Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
Batman
Murray
Khadrim
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!
Aristoskank
Tweesus
Romford Pele
Deano
fcb
Glenarch of the Glen
Di Caniooooo!
Riviera
rosenthal
L r dd
Jaime
Sgoater1
20 posters

City open talks to sign Eto'o

Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

City open talks to sign Eto'o Empty City open talks to sign Eto'o

Post by Sgoater1 Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:17 am

From the Mail:

Samuel Eto'o will tonight lead the line for Barcelona, but his future at the club is far from certain after president Joan Laporta flew into London yesterday seeking to find a
    buyer for the prolific Cameroon striker.

Sources in Spain claim that Manchester City are to be sounded out as Eto’o has
    only one year remaining on his contract. It is understood that other clubs will also be asked if they are interested.

Asked if Laporta would meet with Tottenham, a Spanish source claimed: ‘He will meet first with Manchester City, but will also listen to any club ready to pay a good fee.’

Eto’o, 28, would fetch around £30million in the summer and could be the sort of high profile player City want.

Chelsea are another prospective buyer.

From The Times

Barcelona held talks with Manchester City yesterday about the transfer of Samuel Eto’o.

On the eve of his team’s Champions League semi-final, first leg with Chelsea, Joan Laporta, the Barcelona president, met Garry Cook, the Manchester City executive chairman, in London to discuss a deal for the striker. The Spanish club have also offered Eto’o, who could command a fee of up to £15 million, to Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur.

City remain keen on signing another superstar to play alongside Robinho after their unsuccessful attempt to buy Kaká for a world-record £103 million from AC Milan in January. Barcelona’s position has been weakened by Eto’o, 28, stalling on the offer of a new four-year contract, which means that he could leave on a free transfer when his present deal expires in 14 months.

Tottenham balked at meeting Eto’o’s wages of £100,000 a week last summer, but City’s ultra-ambitious owners demonstrated their seemingly limitless pockets by offering Kaká £500,000 a week.

Eto’o, who has scored 32 goals in 42 appearances this term, is an integral part of a three-pronged attack, with Lionel Messi and Thierry Henry, that has scored more league goals between them than the entire Chelsea squad — 66 as opposed to 56.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously after the Ronaldinho and Kaka bids im taking everything with a pinch of salt. If we did sign him i think he would be a brilliant buy, he is one of my favourite strikers in Europe and i thin he would fit into our style and formation and do very well in the EPL.

Does anyone think he will leave Barce ? could Chelsea go for him?(rumours have it Anelka might leave )
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

City open talks to sign Eto'o Empty Re: City open talks to sign Eto'o

Post by Jaime Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 am

I think the generally accepted theory is that Eto'o is not going to allow Barcelona to decide his future. If someone had come in with a decent offer for him last summer the club surely would have accepted. But I think the cules would agree that the most likely scenario is that he will refuse a move next summer, play out the last season of his current contract and then move on a free to the destination of his choice.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:30 am

Jaime wrote:I think the generally accepted theory is that Eto'o is not going to allow Barcelona to decide his future. If someone had come in with a decent offer for him last summer the club surely would have accepted. But I think the cules would agree that the most likely scenario is that he will refuse a move next summer, play out the last season of his current contract and then move on a free to the destination of his choice.

I hope not cos id love to sign him but we will have to see.

Is it the African Nations next season ?
    Jaime
    Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:38 am

Yes, 2010 is CAN. I'd love for you to sign him; I hate that guy and I'd love to see him as far away from Barcelona as possible. But I think he'll probably stay for one more year. Just to annoy Guardiola.
    L r dd

Number of posts : 12451
    Registration date : 2008-12-22

Post by L r dd Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:47 am

With Robinho and Eto'o it's fair to say Real Madrid fans may have some serious hatred towards Man City in the future years. Maybe people in general. Though personally i like both those players, just could get a bit tricky with such big ego's and players with previous problems with their own clubs for various reasons. Throw in Bellamy and even Ireland who seems a bit dodgy sometimes and it's a mix that could blow up at some point. Still Robinho Eto'o and say another top attacking player, suddenly it looks very good for City.
    rosenthal
    rosenthal

Number of posts : 822
    Supports : Tottenham Hotspur
    Favourite Player : רוני רוזנטל
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by rosenthal Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:56 am

Best striker in the world, but probably wont be for many years more. Too much money involved for us "normal" clubs, guess City is likely to land him. Can't believe Tottenham are in for him at all.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:09 am

rosenthal wrote:Best striker in the world, but probably wont be for many years more. Too much money involved for us "normal" clubs, guess City is likely to land him. Can't believe Tottenham are in for him at all.

I could see Spurs going for him, but it would depend on how much Barce want plus we could offer more wages, although Eto'o might want to go to London but im confident we could see them off.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:14 am

L-r d wrote:With Robinho and Eto'o it's fair to say Real Madrid fans may have some serious hatred towards Man City in the future years. Maybe people in general. Though personally i like both those players, just could get a bit tricky with such big ego's and players with previous problems with their own clubs for various reasons. Throw in Bellamy and even Ireland who seems a bit dodgy sometimes and it's a mix that could blow up at some point. Still Robinho Eto'o and say another top attacking player, suddenly it looks very good for City.

Yeah Eto'o does have an ego but hopefully it would be ok, it has the potential if we can get him to be an awsome attack. Rob on the left Eto'o in the centre Ireland behind him and SWP on the right with Kompany and De Jong holding...sounds brilliant to me. Petrov, Bojinov, Bellamy and Elano as back up Very Happy

Post by Guest Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:49 am

his situation is very sticky and only he really knows,what his next move will me.

but recently, he has been making the right noises

saying he whats to stay at the club.

if he were to leave barca, i don't think he would sign for city.
    Riviera
    Riviera

Number of posts : 5411
    Favourite Player : Iniesta, Hangeland
    Registration date : 2007-04-11

Post by Riviera Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:51 am

HAHA

not going to happen, Man City is like... You know how a kid always wants the red lollypop in stead of the green one? Man Cty is like the green lollypop
    Di Caniooooo!

Number of posts : 10829
    Supports : West Ham
    Favourite Player : Paolo Di Canio, Moore, Hurst, Peters
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Di Caniooooo! Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:55 am

Spending money on an aging good striker, makes as much sense as Di Canio to Man United.
    Riviera
    Riviera

Post by Riviera Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:56 am

Yeah except that Di Canio isn't good enough for EPL
    Jaime
    Jaime

Post by Jaime Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:56 am

Since when is 28 (just) "aging". F*cking hell, the man probably has 4 years of top flight football in him.
    Di Caniooooo!

Post by Di Caniooooo! Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:57 am

Riviera wrote:Yeah except that Di Canio isn't good enough for EPL
    Yeah, scored goals, one of the best goals in prem history, played for Juventus, AC Milan, Lazio....
    Di Caniooooo!

Post by Di Caniooooo! Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:58 am

Jaime wrote:Since when is 28 (just) "aging". F*cking hell, the man probably has 4 years of top flight football in him.
    damn, thought he was older than that Laughing
    Riviera
    Riviera

Post by Riviera Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:58 am

Di Caniooooo! wrote:
    [n]Yeah, scored goals, one of the best goals in prem history[/b], played for Juventus, AC Milan, Lazio....

I also score goals, you don't see me playing for Man utd Rolling Eyes
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:22 am

can anyone really see Manchester City signing someone like Eto'o?

For all the talk of superstars in January they ended up with Bridge, Given, de Jong and Bellamy. Decent players, but hardly the elite.

They can certainly attract the fringe players from top sides, or the top players from midtable clubs but I think when it comes to the top players they'll be linked, make offers, but inevitably just drive the price up for the CL sides. If they're aware of this it could be a great smokescreen while they concentrate on their realistic targets, the likes of Bridge, Given, Santa Cruz, Downing and co.

I'm not sure Eto'o would be right for the Premiership or for Man City anyway. All the sides above them have at least one big sexy sixfooter up front. By comparison Robinho, SWP, Bellamy and Eto'o all represent the lollipop guild.

We'll have another 5 months of these kinds of stories, but I would be very surprised if a first team regular for a big club like Barcelona, who could walk into pretty much any club in the world, chooses City. Not this season.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Post by Jaime Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:49 am

I sort of agree with Glenn but then again, there are some greedy c*nts out there - e.g. Robinho. And it would probably only take one or two more really good players (a striker and a centre back probably) to get them to the point of at least challenging for the 4th CL place. But for example, a player like Forlan (not him per se since I don't know if he wants to go back to England after his experience with Man U) who is with a team like Atletico - there's a good chance he's not playing in Europe anyhow, and if City come in, offer him a lot of money, offer him a promising project, then he might leave and then City have a player who can guarantee you 20-25 goals.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:15 am

Jaime's initial post is right - Etoo has said he won't leave this summer, and the talk in the Barcelona papers is that he won't even extend his contract beyond 2010...the club will be forced to offer him an extension this summer, so let's see how the negotiations go.
    Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Deano Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:50 am

Are you for real? Honestly...

As for the original thread...why would Eto'o go to Man City? I'm sure a host of other clubs would be after him.
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
    Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
    Favourite Player : Ozil
    Registration date : 2006-10-05

Post by Romford Pele Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:48 am

I'd lose a lot of respect for Eto'o if he went to Coty but I'm oretty sure he won't. Like Kaka he'll want to play at a team with prestige.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:21 pm

Jaime wrote: the destination of his choice.

Arsenal Ale
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by Aristoskank Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:35 pm

Surely no one is taking this seriously?
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:47 pm

Why would he want to join a club that is currently working its way backwards despite having spent over £100m on players?
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by Aristoskank Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:21 pm

Tweedle wrote:Why would he want to join a club that is currently working its way backwards despite having spent over £100m on players?

Arsenal?
    L r dd

Number of posts : 12451
    Registration date : 2008-12-22

Post by L r dd Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:23 pm

I reckon it will happen. Just think it's horrible timing for Barca. Meeting with Man City officials about selling one of your best players when there is a close title race and huge cl games happening right now. Doesn't seem smart to me Eto'o is surely going to be asked about it a lot in the coming days and weeks.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:35 pm

This doesn't appear anywhere in the Spanish press, except as a "according to the English press" rumour. Why would Laporta be in London considering the game is in Barcelona today scratch

Doesn't sound true to me at all. And the lack of attention given to it shows that it's not affecting the team just yet.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:43 pm

It sounds like media stirring.

The Spanish press are masters at it. Not often that you see the English press trying it in the lead-up to a big game.

Number of posts : 4759
    Supports : Italia and Milan
    Registration date : 2007-05-10

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:54 pm

City showed themselves to be really classy last time in dealing with Kaka'. After all, Milan "bottled" it according to them. I mean Milan are not used to big player deals at all. City are.

I don't think this will happen because no player wants to move to City until they're in the CL, which does not look like happening for some time.
    Khadrim
    Khadrim

Number of posts : 1719
    Supports : Fulham soft spot for Liverpool, Newcastle, Wolfsburg, Rubin Kazan
    Favourite Player : Paintsil, Barry, Iniesta, Ozil
    Registration date : 2007-03-27

Post by Khadrim Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:01 pm

City should really be focusing on the defence. A replacement for Dunne should be a much higher priority.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 2:31 am