Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
Deluded F*ck™
Rosicky
Parks lives
Kroos
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!
Rez
fcb
Axeslammer
Effenberg
bluenine
Tweesus
dont panic!
16 posters

podolski a let down?

dont panic!
    dont panic!

Number of posts : 965
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

podolski a let down? Empty podolski a let down?

Post by dont panic! Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:21 am

ive just read he only scored 4 goals in the league this whole past season?..is this true?...

isnt that a bit too little for someone who is..if the hype is to be believed...better than 'average players' such as rooney?

even crouch out scores him for gods sake!!!

an explantion please...
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

podolski a let down? Empty Re: podolski a let down?

Post by Tweesus Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:50 am

The explanation is that he's not as good as some posters ed us to believe.

Even when Rooney was 16 and had limited opportunities he still managed 7 goals in his first season.

I've been much more impressed by Schaudralf (sp)
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:01 am

Podolski was never in the same level as Rooney.

That said, I think the media is making too much of one bad season... when your club plays so bad, sometimes a player can have a bad season as well. Podolski is a very talented lad, and I am quite sure he will come good.
    Effenberg
    Effenberg

Number of posts : 3975
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Effenberg Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:20 am

I guess one could also mention that he suffered his first grave injury this season.

But that doesn't work well with don't panic's anti-German propaganda.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:57 pm

He cost bayern the title, just a normal season for him Laugh
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona

Post by fcb Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:28 pm

And also Bayern had Magath as manager, who supposedly doesn't like youngsters. In fact, I don't think Podolsko even played a decent amount of time till Hitzfeld came in.
    Effenberg
    Effenberg

Post by Effenberg Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:35 pm

kas wrote:And also Bayern had Magath as manager, who supposedly doesn't like youngsters. In fact, I don't think Podolsko even played a decent amount of time till Hitzfeld came in.

Not to mention also that he scored 10 in 19 matches for Cologne in his first Bundsliga season at the age of 18.

Minor details in the German-bashers' world.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:46 pm

Effenberg wrote:

Not to mention also that he scored 10 in 19 matches for Cologne in his first Bundsliga season at the age of 18.

Kezman scored loads for PSV Whistle
    Rez

Number of posts : 3757
    Registration date : 2006-10-06

Post by Rez Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:05 pm

He was never that good in the first place, so you cant be a let down if no one expects anything. Otto liked the idea of having a German wonderkid to rival Rooney, but it was just an idea. In practice he is more of a rival to Darren Bent, than Rooney.

He is a good player, but if you expected him to be as good as Rooney, you will be in for the biggest disappointment of your life.

Number of posts : 4759
    Supports : Italia and Milan
    Registration date : 2007-05-10

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:17 am

Rez wrote:He was never that good in the first place, so you cant be a let down if no one expects anything. Otto liked the idea of having a German wonderkid to rival Rooney, but it was just an idea. In practice he is more of a rival to Darren Bent, than Rooney.

He is a good player, but if you expected him to be as good as Rooney, you will be in for the biggest disappointment of your life.

I must say during Euro2004 I thought Rooney was something really special. Since then he hasn't developed as rapidly as one would have thought. Sure he has had his injuries, but the hype surrounding him was immense even by English standards.

I personally don't think he is in the top tier of young talent (Messi, C. Ronaldo). Is he better than Podolski? I haven't seen enough of Podolski to be honest, so I can't judge.
    Kroos
    Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
    Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
    Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan

Post by Kroos Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:12 am

that wasnt the best year for munich and podolski

rooney played for an attacking manu, so its a lot more easier to make goals and shine
    dont panic!
    dont panic!

Post by dont panic! Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:58 am

Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:
    Rez wrote:He was never that good in the first place, so you cant be a let down if no one expects anything. Otto liked the idea of having a German wonderkid to rival Rooney, but it was just an idea. In practice he is more of a rival to Darren Bent, than Rooney.

I must say during Euro2004 I thought Rooney was something really special. Since then he hasn't developed as rapidly as one would have thought. Sure he has had his injuries, but the hype surrounding him was immense even by English standards.

I personally don't think he is in the top tier of young talent (Messi, C. Ronaldo). Is he better than Podolski? I haven't seen enough of Podolski to be honest, so I can't judge.

yep..rooney has had a few injuries at important times...2004 showed what he can do when on form and in a team thats playing well..his injury severely affected england chances against portugal which speaks volumes for his talent...2006 he was coming back from a long lay off and playing in a team that wasnt working..he is absolutely in the top tier...no doubt about that at all as far as im concerned..

the hype you mention is partly invented as a reason to attack the 'arrogant english'..it all stems from SGE statement after the euro04 about rooney and pele..people deliberately misquoted SGE making it sound like he was saying rooney was the next pele..as good as pele etc..which he didnt at all...still..if it makes people feel better..
    dont panic!
    dont panic!

Post by dont panic! Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:03 am

Effenberg wrote:I guess one could also mention that he suffered his first grave injury this season.

But that doesn't work well with don't panic's anti-German propaganda.

?..why should that be mentioned...rooney..beckham etc all have had far worse injuries that have affected their game at big tournaments/important times.....does that stop people simply saying they are over rated?..havnt performed..havnt lived up to expectations/hype etc......?

its not propaganda...its giving people facts to balance the hype we have heard about podolski etc...
    Effenberg
    Effenberg

Post by Effenberg Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:44 am

What hype? I'd say on this board it's 80-90% Podolski bashing. Just like this thread.

What's eating you anyway? Did the Germans wipe out your family or something?
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:54 am

I do agree to an extent.

Rooney is great when the team is playing well and he's in form. However there is a difference between that and actually making a team play well. In that he falls short of Ronaldo and Scholes for us.

Still has years though to improve that area.
    Rosicky
    Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
    Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
    Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:54 am

Effenberg wrote:What hype? I'd say on this board it's 80-90% Podolski bashing. Just like this thread.

have you never noticed the countless threads otto makes, purely to wind up the english? there has been hundreds....

surely one about a german player really isnt that bad
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:04 am

Rosicky wrote:
    Effenberg wrote:What hype? I'd say on this board it's 80-90% Podolski bashing. Just like this thread.

have you never noticed the countless threads otto makes, purely to wind up the english? there has been hundreds....

Tis wind up isn't funny though...
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:23 am

TeamSpirit™ wrote:
    Rosicky wrote:

Tis wind up isn't funny though...

neither are Otto's anymore
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:25 am

You missed his Champions league one Boro. Where Milan we're going to have a running sponsor on there shirts - '1,000,000 to throw the game'.

Laughing
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:29 am

Parks lives wrote:You missed his Champions league one Boro. Where Milan we're going to have a running sponsor on there shirts - '1,000,000 to throw the game'.

Laughing

Yeah, that one was a welcome return to form... Smiley
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:32 am

Otto should retire.
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:37 am

Otto and Dont Panic! Are the same person..

Wahre story
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:39 am

Does WAHRE GESCHICHTE mean Protects History? scratch

Because thats what the translation come up with on Babelfish.
    Effenberg
    Effenberg

Post by Effenberg Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:41 am

Wahre Geschichte = True story

Babelfish is retarded.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:43 am

lol!
    Rez

Post by Rez Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:40 pm

Rooney is a strange one, sometimes he can be magnificent sometimes he can be awful, but I guess he is still only 21. This season has been one of his worst seasons and he still scored 23 goals and got alot of assists. However sometimes, I did wonder if he knew how to control the ball. I think when he improves his consistency and finishing he will be a great player, who scores 30 goals a season and gets about 20 assists.

I personaly think his game is more complete than Ronaldo's. Ronaldo has had an awesome season, his skill and technique are almost unrivaled, but in terms of his teamwork and vision, he is miles behind Rooney. I rate Messi very highly, but for me he hasnt done enough yet to suggest he is in a tier above Rooney. Maybe when he plays two (or even one) full seasons in a row, he will prove he is a tier above.

At the moment I would say the top tier of young talent is Rooney, Messi, Fabregas and Ronaldo. However if the likes of Robben and Robinho played for the right clubs, they would be up there as well.
    dont panic!
    dont panic!

Post by dont panic! Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:57 pm

hmm..so podolski hasnt been hyped by certain germans here..and now its turned out hes not so special noone can bring it up?...

Sleep
    72-76-80-96-08
    72-76-80-96-08

Number of posts : 2258
    Supports : FC Hollywood
    Registration date : 2006-08-22

Post by 72-76-80-96-08 Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:25 pm

Rez wrote:

Rooney is a strange one, sometimes he can be magnificent sometimes he can be awful, but I guess he is still only 21. This season has been one of his worst seasons and he still scored 23 goals and got alot of assists. However sometimes, I did wonder if he knew how to control the ball. I think when he improves his consistency and finishing he will be a great player, who scores 30 goals a season and gets about 20 assists.

I personaly think his game is more complete than Ronaldo's. Ronaldo has had an awesome season, his skill and technique are almost unrivaled, but in terms of his teamwork and vision, he is miles behind Rooney. I rate Messi very highly, but for me he hasnt done enough yet to suggest he is in a tier above Rooney. Maybe when he plays two (or even one) full seasons in a row, he will prove he is a tier above.

At the moment I would say the top tier of young talent is Rooney, Messi, Fabregas and Ronaldo. However if the likes of Robben and Robinho played for the right clubs, they would be up there as well.

Rooney is SHITE

will NEVER be world class

might not even become "international class": EVER

perfectly decent against the likes of Boro and Sheffield though

---------------

Poldi is in for a very difficult time; Bochum want to have him on a loan now; at Bayern, with Toni and possibly even Klose joining, he will be sitting on the bench

fortunately, Makaay now seems to be on his way back to Holland

still, in terms of talent: Poldi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rooney

not that this means anything

--------------

Fabregas, Messi, Christiano, Robben, Ribery and Co are all HOPELESSLY overrated

watch out for GOMEZ though; he's the real deal
    Rez

Post by Rez Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:51 pm

Darling wrote:
    Rez wrote:

Rooney is SHITE

will NEVER be world class

might not even become "international class": EVER

perfectly decent against the likes of Boro and Sheffield though

---------------

Poldi is in for a very difficult time; Bochum want to have him on a loan now; at Bayern, with Toni and possibly even Klose joining, he will be sitting on the bench

fortunately, Makaay now seems to be on his way back to Holland

still, in terms of talent: Poldi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rooney

not that this means anything

--------------

Fabregas, Messi, Christiano, Robben, Ribery and Co are all HOPELESSLY overrated

watch out for GOMEZ though; he's the real deal

Otto

That was very blunt for you, I was expecting a few made up stats and some more hype and propoganda.

Anyway last time I checked; AC Milan, Roma, Chelsea,Holland, Argentina, France, Arsenal (with a German keeper) and Liverpool were all good sides.

Sorry Otto, but you made us believe Podolski was a great player, like say Rooney. However his 4 goals prove it was all a hype and that he is more Andy Johnson than Wayne Rooney.

Otto are there any good young players outside Germany? Otherwise Ferguson has wasted lots of money over the past 4 years buying supposed future world class players.
    72-76-80-96-08
    72-76-80-96-08

Number of posts : 2258
    Supports : FC Hollywood
    Registration date : 2006-08-22

Post by 72-76-80-96-08 Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:11 pm

are there any good young players outside Germany Question

well, MANY, obviously

Messi is a good player, ditto C.Ronaldo....

it's just that they are not nearly as good, or maybe complete, not to say consistently effectively, as many on here seem to believe

Robben or van Persie at Bayern would have produced the odd moment of brilliance; they would not have strengthened the club OVERALL though

Schweini and Poldi were FAR better at the World Cup

I would take Gomez over Messi anytime, if the aim was to win league titles

many of our young German talents are struggling now as well though

all very depressing

and don't believe the Nani-Andersen hype for God's sake

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:26 pm