Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Jaime
robert
TM
Zack
Calidad
Kimbo
Romford Pele
DS
Sgoater1
13 posters

Could City sign Ronaldinho ?

Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Could City sign Ronaldinho ? Empty Could City sign Ronaldinho ?

Post by Sgoater1 Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:27 am

City target Ronaldinho to swap Barça for Eastlands

Daniel Taylor
    Monday April 7, 2008
    The Guardian

Super-agent Pini Zahavi may be about to broker a move that would take Ronaldinho from Camp Nou to Eastlands. Photograph: Lluis Gene. AFP/Getty Images

Manchester City have launched an audacious bid to sign Ronaldinho, the former world footballer of the year. After five years at Barcelona the Brazilian is looking for a new club and his brother, Roberto de Assis Moreira, who doubles as his agent, was given the VIP treatment as Sven-Goran Eriksson's team lost to Chelsea on Saturday.
    Assis was at the City of Manchester stadium with Pini Zahavi, the so-called "super-agent". Thaksin Shinawatra, City's owner, is in Thailand, with his corruption trial due to begin on Friday, but his associates spoke at length with Assis. City are apparently willing to pay Ronaldinho in excess of £100,000 a week.

Article continues

Whether Ronaldinho would genuinely consider moving to a club currently ninth in the Premier League remains to be seen, particularly as Milan have also registered a interest. Yet Thaksin has been encouraged by the initial discussions and it is seen as a positive sign that Assis was willing to spend the weekend in Manchester.
    Ronaldinho is currently injured and is regarded as a player in decline but, at 28, the World Cup winner is still one of the most revered footballers and the fact that City are talking about signing him demonstrates the club's seriousness about challenging for the Champions League in the next two seasons.

Only a few weeks ago Thaksin warned that there would not be "huge amounts" available for new players this summer. The former Thai prime minister said he had found his first year in English football "heavy on the pockets" after recruiting 11 players at a cost of £56m. Since then, however, there have been at least two sets of talks with Ronaldinho's representatives.

Eriksson, a close ally of Zahavi, has been kept on the edges of the talks. "I hope it's true," he said. "I would not protest against it. But I don't know if Ronaldinho wants to play in the Intertoto Cup next season."

Assis's presence in Manchester will not have gone unnoticed by Chelsea given that Roman Abramovich had two meetings with him in London in August. Chelsea's billionaire owner informed Assis that, if Ronaldinho were ever to leave Barcelona, he would be willing to finance the deal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surly there is no way he would sign for us, but it is positive that his reps have held two lots of talks with city and have now come over to watch a game. Then again it could just be a stunt to start a bidding war with Milan. I love Sven's humour abot Ronaldinho wanting to play in the Intertoto cup. Very Happy

Anyway, although i would love it to happen, i cant see it, but there is no harm in being ambitious and having a dream. Maybe he wants to get his career back on track in the EPL and loves Sven......prob not but HOW FUCKING AMAZING WOULD IT BE IF HE DID.

Oh and the number 10 shirt is free for Ronaldinho.....unless we re-signed Goater and then he has no chance. Very Happy
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Could City sign Ronaldinho ? Empty Re: Could City sign Ronaldinho ?

Post by DS Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:49 am

Why you need him , he's lazy in Spain in La Liga imagine him in EPL.

Post by Guest Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:14 pm

If you sign Ronaldinho I will eat my own face. Ale
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
    Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
    Favourite Player : Ozil
    Registration date : 2006-10-05

Post by Romford Pele Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:16 pm

He will get eaten alive in the EPL Ale
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:52 pm

The day i f@ck Kelly Brook is the day Man City sign Ronaldinho. <Ale>
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:02 pm

Kimbo wrote:The day i f@ck Kelly Brook is the day Man City sign Ronaldinho. <Ale>

This could be bumped very soon ok
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:45 pm

Ray Parlour wrote:He will get eaten alive in the EPL Ale

In terms of work ethic, yes, but in terms of strength, no. You'd struggle to find a more powerful AM. Remember him barging over the likes of Terry & Gattuso?
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:46 pm

Its a massive long shot, but just to get linked with players like Ronaldinho shows how far we have come and the ambition of the club. Also the fact there have been two meets that his agent and reps are taking us seriously as an option.
    Zack

Number of posts : 1571
    Supports : Tottenham Hotspur
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by Zack Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:47 pm

Ronaldhino will NOT move from Barcelona to Man City...(or Tottenham for that matter)...

Granted his not in form (who was the best player in the World a cuople years back), but jeez it would be a step down from the high life of Catalan/Title-contenders/CL_Football

Most likely destination will be Milan or Chelsea. He will atleast sign for a team whom are in the CL.
    TM
    TM

Number of posts : 21218
    Supports : PROGRESS!
    Favourite Player : Luis Figo
    Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by TM Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:47 pm

Very unlikely. Unless Citeh pay him crazy wages ~ £200K a week Even then i doubt it.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:48 pm

Calidad wrote:

In terms of work ethic, yes, but in terms of strength, no. You'd struggle to find a more powerful AM. Remember him barging over the likes of Terry & Gattuso?

He has hardly been eaten alive when he has played England in the past, whislt he has played against some of the best DMs / CBs in the world in La Liga and the Champs and done well.
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:51 pm

Calidad wrote:

Those games were in the CL though he will not have as much time in the premiership.

And as you said work ethic is a big part of the EPL something which he does not have Ale
    robert
    robert

Number of posts : 5672
    Supports : Manchester United
    Favourite Player : Giggs
    Registration date : 2006-08-14

Post by robert Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:52 pm

lol! Bad move for SGE.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:03 pm

Thing is he must have some interest in a move, why else would he let his brother, agent and other reps fly over to City and have two meetings with us and watch a game. If he was totally against the idea then surly he would have told them to not waste their time. Dont get me wrong i dont think it will happen, but it cant be totally written off. People wouldnt have said Tevez and Mascherano would sign for West Ham but they did...you never know in football.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:04 pm

Sgoater1 wrote:Thing is he must have some interest in a move, why else would he let his brother, agent and other reps fly over to City and have two meetings with us and watch a game. If he was totally against the idea then surly he would have told them to not waste their time. Dont get me wrong i dont think it will happen, but it cant be totally written off. People wouldnt have said Tevez and Mascherano would sign for West Ham but they did...you never know in football.

Who says this has happened?
    TM
    TM

Number of posts : 21218
    Supports : PROGRESS!
    Favourite Player : Luis Figo
    Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by TM Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:04 pm

Sgoater1 wrote:Thing is he must have some interest in a move, why else would he let his brother, agent and other reps fly over to City and have two meetings with us and watch a game. If he was totally against the idea then surly he would have told them to not waste their time. Dont get me wrong i dont think it will happen, but it cant be totally written off. People wouldnt have said Tevez and Mascherano would sign for West Ham but they did...you never know in football.

A. Chelsea reps where there
    B. Create media speculation
    robert
    robert

Post by robert Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:05 pm

They didn't.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Jaime Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:06 pm

robert wrote:lol! Bad move for SGE.

Yeah, I think it's more a question of "should" City sign him as opposed to "could" they. There is only a very small chance that he will stay in Barcelona and if Man City are willing to pay his crazy wages then he would consider it (or anywhere else). The question is do you really want a player who has not been interested in football for the last two + years?
    Calidad
    Calidad

Post by Calidad Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:07 pm

Ray Parlour wrote:
    Calidad wrote:

Those games were in the CL though he will not have as much time in the premiership.

And as you said work ethic is a big part of the EPL something which he does not have Ale

If he was in form, lack of space wouldn't matter. He was about the best player around for getting out of tight spaces. His touch, first time passing, flicks, vision etc was sublime, and he (like most Brasilians) is very strong, so I don't think the physical aspect would bother him.

On current form he'd struggle though. He lingers on the ball for too long, and almost inevitably ends up ruining counter-attacks because of it.
    robert
    robert

Post by robert Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:14 pm

Jaime wrote:
    robert wrote:lol! Bad move for SGE.

Yeah, I think it's more a question of "should" City sign him as opposed to "could" they. There is only a very small chance that he will stay in Barcelona and if Man City are willing to pay his crazy wages then he would consider it (or anywhere else). The question is do you really want a player who has not been interested in football for the last two + years?

Yup, smacks to me of Ronaldo syndrome to me. We know there is a vast amount of talent.We know if it is applied it would be devastating. The main question is will it ever be applied consistently. I mean in the 4 yeas you had Ronaldo you got perhaps 2 good seasons from him. Paying a shitload in wages for all 4 years, though in your structure it was worth it cause of his sponsorships and the money coming back to you. I don't know if Man city have proposed such a system.
    shazlx
    shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
    Supports : Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
    Registration date : 2006-11-08

Post by shazlx Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:43 pm

What like Hleb, Kranjcar, Rosicky, JCole, Arteta and Elano? Ronaldinho is more skillfull and stronger than any of them and they can handle the physical game.
    Zack

Post by Zack Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:49 pm

shazlx wrote:
    What like Hleb, Kranjcar, Rosicky, JCole, Arteta and Elano? Ronaldinho is more skillfull and stronger than any of them and they can handle the physical game.

Exactly. This "Physicality" of the EPL are sometimes way over the Top. Players who are technically gifted actually thrive here more. Like Berbatov, J Cole Hleb etc.

What makes Ronaldhinho impressive (when he was in form) was his Strength on the ball. He will make a massive impact if he ever does come to the EPL...
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:54 pm

I'm still not fully confident. For one does he still have the hunger?

Will he be everpresent if City are enduring a bad period?

Sounds like another case of Shevchenko to me Ale
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:57 pm

No chance, he's not going to come and play Intertoto, like Sven himself pointed out. Milan it is. All this is probably his brother just messing about...I certainly wouldn't turn down an all expenses paid trip that raises speculation and possibly interest in my client.
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:58 pm

kas wrote:No chance, he's not going to come and play Intertoto, like Sven himself pointed out. Milan it is. All this is probably his brother just messing about...I certainly wouldn't turn down an all expenses paid trip that raises speculation and possibly interest in my client.

<Ale>
    Zack

Post by Zack Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:00 pm

Ray Parlour wrote:I'm still not fully confident. For one does he still have the hunger?

Will he be everpresent if City are enduring a bad period?

Sounds like another case of Shevchenko to me Ale

I understand the sceptism. But for me Ronaldhino is not enjoying playing for Barca at the mo. Perhaps he's bored..It is more of a mental break down, than him losing his ability.

A change of league will bring back that hunger. Make him reach new goals, because he has already won the La Liga/CL.

Plus he's nothing like a Sheva scenerio. His still not that old yet and a 60% Ronaldhino can still make a massive impact in the EPL, such is his Talent...
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:03 pm

I agree although he is still very much a luxury player and would City have to adapt their formation to suit him?
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:05 pm

But the change of team has to be carefully picked. If he goes to Man. City he'll be the focal point again and magical things will be expected. That's not the situation he needs right now. At Milan there's a bit more chance of him being protected, and at least sharing the limelight with Kaka, Pato, etc. Plus Milan are the only club who I trust will figure out what's going on with his lack of fitness.
    shazlx
    shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
    Supports : Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
    Registration date : 2006-11-08

Post by shazlx Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:06 pm

Ray Parlour wrote:I agree although he is still very much a luxury player and would City have to adapt their formation to suit him?
    No but they would have to drop Elano unless they opt to pay Elano on the right.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Post by Calidad Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:08 pm

Ray Parlour wrote:I agree although he is still very much a luxury player and would City have to adapt their formation to suit him?

What do you mean by 'luxury player'? Someone who will contributes lots of goals and assists?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:50 pm