Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Luis
Tweesus
Kimbo
robert
L12
Riviera
Bashmachkin
Luso
12 posters

Freddy rips Owen

Luso
    Luso

Number of posts : 3305
    Supports : Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Freddy rips Owen Empty Freddy rips Owen

Post by Luso Fri May 11, 2007 2:31 am

Freddy's response to suggestions Owen is on his way out contains some strong words and I can't see Owen taking kindly to them.

To be told flat out that no one in the big 4 wants him is basically inviting him to prove fat Fred wrong I would say. Whatever Owen has been thinking, I'd imagine he's not impressed with Shepard right now.

What do you guys think, will Owen give it his all at Newcastle?

Here's the link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/6641411.stm
    Bashmachkin
    Bashmachkin

Number of posts : 2374
    Registration date : 2007-02-09

Freddy rips Owen Empty Re: Freddy rips Owen

Post by Bashmachkin Fri May 11, 2007 7:07 am

I start from a point where I believe Owen does owe Newcastle at least a season. We cannot pay £17million for a player just to spend two seasons getting him back to fitness - one whole year nursing him back from an injury he sustained whilst playing for another team - for him to then run off as soon as he is fit. And the idea that he has a clause in his contract which would allow him to leave on the cheap, in light of what he has given us, is disgusting - I cant see how he would dare invoke it to go elsewhere.

Shepherds comments here do have a bit of a go at Owen, but they are mainly regarding an article published by the Times on Monday which tried to confirm that Owen does have a release fee in his contract, whilst suggesting the player would move, deserved to move, and basically made out Newcastle obviously had no say in the matter whatsoever.

Shepherd seems to believe that the article came from sources very close to Owen. If that is the case, I personally think having a bit of a go at him is fully in order. And I think its suspicious, because Owen regularly writes articles in the Times - the link is already a strong one, and even if the article didnt come from information close to Owen, I wonder if he couldnt have stopped it being published, or whether theyd have published something so derogatory to Newcastle and so forward concerning him if they knew he might not appreciate it.

I think Shepherds comments give a clear message that we intend to keep Owen and will not welcome any bids for him, and that we are tired of people creating so much speculation and disrespecting the club. Also, besides from the claim about sources, what Shepherd says is true - Owen does need to prove his fitness, none of the big four have come in for him yet, and we at least have been loyal to him.

Personally I dont think Owen will go. But I guess I dont believe Owens heart is fully at Newcastle, for various reasons - the fact there wasnt a host of people bidding for him when he came and so the Shearer link pushed him towards us; the fact that I do think, last season, he simply worked his playing time around getting fit for the World Cup. I still think he will give it his all in our games, because he is at least very professional, and will stay at least through this season, after which who knows.
    Riviera
    Riviera

Number of posts : 5411
    Favourite Player : Iniesta, Hangeland
    Registration date : 2007-04-11

Post by Riviera Fri May 11, 2007 7:36 am

Yeah i agree Bashmachkin, he owe them a season.

They can't expect the big 4 to want him when he's been out for over a year, both he and the club would earn on him staying a year more or so.
    L12

Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by L12 Fri May 11, 2007 7:40 am

I know a lot of Newcastle fans thought LFC fans were being bitter when we said we didn't want him back at the club but I still maintain it now. He's only really concerned about his money, playing in Europe and the England team. He needs to start appreciating the clubs who pay his wages and realise that they expect more out of him after putting up with his far too frequent injuries.

He has the ability to be a quality centre forward and will always offer goals when fit. Lots of Liverpool fans would welcome him back because he did score a lot of goals for us. However, our whole game under Houliier was effectively based on soaking up pressure and getting Owen to hit them on the break. The team was built around Owen and that simply wouldn't be the case under Rafa. Besides, I'm not even sure how many games he'd get to play a season.

I don't think he'd do any worse than our current strikers but I don't think he'd provide much more over an entire season either given his injuries. I'd rather Rafa take the 9m and add on whatever is needed to get someone with a bit of heart as well as ability like Tevez.
    robert
    robert

Number of posts : 5672
    Supports : Manchester United
    Favourite Player : Giggs
    Registration date : 2006-08-14

Post by robert Fri May 11, 2007 11:22 am

Freddy is right though, no big 4 want him, they had the chance before he moved to Newcastle. I still think that hasn't changed.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo Fri May 11, 2007 11:24 am

He's going to be here next season whether we like it or not. Personally i couldn't give a $h!t, if we sold him he could easily be replaced. But the fact remains that Newcastle don't want to sell and none of the big boys want to buy. All we've seen is a load of nonsense speculation from the cretinous british press who can't bear to see a good player at a non-top darling club.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Fri May 11, 2007 11:28 am

For a start there are no guarantees that Owen won't get another injury just as bad as the last one, it certainly wouldn't surprise me. So who would be willing to make that £9m gamble anyway? it could seriously blow up in a clubs face.

Owen is a great striker but IMO he also isn't quite top four level. He could probably get into Liverpool's team but that's probably set to change in the summer if the reports are true that they're in the market for a world class striker.

Owen will get you 15 goals or so in the league, he's a top class striker but he doesn't contribute much else from the goals, he's decentish at linking up play, he doesn't put in a huge amount of work rate, what he's there to do is score goals and that he is superb but the modern day striker seems to have to be capable of more than that
    Luso
    Luso

Post by Luso Sat May 12, 2007 4:41 pm

@Bash

I agree with a lot of what you've said, Owen would be showing some real cheek if he were to push for a move away from the club. He joined Newcastle of his free accord, and as for as everyone knows, they've supported him and continued to pay his wages despite getting nothing in return.

This is modern football though, and players don't tend to give a shite about anything but money. Loyalty only holds them back from more lucrative or better sporting wise deals.

I've heard about the clause before, but would hope Newcastle wouldn't really put itself in that position. If it's true, it would seem Newcastle were banking on him becoming attached to the club, and with some sporting success, deciding to stay. As is, I doubt he gives two shits about Newcastle.

That said, the guy has a contract with the club, they've kept their end of the deal, he simply needs to do his part now. As mentioned other clubs didn't show him any faith, Newcastle have done that, he needs to recognise that.

If they could just bring in some better players the squad would be pretty decent. Look at what Sam did at Bolton; imagine what he could do with a club like Newcastle.
    Luso
    Luso

Post by Luso Sat May 12, 2007 4:42 pm

BTW, Newcastle should've gotten Benni...

He's been good for a while, not just this year. A LOT cheaper too.
    Porto basically let him go on a free as they were just feed up with his constant pushing to leave and subsequent sub-par play.
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis Sat May 12, 2007 5:32 pm

Freddy is like the village idiot
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Sat May 12, 2007 5:36 pm

Owen needs to make his intentions clear, if he wants to leave then he can leave as far as i'm concerned, he's far from the most valuble or best player in our squad and we can get a good fee for him. We've had days of speculation now and he's kept shtum.
    Luis
    Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis Sat May 12, 2007 5:37 pm

Kimbo wrote:Owen needs to make his intentions clear, if he wants to leave then he can leave as far as i'm concerned, he's far from the most valuble or best player in our squad and we can get a good fee for him. We've had days of speculation now and he's kept shtum.

We'll be making a 1 million loss if we buy him back
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Sat May 12, 2007 5:40 pm

Luis wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:Owen needs to make his intentions clear, if he wants to leave then he can leave as far as i'm concerned, he's far from the most valuble or best player in our squad and we can get a good fee for him. We've had days of speculation now and he's kept shtum.

We don't know how much he would go for tbh. ok
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Sat May 12, 2007 5:40 pm

Luis wrote:

Not really.

For each season he'd stayed with you he'd have been paid bout £4m a year - he's been injured for about 2 of those seasons
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Sat May 12, 2007 5:41 pm

9 million is the clause isn't it?
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Sat May 12, 2007 5:41 pm

Tweedle wrote:
    Luis wrote:

Not really.

For each season he'd stayed with you he'd have been paid bout £4m a year - he's been injured for about 2 of those seasons

He might not have got injured if he stayed, one little change in life changes everything
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Sat May 12, 2007 5:43 pm

Luis wrote:9 million is the clause isn't it?

Sleep Tabloid nonsense.
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Sat May 12, 2007 5:43 pm

Kimbo wrote:

Sleep Tabloid nonsense.

Not really, they were right about Bellamy's 6 milliion clause weren't they?
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Sat May 12, 2007 5:44 pm

Luis wrote:
    Tweedle wrote:
    Luis wrote:

Not really.

He might not have got injured if he stayed, one little change in life changes everything

But looking at it from the situation as it panned out, if you bought him back for £1m more and he then didn't get injured, you could regard it as a profitable

Don't know why you'd want him back to be honest, he seems very injury prone + I thought you had amibitions of buying a World Class stiker and winning the league?
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Sat May 12, 2007 5:46 pm

Tweedle wrote:
    Luis wrote:
    Tweedle wrote:
    Luis wrote:

Not really.

But looking at it from the situation as it panned out, if you bought him back for £1m more and he then didn't get injured, you could regard it as a profitable

Don't know why you'd want him back to be honest, he seems very injury prone + I thought you had amibitions of buying a World Class stiker and winning the league?

Current club totals

Apps Goals
    Total (Club) 13 (1) 7

Says it all really
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Sat May 12, 2007 5:48 pm

Luis wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:

Sleep Tabloid nonsense.

Not really, they were right about Bellamy's 6 milliion clause weren't they?

Were they right about Owens £12m release clause aswell? The release clause was denied at his press conference when he signed, i've seen nothing to suggest the situation has changed.

Tbh this has made me realise just how overrated Owen is. Is he really worth all this fuss??? He's a fucking poacher, that's it.

And if this is what it's going to be like all though next season then i would rather he was sold, it's a fucking circus.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Sat May 12, 2007 5:50 pm

Luis wrote:
    Tweedle wrote:
    Luis wrote:
    Tweedle wrote:
    Luis wrote:

Not really.

Current club totals

Apps Goals
    Total (Club) 13 (1) 7

Says it all really

scratch
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Sat May 12, 2007 5:56 pm

he's still a clinical striker Tweedle, it's not hard to interperate
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Sat May 12, 2007 5:57 pm

Doesn't mean anything. RVN is a clinical striker but look what happened when he left.

Modern strikers have to be more than just clinical at the highest level.
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Sat May 12, 2007 5:58 pm

RVN is one of la liga's finest though.

And Liverpool do need a goal scorer, that is what Owen is
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Sat May 12, 2007 6:07 pm

I thought you were after a world class striker though? Owen may score you goals but he'll contribute nothing to the team like Fuyt or Crouch would so at times it will be like playing with ten men.

If you had someone like Villa, you'd score the extra goals + have someone that contributed to the team both in assists + movement.

Owen simply won't improve your team
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Sat May 12, 2007 6:08 pm

I thought we had no chance of Villa? if we do have a chance then obviously he should be first choice joint with Eto'o but according to some people that's impossilbe.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Sat May 12, 2007 6:10 pm

Luis wrote:I thought we had no chance of Villa? if we do have a chance then obviously he should be first choice joint with Eto'o but according to some people that's impossilbe.

Eto'o may even be more possible than Villa, its true. but I doubt Eto'o would want to join your club, whereas I could see Villa being interested.

There are plenty of other strikers out there that can score the goals and also contribute more to the team than Owen would.

Having said that, maybe by spending less on Owen you'd have more to spend on the other areas of the squad that need strengthening like left mid and maybe a playmaker midfielder
    Luso
    Luso

Post by Luso Sat May 12, 2007 7:34 pm

Is anyone really surprised this has become an issue though? Before Owen signed there was already talk of a buy-out clause...I think this was destined to be a high pressure situation with constant talk of Owen leaving.

No disrespect to Newcastle, but both at Liverpool and Madrid he played for honours, and that simply isn't the case at Newcastle...the desire, or the supposed disire, to leave was always going to be an issue IMO.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Sat May 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Luso wrote:Is anyone really surprised this has become an issue though? Before Owen signed there was already talk of a buy-out clause...I think this was destined to be a high pressure situation with constant talk of Owen leaving.

No disrespect to Newcastle, but both at Liverpool and Madrid he played for honours, and that simply isn't the case at Newcastle...the desire, or the supposed disire, to leave was always going to be an issue IMO.

But he's not good enough for those clubs and they will never be interested in him, the media need to get their head around this. Infact little old Newcastle could do better imo. If he wants to leave and go to an Everton or a Villa then he can probably make it happen, but he would have to take a paycut. Owen is best off staying put, the only way is down for him. ok

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:33 pm