Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Kimbo
Super Progress
Black Magic
fcb
Rosicky
Sgoater1
10 posters

City begin talks with Ronaldinho !

Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

City begin talks with Ronaldinho ! Empty City begin talks with Ronaldinho !

Post by Sgoater1 Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:57 am

Manchester City have been granted permission to open talks with Barcelona forward Ronaldinho.

City have made no secret of their desire to purchase the two-time Fifa World Player of the Year, with owner Thaksin Shinawatra keen to bring a big-name signing to Eastlands.

And executive chairman Garry Cook has revealed that the club is set to discuss terms with the player as recently appointed manager Mark Hughes looks to build his squad for next season.

"It's a tenuous stage and I don't want to give too much away, but Barcelona gave us clearance to talk to him," Cook told Radio Five Live.

World's greatest

"We had some people in Brazil last weekend, who we've been talking to but we have a long, long list of things we need to get done because of the type of player he is - the world's greatest player.

"We're nowhere near completion but the most important thing is that he wants to get back and play football. He wants to show the world he is the greatest player. At the moment, though, we're just ticking off the boxes.

"He has intimated he is interested, otherwise we wouldn't be at the stage we are now. Ronaldinho has an interest in coming to City

"I think the Manchester City fans, who are the most important part of this, would like to see Ronaldinho kicking off next season here."

Jo capture

Cook also confirmed that City are on the brink of completing the capture of CSKA Moscow striker Jo.

"We're almost there (with Jo). It might be in the next seven days, sooner if possible," Cook continued.

"What's great to me is that a year ago we were looking at a very different player profile, so we are very excited by it.

"We want to set targets for ourselves individually, play better and get better. Mark does too and wants to work with that type of player."
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some sites are saying we hope to sign him in the next 48hrs but i think it might take longer. At the moment im just happy to see we have been given permission to speak to him and he wants to talk. This would be the greatest transfer in my life, i couldnt tell you how hapy it would make me. He obviously has a serious interest in coming to us and although i know there is a good chance we wont sign him, its incredibly exciting.

Also great news about Jo, he looks a quality player and even if we are paying over the odds, at the end of the day we will be signing a quality young player who will improve our team.
    Rosicky
    Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
    Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
    Registration date : 2007-04-03

City begin talks with Ronaldinho ! Empty Re: City begin talks with Ronaldinho !

Post by Rosicky Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:01 pm

how much would you be paying for ronnie ?
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:06 pm

Rosicky wrote:how much would you be paying for ronnie ?

In transfer fee or wages ?

In terms of fee it has been reported around £20m, wages £150-200k a week ! But we wouldnt be paying all the wages as we have set up sponsorship deals and marketing stuff etc (like LA Galaxy did with Beckham) so it wont actually cost us anything like that much each week.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:07 pm

Won't be 48 hours Laugh

Basically what Cook is referring to is indeed all the marketing stuff. Who's Man. City's shirt sponsor? Will require some serious negotiation with Nike to sort out all those issues.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:11 pm

kas wrote:Won't be 48 hours Laugh

Basically what Cook is referring to is indeed all the marketing stuff. Who's Man. City's shirt sponsor? Will require some serious negotiation with Nike to sort out all those issues.

I said 48 hours has been quoted by other sites reporting the deal, but i dont believe it will be.

Current shirt sponsor is changing not been announced when we launch our new shirt.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:15 pm

Ahh, then I'm pretty sure talks with Nike will be part of this, making the deal even more complicated.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:30 pm

kas wrote:Ahh, then I'm pretty sure talks with Nike will be part of this, making the deal even more complicated.

Yeah they will be but we have Cook so he knows what he is doing, i just pray we sign him.
    Black Magic

Number of posts : 7514
    Registration date : 2007-10-14

Post by Black Magic Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:32 pm

Sgoater1 wrote:
    kas wrote:Ahh, then I'm pretty sure talks with Nike will be part of this, making the deal even more complicated.

Yeah they will be but we have Cook so he knows what he is doing, i just pray we sign him.

Really? We haven't noticed. Rolling Eyes
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Super Progress Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:37 pm

I never thought that getting a deal with Barcelona would be the problem. they obivously want him out of the club and Laporta has said as much. but i dont think Ronaldinho will make the move. it would be incredible for City though to have such a star in their club.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:40 pm

Certainly not 48 hours.

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/06/07/Premier-Chelsea-stalking-Ronaldinho---Agent/

"Chelsea wants Ronaldinho and Milan has still not given up on hiring him."

"There will be no important news about Ronaldinho in the coming days,” he added.

"He wants to holiday quietly in Porto Alegre [his hometown] and wants to recover well and not rush his recent injury."

Sounds like they're waiting for Chelsea and AC to make an acceptable bid to me.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:43 pm

Well from Barça's perspective, we just want the biggest offer. I don't think we care whether that's from Qatar or Milan. The tricky part is the player's own negotiations...he wants to go to Milan, but they know this and so won't pay us as much.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:55 pm

BMKB wrote:
    Sgoater1 wrote:

Really? We haven't noticed. Rolling Eyes

Biggrin
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:48 pm

From the BBC:

Cook was an executive at Nike before he joined City and his connections with the American sportswear firm, who sponsor Ronaldinho, could help in negotiations.

"I've still kept some great relationships there and they're helping us along the way. I'm still talking to the Nike guys and they've been very supportive," he revealed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So looks like negotiations with Nike should go ok.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:00 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7442429.stm

Good interview with Cook on there, the guy seems like a brilliant appointment who will really take the club forward.

Also sounds like we will be raiding Blackburn i guess for Bentley and / or Cruz.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:02 pm

How will the City fans react to Man U icon Hughes ?

I quite rate him as manager, he'll inject some steel in your side....if you could add Ronaldinho & Bentley to that : wow ! Ale
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:35 pm

Axeslammer wrote:How will the City fans react to Man U icon Hughes ?

I quite rate him as manager, he'll inject some steel in your side....if you could add Ronaldinho & Bentley to that : wow ! Ale

88% in a poll in the local paper said they were behind him so very well. They know he is a good manager who will do his best in order to make us a top class side.

A few arnt sure but the vast majority are well behind him. TBH i think he is a great appointment.
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10245

Post by Murray Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:42 pm

This could drag on right to the end of the transfer window, dinho will wait as long as possible until he gets an offer he likes.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:24 pm

Sgoater1 wrote:From the BBC:

Cook was an executive at Nike before he joined City and his connections with the American sportswear firm, who sponsor Ronaldinho, could help in negotiations.

"I've still kept some great relationships there and they're helping us along the way. I'm still talking to the Nike guys and they've been very supportive," he revealed.

Can't emphasise enough how important that's going to be. Obviously 90% of the work is convincing Ronaldinho about Man. City, but Rosell's Nike contacts were what made the process of Ronaldinho to Barça so smooth.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:40 pm

kas wrote:
    Sgoater1 wrote:From the BBC:

Can't emphasise enough how important that's going to be. Obviously 90% of the work is convincing Ronaldinho about Man. City, but Rosell's Nike contacts were what made the process of Ronaldinho to Barça so smooth.

Yeah i dont know if you listened to the interview with Cook but you can tell from that that his contacts have really helped the deal. He says the deal is obviously complicated but we are making progress and ticking off one box at a time. The concern is Milan and Chelsea (unless osmeone else is in for him) BUT Milan dont seem to want to spend the amount we will on him and Chelsea dont have a manager, plus where would they play him. With either of those two teams he will just be a squad player and thats not what Ronnie needs at this time in his career, he needs to feel needed and be the main man, with us he will have that. He should look at whats happend to Shev at Chelsea...that would put him off.

Its hard cos the deal seems to be going well but i dont want to get to excited, it would truly be one of the best days of my life if we signed him, it would be incredible.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:56 pm

Manchester City are a step closer to landing Barcelona attacker Ronaldinho.
    AC Milan have dropped out of the running, so making City the only serious contender for the Brazilian.

Milan chief Adriano Galliani said today: "We need to sign a new striker - and it will not be Ronaldinho."

Get in there !
    Rosicky
    Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
    Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
    Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:02 pm

I hope you sign him goat, it would be great for the prem Ale
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:10 pm

Rosicky wrote:I hope you sign him goat, it would be great for the prem Ale

<Ale> yeah me too mate, id do a sex wee in my pants if we get him !
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:17 pm

AC Milan cannot compete with City's wage offer to Brazilian star Ronaldinho, according to Rossoneri chief Adriano Galliani.

The Blues, Milan, Chelsea and LA Galaxy have all been linked with the 28-year-old, who has been told he is surplus to requirements at Barcelona.

"For now Italian football is ranked fourth in Europe behind England, Spain and Germany," vice-president Galliani told the Gazzetta dello Sport.

"Unfortunately we can't compete with the wages they offer.

"It is the way our football is going unless we change things.

"We'd like to offer Ronaldinho from Barcelona a chance of playing for us.

"Manchester City, though, have offered the Brazilian 12million euros (£9.5million) a year. How can we compete?

"Well, only if they give him to us for free!"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good news !
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:23 pm

I dont know if you should trust this Sgoater1. they said the same before that they were out of it and suddenly there was talks that they were talking with Barcelona. I still think he will end up in Milan and they know that Ronaldinho wants to go there so they can play the waiting game untill Barcelona drop the price. allthough it would be great to see Ronaldinho play in a City shirt.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:25 pm

Do you not think 200k a week is a bit excessive?
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:27 pm

Well how often will City have the chance to get one of the best players in the world. they should take this chance if Ronaldinho is willing to come.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:31 pm

Super Madrid wrote:Well how often will City have the chance to get one of the best players in the world. they should take this chance if Ronaldinho is willing to come.

What if it doesn't work? What if he gets injured? It's a massive risk. Factamundo. ok
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:53 pm

Kimbo wrote:
    Super Madrid wrote:Well how often will City have the chance to get one of the best players in the world. they should take this chance if Ronaldinho is willing to come.

What if it doesn't work? What if he gets injured? It's a massive risk. Factamundo. ok
    Sure and im not saying it will work but how often do City get such a chance. if he does play bad then he will still have a high enough profile for City to sell him to another club.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:56 pm

Kimbo wrote:Do you not think 200k a week is a bit excessive?

Yeah but we wouldnt be paying all of that, sponsors would take care of a lot of his wages, whilst we will make a percentage of his marketing stuff which is a lot. This is why its such a complex deal.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:46 pm

That 48 hours is looking a bit ambitious now...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 1:44 pm