Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
EMP
Ricardo Jol
Axeslammer
Bashmachkin
Aristoskank
Glenarch of the Glen
Deluded F*ck™
christmasborocooper
110%
Sgoater1
14 posters

City sign Bridge !

Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

City sign Bridge ! Empty City sign Bridge !

Post by Sgoater1 Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:19 pm

Its a done deal, fee of around £12m ! Im very happy to sign him, a great start to the transfer window. Some people will say we paid over the odds but we can afford it and we have now strengthend our weakest position. Plus when you consider we sold SWP for £21m and bought him back for £8m and Bridge for £12m we have done well. Very Happy
    110%

Number of posts : 8978
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

City sign Bridge ! Empty Re: City sign Bridge !

Post by 110% Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:21 pm

Plus he should be fresh from not having played for a couple of years Wink
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:22 pm

110% wrote:Plus he should be fresh from not having played for a couple of years Wink

Absoloutly mate Very Happy
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:29 pm

Amazing how City can convince players to come out of retirement.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:30 pm

borocooper wrote:Amazing how City can convince players to come out of retirement.

was just about to get that in. Sad
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:33 pm

cheers
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:33 pm

apparently you're after Scott Parker too.

May as well go the whole hog and go after Duff, Geremi, Mutu and Glenn Johnson Very Happy
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:40 pm

&#1044&#1080& wrote:apparently you're after Scott Parker too.

May as well go the whole hog and go after Duff, Geremi, Mutu and Glenn Johnson Very Happy

Don't forget Crespo, Tiago, Veron & Kezman.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:42 pm

borocooper wrote:Amazing how City can convince players to come out of retirement.

Bloody hell if i were you id just worry about keeping O'Neill Very Happy
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:43 pm

The HuddFather™️ wrote:

Crespo, Tiago, Mutu and Johnson wouldnt be bad signings Very Happy
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:44 pm

You can have O'Neill if you want ok

£9m
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by Aristoskank Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:48 pm

You forgot Crespo...

Very Happy
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:55 pm

President Darkie wrote:

You forgot Crespo...

Very Happy

*cough* Erm Wink
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:55 pm

borocooper wrote:You can have O'Neill if you want ok

£9m

No way....£25m is our final offer plus we will give you £50m to take Vassell as well? ( thats how we deal)
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:56 pm

I wouldnt take Vassell if you offered us £100m and Robinho.
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by Aristoskank Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:59 pm

The HuddFather™️ wrote:
    President Darkie wrote:

You forgot Crespo...

Very Happy

*cough* Erm Wink

Sorry, I don't speak black.
    Bashmachkin
    Bashmachkin

Number of posts : 2374
    Registration date : 2007-02-09

Post by Bashmachkin Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:56 pm

I'm not sure about Bridge. I imagine he's had plenty of offers during his five and a half years at Chelsea - in which time he hasn't played much at all given how many games Chelsea have played each season - and offers from clubs in better positions at the time than Man City are in now. So he's grown older and he maybe doesn't have all the experience he could have had, and I understand that he's supposed to train very hard, but still it is easy to speculate that he's only moving now because Man City will continue to give him a big wage. Which is fair enough, but I'm not sure he comes from Chelsea looking like a particularly ambitious sort of player.

And today's result probably throws Hughes's future back into question - will he ever even get to play Bridge, his son and his heir, who he sat side by at Southampton now stands in front of at City? - I guess Hughes will probably stick around for a while longer, but I don't see Man City getting where they want to be with him in charge. It seems obvious that Man City need to mix a few relatively big signings with the talents, like SWP, Sturridge, Richards, Ireland, Johnson (and I like Hart and Kompany a lot too), that are already at the club - not especially because they need to maintain a sense of identity, but just because these are all very capable players that shouldn't be wasted, that have a head start because they are at the club and they know it and fit it, and a successful team can be built with them a part of it. Hughes might perhaps be good for giving the youngsters their chances, but I don't think he's strong or clever enough to build a cohesive team at Man City.

Whatever, in a word, I think Bridge will prove a solid if unexceptional left back for Man City - I think he's a good player but not worth £10-12 million.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:47 pm

Good post Bash - i always respect your opinion even if i dont alays agree with it. Yeah Hughes will be given the season and i still think he will get us playing well. Today was terrible, some players have shit attitudes at the moment (Elano and Jo the main two) and we need to sort them out. I love Elano but im not sure his head is right and it might be best for the club to mve on. I think Hughes will bring in some more quality player and if you look at what we have in the likes of Hart, Richards, Zabaleta, Bridge, Dunne, Kompany, SWP, Ireland, Petrov, Johnson, Bojinov, Sturridge and obviously Robinho then im sure it should just be a matter of time before we aredoing well.
    Bashmachkin
    Bashmachkin

Number of posts : 2374
    Registration date : 2007-02-09

Post by Bashmachkin Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Yeah, I think you already have a really good group of players, a strong core in Hart, Richards (who I rate even if he's not having a great season), Kompany, Ireland, Johnson and Sturridge, who should make for a very good team in the coming seasons. And Bridge and SWP still have plenty of years left, and Robinho is still young. I haven't noticed Zabaleta much this season - I wondered, or speculated a few weeks ago that maybe Corluka added a bit more composure to your back line, but I don't know - how has Zabaleta been doing? I thought Jo would prove a better buy than he's shown himself to be so far. And why do you think Dunne and Richards have struggled this season? How easy would it be to replace Dunne given that he's been your captain?

Anyway, if things haven't worked out so far this season, I certainly see you really progressing in time - the league is closer in general this time around, at the top and at the bottom, and it's nice to think that six or seven teams could compete for the top places next season and in the years to come. I'm just not sure that Hughes is going to prove the man for the City job. I think his success with Wales was largely overstated, and he didn't convince me for a long time at Blackburn because, for a time, results and performances weren't any better or any more consistent than they were under Souness's reign. He won me over a bit in his last season at Blackburn, as he found more good players and took them to another good finish. But I'm not sure if he's up to the more high profile, high pressure job; I'm not sure if he's going to be able to harmonise the players at his disposal. I'm not a huge fan of Hughes, because I have a few doubts about him, but I do like City and I'll be happy to see them do well.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:03 pm

All the money in the world, so who's your number one target ?!

Well ? bounce

bounce

bounce

bounce

.....Wayne Bridge !!!

Erm
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:11 pm

Bashmachkin wrote:Yeah, I think you already have a really good group of players, a strong core in Hart, Richards (who I rate even if he's not having a great season), Kompany, Ireland, Johnson and Sturridge, who should make for a very good team in the coming seasons. And Bridge and SWP still have plenty of years left, and Robinho is still young. I haven't noticed Zabaleta much this season - I wondered, or speculated a few weeks ago that maybe Corluka added a bit more composure to your back line, but I don't know - how has Zabaleta been doing? I thought Jo would prove a better buy than he's shown himself to be so far. And why do you think Dunne and Richards have struggled this season? How easy would it be to replace Dunne given that he's been your captain?

Anyway, if things haven't worked out so far this season, I certainly see you really progressing in time - the league is closer in general this time around, at the top and at the bottom, and it's nice to think that six or seven teams could compete for the top places next season and in the years to come. I'm just not sure that Hughes is going to prove the man for the City job. I think his success with Wales was largely overstated, and he didn't convince me for a long time at Blackburn because, for a time, results and performances weren't any better or any more consistent than they were under Souness's reign. He won me over a bit in his last season at Blackburn, as he found more good players and took them to another good finish. But I'm not sure if he's up to the more high profile, high pressure job; I'm not sure if he's going to be able to harmonise the players at his disposal. I'm not a huge fan of Hughes, because I have a few doubts about him, but I do like City and I'll be happy to see them do well.

Zabaleta has been great this season and one of our best players, i wouldnt swap him for Corluka.....thats how well he has done.

Its hard cos Dunne has been awsome over the last number of seasons and is our captain but if he doesnt perform then we cant just keep him in. It will be a big call and i dont ink he will be dropped (if he is) until the summer when its easier to make the change.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:13 pm

Axeslammer wrote:All the money in the world, so who's your number one target ?!

Well ? bounce

bounce

bounce

bounce

.....Wayne Bridge !!!

Erm

Yeah thats right cos we can only be in talks with one player at once Doh apparently Villa's agent was there yesterday.....so that deal is probably dead now Crying or Very sad
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
    Supports : FC Den Haag!
    Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:18 pm

The HuddFather™️ wrote:

It's been said that Winston Bogarde was also spotted near the city stadium... Whistle
    EMP
    EMP

Number of posts : 7384
    Supports : Valencia, and in Africa Al-Ahly
    Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by EMP Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:39 pm

Sgoater1 wrote:
    Axeslammer wrote:All the money in the world, so who's your number one target ?!

Well ? bounce

bounce

bounce

bounce

.....Wayne Bridge !!!

Erm

Yeah thats right cos we can only be in talks with one player at once Doh apparently Villa's agent was there yesterday.....so that deal is probably dead now Crying or Very sad

Best start crying then Sad Sad Sad

This shows that he is on his way tomorrow...

http://www.goal.com/en/news/722/la-liga/2009/01/04/1040544/valencia-categorically-deny-villa-will-leave

to our training ground.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:48 am

There are rumours linking Adriano to City. Now that he is out of favour at Inter, quite likely that he is on his way out this Jan.

However, he is cup tied. Maybe Inter and City will wait till the summer to complete this.

Also rumours about Jo moving the other way. I am not sure about Jo, so hope these are just rumours.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:28 pm

No offence goater, but £12m for Bridge is laughable. He probably cost an extra £10m because of a half decent performance for England. Otherwise, the £12m fee is inexplicable!

He was good five years but I personally think he's gone the way of Damien Duff.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:58 pm

I think Dwarf made the point on the other thread - the value of pound against Euro will push up the price of English players, as options abroad are relatively more expensive. i.e. £12m will now buy a player in Eurozone worth ~12.5m euros, whereas 6 months ago it could get a player worth 16m euros.

I'd still say it's over the odds, but Chelsea selling to Man City is itself not going to be typical. Chelsea being able to afford to hold out for big money - and City willing and able to pay it!
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:03 am

Can't believe we've made a £5m profit on him. Would've been sad to have seen him go for a small fee but £12m for a back-up player is too good to refuse.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:42 pm