Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
youonlycametooseeeboue
Owen Thomas
DS
forza_rossi
Parks lives
Axeslammer
Batman
Rez
debaser
Sir Harry Flashman
The Pröfessör
Kimbo
COTR
Tweesus
GR
19 posters

Liverpool Vs United (MIDFIELD)

L r d

Liverpool Vs United (MIDFIELD) - Page 5 Empty Re: Liverpool Vs United (MIDFIELD)

Post by L r d Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:53 pm

Because the team is not good enough to play better than they are consistently. Benitez cannot work magic 38 times out of 38. The group of players do not have enough big players. The team is not close, some people said they would win it not many who were not pool fans. and the ones who spoke about man utd just didnt know ruud like some of us did Biggrin <Ale>

I look at Liverpool's team every area can be weak bar the central midfield, but alonso and gerrard will have off days when they do what chance do liverpool have.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Liverpool Vs United (MIDFIELD) - Page 5 Empty Re: Liverpool Vs United (MIDFIELD)

Post by Isco Benny Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:55 pm

Rai Krol wrote:Liverpool have good players

Kuyt, Alonso, Gerrard, Carragher, Riise, Bellamy (he has scored in the EPL before he joined Liverpool, forget his public image on the pitch counts), Reina, Momo (the guy who harassed and dominated Ballack in the Community Shield) etc .. Gerrard being the one close to being 'World Class'.

Before the start of the season; i had Liverpool to be Chelsea's no1 challengers .. because of their signings and their finish of last season and beating Chelsea in the Community Shield (maybe i should never judge a team on one game..)

lets be honest; Manchester United sold RVN (questions were raised; would Man United sign a replacement, instead SAF had faith in Louis Saha .. who showed what a good player he is and then brought in Larsson on loan) and signed Carrick (even though he is a good, potential class player .. United missed out on Hargreaves .. Carrick is a play-maker not a defensive midfielder) to be fair Carrick has been a good addition, next season with Hargreaves maybe he can be pushed to the next level and not have 'too' much defensive burdens on his back .. he has had two notable good games (v Liverpool and v Chelsea at home) OK Obispo says he was average against Liverpool, against Chelsea i would disagree.

I never expected; Scholes and Giggs to have the impact they have done, but these two are LEGENDS and i should have never doubted them. Vidic and Rio to have a good partnership (signs where their at the end of last season ..).

and Ronaldo .. the 'guy' who everyone hated (apart from Manchester United fans) and 'nearly' left, to perform like he has, and hes 'relationship' with Rooney, everyone (especially to Shearer has ended) .. this was dismissed against Fulham on the 1st day of the season.

the real question is: why are they (Liverpool) not challenging Chelsea this season?

Have Liverpool had that many injuries, at one point in this season Manchester United were missing Park and Giggs .. but both recovered quickly .. SAF has highlighted that Manchester United must not have 'many' injuries to have a sustainable challenge for the Premiership.

The press did blame some 'defeats' and dropped points on Rafa's rotations..

Seriously- I think its simple. Squad rotation. The most settled side will win the Premiership.

Not necessarily the one off Cup games, Rafa's squad rotation will mean Liverpool contest on a number of fronts, but they wont win the Premiership that way.

The oracle has once again spoken <Ale>
    Luis

Post by Luis Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:55 pm

L r d wrote:Because the team is not good enough to play better than they are consistently. Benitez cannot work magic 38 times out of 38. The group of players do not have enough big players. The team is not close, some people said they would win it not many who were not pool fans. and the ones who spoke about man utd just didnt know ruud like some of us did Biggrin <Ale>

I look at Liverpool's team every area can be weak bar the central midfield, but alonso and gerrard will have off days when they do what chance do liverpool have.

what if Ronaldo and Giggs have an off day? you can say that about any club, it's a poor arguement
    L r d

Post by L r d Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:55 pm

Rai Krol wrote:
    the real question is: why are they (Liverpool) not challenging Chelsea this season?

A variety of reasons I've gone over several times in the past so won't be doing in detail this time, but here goes:

- Too many new players too quickly. Only now have we reached the United/Chelsea/Arsenal situation of only needing to add one or two first teamers each summer.

- Injuries at the start of the season in key areas.

After the Sheffield United game had finished we'd lost our first choice leftback and a centreback and immediately had to blood in Agger and Aurelio into the defence.

- Difficult fixture list.

It's not enough on it's own to be a problem, as we should be going away to Bolton and picking up points. It does stop any opportunity to build up momentum, however.

- Tiredness.

Euro 2004 plus CL qualifiers
    CL qualifiers from round one.
    World Cup 2006 plus CL qualifiers.

Gerrard and Co have had basically 3 months rest in 3 years. This summer they should get atleast a couple of months off.

It's no one outstanding reason. Plenty of players have been off form and Benitez has occasionally made mistakes but neither one reason on their own stands out. It's just a collection of things.
    L r d

Post by L r d Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:58 pm

Luis wrote:
    L r d wrote:Because the team is not good enough to play better than they are consistently. Benitez cannot work magic 38 times out of 38. The group of players do not have enough big players. The team is not close, some people said they would win it not many who were not pool fans. and the ones who spoke about man utd just didnt know ruud like some of us did Biggrin <Ale>

what if Ronaldo and Giggs have an off day? you can say that about any club, it's a poor arguement

Then rooney and scholes will run the show.
    You cant say it about chelsea or man utd and thats why us two are away from the rest. if drogba has a poor day essien lampard might not. robben might save it. then you know sheva might even hit form.
    L r d

Post by L r d Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:58 pm

Das Reale Weiss Pele wrote:
    Seriously- I think its simple. Squad rotation. The most settled side will win the Premiership.

And yet by the time they beat us on the 22nd of October, Rafa had only made a single change more than Ferguson, who in turn had made a couple more changes than Mourinho.

The main difference is simple - United have Ronaldo, Chelsea have Drogba we have no one. Gerrard's had a poor season all in all by his high standards. Next year we expect improvement. We could do with one other quality player who can do what Ronaldo or Robben does. A player we know we can just hand the ball to and they'll run 50 yards with it and relieve the pressure on defence. Or we know we can give the ball to them and they'll be able to beat their marker 9 times out of 10.
    Luis

Post by Luis Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:59 pm

If Gerrard has a poor game (against Barca) then Momo and Alonso will run the show.
    Owen Thomas
    Owen Thomas

Number of posts : 3874
    Supports : Manchester United F.C
    Favourite Player : Q.A Guy..
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Owen Thomas Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:59 pm

You forgot the refs and Al-Qaeda.

Very Happy
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Parks lives Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:03 pm

This thread still got legs then.

Has Obi taken his head out of the sand long enough for air yet?
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:05 pm

Parks lives wrote:

Is this the only line you have got spank?

Think ive read that about 100 times now
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:06 pm

All I hear from you, Obi etc is all the excuses under the sun and we are a one man team.

Guessing its because you know what effect it had on you, when everyone said Gerrard was your one man team.
    L r d

Post by L r d Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:34 pm

COTR wrote:
    Parks lives wrote:

Is this the only line you have got spank?

Think ive read that about 100 times now

Be nice CotR. Just like the team he supports is reliant on one good player, Pip is reliant on one good line. It's understandable.

Post by Guest Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:26 pm

[quote="Das Reale Weiss Pele"]
    Rai Krol wrote:

Among other things, the main reason is our lack of attacking flair and technical quality. If you look at the amount of chances we create, and have created for the last three seasons, you'll probably see that we've had one of the worst shot/goal ratios in the league - And we've probably created the most chances in the league.

The amount of squandered opportunities in the average Liverpool game is unbelievable, but we make up for this with our consistent defensive record, and sometimes only need one goal to win a game. People say that liverpool play boring anti-football, but that's based purely on our inability to score goals. We play some nice stuff, and we have some of the best passers in Europe, but we just CANT convert. Neither Cisse or Morientes solved the problem after Owen left, and although Rafa likes the whole team to be involved in every aspect of play, Liverpool is desperately calling out for an out and out striker. Someone to be in the right position in the box, and score.

I personally think we need better wingers on both flanks (when Gerrard's in the centre). Gerrard got into double figures last season from the right, and if we had some similar quality on the left, then we'd score loads of goals.

A goal poacher, and some clinical wingers who are not totally two dimensional. Problem solved for me.
    Kevin

Post by Kevin Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:35 pm

Liverpool are a one man team in that they rely heavily upon Alonso to make them play. Same as us with fabregas. but thats a really stupid argument as all teams will be a bit lost without their playmaker in midfield...
    L r d

Post by L r d Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:40 pm

Kevin wrote:Liverpool are a one man team in that they rely heavily upon Alonso to make them play. Same as us with fabregas. but thats a really stupid argument as all teams will be a bit lost without their playmaker in midfield...

Did alright without him yesterday Razz

I agree with you though. The slight difference is that we don't rely on Alonso to beat teams singlehandedly in the same way that you don't rely on Fabregas to do the same. They're just the players who make the teams tick - like Scholes I suppose.

The difference being neither Fabregas or Alonso can just pass to Ronaldo and watch him drag us out of the mire if things aren't going well.
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder

Post by Machiavel Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:41 pm

@ Obsipo

Do you see Ronaldo becoming a future 'World Class' player?
    L r d

Post by L r d Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:46 pm

Rai Krol wrote:@ Obsipo

He already is I suppose. Even if he isn't, he'll definitely become one. I've never said any different. I remember arguing with Tweedle and TRWP saying that Ronaldo would be better than Rooney if he moved to anywhere outside the premiership, now he is inside it Razz

His only flaw is that he's been poor in Europe and big games, atleast statistically. You'd expect a World Class player to perform better. But then again, he's singlehandedly dragging you to a league title so for me to say he isn't World Class would be stupid. Ale
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder

Post by Machiavel Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:50 pm

Your right his European performance must improve, internationally and domestically hes on the right path.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:04 pm

Obispo wrote:
    Rai Krol wrote:@ Obsipo

He already is I suppose. Even if he isn't, he'll definitely become one. I've never said any different. I remember arguing with Tweedle and TRWP saying that Ronaldo would be better than Rooney if he moved to anywhere outside the premiership, now he is inside it Razz

His only flaw is that he's been poor in Europe and big games, atleast statistically. You'd expect a World Class player to perform better. But then again, he's singlehandedly dragging you to a league title so for me to say he isn't World Class would be stupid. Ale

True, but you still argue even now that Rooney is shit, despite the fact he's scored 12 and assisted 13 this season. And the spread of assists and goals at United statistically disproves the theory that United are anything but a one man team

You also discredit the work your Welsh compatriot has done this season- yes his form has dipped, but he is still a player who can take the ball 50 yards, has scored important goals and earlier on in the season was on fire.

The Ronaldo one man team jibe has no legs when you consider no team could win the Premiership these days relying on one player. It was your argument after all that stated the Premiership today is simply too competitive with the standards that Benitez, Mourinho, and Abramovich's millions have brought in <Ale>

Good to see Bolton recieve a thrashing today, hopefully ending any potential CL talk
    L r d

Post by L r d Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:16 pm

Das Reale Weiss Pele wrote:
    Good to see Bolton recieve a thrashing today, hopefully ending any potential CL talk

Ridiculous that it was ever considered in the first place. Would have been as big an embaressment as Everton in Europe were.
    DD
    DD

Number of posts : 10721
    Supports : NEC
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by DD Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:02 pm

Great thread this.... Erm

I just wanted to say that while there's 7 pages of "discussing" the midfields, O'Shea hasn't even been mentioned once and was forgotten from the original list.
    Laugh
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:06 pm

O'Shea > Sissoko.

There you go, he's been mentioned. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 12:55 am