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

The Next England Squad - Page 16 Empty Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Kimbo Tue May 31, 2016 4:53 pm

It's not that he's taken the wrong CB's, it's that he hasn't taken enough. 4 fullbacks and 5 strikers, when we play 1 up top, but only 2 fully fit CB's and Cahill, it's such a stupid decision it's like he didn't notice he doesn't have enough of them, he was too busy tugging off over Rashford.
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Tue May 31, 2016 5:08 pm

So which other CBs should he have taken then?
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Tue May 31, 2016 5:18 pm

Even though I don't rate him we may aswell have taken Jagielka, if something bad happens we'll have to push Dier back into CB, that's a terrible option. I could think of others I'd rather play than the Dier option, Dann, Shawcross, Lascelles, anyone really, just take another CB. You can't say "if there's no one particularly good don't take one", it doesn't work like that, as it stands we don't have enough CB's to play a tournament and we're hoping we're lucky with injuries.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Tue May 31, 2016 6:09 pm

Three CBs a risk, but it's a calculated one. 4th choice CB at tournament is probably 2nd only to the 3rd choice keeper in the squad as the least likely player to get on the pitch because it takes 2 injuries/suspensions to need them & you are unlikely to ever bring them on as a tactical change. Last Euros, we had eight defenders and four of them (Jagielka, Jones, Baines & Martin Kelly) didn't get on the pitch in any of the 4 matches.

I think he should've gone for Drinkwater over Henderson based on the latter being a question mark in both form & fitness. Otherwise it's quite nice to see he's gone positive to fit in a good range of attacking options on the bench. Our defence ain't gonna be good enough to keep clean sheets whoever we have as backup but there's potential to outscore teams with the forwards available.

Ultimately, if we get some game like the Italy one at Euro 2012, I'd much rather have us trying to win in extra time with Rashford or Sturridge off the bench (even if it backfires) than try to cling onto a draw with a defensive sub, and the inevitable penalty loss that follows. Whether Hodgson will actually roll the dice in such a situation remains to be seen, but the squad suggests he's more willing to take a risk as prior tournaments.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Tue May 31, 2016 6:27 pm

Not taking Drinkwater and taking Wilshere are the mistakes I think. The centre backs worry me but I don't think we've got many options there. Probably could've taken Jagielka I suppose.

Don't have an issue with the forwards, plenty of pace, goals and flexibility. The midfield is average but there isn't much out there for him to choose. Townsend I can see an argument for as an impact but if it's him or Rashford I'm okay with Rashford.
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Tue May 31, 2016 7:43 pm

My team would be this anyway:

-------------------Hart----------------------------

Clyne----------Stones-------Cahill-------------Rose-----------------

-------------Henderson-------------Milner---------------------------

-------------------------Alli----------------------------------------

-----Sturridge--------------Kane----------------------------Vardy---------------

Obviously Rooney will start so I imagine Sturridge will be on the bench.

If Wilshere can stay fit longer than 1 game I'd have him in for Henderson.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Tue May 31, 2016 7:57 pm

The more I think about the Drinkwater one the more depressing it is, there's literally nothing more he could have done, he doesn't play in a position where we have particularly good players, and the players we do have aren't fit, but all he really gets is a pat on the head from Hodgson.

Anyway my team

-------------------Hart-------------------

Walker--Smalling--Cahill--Rose

-------------------Dier-------------------
    --------Lallana---------Milner--------

--------------------Alli--------------------

-------------Kane---Vardy-------------
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Tue May 31, 2016 10:54 pm

To play devil's advocate with Drinkwater, he's thrived in a settled balanced midfield with Kante alongside him. England have neither a settled balanced midfield or a Kante.

And while we can certainly question including Henderson & Wilshere with injury doubts, they are both a lot more proven at higher level and I can sort of see the thinking of keeping them ahead of him when we're looking at starting Dier and Alli, both very new to international/European football.

Given the dearth of other options coming through, one of Carrick or Barry might've been a sensible backup DM, depressing as that might sound. While neither has particularly shone for England in the past, let's not forget they spent their entire England careers in the shadow of the Lampard-Gerrard shoehorn.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Tue May 31, 2016 10:59 pm

To be honest I still don't get Wilshere, he seems a decent and tidy player, but that's it. It seems he becomes better the more injured he is, and now he's spent an entire season injured he's suddenly vital and world class, I don't remember him being seen this way a year ago.
    Di Caniooooo!

Number of posts : 10829
    Supports : West Ham
    Favourite Player : Paolo Di Canio, Moore, Hurst, Peters
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Di Caniooooo! Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:59 am

Oops Embarassed

The Next England Squad - Page 16 Image14
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:01 pm

Kimbo wrote:The more I think about the Drinkwater one the more depressing it is, there's literally nothing more he could have done, he doesn't play in a position where we have particularly good players, and the players we do have aren't fit, but all he really gets is a pat on the head from Hodgson.

Anyway my team

-------------------Hart-------------------

Walker--Smalling--Cahill--Rose

-------------------Dier-------------------
    --------Lallana---------Milner--------

--------------------Alli--------------------

-------------Kane---Vardy-------------

The Next England Squad - Page 16 Cj9sQS8XAAADf7s

I don't like Roy mostly agreeing with me. Erm
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:39 pm

Looks decent on paper. And it'd leave Sterling, Sturridge, Rashford as good options to bring on against tiring defenders 2nd half.

It's a setup that will put a lot of pressure on the full backs though.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:23 pm

Bruno Alves ruins everyone's night
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Pierre Littbarski Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:49 pm

Was good watching shearer's euro 96 doc the other night - what a legend Pearce is: burying 2 massive pens and then making that fat c**t corden cry by leaving Beckham out of the Olympics (deserves a knighthood for the latter)

You could really get behind that team and it was full of men instead of U21 eligible players.

Our history is about leaving one of our greatest players of his generation out of the side to benefit the team and win the world cup.

Euro '96 was about picking the best CF and the player who complimented him best (sheringham - a hugely unpopular pick at the time) rather than the 2 best CF's.

That gave way to Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney and the obsession with the individual - culminating in the the constant debates about whether terry should be recalled despite the fact he never added any value to England.

I though Adams was a dick and Southgate a geek but you could still get behind them.

Nowadays its about "x has to go on club form" despite the fact that his club have a different style of play and don't play under pressure.

Ince and Gazza ok ok ok

Butt and Scholes ok

Gerrad and Lampard No

There is no current England player who "has to be in the side" imo - Welbeck is best based on England performances but some are pleased with his injury scratch

A player who loses his number, loses his position but still works his bollocks off for the team even when 2-0 down in a friendly - the epitomy of what England fans have been asking for post-Golden Generation and then when they get him they don't want him 'cos there are others with better club form No

If you look at the last ten years, major tournies are won by central midfield.

2006 - Italy have Materazzi (error prone) and Grosso (never went on to do anything) but the CM Gattuso, De Rossi, Pirlo is the strength and they protect the defence and flatter the forwards.

2008 - Spain win with Senna, Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso

2010/12 Xavi, Alonso and Iniesta - Busquets and Cesc come in.

2014 - Khedira, Kroos, Schweini, Lahm

You can be surprisingly weak elsewhere but a good CM unit wins it - Croatia maybe a decent outsider on this basis but what of England.

Dier is solid but lacks experience and a lot of teams have a passer just in front of the back 4 rather than defender, Alli is good but too young and inexperienced - Wilshere too inexperienced and a cripple

Its an insult to great CM's to think Rooney can just come in and do it at this stage of his career.

If I could take any player from England's past now I would have Ince 96/98 rather than any of the more celebrated players.

Don't be one of those dicks who blames Hodgson when it goes wrong - there is nothing positive or negative about him, he changes nothing.

It needs someone to come in above him and sort it out from top to bottom.

Players need to go through the correct process and not skip the U21's.

No other country plays as many youngsters it seems.

Alli was great v Germany but his praise was word for word what they were saying about Ox (a fantastic prospect)  after Brazil friendly - where's he now ?

There is already a new one after Alli in Rashford - why do people think this is good for their careers ?

Look at what Toni and Drogba had achieved at 25 - nothing.

Look at Ighalo/Vardy peaking as well.

We won the Toulon without hearing anything about it - I suppose playing U21's when you're 20 is a failure in this country in 2016 !

I would go with:

Hart

Clyne/Walker
    Cahill
    Smalling
    Rose/Bertrand

Dier
    Milner
    Henderson

Lallana/Sterling (a quite fantastic prospect being judged as if he were a man)
    Kane
    Vardy

We will go out last 16 or QF's
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:30 pm

Tbh I would rather Welbeck went so I could be proved right, again.
    Di Caniooooo!

Post by Di Caniooooo! Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:40 pm

Roy gives some great soccer advise....

Hodgson: "Whichever team is going to win is going to have to do it on field and they'll have to do it by scoring more goals than opposition"
    Di Caniooooo!

Post by Di Caniooooo! Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:25 pm

The Next England Squad - Page 16 Image10
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:22 pm

I tell you what, that's never happened before, people sitting at home saying "should've taken so and so", as England fail once again. It's not happening with Townsend either, and Sunderland fans aren't going on about Defoe.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:30 pm

Let's not pretend Danny Baker has an opinion worth noting
    shazlx
    shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
    Supports : Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
    Registration date : 2006-11-08

Post by shazlx Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:15 pm

Kimbo wrote:Henderson is average and injured, why bother with him?
    Didn't you declare him as the natural successor for the England captaincy having never played a single good game for England? And still to play that one good game?

I see now people are finally appreciating Townshend. I've always said, he's shit for a top team because he clearly doesn't have the brains. But he's got great counter attacking instincts and always does well for England.
    Brian 2468

Number of posts : 1054
    Registration date : 2011-08-08

Post by Brian 2468 Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:21 am

Gonna list my team for Monday brought in one change one extra midfielder in place of Sterling Lallana has done well pressuring defensive teams and plays both wings okay. Barkley passes well and has a eye for quick counters Lukaku at Everton.  Vardy gets the start I feel he'll get more service in this side.

If the team is not exploiting and getting behind the back line and not scoring. its easy to make second half changes.    

----------------------------Hart----------------------------

--Walker-----------Cahill--------Smalling------Rose-----

---------------------------Dier-----------------------------

-----Barkley---------------------------------Rooney------

--------------------------Alli-------------------------------

-------------Lallana---------------------------------------

--------------------------Vardy--------------------------
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:39 pm

Barkley likes being in the same areas as Rooney, Alli, Lallana. Would get in each other's way.

I'd go with Henderson or Milner alongside Dier and have them covering to allow the fullbacks to go forward at will

And Sturridge/Kane rather than Vardy as Vardy is likely to be as ineffective as he was vs Slovakia with Iceland sitting back.

Hart
    Walker-Smalling-Cahill-Rose
    Henderson-Dier
    Lallana-Rooney-Alli
    Sturridge

is how I think he'll go.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:47 pm

I think he'll revert back to game one / two maybe just without Sterling. If he changes things dramatically again, it really does suggest he's no clue as to what his side is.
    Brian 2468

Number of posts : 1054
    Registration date : 2011-08-08

Post by Brian 2468 Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:18 pm

Brian 2468 wrote:Gonna list my team for Monday brought in one change one extra midfielder in place of Sterling Lallana has done well pressuring defensive teams and plays both wings okay. Barkley passes well and has a eye for quick counters Lukaku at Everton.  Vardy gets the start I feel he'll get more service in this side.

If the team is not exploiting and getting behind the back line and not scoring. its easy to make second half changes.    

----------------------------Hart----------------------------

--Walker-----------Cahill--------Smalling------Rose-----

---------------------------Dier-----------------------------

-----Barkley---------------------------------Rooney------

--------------------------Alli-------------------------------

-------------Lallana---------------------------------------

--------------------------Vardy--------------------------

Lallana would only be allowed to play both wings this allows Alli, Barkley and Rooney midfield options for deeper play so Vardy gets more opportunities.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:51 pm

I was close
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:20 pm

Oh god. Joe Hart is gonna be crucified after this..dreadful keeping.

Makes for an entertaining game, I suppose Rolling Eyes
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:23 pm

He's been shocking in this tournament
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:51 pm

I don't know why we're shocked.

The Next England Squad - Page 16 3IsbmUC
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:03 pm

There should be no more England squads. Can we lock this thread and throw away the key?
    Di Caniooooo!

Post by Di Caniooooo! Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:29 pm

Should have left Wiltshire and Henderson at home. Bye bye Roy!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:14 pm