Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Pierre Littbarski
Jaime
Puro
Tweesus
mongrel hawk
OP9
10 posters

Why is the Copa America so horrible?

OP9
    OP9

Number of posts : 1476
    Supports : Tigres, Leverkusen, Mexico
    Favourite Player : Dzeko, Cristiano Ronaldo, Gio Dos Santos, Ibisevic, Memo Ochoa, Begovic, OP9
    Registration date : 2006-09-18

Why is the Copa America so horrible? Empty Why is the Copa America so horrible?

Post by OP9 Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:11 pm

I remember watching the Euro Cup thinking man this is more exciting than the WC!

I remember crying to sleep when Darius Vassel missed that kick.

Then I heard the South American counterpart was coming to town. I couldn't wait

But after a couple of games I saw that nobody really cared about winning it. Brazil brought their B squad and it wasn't as big as the Euro.
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
    Supports : Corinthians
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Why is the Copa America so horrible? Empty Re: Why is the Copa America so horrible?

Post by mongrel hawk Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:18 am

because it's basically a Brazil v. Argentina thing.

on the other hand, any friendly between Brazil and Argentina is taken seriously by both sides. it's never a played as a friendly.

MexicanTeamOfTheRosesFan wrote:I remember watching the Euro Cup thinking man this is more exciting than the WC!

But after a couple of games I saw that nobody really cared about winning it. Brazil brought their B squad and it wasn't as big as the Euro.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Why is the Copa America so horrible? Empty Re: Why is the Copa America so horrible?

Post by Tweesus Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:38 pm

You really love England don't you!

Don't think I cried when Vassell missed, it would be better to support someone like Brazil over England else you'll spend your entire life crying Wink
    Puro
    Puro

Number of posts : 10679
    Registration date : 2006-09-12

Post by Puro Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:29 pm

MexicanTeamOfTheRosesFan wrote:I remember watching the Euro Cup thinking man this is more exciting than the WC!

Biggrin Would it be more appealing to you if England were invited to compete against the American teams? <Ale>
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:53 pm

Even through the 1999 tournament, countries were generally sending their first choice national teams. But in 2001, Argentina withdrew, Brasil sent a makeshift squad and a number of other countries sent the equivalent of their U21 sides. That was the lowpoint for me. I thought the 2004 tournament was better quality. Hopefully it will continue the upward trend in 2007.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Pierre Littbarski Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:25 pm

If it was full strength sides it would be the greatest tournament - such a shame.

My most memorable Copa America moment is watching in utter disbelief as Martin Palermo missed 3 penalties in one game Doh

Why is the Copa America so horrible? Z-15.boka15MARTIN%20PALERMO-g
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:36 pm

Jaime wrote:Even through the 1999 tournament, countries were generally sending their first choice national teams. But in 2001, Argentina withdrew, Brasil sent a makeshift squad and a number of other countries sent the equivalent of their U21 sides. That was the lowpoint for me. I thought the 2004 tournament was better quality. Hopefully it will continue the upward trend in 2007.

I hope not, to be honest Embarassed

I'm a bit worried about yet another short pre-season for our south american players, mainly Ronaldinho and Messi (the others probably won't get picked anyway Laughing )
    OP9
    OP9

Favourite Player : Dzeko, Cristiano Ronaldo, Gio Dos Santos, Ibisevic, Memo Ochoa, Begovic, OP9

Post by OP9 Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:32 am

Puro wrote:

Biggrin Would it be more appealing to you if England were invited to compete against the American teams? <Ale>

Puro Mexico being my home town I like the national team more than the English team.

But the English started my love for football. So I wouldn't say they are your regular 2nd favorite team because I'm a redblood at heart.

Last edited by on Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:24 am

Tweedle wrote:You really love England don't you!

Don't think I cried when Vassell missed, it would be better to support someone like Brazil over England else you'll spend your entire life crying Wink

MexicanRoses = Legend! <Ale> <Ale> <Ale>

I supported Mexico in the 94 WC when England werent in it, because of Jorge Campos and the legacy of Hugo Sanchez. Ever since they've been my 2nd team; Marquez was my vote for best defender at the WC, he was utterly immense against argentina.

People say the best game this summer was Italy V Germany.

In my opinion, Mexico V Argentina was the best game, a game which Mexico were desperately unlucky to lose as they had so many chances.

Here's hoping they win the Copa America
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
    Supports : FC Den Haag!
    Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:27 am

The world cup is the most boring and fixing stuff in the world...
    DD
    DD

Number of posts : 10721
    Supports : NEC

Post by DD Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:07 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:If it was full strength sides it would be the greatest tournament - such a shame.

My most memorable Copa America moment is watching in utter disbelief as Martin Palermo missed 3 penalties in one game Doh

Why is the Copa America so horrible? Z-15.boka15MARTIN%20PALERMO-g
    Wow Shocked
    That's even worse than Frank De Boer who missed two penalties against Italy in the EC00 semifinal. Sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

We were so close...
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Post by Ricardo Jol Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:37 pm

will you please stop talking about that game..... Grr

Biggrin
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:46 pm

kas wrote:
    Jaime wrote:Even through the 1999 tournament, countries were generally sending their first choice national teams. But in 2001, Argentina withdrew, Brasil sent a makeshift squad and a number of other countries sent the equivalent of their U21 sides. That was the lowpoint for me. I thought the 2004 tournament was better quality. Hopefully it will continue the upward trend in 2007.

I hope not, to be honest Embarassed

I'm a bit worried about yet another short pre-season for our south american players, mainly Ronaldinho and Messi (the others probably won't get picked anyway Laughing )

It's no different than when the European players have a short preseason due to the European Championship.
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:15 pm

my WC favourites, in order:

brazil
    uruguay
    colombia
    peru
    paraguay
    chile
    argentina
    mexico
    ecuador
    bolivia
    venezuela
    others from central america equally
    angola
    portugal
    holland
    italy
    germany
    all africans equally
    all that are not listed equally
    canada
    usa
    australia

The Real White Powder wrote:
    Tweedle wrote:You really love England don't you!

MexicanRoses = Legend! <Ale> <Ale> <Ale>

I supported Mexico in the 94 WC when England werent in it, because of Jorge Campos and the legacy of Hugo Sanchez. Ever since they've been my 2nd team; Marquez was my vote for best defender at the WC, he was utterly immense against argentina.

People say the best game this summer was Italy V Germany.

In my opinion, Mexico V Argentina was the best game, a game which Mexico were desperately unlucky to lose as they had so many chances.

Here's hoping they win the Copa America
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Post by Ricardo Jol Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:18 pm

Todo, thank you, we are the first non-LA country in your list ... If you leave out your brothers from Portugal and Angola..! ok
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:42 pm

that's right. apart from portugal, for obvious reasons, holland is by far the favourite european team among brazilians. I don't know exactly why, maybe because of their attacking football style.

however, if I was to represent Brazilians in general, Argentina would be down in the very last place.

Ricardo Jol wrote:Todo, thank you, we are the first non-LA country in your list ... If you leave out your brothers from Portugal and Angola..! ok
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:03 pm

Ricardo Jol wrote:Todo, thank you, we are the first non-LA country in your list ... If you leave out your brothers from Portugal and Angola..! ok

Yo Ricardo, I think you'll find lots of Latin Americans supporting Holland in WC's and in Euro's. The main reason is because you guys play very similar to us excluding Paraguay and Uruguay.

Yo Todo, I support Peru, then USA/Brasil, any Latin American country, Holland, Spain, Portugal, Italia, France. <Ale>

Copa Libertadores starts next week! bounce cheers

Vamos Cienciano Campeon!!!
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:26 pm

méxico may host copa américa 09

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/folha/esporte/ult92u111894.shtml
    OP9
    OP9

Post by OP9 Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:55 pm

Mexico - England all the way

Fuck the US National "Soccer team"

Ale
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:19 am

todo wrote:méxico may host copa américa 09

I think México has a 99.9% chance of hosting the next Copa América. There's also been talks about inviting the four Latin Europeans for the tournament: Portugal, Spain, France, and Italia. That potential Copa América would be really something to watch if they accept. Cool <Ale>

Group A) Brasil, Colombia, Spain, Venezuela.
    Group B) Argentina, Paraguay, Portugal, Bolivia,
    Group C) France, Uruguay, México, Ecuador
    Group D) Italia, Perú, Chile, USA

Yo Todo! how do you like this Copa América! cheers
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:43 am

Actually this would be a barnburner of a tourney!

Group A) Brasil, Uruguay, Spain, Bolivia.
    Group B) Argentina, Colombia, Portugal, Venezuela.
    Group C) France, Perú, Paraguay, USA.
    Group D) Italia, México, Chile, Ecuador.

Uruguay ALWAYS gets up for Brasil, and the same goes with Colombia against Argentina. France would want to get revenge against Perú, but we should be alright with the new coach by then (and the removal of the current FPF president).

Italia and México is just like France against Perú, styles makes the games. Then there's also that Italia-Chile game. <Ale>
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:34 am

stronger than euro for sure! ok

I think we should kick the USA out and bring Romania. they are latinos as well! and their football has much more to do with South America than USA's, who are more similar to british football IMO.

Puro wrote:

I think México has a 99.9% chance of hosting the next Copa América. There's also been talks about inviting the four Latin Europeans for the tournament: Portugal, Spain, France, and Italia. That potential Copa América would be really something to watch if they accept. Cool <Ale>

Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:40 pm

Which country is hosting this year's tournament and does anyone know the dates of the games ?

Cheers.
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Post by Ricardo Jol Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:30 am

Puro wrote:Actually this would be a barnburner of a tourney!

Uruguay ALWAYS gets up for Brasil, and the same goes with Colombia against Argentina. France would want to get revenge against Perú, but we should be alright with the new coach by then (and the removal of the current FPF president).

Italia and México is just like France against Perú, styles makes the games. Then there's also that Italia-Chile game. <Ale>

Why would European countries do that? The schedule is already too packed.

The USA, Canada or perhaps Australia you can invite to improve the Copa America but Europe will always been a dream for you guys!
    doninha

Post by doninha Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:03 am

I would love Portugal to participate in a Copa América in Brazil, although I suspect we would perform terrible, not adapting to the competition.

Still, it would be something that would couldn't be forced to the team - the players would have to decide if it was a good project, so they wouldn't be there against their will.

I think for many would be a chance of make history, and they would like to try it.
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:39 pm

I guesss you are right. it would no work because of the time.

but australia would not be welcomed. they have nothing to do with us.

Ricardo Jol wrote:

The USA, Canada or perhaps Australia you can invite to improve the Copa America but Europe will always been a dream for you guys!
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:09 pm

Ricardo Jol wrote:

Yo Ricardo, actually it was the Latin Europeans (Portugal and Spain) who pondered first about participating in Copa América. I just included the other two "cousins" France and Italia so they don't feel left out. Holland can come too, not only you play like us, but have many many fans in South America just like yours truly right here. Biggrin <Ale>
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:13 pm

todo wrote:stronger than euro for sure! ok

I think we should kick the USA out and bring Romania. they are latinos as well! and their football has much more to do with South America than USA's, who are more similar to british football IMO.

Puro wrote:

If the "cousins" come to the party, it would DEFINITELY be much stronger than any Euro. The "cousins" are perennial candidates to the trophy in Euros. I see what you mean with Romania instead of USA.

However, taking USA out of Copa América would be like England not qualifying to the WC. In essence, there goes the corporations' sponsorship, media coverage, an important number of fans travelling etc. etc. <Ale>
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:14 pm

you are right there, puro. holland would be a sensation here. ok

Puro wrote:
    Ricardo Jol wrote:

Yo Ricardo, actually it was the Latin Europeans (Portugal and Spain) who pondered first about participating in Copa América. I just included the other two "cousins" France and Italia so they don't feel left out. Holland can come too, not only you play like us, but have many many fans in South America just like yours truly right here. Biggrin <Ale>

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:19 am