Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
L.r.d
mongrel hawk
Axeslammer
Rasiak-9
Bashmachkin
shazlx
Kimbo
bluenine
debaser
Pierre Littbarski
Enigma
15 posters

The Sad Thing About Podolski

Enigma
    Enigma

Number of posts : 415
    Supports : Die deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Favourite Player : Klose
    Registration date : 2007-08-07

The Sad Thing About Podolski Empty The Sad Thing About Podolski

Post by Enigma Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:12 pm

Podolski, regardless if you are a German supporter or German hater, performs wonderfully at the international level. Already he has 3 goals and he is second in the top scorer list, only behind David Villa and he still can tie/surpass him today. He does so great at the international level but he does nothing at the club level. He comes on for Toni or Klose at Bayern Münich, but as you can tell his performance is one that should let him start.

Dare I say it, but I really do believe Podolski one day could outperform Toni, and with that, maybe should be started ahead of the olive picking Italian.

Think about it. <Ale>
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

The Sad Thing About Podolski Empty Re: The Sad Thing About Podolski

Post by Pierre Littbarski Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:54 pm

International tournies atre same standard as UEFA Cup, not CL, and that is the level of Klose/Podolski and Toni to be fair.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:58 pm

Podolski is as good as Hakan Yakin, this much we know.

He really should be playing first team at club level, and I'm sure there will be plenty of suitors after this championship.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti

Post by bluenine Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:20 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:International tournies atre same standard as UEFA Cup, not CL, and that is the level of Klose/Podolski and Toni to be fair.
    I have read this quite a few times here before, and I must add my disagreement to what clearly is the popular belief on this MB.

IMO a championship like Euro2008 is above the standard of the CL. The quality of players is generally higher, the prestige is higher, the pressure is MUCH higher, and the difference between the best and the worst is lower. While I can understand the arguement that the intl teams have had much less time to gel together as compared to club sides, the higher standard of players and the spirit of playin for your country more than makes up for that. That IMO makes the standard of the competition higher than the CL.

Can you honestly compare the standard of CL group phase with what we have witnessed so far in Euro2008? The quality of games has been brilliant, its rare to see this even in the final stages of the CL competition.

On the second note, I am sure you are just taking the piss regarding the standard of players like Toni and Klose.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:28 pm

I sort of agree with Pierre tbh. Not about Klose, Podolski, and Toni being UEFA cup quality, but about the tournament. Yes there's been some exciting games, but the quality ain't great as most teams lack cohesion. All apart from Holland if you ask me. Look at Italy, loads of good players but they have played like Cr@p and just kept trying to punt it up to Toni. Last nights game was great aswell, but the quality was awful.
    shazlx
    shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
    Supports : Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
    Registration date : 2006-11-08

Post by shazlx Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:35 pm

I like Podolski as a winger/wide attack more than as a SK/SS?FW. He can make some intelligent passes and has good pace/drive and good crossing technique. Wouldn't mind him for £8M-£10M
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:24 pm

Kimbo wrote:I sort of agree with Pierre tbh. Not about Klose, Podolski, and Toni being UEFA cup quality, but about the tournament. Yes there's been some exciting games, but the quality ain't great as most teams lack cohesion. All apart from Holland if you ask me. Look at Italy, loads of good players but they have played like Cr@p and just kept trying to punt it up to Toni. Last nights game was great aswell, but the quality was awful.
    $h!t happens sometimes.... the Italy team against holland wasn't too different from the one which won the world cup... there are times good teams play like shite, happens even in the CL... I have seen Inter play some really terrible games...

Is the Italian team better than any club side from Serie A? Yes, most definately.

I understand what you are saying about lack of cohesion tho... however, the factors in favour of the Euro I mentioned above more than make up for it.

See the way Turkey played yesterday... it was unbelievable, on that day that turkey side could have beaten almost anyone... including any club side, coz that kind of fierce determination can beat anyone. Thats very rare to see in CL.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Post by Pierre Littbarski Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:56 pm

bluenine wrote:
    Pierre Littbarski wrote:International tournies atre same standard as UEFA Cup, not CL, and that is the level of Klose/Podolski and Toni to be fair.
    I have read this quite a few times here before, and I must add my disagreement to what clearly is the popular belief on this MB.

IMO a championship like Euro2008 is above the standard of the CL. The quality of players is generally higher, the prestige is higher, the pressure is MUCH higher, and the difference between the best and the worst is lower. While I can understand the arguement that the intl teams have had much less time to gel together as compared to club sides, the higher standard of players and the spirit of playin for your country more than makes up for that. That IMO makes the standard of the competition higher than the CL.

Can you honestly compare the standard of CL group phase with what we have witnessed so far in Euro2008? The quality of games has been brilliant, its rare to see this even in the final stages of the CL competition.

On the second note, I am sure you are just taking the piss regarding the standard of players like Toni and Klose.

That's quite incredible.

CL teams can buy the players that they need to improve their team whereas at International level, you've got what you've got.

You can import an Adebayor or a Drogba at club level - there isn't a single team at this level who wouldn't improve substantially by having one of those 2.

Holland are the only team that have played great football so far but would they be able to play that against the defences of Arsenal, Chelsea, United, Liverpool, Milan, Inter, Barca ?

I don't think so.

Toni is very good but not top class.

In this order:

1. Champions League KO stages
    2. Meetings between the big 4 or so in England, Italy and Spain.
    3. CL Group Phases/UEFA Cup/English, Italian and SPanish games out side of the top 4
    4. International tournies

I can remember Toni scoring a couple against Inter on teh opening day a couple of seasons back but I don't think his record against top clubs is outstanding.

If you don't have pace then you need to be able to strike the ball hard and properly with the laces because players without pace can be kept far from goal and a side foot is no good from there.

Toni has neither of these attributes, same as Crouch and Klose, so they'll do well to a certain level but they'll never be top class.

Whilst he hasn't done as well as Toni overrall if you had to play a do or die game against a top 4 club from one of the big 3 leagues I'd take Iaquinta anyday over Toni.

* edit - there's no doubt that Toni has a good touch and can finish with both feet and head but he doesn't have pace or a true strike of the ball - on top of this I have serious doubts about his character.

His body language is appauling and he is certainly not someone you'd want on your side when the chips are down, he doesn't have the confidence, aggression or general strength of character that a top striker needs - Fiorentina have missed him terribly
    Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Pierre Littbarski on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Bashmachkin
    Bashmachkin

Number of posts : 2374
    Registration date : 2007-02-09

Post by Bashmachkin Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:57 pm

blue:

I don't agree that the Italian side are better than any club side from Serie A - certainly not the Italian side that is taking part in this tournament. I don't see that they compare to the likes of Inter or Roma either when looking at their individual players or when looking at their team play, their cohesion, their style of play. The Italian back four is playing poorly, but it's not only that the players are off form or haven't played together enough - on paper, the back fours from Inter, Roma, Juve are all better. The midfield Italy played in their last game, with De Rossi and Perrotta alongside Pirlo (and with Camoranesi ahead of them) sounded good, but De Rossi and Perrotta were shadows of their Roma selves, with little quality movement off the ball, with De Rossi rarely driving forward. The Italian midfield hasn't gelled so far. And as you yourself say, someone like Del Piero seems to struggle to perform for the national team despite a good season for Juventus.

I don't think it is true that the top national squads feature more quality than top club squads - I think the quality of squads tends to be pretty similar. But I think it is an ideal that national spirit and fervour makes up for a lack of familiarity, cohesion, practise. I think a lot of players don't care especially so for international football; and whether they do or do not care, they are under more pressure at international level. Perhaps it is true that a national team can excel with the backing of their nation - obviously, no club team can unite a nation as much as a national side can, and I think there is something powerful in that type of support, and it can create, very quickly, a really positive mentality and an atmosphere that can sweep a team along. But that requires a national team to perform in the first place - that support has to be earnt, and like I say, if it isn't earnt, then a national team will soon find itself under a huge amount of pressure.

I think Turkey are a particular case. They were very determined yesterday - they seemed to feel a sense of injustice during the game, and perhaps they were particularly determined since the Turkish team may be seen as frequent underachievers in international football. Ultimately, I think they were quite fortunate in winning the game despite their determination - they're the type of team that can play nice stuff, but that struggles to finish moves off, and they got back into the game via two mistakes from Cech.

Overall, I do think club football is more advanced because it features teams with more cohesion; it features teams who are built to be teams, teams who can buy players to fit certain positions, to add what has been missing; whereas international sides get little time together, and have to make do with what is at their disposal. The entertainment level at this tournament has been huge, but I think the key thing hasn't been that the international sides are showing more quality than club sides - it is that sides at this tournament seem a bit more positive, seem to possess more attacking mentalities. Hopefully such mentalities will carry on into club football next season.
    Rasiak-9
    Rasiak-9

Number of posts : 2605
    Supports : Southampton
    Registration date : 2007-01-17

Post by Rasiak-9 Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:57 pm

I can see why you'd think that but I believe its too simplistic a judgement mainly because of the variety of talent levels in all teams.

Using my team as an example, we have a world-class CL level player in goal with a 3-goal last season championship striker leading the line. In between those we have Uefa cup standard players in the team such as Kryznowek and Golanski as well as players who've never played outside of Poland, which is really a c/ship/league 1 level league.

Likewise, its the same for other teams, theres generally a mix of talent in squads and of course the standard changes and gets higher as you go through the competition.

To say Internationals = UEFA cup standard football I do feel is a tad naive as you can't really just say that this is the standard it all averages out at.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:11 am

Pierre Littbarski wrote:

You can import an Adebayor or a Drogba at club level - there isn't a single team at this level who wouldn't improve substantially by having one of those 2.

I beg to differ Ale

(a decent defender, say Pepe or Goian, instead of Mathijsen would be a blessing though)
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
    Supports : Corinthians

Post by mongrel hawk Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:09 am

those are different dimensions, you cannot compare them.

Podolski is great for Germany and not so good for his club, but it doesn't mean that his club games are more difficult than his national team games.

there are loads of players who are/were better at their clubs than at their national teams: Diego, Cristiano Ronaldo, Riquelme, Lampard, Gerrard, Henri, Máicon, Toti, Ibrahimovic, etc.

I'd say Robinho too, but he's mediocre at both levels (except in nothing-games against poor opposition, when he becomes a kind of grotesque Garrincha).

as a neutral, I think euro games are being much better to watch than last CL games.
    L.r.d
    L.r.d

Number of posts : 5614
    Registration date : 2007-12-21

Post by L.r.d Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:20 am

mongrel hawk wrote:those are different dimensions, you cannot compare them.

Podolski is great for Germany and not so good for his club, but it doesn't mean that his club games are more difficult than his national team games.

there are loads of players who are/were better at their clubs than at their national teams: Diego, Cristiano Ronaldo, Riquelme, Lampard, Gerrard, Henri, Máicon, Toti, Ibrahimovic, etc.

I'd say Robinho too, but he's mediocre at both levels (except in nothing-games against poor opposition, when he becomes a kind of grotesque Garrincha).

as a neutral, I think euro games are being much better to watch than last CL games.

Hmmmmm...... This one really is not correct at all. Think he's already in the top 8 scorers of all time for Portugal, and was great in last two tournies and qualifying for wc. And so far so good in this one.
    110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:24 am

I agree with bash and pierre

portugal is a good example of the difference between a great national side and a great club side, the club side can go out and buy a great striker the national side have to make do with what they've got, and a lot is limited by your population, number of players playing the game, how well developed the league is, how good the development of youth players is etc. When you go out and buy someone you only have the issues of how good they are and how much they cost.

As for the italy example, the guys who played in central midfield in the first game for italy are going to play in the UEFA cup next season, toni plays in the bundesliga, half the defence are not regular starters for their clubs, they would get beat by inter, juve, roma, fiorentina, so yes they are uefa cup standard. 2 years ago italy were a lot better defensively through cannavaro, gattuso etc one is not there, and the other has been playing below UEFA cup standard all season, and you are missing totti. Toni never did anything at the world cup either.
    Khadrim
    Khadrim

Number of posts : 1719
    Supports : Fulham soft spot for Liverpool, Newcastle, Wolfsburg, Rubin Kazan
    Favourite Player : Paintsil, Barry, Iniesta, Ozil
    Registration date : 2007-03-27

Post by Khadrim Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:14 pm

I'm confused by the argument about cohesion as it seems to be mainly about defense. By that logic Greece 2004 would beat any Champions league team.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:43 pm

The sad thing about Podolski, other than that he decided to be German, is that he is hyped out of all context due to some good performances against 3rd rate teams. Let's see how he plays against Portugal before we start the teabagging and tromboning Ale
    110%

Post by 110% Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:55 pm

Khadrim wrote:I'm confused by the argument about cohesion as it seems to be mainly about defense. By that logic Greece 2004 would beat any Champions league team.

Greece in 2004 were very strong in defence and won a lot on set-pieces, and it is quite possible that they would have beaten whoever won the CL that year, but only 1-0 Wink. Maybe the conditions of it being very hot in portugal helped certain countries who could cope with it better as well.

I would say it is cohesion all over the pitch, but there are some countries like greece where the top players might all have played together at panathaniakos, aek etc before moving abroad and so know each others game better. This applies for the turks and many eastern europeans as well, who seem a more cohesion unit rather a group of stars.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:03 pm

Khadrim wrote:I'm confused by the argument about cohesion as it seems to be mainly about defense. By that logic Greece 2004 would beat any Champions league team.

It's not mainly about defence at all, in fact it has more to do with attack. Defending like Greece is the easy thing to do, all you have to do is sit back and hoof it long, you don't have to make runs and pick passes.

Last edited by Kimbo on Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    dont panic!
    dont panic!

Number of posts : 965
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by dont panic! Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:15 pm

bluenine wrote:

IMO a championship like Euro2008 is above the standard of the CL.

!!!!...poland..austria...switzerland...france...even germany and maybe italy..have been AWFUL so far....CL is way better..

however..what holland have shown and maybe portugal is on a par if not better than most CL games have shown..
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:45 pm

<Ale>
    110%

Post by 110% Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:55 pm

bluenine wrote:

<Ale>

you said the standard is better, he said it is better to watch ie more entertaining

I would say it is because the teams have all been defensievly bad up to now, compared to euro 2004 or the world cup 2006 for example when they were defensively strong. That definitely wasn't anywhere as good to watch as the CL.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Post by Pierre Littbarski Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:00 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:there's no doubt that Toni has a good touch and can finish with both feet and head but he doesn't have pace or a true strike of the ball - on top of this I have serious doubts about his character.

His body language is appauling and he is certainly not someone you'd want on your side when the chips are down, he doesn't have the confidence, aggression or general strength of character that a top striker needs - Fiorentina have missed him terribly
    Rolling Eyes

Whistle

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:51 pm