Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
DS
Kimbo
Deluded F*ck™
Aristoskank
Six
Ä
BrianS
christmasborocooper
debaser
Allez les rouges
fcb
Parks lives
Tweesus
17 posters

Top ten brainiest and top ten thickest footballers

Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Top ten brainiest and top ten thickest footballers Empty Top ten brainiest and top ten thickest footballers

Post by Tweesus Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:22 pm

From the Times:

Brainiest:

1. Steve Palmer
    It's hard to top the academic achievements of Mr Palmer, the former Watford and Ipswich defender, who can boast to be the only professional footballer in the modern era to have gained a degree from Cambridge University. It may be in software engineering, but impressive none the less, and extremely useful when the kids' PlayStation goes on the blink.

2. Shaka Hislop
    The former West Ham United goalkeeper is right up there in the ranks of football's brainiest men. Not only did he graduate from Howard University in Washington DC with an honours degree in mechanical engineering, but he was also an intern at NASA.

3. Iain Dowie
    Some would say that managing a football team is not rocket science, but Dowie probably wishes it was. He may have been sacked by a string of football clubs but before that Dowie graduated with a master's degree in engineering from Southampton University. He also worked for British Aerospace while playing for non-league Cheshunt.

4. Steve Heighway
    The 1970s was a time when footballers were footballers and men were men. So that makes Steve Heighway's degree in economics from Warwick University even more impressive.

5. Socrates
    Shares his name with a Greek philosopher and the comparisons don’t end there. As if captaining one of the most entertaining Brazil sides of all time wasn’t enough, Socrates also completed doctorates in medicine and philosophy.

6. Frank Lampard
    The former pupil at Essex public school Brentwood was more than just a whizz on the football pitch during his formative years. The England midfielder walked away from school with 11 GCSEs, including an A-star in Latin.

7. Arjan de Zeeuw
    The former Wigan and Portsmouth defender is no slouch when it comes to mind games. He has a degree in medical science and is planning to go into sports medicine when his football career is over.

8. Slaven Bilic
    The former West Ham defender has got his Croatia side out of jail once or twice and it seems he has all the qualifications to do just that. Bilic has a law degree and is reportedly a fan of reading American psychology books in his spare time.

9. David Wetherall
    The former Bradford and Leeds United defender boasts four A grades at A-level as well as a first-class degree in chemistry from Sheffield University. Bradford supporters acknowledged his brain power during a game against Rochdale last March by turning up wearing lab coats.

10. Brian McClair
    The former Manchester United striker has a degree in mathematics from the University of Glasgow.

Thickest:

10. Ian Rush. The Liverpool legend had no problem finding the back of the net but his geography skills were somewhat lacking. Rush came out with this little gem after his brief sojourn with Juventus: "I couldn't settle in Italy. It was like living in a foreign country."

9. Stephen Ireland. The Manchester City midfielder was embroiled in a deception of Columbo proportions when on duty with the Republic of Ireland. Steve Staunton, the coach, received a phone call from Ireland's girlfriend telling him that his maternal grandmother had died. Ireland found out that this was in fact a lie, told so that he could be excused from the game. He opted to run with the fib and Staunton released him on compassionate leave, even chartering a private jet to fly him home. A bit of digging from a journalist revealed Ireland's grandmother was not dead, so Ireland changed his tune, saying it was his paternal grandmother who had passed on. Now smelling a rather fat rat, reporters soon discovered that she too was still alive. Ireland backtracked again, saying that one of his grandfathers had divorced and it was his second wife who had died. Yet again, it was uncovered to be a lie. Finally, Ireland came clean and revealed that he had wanted to leave the team's camp to be with his girlfriend, who had suffered a miscarriage. He makes the list also for showing his Superman pants after scoring a goal.

8. David Beckham. He's a media darling now who always manages to put his foot on the ball rather than in his mouth. But back in the old days he was prone to the odd gaffe, such as this one regarding his son: "I definitely want Brooklyn to be christened, but I don't know into what religion yet."

7. Masal Bugduv. The Moldovan starlet made it into Times Online's Top 50 footballers to watch out for in 2009 but did not have the courtesy to come to the awards do. Not even a phone call. As far as we're concerned, he no longer exists.

lol!

6. Jason McAteer. Known within the football fraternity as Trigger, after the gormless character in Only Fools and Horses. Amongst the many quotes of his we could have used is this beauty: "I once bought a pizza and was asked if I wanted it sliced into four or eight. I said just four because I couldn't manage eight slices."

5. Shola Ameobi. The Newcastle striker was in a state of panic when he found his house ransacked with several items missing, most notably his chequebook, so he called the police to report a robbery. Embarrassed, he called them back an hour later to say that he had found everything and in fact his house was just messy after a party.

4. Tony Adams. Wembley stadium, League Cup final, 1993. Steve Morrow scores the winner for Arsenal against Sheffield Wednesday, the whistle blows and Adams lifts the goalscoring hero above his head in celebration. Then he drops him. Morrow breaks his collarbone, is rushed to hospital and misses the trophy presentation.

3. Alan Wright. Aston Villa's diminutive former full back fancied a few of the trappings of a top-flight footballer so he bought a Ferrari. Alas, his legs were too short to reach the accelerator properly and he needed treatment for a knee strain. He traded it in for a Rover 416.

2. Richard Wright. The former Everton keeper hurt himself during the warm-up for an FA Cup tie against Chelsea. He tripped over a sign in the goalmouth that read: "Not in use. please practise in the temporary goalmouth". Watch the incident here.

1. Phil Neville. While at Manchester United, Neville agreed to be filmed playing the "Yes-No" game. A decision he no doubt regrets. Watch it below.
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Top ten brainiest and top ten thickest footballers Empty Re: Top ten brainiest and top ten thickest footballers

Post by Parks lives Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:25 pm

It may helped if you had the video of Pip Neville playing the game Tweeds.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Top ten brainiest and top ten thickest footballers Empty Re: Top ten brainiest and top ten thickest footballers

Post by fcb Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:25 pm

Where's the link to the video of the yes-no game?

Post by Guest Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:26 pm

Socrates is numerial uno IMO
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:27 pm

Love that quote,

6. Jason McAteer. Known within the football fraternity as Trigger, after the gormless character in Only Fools and Horses. Amongst the many quotes of his we could have used is this beauty: "I once bought a pizza and was asked if I wanted it sliced into four or eight. I said just four because I couldn't manage eight slices."

Smiley
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Number of posts : 8098
    Supports : Deutschland, Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jens Lehmann
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Allez les rouges Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:32 pm

So it's all about having a degree in fecking economics is it?

Metzelder is the most intelligent footballer I've come across...
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:33 pm

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2009/01/footballs-top-1.html

I'm sure you could have found that yourselves you lazy bunch of contes!
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:35 pm

Parks lives wrote:Love that quote,

Smiley
    lol!

Anyone spot Lampard as the complete odd one out on the smart column. As they were doing it basically on qualifications, all the others had degrees or more... he had 11 GCSEs. Respectable, yes. Comparable, er, no.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:36 pm

Allez les rouges wrote:So it's all about having a degree in fecking economics is it?

filth.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:36 pm

Indeed Debbie.

Socrates should definately be no1 as well. Two doctorates!
    BrianS

Number of posts : 244
    Registration date : 2008-09-11

Post by BrianS Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:38 pm

Allez les rouges wrote:So it's all about having a degree in fecking economics is it?

Doesn't he speak like 10 languages?lol
    Ä
    Ä

Number of posts : 11028
    Registration date : 2006-09-04

Post by Ä Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:47 pm

Metzelder, Ballack or Eigenrauch (was that his name?)
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Post by Allez les rouges Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:48 pm

But Lamps has an A* in GCSE Latin!

Classic Metze – the phraseology, vocabulary, (poncy?) ideas in an interview ahead of the World Cup in 2006:

http://www.zeit.de/2006/20/Interview_Metzelder
    Six
    Six

Number of posts : 4390
    Supports : Liverpool
    Registration date : 2009-01-14

Post by Six Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:49 pm

Why would being a software engineer help when your playstation breaks? 1st entry and the writer has shown himself up.
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by Aristoskank Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:50 pm

debaser wrote:
    Anyone spot Lampard as the complete odd one out on the smart column. As they were doing it basically on qualifications, all the others had degrees or more... he had 11 GCSEs. Respectable, yes. Comparable, er, no.

Sure, but Frank's part of the furniture in terms of the English football media. When his mum died the papers were full of it. It was like an actual footballer had died.

I also enjoyed
    1. Steve Palmer
    It's hard to top the academic achievements of Mr Palmer, the former Watford and Ipswich defender, who can boast to be the only professional footballer in the modern era to have gained a degree from Cambridge University. It may be in software engineering, but impressive none the less, and extremely useful when the kids' PlayStation goes on the blink.

Evidently the writer of this article is too thick to realise that a degree in software engineering is of practically no use when dealing with consumer electronics.

So therefore too thick to be writing this article.

British Journalism

cheers
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:52 pm

I'm not sure that a football journalist should be expected to know the ins and outs of software engineering. Granted he could have researched it but that would have eaten into his coke snorting time.
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by Aristoskank Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:55 pm

Tweedle wrote:I'm not sure that a football journalist should be expected to know the ins and outs of software engineering. Granted he could have researched it but that would have eaten into his coke snorting time.

Not ins and outs - that you cannot reprogram a dodgy playstation. Given that this journalist probably spends more time on the playstation than they do researching or writing their articles they have no excuse.

Except calamitous stupidity.
    Six
    Six

Post by Six Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:56 pm

Surely only complete technophobes don't know the difference between hardware and software in this day and age.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:02 pm

Six wrote:Surely only complete technophobes don't know the difference between hardware and software in this day and age.
    ok
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:03 pm

It may be in software engineering, but impressive none the less

Isn't software engineering quite complicated? Erm
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Post by Allez les rouges Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:03 pm

I don't know what a Playstation is, does that make me thick?
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:08 pm

What would you think of a person who didnt know who Beethoven was?

This is what people should think of you not knowing what a Playstation is.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:08 pm

Beethoven is a big cudly dog and playstation is what my Uncle calls his penis ok
    Six
    Six

Post by Six Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:10 pm

Kimbo wrote:

Probably as much as any other engineering subject. Lots of pure maths.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:11 pm

All I know about playstations is that if you play on them too much they start to leak and if you play on them too little they get whoved up your arse ok
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Post by Allez les rouges Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:14 pm

Is that the same as Football Manager?
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:15 pm

Allez les rouges wrote:I don't know what a Playstation is, does that make me thick?

Do you know what a television is? The box with the talking heads on it? Or a phone? The talky ring ring thing?
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:17 pm

Kimbo wrote:

I would say.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:20 pm

Thuram should be in there
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:22 pm

As thickest or brainiest?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:18 am