Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+35
christmasborocooper
Deluded F*ck™
Puro
Fey
lrdsucksgoats
Sir Harry Flashman
S4P
bluenine
Parks lives
Pierre Littbarski
Rasiak-9
debaser
DD
Bashmachkin
Dwarf
Romford Pele
L.r.d
tigerthesmurf
fcb
Roger Hunt
Deano
Murray
Sheffield gunner
Tweesus
briz
StevieG
theflyingfrenchman
Chocolate Thunder
DS
shazlx
Luis
Isco Benny
Football Genius
Kimbo
Machiavel
39 posters

Big Sam leaves

Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Big Sam leaves - Page 2 Empty Re: Big Sam leaves

Post by Roger Hunt Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:08 pm

Football Genius wrote:The Happiest day in Kimbos life Laugh

Happiest day in Kimbo's life (up to August 2007) - Roeder sacked
    Happiest day in Kimbo's life (up to January 2008) - Allardyce sacked
    Happiest day in Kimbo's life (up to January 2009) - Shearer sacked
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:09 pm

Wrong decision Doh Doh Doh Doh Doh

How can you not give a guy trying to revamp the entire club, at least a season to prove himself? It's not as if Newcastle are in the bottom 3. Once again the club is destabilised. IMO this decision is even worse than hiring Sounness, which was one of the most baffling and surprising pieces of news I've read since I followed football.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:09 pm

johan neeskens wrote:
    Tweedle wrote:Good decision IMO.

Now NUFC should go for Van Gaal IMO Ale

Lets be honest here he could leave 1 team in mid-table to another, I think if he was ever to be interested it be in the summer have a whole season to work with, plus he still wants to coach at the next World Cup so he be looking at one of those international teams he listed to give him a call. Martin Jol would not be a bad shout he wants to get back into the Premiership and have Big Al as assistant the Geordie's would love this.

Aye, Jol in theory would be good too, however not the ideal man when you have a Mr Viduka in your team. Jol is famous for his relaxed methods. It wouldnt take Viduka long to resemble a Sumo Wrestler; and play like one too <Ale>

Shearer as a number 2 could bring in some discipline.

However, how Jol's cultured approach will wash with Wor Alan's "boot it down the line for the winger to get some chalk on his boots" philosophy is anyone's guess. Here's to hoping some of that Dutch class might rub off onto his bald pate <Ale>
    tigerthesmurf

Number of posts : 83
    Supports : Arsenal!!!!!!! (Sao Paulo, Watford, Ajax, Inter)
    Registration date : 2007-12-30

Post by tigerthesmurf Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:09 pm

When are they going to learn? It's just going to happen over and over again if they don't give their managers time.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Tweesus Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:12 pm

Matthew Upson wrote:It's Martin Jol ok

Is that your friend who seems to know stuff saying that?

Jol would be a good appointment IMO. He'd get them playing good football again - may not get the results, but I think NUFC fans just want a bit of entertainment after four years of shite
    StevieG
    StevieG

Number of posts : 1039
    Supports : 1.Valencia C F. 2.Stockport County
    Favourite Player : David Villa , Joaquin
    Registration date : 2007-07-22

Post by StevieG Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:14 pm

definately got to be martin jol Very Happy

never know theirs a few around

Mourinho wudn't even go near it.

quique sanchez flores

or the one i reckon itl be mclaren with shearer assistant
    L.r.d
    L.r.d

Number of posts : 5614
    Registration date : 2007-12-21

Post by L.r.d Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:14 pm

I rate Sam, But Alan Smith was his downfall. When he signed Alan Smith i feared the worst.

Newcastle have moronic fans thats just the reality. I saw a good article the other day that they need to go through the Shearer experience before they move forward. They need to appoint Alan Shearer, he will fail and then the next manager wont have the supporters all thinking they would prefer Shearer in charge.
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Post by Roger Hunt Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:15 pm

Actually - and this is a vaguely serious point - what they need is a director of football. The problem is not so much that they chop and change managers but that each new one has a radically different game plan and so they end up selling/ alienating a lot of the existing players.

They need more continuity so that the DoF is selecting the players and also has a say on which manager to bring in so they will work with the players and not just start from scratch.
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder

Post by Machiavel Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:17 pm

Sheffield gunner wrote:What now for Allardyce, a step back down to a smaller club which he can try to build up as he did with Bolton? I can't see too many other options, his reputation has taken a bit of a bruising since the summer.

Two years ago he was in the running for the England job. How times have changed. I can see him back in the Premiership, to which club I do not know.
    Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United

Post by Deano Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:19 pm

Tweedle wrote:
    Matthew Upson wrote:It's Martin Jol ok

Is that your friend who seems to know stuff saying that?

Jol would be a good appointment IMO. He'd get them playing good football again - may not get the results, but I think NUFC fans just want a bit of entertainment after four years of shite

I was just guessing about Jol...I don't think I'd get much info on something Newcastle related...you'd need a Newcastle ITK for that...

What I do know, is that Jol never wanted to leave England, but didn't want to manage a small club like Birmingham/Fulham. Newcastle are obviously a bigger club, and being that he has Prem experience too, I think this one could just happen ok
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Post by Roger Hunt Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:20 pm

L r d wrote: They need to appoint Alan Shearer, he will fail and then the next manager wont have the supporters all thinking they would prefer Shearer in charge.

Lrd makes valid point alert
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
    Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
    Favourite Player : Ozil
    Registration date : 2006-10-05

Post by Romford Pele Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:24 pm

Thank f@ck, I can get back to liking Newcastle again now.

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:57 pm

Wow, I wasn't expecting that!!!

It's a good move my Newcastle in my opinion...Newcastle should be an attacking team, but Big Sam wanted them playing anti-football and was trying to turn them into Bolton.

Now for the love of god sign a coach who isn't like Souness or Roeder!
    Dwarf

Number of posts : 7502
    Supports : Operation Puerto
    Favourite Player : Dr. Eufemiano Fuentes
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Dwarf Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:57 pm

johan neeskens wrote:
    Two years ago he was in the running for the England job. How times have changed. I can see him back in the Premiership, to which club I do not know.

International management would be my bet.
    Bashmachkin
    Bashmachkin

Number of posts : 2374
    Registration date : 2007-02-09

Post by Bashmachkin Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:59 pm

Shearer is besides the point in my opinion. Its rare for a player to symbolise a club as much as Shearer did when at Newcastle, and he will always be linked with the club, and perhaps a lot of people want and expect him to manage us one day, but I dont think there is genuine clamour for him to manage us any time soon. My impression is that a lot of fans think it would be too soon for him to become a manager. And what the fans want most of all is someone who will bring a bit of life and respectability to the club, who will make proper decisions and who we can progress under happily.

Im not exaggerating when I say that Allardyce was, for me, the most inept manager Ive seen in sixteen years of supporting the club. Its fair enough to argue we need stability and to give people time, but Allardyce contributed nothing in his time at Newcastle - we didnt progress in any respect but rather went backwards, with the signs being that worse was to come, and whats more Allardyce seemed devoid of any real ideas which would actually change things in any real sense. There were countless ridiculous team selections, players playing out of position, players being picked because they were the managers favourites; a clear lack of relationship between players and manager (a lack of relationship between some of the new players, like Rozehnal, and Allardyce, as well as a lack of relationship between Given and Allardyce, Owen and Allardyce); the players seemed to not understand or respect his methods; Allardyce seemed unable to motivate; his comments and interviews became increasingly nonsensical and full of lies; he made a number of huge mistakes in the transfer market in the summer (and I fear the mistakes he might have made during this transfer windown had he stayed); his whole reign was marked by an outstanding degree of negativity. The grinning after the Stoke result cant have helped his cause.

In such a situation as this, fans are going to want to see some change, and because of his relationship with the club, because hes seen as an available candidate as well as a more or less desirable one, but also because it makes a good story for the press, Shearers name has been banded about a lot. As I say, with a proper manager in charge and with any real signs of progress, I think Shearers name would be off the radar. And I dont think he is the type to try to exert an influence, or to add pressure from a position outside the club.

Anyway, despite the speculation, this feels very sudden and surprising. Needless to say Im glad that hes gone, pretty much delighted with the news, and I am hopeful that we will bring in the right man this time. As Ive said recently, my big preference would be to look abroad, for the fresh perspective a foreign manager would bring as well as because there are very few, if any quality English managers around and available. The immediate future looks a little brighter because I did fear that this transfer window might see little positive action - as it is, who knows if a new manager will arrive in time to do anything in the transfer market, but under Allardyce it seemed as though we could well sell Emre and be left with a central midfield without any creative option. Its interesting to consider what set off Allardyces departure - whether it was the Stoke game, for instance; whether it was mutual consent with Allardyce himself having doubts or issues - because I didnt envisage us letting him go at the present moment.

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:02 pm

Harry Redknapp would be a good choice if you could get him from Portsmouth. He's great at building teams which play good football, and he's brilliant in the transfer market.
    DD
    DD

Number of posts : 10721
    Supports : NEC

Post by DD Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:05 pm

Finally, now Martins can finally stop playing on the wings.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:19 pm

DD wrote:Finally, now Martins can finally stop playing on the wings.
    and start signing for villa ok
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Number of posts : 7743
    Supports : Liverpool

Post by Football Genius Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:24 pm

debaser wrote:
    DD wrote:Finally, now Martins can finally stop playing on the wings.
    and start signing for villa ok

Laughing

He wouldn't have a chance with the mighty Gabby playing.... surely Wink
    L.r.d
    L.r.d

Post by L.r.d Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:26 pm

Last week in a newspaper i read an exclusive with Ashley saying ''Sam's my man, i cant sack him for a rookie'' So it's bizarre timing, maybe a disagreement over a sale.....
    Rasiak-9
    Rasiak-9

Number of posts : 2605
    Supports : Southampton
    Registration date : 2007-01-17

Post by Rasiak-9 Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:49 pm

Rumours were floating around last week at that we had actually got in touch with Allardyce should he end up leaving Newcastle as HCDAJFU at Saints.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:54 pm

Roger Hunt wrote:Actually - and this is a vaguely serious point - what they need is a director of football. The problem is not so much that they chop and change managers but that each new one has a radically different game plan and so they end up selling/ alienating a lot of the existing players.

They need more continuity so that the DoF is selecting the players and also has a say on which manager to bring in so they will work with the players and not just start from scratch.

ok

When English journos are looking for something foreign to slag off they sometimes go for Directors of Football and cite the situations with Mourinho at Chelsea and Jol at Spurs as cast iron proof that it doesn't work.

Funnily enough, they tend not to mention Lyon and Sevilla.

It would be like Andy Gray mentioning that Milan and Liverpool have taken up 4 of the last 6 CL final berths while deploying a zonal marking system when defending corners and that just wouldn't do - that would be objective.
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:57 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:
    Roger Hunt wrote:Actually - and this is a vaguely serious point - what they need is a director of football. The problem is not so much that they chop and change managers but that each new one has a radically different game plan and so they end up selling/ alienating a lot of the existing players.

ok

When English journos are looking for something foreign to slag off they sometimes go for Directors of Football and cite the situations with Mourinho at Chelsea and Jol at Spurs as cast iron proof that it doesn't work.

Funnily enough, they tend not to mention Lyon and Sevilla.

It would be like Andy Gray mentioning that Milan and Liverpool have taken up 4 of the last 6 CL final berths while deploying a zonal marking system when defending corners and that just wouldn't do - that would be objective.

You think there may be a reason?
    L.r.d
    L.r.d

Post by L.r.d Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:15 pm

Alan Shearer 4/5
    Martin Jol 4/1
    Mark Hughes 7/1
    Jose Mourinho 10/1
    Marcello Lippi 12/1
    Steve McClaren 12/1
    Ottmar Hitzfeld 14/1
    Glen Hoddle 16/1
    Paul Jewell 16/1
    John Collins 25/1
    Jurgen Klinsmann 25/1
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti

Post by bluenine Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:31 pm

Sacking a coach midway into a season is always a silly decision... but still so many clubs do it... there have been 8 casualties in EPL and also in Serie A already this season, this is so silly.

But like I said before, hiring Sam last summer was a bigger mistake. Some coaches are good at winning promotions on small budgets and overachieving with small teams with low expectations... many of these coaches do not have the talent to manage bigger clubs which have money, stars and expectations.... same happened with Mclaren, even tho Sam is better as a coach than Mclaren, tactically Sam is still quite naive... and his stint in newcastle only confirmed that manifold. And some people were saying that Sam should ve been the coach of england Doh

Newcastle are a rich club, and now they have to decide whether they want to fight for bigger objectives and silverware or they want to keep under performing... Go for a top foriegn coach, thats what I would suggest... they have the money, they have a January transfer window for the new coach to make quick adjustments, they should go for it. Might be too late for this season, but if they start a project, this could come good the next season... a club of Newcastle's stature should be fighting for a CL place.

kas wrote:Wrong decision Doh Doh Doh Doh Doh

How can you not give a guy trying to revamp the entire club, at least a season to prove himself? It's not as if Newcastle are in the bottom 3. Once again the club is destabilised. IMO this decision is even worse than hiring Sounness, which was one of the most baffling and surprising pieces of news I've read since I followed football.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:37 pm

L r d wrote:Alan Shearer 4/5

pale
    L.r.d
    L.r.d

Post by L.r.d Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:43 pm

Sources close to Alan Shearer have confirmed to the BBC this evening that he is extremely unlikely to be the next manager of Newcastle.
    Shearer says he is currently very happy with his job on Match of the Day.

The former England captain, who played for the Magpies for nearly 10 years and ended his career at St James' Park, had been strongly linked with the post.

Newcastle are beginning the hunt for their seventh manager in 11 years after the departure of Sam Allardyce.

bizarre but probably saving his reputation Biggrin
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:52 pm

L r d wrote:
    Newcastle have moronic fans thats just the reality. I saw a good article the other day that they need to go through the Shearer experience before they move forward. They need to appoint Alan Shearer, he will fail and then the next manager wont have the supporters all thinking they would prefer Shearer in charge.
    This thing about "Newcastle fans want Shearer" is silly. It's a minority that would like him, and i don't even think he would be first choice for them. It's just the southern media and their "Geordies obsessed with Geordies" theory. It's nonsense.
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:53 pm

L r d wrote:Shearer says he is currently very happy with his job on Match of the Day.

Neutral
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:54 pm

L r d wrote:Alan Shearer 4/5
    Martin Jol 4/1
    Mark Hughes 7/1
    Jose Mourinho 10/1
    Marcello Lippi 12/1
    Steve McClaren 12/1
    Ottmar Hitzfeld 14/1
    Glen Hoddle 16/1
    Paul Jewell 16/1
    John Collins 25/1
    Jurgen Klinsmann 25/1

Mourinho's out of the running. Part of his "mutual agreement" was that he wouldn't coach another EPL team this season. Unless Newcastle get a new manager and sack him in 6 months time it's not gonna happen Ale

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 11:20 pm