Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
Glenarch of the Glen
bluenine
Jaime
Cesc Soler
Calidad
Z
Balls Grayson
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!
robert
fcb
TM
Formerly known as sheva7
16 posters

Brazilian players impact in La Liga and EPL

Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1899
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Brazilian players impact in La Liga and EPL Empty Brazilian players impact in La Liga and EPL

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:58 pm

Can you remember when was the last time brazilians had so little influence in La Liga? I can't.

Real Madrid and Barcelona have only one brazilian as a starter. Both are full backs. There aren't brazilian players in Atleti, Villareal and Valencia that can be considered indispensable for their respective squads, except Senna. Luís Fabiano was great last season, but I don't think that Sevilla will fight for the title.

Can you see this changing in the near future? Since the early 90's, when Bebeto signed for Deportivo, Brazil had important players in La Liga playing for contenders.

At the same time, more and more brazilians are moving to England. Six players were called up by Dunga on wednesday play in the EPL. Two years ago Gilberto Silva was the only EPL player that was regularly called up for the national squad.

However brazilians are far away from having the same impact that they had in La Liga and that they have in Serie A. A few years ago it would be impossible to think Barcelona and Real Madrid without brazilians as today it is impossible to think Milan and Inter without brazilian stars. The big four have brazilian players, but they are rotation players.

How long it will take until brazilians become protagonists in the EPL? Or this day will never come? Will they ever have the same impact they had in Spain?

It may be a coincidence, Geovanni just scored an amazing goal against Arsenal. Smile

Last edited by sheva7 on Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
    TM
    TM

Number of posts : 21218
    Supports : PROGRESS!
    Favourite Player : Luis Figo
    Registration date : 2006-08-16

Brazilian players impact in La Liga and EPL Empty Re: Brazilian players impact in La Liga and EPL

Post by TM Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:03 pm

It could go either way tbh, in the EPL the brazilians will earn top dollar, but the weather won't favour them.

I.e. Elano tends to be great during the summer, but during autumn and winter his form nose dives.

We'll have to wait for the next batch of Brazilan talents, there isn't much new players to import from Brazil at the moment tbh.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Brazilian players impact in La Liga and EPL Empty Re: Brazilian players impact in La Liga and EPL

Post by fcb Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:11 pm

Heh, I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw the Brazil squad earlier today...only Luis Fabiano and Dani Alves from La Liga Shocked
    robert
    robert

Number of posts : 5672
    Supports : Manchester United
    Favourite Player : Giggs
    Registration date : 2006-08-14

Post by robert Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:27 pm

Here goes the hype machine!

Possebon, the Da Silva Twins and Anderson will be pivotal players at man utd and maybe even Brazil in some 5 years.

Number of posts : 4759
    Supports : Italia and Milan
    Registration date : 2007-05-10

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:56 pm

Well Brazil are the most represented nation amongst EPL's foreigners.

Serie A seem to have the Brazlians that really matter in Kaka', Dinho, Pato, Maicon, Mancini, Adriano, Cesar etc. I think if Robinho is very successful in England, then we will see an influx of even more Brazilians there. The trend is changing.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:58 pm

We need to make a thread, "Dutch players impact in La Liga and everywhere"...RVN and VDV Sad
    Balls Grayson
    Balls Grayson

Number of posts : 1315
    Supports : Italy, Spain
    Registration date : 2007-02-25

Post by Balls Grayson Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:59 pm

Hi Hater wrote:It could go either way tbh, in the EPL the brazilians will earn top dollar, but the weather won't favour them.

I.e. Elano tends to be great during the summer, but during autumn and winter his form nose dives.

We'll have to wait for the next batch of Brazilan talents, there isn't much new players to import from Brazil at the moment tbh.

what?
    Z
    Z

Number of posts : 1414
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Fowler, Batistuta, Ronaldo, Totti, Torres
    Registration date : 2007-05-13

Post by Z Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:13 pm

Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:Well Brazil are the most represented nation amongst EPL's foreigners.

Serie A seem to have the Brazlians that really matter in Kaka', Dinho, Pato, Maicon, Mancini, Adriano, Cesar etc. I think if Robinho is very successful in England, then we will see an influx of even more Brazilians there. The trend is changing.

Have you got a link to this? Must be a new development cos I think there's always been more French players then anywhere else. Unless you are talking about non-EU players?

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:51 pm

Z wrote:
    Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:Well Brazil are the most represented nation amongst EPL's foreigners.

Have you got a link to this? Must be a new development cos I think there's always been more French players then anywhere else. Unless you are talking about non-EU players?

World Soccer (August 2008).

Yep, more than any other nationality.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:59 am

Until Robinho's move, I wouldn't have said any genuinely top class Brasilians had ever played in the EPL. They've tended to be in the tier below. So like Forza say's, if he proves to be successful it may entice more Brasilians to move to the EPL.

Also worth noting that a lot of Brasilians are also in the Bundesliga.
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Number of posts : 9944
    Supports : Arsenal FC
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Cesc Soler Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:09 am

sheva7 wrote:Geovanni just scored an amazing goal against Arsenal. Smile
    Cracking goal to be fair.

What is his reputation like in Brazil?

@ Calidad

I would say the Juninho was very close to be considered a top class Brazilian footballer at the time, even though it was indeed ages ago when he first moved to Teeside.

If that red tape wasn't in place about signing players fro Brazil before they turn 18, there would probably be more in the EPL.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:15 am

Cesc Soler wrote:

@ Calidad

I would say the Juninho was very close to be considered a top class Brazilian footballer at the time, even though it was indeed ages ago when he first moved to Teeside.

If that red tape wasn't in place about signing players fro Brazil before they turn 18, there would probably be more in the EPL.

I think it was todo that said he was barely known in Brasil though.
    Formerly known as sheva7

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:27 am

Calidad wrote:
    Cesc Soler wrote:

@ Calidad

I think it was todo that said he was barely known in Brasil though.

No, Juninho definitely was considered a top class footballer at the time. He was called up regularly by Zagallo. He would have been a starter at the 98 WC if it wasn't for that conte Michel Salgado.

Last edited by sheva7 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
    Formerly known as sheva7

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:29 am

Cesc Soler wrote:

@ Calidad

He is well known here, but he is just considered a decent player.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Jaime Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:06 am

I don't know...I'd always had the impression that there were more brasilians playing in Serie A historically. Like in 1994 - who of the World Cup squad aside from Bebeto and Romario played in Spain? I think in 1998 there was only Rivaldo and Roberto Carlos and the same in 2002.
    Balls Grayson
    Balls Grayson

Post by Balls Grayson Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:14 am

off the top of my head

Robinho
    Elano
    Jo
    Alves
    Gomes
    Alex
    Anderson
    Denilson
    Lucas
    Aurelio
    Cavelieri
    Belletti
    Geovani
    Fabio
    Raphael
    Possebon

any more?

do we count the likes of Deco, Eduardo?
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:23 pm

Thats an interesting thing you point out Forza... but in Italy, Brasilians are not just about quality... i recently had a bet with a mate on which nation added the most amount of foriegners to Serie A... I thought it was Argentina, and he felt it was brasil. Not counting the youth players and the players out on loan (there are many of those from these two nations), Serie A teams have 34 Argies and 44 Brasilians!!!!

The turin based teams (Juve and Torino) interestingly have the lowest amounts from these countries... only Amauri. The 2 Milan teams have 17.

And all this excluding the youth players and players out on loan... that could add upto 20-30% to these numbers.

So I would say its safe to assume that Serie A still has more brasilians than any other european league.
    Balls Grayson
    Balls Grayson

Post by Balls Grayson Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:16 pm

I thought that 'fact' seemed a little 'wrong'

and with work permit issues and hype I can't see there being another 30 Brazilians in the EPL that I haven't heard of.

Frenchers off the top of my head.........

Anelka
    Malouda
    Gallas
    Clichy
    Sagna
    Kaboul
    Saha
    Chimbonda
    Faubert
    Nasri
    Silvestre
    N'Zogbia
    Diaby
    Malbranque
    Cisse
    Kapo
    Diarra
    Aliadiare
    N'Gog

and that's before you look in the Arsenal youth team

Perhaps the article was about how there are more Brazilians in the EPL than ever before? I could believe that.

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:45 pm

"It is a measure of the rapidly changing nature of English football that there are now more Brazilians in the Premier League than any other foreign nationality" (World Soccer August 2008).

Maybe they are not counting EU players as foreign? I doubt it. That sentence is pretty unequivocal.
    Formerly known as sheva7

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:18 pm

Batglenn wrote:off the top of my head

Robinho
    Elano
    Jo
    Alves
    Gomes
    Alex
    Anderson
    Denilson
    Lucas
    Aurelio
    Cavelieri
    Belletti
    Geovani
    Fabio
    Raphael
    Possebon

any more?

do we count the likes of Deco, Eduardo?

Caçapa and Gilberto
    Formerly known as sheva7

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:39 pm

Jaime wrote:I don't know...I'd always had the impression that there were more brasilians playing in Serie A historically. Like in 1994 - who of the World Cup squad aside from Bebeto and Romario played in Spain? I think in 1998 there was only Rivaldo and Roberto Carlos and the same in 2002.

Mauro Silva.

Taffarel - Parma
    Jorginho - Bayern
    Aldair - Roma
    Márcio Santos - Bordeaux
    Leonardo - São Paulo
    Mauro Silva - Deportivo
    Dunga - Frankfurt
    Zinho - Palmeiras
    Mazinho - Palmeiras
    Bebeto - Deportivo
    Romário - Barcelona

Taffarel - Atlético Mineiro
    Cafu - Roma
    Aldair - Roma
    Júnior Baiano - Flamengo
    Ruinberto Carlos - Madrid
    Dunga - Stuttgart
    César Sampaio - Japanese club
    Leonardo - Milan
    Rivaldo - Barça
    Bebeto - Botafogo
    Ronaldo - Inter

I always had the impression that Brazilian most important and decisive players were in Spain. Four brazilian players won the golden ball playing in Spain. Over the past decade some of Barcelona and Real Madrid most important players were from Brazil.

In the late 90's and early 00's Brazilians never had the same impact in Italy. Roma had four or five brazilians, but none of them was as important as Totti, Montella or Batistuta (ok, I'm being a little bit unfair with Cafu and Emerson). Juve and Lazio were the most consistent italian clubs at the time and they didn't have any brazilian player in their ranks. Ronaldo had the best season of his career in 97-98, but then he got injured and we all know what happened. Things started to change only when Kaká arrived and Adriano reached his peak.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:33 pm

TM wrote:It could go either way tbh, in the EPL the brazilians will earn top dollar, but the weather won't favour them.

what are you? Our Brazillian scout?

How do you know? Aren't you from the Midlands?

As for Elano, it's ridiculous to say that he tends to do anything since he's only been in England for a season. The whole City team were poor in the 2nd part of last season so you could say Petrov 'tends to be great during the summer, but during autumn and winter his form nose dives.' ONLY YOU CAN'T because he too has only been in England for a year so he doesn't TEND to do anything.
    TM
    TM

Post by TM Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:37 pm

The Elano thing has been debated in a few journalists tbh, grab a edition of World Soccer or another decent football mag, one with more words than pics, so not Match glenn Ale
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:39 pm

you simply can't generalise like that. If he does the same thing over 3 seasons you can say it's what he does, doing something once doesn't make it the norm.
    TM
    TM

Post by TM Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:41 pm

Elano was just an example in the whole Brazilians adapting to English weather etc.

Just wait for Robinho, Jo and Elano's form to begin to fade towards and in the winter.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:43 pm

it was a terrible example.
    TM
    TM

Post by TM Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:45 pm

Actually it wasn't. It's exactly what happened last season.(although its been the only one season for him) He was Citeh's main player and as soon as his form declined so did City in general.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:48 pm

that's exactly what makes it a terrible example Laugh

it only happened once

the whole City side played badly

I'm not saying it's not the case, it was just a ridiculous example, followed up with an even more ridiculous and baseless sweeping statement about young talent in Brazil.

That's even before we get to the fact that players from all over the world suffer with the climate in their first season.
    TM
    TM

Post by TM Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:54 pm

Sheva7: How long it will take until brazilians become protagonists in the EPL? Or this day will never come? Will they ever have the same impact they had in Spain?

We have to wait for the next generation of Brazilian players to transfer from Brazil to get a definitive answer to that question.

And at the moment no player in particular stands out as the next Ronaldinho, Ronaldo etc. Thats all i said. Ale
    Formerly known as sheva7

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:12 pm

TM wrote:Elano was just an example in the whole Brazilians adapting to English weather etc.

Just wait for Robinho, Jo and Elano's form to begin to fade towards and in the winter.

Elano spent three seasons in Ukraine. English weather is heaven for him. cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:26 am