Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+30
bluenine
AsianBoy
Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U
SteveOoO
Deluded F*ck™
Parks lives
golsud
S4P
The Pröfessör
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!
Kimbo
Ricardo Jol
Torrente
gone
Formerly known as sheva7
The Easter Bunny
Napoléon
fcb
Pierre Littbarski
DD
Murray
Luis
Super Progress
Tweesus
BoBo Vieri 32
TM
Kroos
Calidad
A & K
Zack
34 posters

Rivaldo V Zidane

bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Rivaldo V Zidane - Page 5 Empty Re: Rivaldo V Zidane

Post by bluenine Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:06 pm

TS, this is exactly what I said, which started this arguement in first place...

Some people here feel that Maldini is not at that level... some feel that Rivaldo is better than Baggio... etc etc

TeamSpirit™️ wrote:What carnage did I stir up here? Laughing

I didn't mean to start an argument over who was better - I just rate Baggio on their level - Everyone knows he dragged Italy to the '94 Wc final - and whilst he doesn't have the trophy cabinet the others had... Italy wouldn't have even been seriously competitive in the 1990's if it wasn't for him. And his stint at Bologna erased any doubts in my mind about his greatness.

Romario is a Legend - as is Ronaldo - as is Romario - as is Maldini - as is Baggio - as is Zidane. Argument done.
    Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1899
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:15 pm

Calidad wrote:Calling Ronaldo fat is hardly a criticism when you're comparing him to Romario. Romario has been fat most his career, surpremely talented but quite fat and lazy.

Ronaldo had more to his game than Romario. Faster, stronger, better in the air etc. Romario was probably a more clinical finisher, but Ronaldo is hardly sloppy in that department.

Ronaldo is past his best, but as shown in the last WC even if he is unfit and slower, he still knows where the back of the net is, and finished joint third with Henry (who played 2 more games) and considered to be in his prime. Also what is it, 10 goals in 13 apps for Milan, what other striker has those sort of stats in Europe?

Romário never was fat. Nobody ever called him fat, not even the press.

Better in the air? Are you sure? Even Ronaldo say that he is awful in the air.

Faster? Until 99. At 30 yo Romário was much faster than Ronaldo is now.

Stronger? Romário weight was ok.

Tell me about his performances for Madrid over the past two seasons, not only about his short spell at Milan. Do you miss Ronaldo? Do you think that you would have won the league if he had stayed? He is in decline.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:49 am

Ok, maybe fat was little harsh, but Romario has always 'carried a bit', and I think he was quite lazy at times.

Ronaldo has scored quite a few headed goals though, and I'd say he was better than Romario, who was about 5'5.

I don't know, Ronaldo still shows in glimpses that he is pretty fast and at their respective peaks Ronaldo>>>>>>>>Romario

I'm not saying Romario was weak, but Ronaldo was a physical phenomenon.

I'm not a Madrid fan, so no I won't miss him, but he still has a fantastic goal scoring record for Madrid, but his time there was obviously marred by injury, but he still put in numerous fantastic performances. How many strikers have gone to Old Trafford and scored a hatrick in recent times; getting clapped of the pitch?

He is in decline, but most players at 30 are. The point is a Ronaldo in decline>>>>most other strikers in the world. How many goals have Brasil scored since he has left? I don't suppose it is very many.
    gone
    gone

Number of posts : 3455
    Supports : Steaua
    Favourite Player : Radoi, Ogararu, Nicolita, Iniesta, Edin Dzeko
    Registration date : 2007-03-27

Post by gone Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:27 pm

DD wrote:
    gone wrote:Romario is just a great player.
    Holy f*cking sh*t!

Seriously!?

Will Romario be in your top 10 fowards of all time? Because that's what I consider a legend.
    Rez

Number of posts : 3757
    Registration date : 2006-10-06

Post by Rez Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:07 pm

Ok Zidane was better than Rivaldo, but Ronaldo at his peak was better than Both. Rivaldo and Baggio were about equal, I would say Ronaldo is the best player since Maradona.

Career wise Zidane and Romario were better than him, but for those 3 years he was on the brink of joining the upper echelon that Pele and Maradonna reside in.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Tweesus Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:30 pm

What the f@ck are you on about?

I've barely posted anything on this thread re Romario and Baggio! only that the WPOTY competition shouldn't be taken seriously Doh

bluenine wrote:
    And Tweedy, we are not talking about who is a better player.

DD
    DD

Number of posts : 10721
    Supports : NEC

Post by DD Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:32 pm

gone wrote:
    DD wrote:
    Holy f*cking sh*t!

Seriously!?

Will Romario be in your top 10 fowards of all time? Because that's what I consider a legend.
    Absolutely.
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:34 pm

Saying that Ronaldo is a better player then Romario is nothing more then a pure insult!
    gone
    gone

Post by gone Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:13 pm

DD wrote:
    gone wrote:
    DD wrote:
    Holy f*cking sh*t!

Seriously!?

Absolutely.

Before Pele, Eusebio, Gerd Muller, van Basten, Kempes, Puskás, Di Stéfano, Just Fontaine, Maradona, Ronaldo, Gullit?
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:17 pm

Mind your language, Tweedy.

Your post was about how WPOTY does not represent who is a better player, so I was just pointing out that my discussion with Sheva wasn't about who is a better player - we both had already agreed on that - we were just predicting who will be known as a bigger legend 20 years from now.

Tweedle wrote:What the f@ck are you on about?

I've barely posted anything on this thread re Romario and Baggio! only that the WPOTY competition shouldn't be taken seriously Doh

bluenine wrote:
    And Tweedy, we are not talking about who is a better player.

Tweedle wrote:WPOTY doesn't matter one bit. I thought we'd already established that it doesn't represent who was actually the better player in that year, the Ballon D'or matters to a degree but its still only the opinions of journalists.

And its already been established why Ronaldo has more WC goals than Romario - maybe it would be better to calculate a goals per game ratio

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:19 pm

gone wrote:
    DD wrote:
    gone wrote:
    DD wrote:
    Holy f*cking sh*t!

Seriously!?

Absolutely.

Before Pele, Eusebio, Gerd Muller, van Basten, Kempes, Puskás, Di Stéfano, Just Fontaine, Maradona, Ronaldo, Gullit?

yes
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:30 pm

How about Garrincha & Cryuff instead??

Messiah wrote:
    gone wrote:
    DD wrote:
    gone wrote:
    DD wrote:
    Holy f*cking sh*t!

Seriously!?

Absolutely.

yes

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:46 pm

Based on their reputation NO.
    bluenine wrote:How about Garrincha & Cryuff instead??

Messiah wrote:
    gone wrote:
    DD wrote:
    gone wrote:
    DD wrote:
    Holy f*cking sh*t!

Seriously!?

Absolutely.

yes
    110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:53 pm

Rez wrote:Ok Zidane was better than Rivaldo, but Ronaldo at his peak was better than Both. Rivaldo and Baggio were about equal, I would say Ronaldo is the best player since Maradona.

Career wise Zidane and Romario were better than him, but for those 3 years he was on the brink of joining the upper echelon that Pele and Maradonna reside in.

ok

Zidane was the main player for france, I read somewhere that when the french didn't know what to do they passd the ball to zidane and he made things happen. Whereas rivaldo couldn't handle very well being the main player targetted by the opposition and played better when ronaldo was there.

I also think ronaldo at his peak was the best player since maradonna, unfortunately his peak did not last long due to injuries. I think romario might also be more appreciated in brasil since he played more in brasil than ronaldo (who was already at psv at 17 I think).
    gone
    gone

Post by gone Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:02 pm

I forgot about them (and so many others like Oleg Blokin).

bluenine wrote:How about Garrincha & Cryuff instead??

Messiah wrote:
    gone wrote:
    DD wrote:
    gone wrote:
    DD wrote:
    Holy f*cking sh*t!

Seriously!?

Absolutely.

yes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 9:16 am