Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+30
Green Arrow
Rosy
DS
Luso
Football Genius
lampiao007
TheCrazy58
Tweesus
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!
Rosicky
robert
The-Frank-Tavern
Calidad
AsianBoy
BoBo Vieri 32
bluenine
pauloduarte
Super Progress
fcb
COTR
Parks lives
Oleguerisntthatbad
Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U
Batman
Lard
Rez
Dwarf
DD
Machiavel
Cesc Soler
34 posters

CL Group F Thread - Man Utd - Roma - Sporting - D.Kyiv

COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

CL Group F Thread - Man Utd - Roma - Sporting - D.Kyiv - Page 2 Empty Re: CL Group F Thread - Man Utd - Roma - Sporting - D.Kyiv

Post by COTR Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:50 am

Owen wrote:
    Oleguerisntthatbad wrote:It is actually pretty pathetic..

The Copenhagen and Celtic losses in 06/07 were disgraceful, we thoroughly deserved to win both games. I am still shocked we didn't beat Celtic we were THAT dominant.

you didn't deserve the lille or benfica wins last year though so that evens it out Laughing

it's not a bad group... the same as with us.. if you don't lose the first game you'll go through comfortably
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

CL Group F Thread - Man Utd - Roma - Sporting - D.Kyiv - Page 2 Empty Re: CL Group F Thread - Man Utd - Roma - Sporting - D.Kyiv

Post by Parks lives Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:03 am

Sticking my neck out here, but I'd say it's harder than Liverpool's...

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:05 am

Parks lives wrote:Sticking my neck out here, but I'd say it's harder than Liverpool's...

Maybe a little bit, but there's not much in it.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:07 am

Roma are a better side than Porto.

Sporting are a better side than Marseille.

& Kiev is a lot harder place to go to than Olympiakos.

Yeah, just a little bit.
    Lard
    Lard

Number of posts : 3822
    Registration date : 2007-03-31

Post by Lard Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:11 am

Ours is not so difficult really. Maybe Doninha can return for the match Laughing
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:12 am

Parks lives wrote:Roma are a better side than Porto.

Would love to see a match between them because I think Porto would beat Roma.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Super Progress Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:13 am

I would say man utd havent had this good a chance of winning the CL in years.imo they are favourites along with Chelsea/Barcelona/Inter. they have covered their flaws in their start 11 allthough a injury in centre back might create trouble since i havent seen pique in england yet.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:13 am

Sporting are a better side than Marseille.

& Kiev is a lot harder place to go to than Olympiakos.

Yeah, just a little bit.

Well, if you feel it's that obvious then you're surely not 'sticking your neck out' or so to speak?
    Lard
    Lard

Post by Lard Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:20 am

supermadrid wrote:I would say man utd havent had this good a chance of winning the CL in years.imo they are favourites along with Chelsea/Barcelona/Inter. they have covered their flaws in their start 11 allthough a injury in centre back might create trouble since i havent seen pique in england yet.

Brown would be probably ahead of Pique to be honest, but yeah i agree with you <Ale>
    pauloduarte
    pauloduarte

Number of posts : 186
    Supports : Sport Lisboa e Benfica
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by pauloduarte Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:12 am

From the portuguese teams draws, I think this is by far the hardest group. It will be very difficult for Sporting to go through but not impossible.

They need to win all three home matches, if they do that they will go through by sneaking a point here or there.

I feel the Roma games will be difficult for United, I can not see Roma letting another 7 in, so dont count on a easy victory there.

Although i will predict Man Utd to go through as first place and then Roma and Sporting discussing between themselves who gets the other spot, although I'm afraid (for Portugal's sake) that Roma wil edge it.

Will see!!!
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:26 pm

Disagree. Tevez has a wider range of skills and is as deadly if not more than Rooney. Give him time, it takes everyone some time to fit into a new system.

Crouching Tiger wrote:Come off it. Tevez is just a worse version of Rooney, where's the improvement there? You can't play two virtually identical players in the front line because they'll be easier for a good defence to deal with.

Hargreaves upsets the balance, and changes the way your team play. He may add steel, but he takes away creativity.

Anderson would have played by now if he was currently good enough, especially with your diabolical start to the season.

Bigger isn't always better. Fat people generally have higher cholesterol and die at a younger age.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:32 pm

Kas, you seriously under rate the romans... they still have the best starting XI in Italy**, and have considerably strengthed their squad players this summer. They are much better off than last season, as now their team will be able to cope with reasonable amount of injuries/suspensions.

IMO the ManU-Roma games will be more competitive than last season, as now they also have more experience of playing the CL... last season was the first CL experience for many of their players & their coach.

**unless Emerson delivers for Milan, then I think Milan would have the best starting lineup in italy...

kas wrote:

fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:35 pm

bluenine wrote:Kas, you seriously under rate the romans... they still have the best starting XI in Italy**, and have considerably strengthed their squad players this summer. They are much better off than last season, as now their team will be able to cope with reasonable amount of injuries/suspensions.

IMO the ManU-Roma games will be more competitive than last season, as now they also have more experience of playing the CL... last season was the first CL experience for many of their players & their coach.

**unless Emerson delivers for Milan, then I think Milan would have the best starting lineup in italy...

kas wrote:

No, I really rate Roma, but Porto are a very good side. They are champions of an always ignored and underrated league, and have some unbelievable players. Also, when I said Porto would beat Roma, I think it would be a very close match - not comfortable by any means.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:39 pm

Porto are very good, as are the other portuguese sides in teh CL - I have a lot of respect for them... just loved the way Sporting played last season!!

That said, the best portuguese team is still not as good as the best italian team. Roma could give anyone a run for their money. Porto could beat them, but if they played 10 times, Roma will definately beat them more times. And if Porto played in Serie A, I am definate that Roma would finish above them. Hell, I am really worried they will finish above us in Serie A!! Shocked

kas wrote:
    bluenine wrote:Kas, you seriously under rate the romans... they still have the best starting XI in Italy**, and have considerably strengthed their squad players this summer. They are much better off than last season, as now their team will be able to cope with reasonable amount of injuries/suspensions.

kas wrote:

No, I really rate Roma, but Porto are a very good side. They are champions of an always ignored and underrated league, and have some unbelievable players. Also, when I said Porto would beat Roma, I think it would be a very close match - not comfortable by any means.
    Rez

Number of posts : 3757
    Registration date : 2006-10-06

Post by Rez Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:11 pm

I think Porto were stronger last year when they had Anderson and Pepe; unless they have signed some replacements on the cheap who are as good as the outgoing players. I think this season Roma are stronger than Porto; although we will only find out if their paths cross in this seasons CL.

I personally dont feel Roma are as strong as Milan or Inter, although they are currently playing better than both. Totti and De Rossi are outstanding players, but the rest of the team isnt at the level of the Milan giants.

The united vs Roma will be one of the best games in the group stages. I hope we have Rooney back for the game as he usually does well against Italian teams.
    Lard
    Lard

Post by Lard Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:17 pm

Not bothered by Roma. I put them in the same bracket as lyon. good attacking team. But very beatable.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:12 pm

I am not sure whether that comment comes from ignorance or bias, but I assure you its inaccurate (unfortunately).

Its inaccurate to single out De Rossi in a midfield which includes Perrotta, Mancini, Aquilani & Taddei, and midfield reserves which include Esposito, Guily and Pizzaro. That right there is not only the best midfield in Italy, but also the best midfield reserves.

If Emerson finds his old form, I would say that the milan starting midfield is better (Gattuso-Emerson-Pirlo-Seedorf-Kaka). But Roma will still have much better depth in reserves. And Roma's midfield is better quality than Inter's - you can't say thats a biased opinion coming from me!

Inter still have a better squad than Roma, but Roma have covered the gap there to a large extent this summer. Roma's biggest dependency remains no viable alternative for Totti, who is critical for their success. But then how do you replace someone like Totti, there just aren't too many players like that. Inter have a similar dependancy (albeit to a lessor extent) on Ibra, and Milan on Kaka.

In the CL, the thing which will work the most against Roma is the less experience they have in europe... the players and teh coach.

Rez wrote:I personally dont feel Roma are as strong as Milan or Inter, although they are currently playing better than both. Totti and De Rossi are outstanding players, but the rest of the team isnt at the level of the Milan giants.
    Rez

Post by Rez Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:05 pm

bluenine wrote:I am not sure whether that comment comes from ignorance or bias, but I assure you its inaccurate (unfortunately).

Its inaccurate to single out De Rossi in a midfield which includes Perrotta, Mancini, Aquilani & Taddei, and midfield reserves which include Esposito, Guily and Pizzaro. That right there is not only the best midfield in Italy, but also the best midfield reserves.

If Emerson finds his old form, I would say that the milan starting midfield is better (Gattuso-Emerson-Pirlo-Seedorf-Kaka). But Roma will still have much better depth in reserves. And Roma's midfield is better quality than Inter's - you can't say thats a biased opinion coming from me!

Inter still have a better squad than Roma, but Roma have covered the gap there to a large extent this summer. Roma's biggest dependency remains no viable alternative for Totti, who is critical for their success. But then how do you replace someone like Totti, there just aren't too many players like that. Inter have a similar dependancy (albeit to a lessor extent) on Ibra, and Milan on Kaka.

In the CL, the thing which will work the most against Roma is the less experience they have in europe... the players and teh coach.

Rez wrote:I personally dont feel Roma are as strong as Milan or Inter, although they are currently playing better than both. Totti and De Rossi are outstanding players, but the rest of the team isnt at the level of the Milan giants.

I guess it's ignorance, I havent watched Roma that often, but they have never impressed me as much as Milan and Inter. But I guess maybe I dont watch them enough and I am wrong with my assesment if you rate them higher than Inters first team affraid .

Based on my ignorance if I could combine all 3 teams this is what I would play;

-------------------Toldo--------------------

Zanetti-----Nesta-----Matrix-------Chivu

------------Pirlo----Cambiasso-----------

-----------------De Rossi-----------------

--------Totti---------------Kaka----------

-----------------Zlatan--------------------

I could only fit 2 Roma players in a combined team, that's why I dont feel the Roma team is as strong. However its not about individuals, but the team, so I guess they maybe greater than the sum of their parts.
    Lard
    Lard

Post by Lard Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:42 pm

bluenine wrote:I am not sure whether that comment comes from ignorance or bias, but I assure you its inaccurate (unfortunately).

Erm I am not sure whether the reply is bias or sheer arrogance that your opinion is gospal. For the record if that reserve midfield is the best reserve midfield in Italy, then Serie a really is struggling. The Milan team has Seedorf cl winner 4 times. Kaka possibly the worlds best. Ronaldo was the worlds best. Thats without Gattuso Pirlo Nesta. Roma have an average keeper. Alrightish defence. Good midfield and Totti. take Totti out and the team is really not looking so great.

Milan have a much better side and definitly will finish miles ahead of Roma in the league.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:28 pm

Sorry if it comes across as arrogance, its mostly a bit of frustation at ManU fans continiously under rating Roma with comments like "Totti and De Rossi are outstanding players, but the rest of the team isnt at the level of the Milan giants". Thats rubbish, coz the rest of the team certainly is.

We can debate whether Milan or Inter or Roma have the best starting line-up, its close, there is not much in it. I know Milan's starting players are good, you don't have to tell me, but are they beter than Roma's?? Seedorf may be a 4 time CL winner, but is he better than a Perotta at the mo?? I don't think so. Why don't you compare the starting line-ups of Milan and Roma one-on-one, you will realise how tough it is to call.

And I can't be biased in saying that Roma probbaly have a better starting lineup than Inter, coz i support Inter Doh

As for the reserve midfield, if you look at the system Roma play, you will realise just how awesome their reserves are now. If I have to choose Inter's opponent for a game between Milan and Roma, I would rather Inter play Milan - we have a better chance of beating Milan.

L.r.d wrote:
    Erm I am not sure whether the reply is bias or sheer arrogance that your opinion is gospal. For the record if that reserve midfield is the best reserve midfield in Italy, then Serie a really is struggling. The Milan team has Seedorf cl winner 4 times. Kaka possibly the worlds best. Ronaldo was the worlds best. Thats without Gattuso Pirlo Nesta. Roma have an average keeper. Alrightish defence. Good midfield and Totti. take Totti out and the team is really not looking so great.

Milan have a much better side and definitly will finish miles ahead of Roma in the league.

Last edited by on Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:29 pm

bluenine wrote:Sorry if it comes across as arrogance, its mostly a bit of frustation at ManU fans continiously under rating Roma with comments like "Totti and De Rossi are outstanding players, but the rest of the team isnt at the level of the Milan giants".

Now who's being ignorant.

One person said that.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:32 pm

I was wondering just how long you will keep away from this WUM-magnet of an arguement...

One person said it this time, others have done so in the past - you should know that.

Parks lives wrote:
    bluenine wrote:Sorry if it comes across as arrogance, its mostly a bit of frustation at ManU fans continiously under rating Roma with comments like "Totti and De Rossi are outstanding players, but the rest of the team isnt at the level of the Milan giants".

Now who's being ignorant.

One person said that.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:33 pm

bluenine wrote:I was wondering just how long you will keep away from this WUM-magnet of an arguement...

One person said it this time, others have done so in the past - you should know that.

Tweedle is not a Man United fan.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:40 pm

he is a closet ManU fan Wink

Parks lives wrote:
    bluenine wrote:I was wondering just how long you will keep away from this WUM-magnet of an arguement...

BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:54 pm

I think Milans starting midfield is better than Roma's but thats no disrespect to Roma since i rate Milans midfield as the best in Europe.

In terms of reserve midfielders, Milan have Brocchi, Ambrosini, Gourcuff while Roma have the likes of Barusso, Pizzaro, Taddei and Esposito. I'd say those are equally good. If Milan lose one of Kaka and Seedorf they would struggle while if Roma lost De Rossi or Perrotta then they would also struggle.
    Rez

Post by Rez Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:55 pm

bluenine wrote:he is a closet ManU fan Wink

Parks lives wrote:

Everyone is they just dont know it yet Very Happy

Mate I take your points about Roma, I am not underestimating them, I think we can win at home, but will probably lose in Rome.

We got tanked 3-0 last time we played Milan, so I would certainly rather play Roma. Now here is a plan, you take out Milan in the CL and we will take out Roma for you.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:12 pm

Deal. Get them out in the later stages like last time, not early... don't want them to start focussing on serie A Wink

Rez wrote:Now here is a plan, you take out Milan in the CL and we will take out Roma for you.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:16 pm

It depends on which emerson turns out... if its the emerson of Juve-Roma days, then like I have said many times here before, I too rate Milan's midfield as the best in europe.

As far as the reserve midfield goes, Roma are better now... very good aquisitions in Guily, Esposito & Barusso.

BoBo Vieri wrote:I think Milans starting midfield is better than Roma's but thats no disrespect to Roma since i rate Milans midfield as the best in Europe.

In terms of reserve midfielders, Milan have Brocchi, Ambrosini, Gourcuff while Roma have the likes of Barusso, Pizzaro, Taddei and Esposito. I'd say those are equally good. If Milan lose one of Kaka and Seedorf they would struggle while if Roma lost De Rossi or Perrotta then they would also struggle.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:17 pm

Giuly is a starter bounce
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:33 pm

Its too early to say... Guily did start the first game, but thats coz Mancini was not available. We'll have to wait and watch whether he becomes a starter, tho I suspect that Spalletti plans to rotate all of his wingers a lot.

kas wrote:Giuly is a starter bounce

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:03 pm