Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+31
TheCrazy58
briz
chrissicross
Rosy
Allez les rouges
The Vermonster
Hlebagone
Deano
Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U
Romford Pele
Lard
Batman
The-Frank-Tavern
anfield 1989
Calidad
DeLux
StevieG
Parks lives
Fey
Deluded F*ck™
Rosicky
Tweesus
Sir Les
gone
A & K
SuperMario
Oleguerisntthatbad
The Pröfessör
Sheffield gunner
fcb
Cesc Soler
35 posters

CL Group H Thread - Arsenal - Sevilla - Steaua - Slavia

Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

CL Group H Thread - Arsenal - Sevilla - Steaua - Slavia - Page 2 Empty Re: CL Group H Thread - Arsenal - Sevilla - Steaua - Slavia

Post by Tweesus Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:57 pm

A good confidence boosting result and we still don't seem to be playing as well as I know we can.

Derby at the weekend anyway. We need to get focussed for that now. Wouldn't want it to be a banana peel
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

CL Group H Thread - Arsenal - Sevilla - Steaua - Slavia - Page 2 Empty Re: CL Group H Thread - Arsenal - Sevilla - Steaua - Slavia

Post by fcb Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:19 pm

WOW! 3-0, NEVER NEVER NEVER expected that. Fabregas' performance also f@cked my fantasy team because many others had him Sad
    Rosicky
    Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
    Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
    Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:23 pm

kas wrote:WOW! 3-0, NEVER NEVER NEVER expected that. Fabregas' performance also f@cked my fantasy team because many others had him Sad

surely you should of seen it coming after his great start to his season.

6 goals this season Magic
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:26 pm

Fabregash has indeed been awesome.

OH MY GOD DID I JUST PRAISE AN ARSENAL PLAYER !!!!! Yikes

Wink
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:30 pm

Fabregas has been decent. Not as good as the Cescxy...

CL Group H Thread - Arsenal - Sevilla - Steaua - Slavia - Page 2 20070510

Blush
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by Sheffield gunner Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:23 am

Just got in from the game, via a couple of hours of celebrating. What a brilliant result. We didn't even play particularly well, but we have beat one of the best teams around 3-0 which is a fantastic performance. The team will gain so much confidence from this, they have done superbly.

cheers cheers cheers
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:25 am

Can't believe Cesc will be credited with that goal. scratch

It was even curling the other way.

He did play well though. ok
    Sheffield gunner

Post by Sheffield gunner Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:29 am

Parks lives wrote:Can't believe Cesc will be credited with that goal. scratch

It was even curling the other way.

He did play well though. ok

Has he been given it? Definitely was an own goal from what I could see, but he had a good game. How did Man Utd play? I saw the half time highlights, and VDS made a couple of good saves. Did you deserve the win?
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:34 am

Still up for debate I think, Sky gave it to him and then UEFA called it an own goal, then Sky said UEFA had changed there mind.

I ended up watching the Arsenal game. Went round a mates and after a big debate the 2 Arsenal fans got there way. Arsenal played very well. ok

I'll see the Sporting game tomorrow in full, just seen extended highlights so far. Appears we we're poor in the first half and good in the second.
    StevieG
    StevieG

Number of posts : 1039
    Supports : 1.Valencia C F. 2.Stockport County
    Favourite Player : David Villa , Joaquin
    Registration date : 2007-07-22

Post by StevieG Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:34 am

all credit to arsenal they were outstanding tonight. i rated them off that they wudnt challenge for champions league or EPL this season. i eat my words way their playing i really do. wenger gets it right once again.
    Sheffield gunner

Post by Sheffield gunner Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:44 am

Thanks, I definitely need to watch the game on tv to get a fair idea of how we played. What pleased me most was that it seemed that we got a fantastic result without playing to our best. 3-0 was a flattering result, but we beat a great team whilst playing within our capabilities. Hopefully this shows that rather than peaking already, we have the ability to really challenge on a couple of fronts this season. Eight games this season and we've won seven of them so it is a fantastic start, hopefully it will continue!
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:05 am

Soccernet article on the Arsenal-Sevilla match:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=464621&root=uefachampionsleague&cc=5901&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1
    DeLux
    DeLux

Number of posts : 4399
    Supports : Celta Vigo
    Favourite Player : Mostovoi, Xavi, David Silva, Valerón, Raúl
    Registration date : 2006-08-10

Post by DeLux Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:29 am

Poulsen was nowhere to be seen yesterday. He should of done a better job at man-marking Fabregas - every attack came through him. Surprised that Renato didn't start.
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:35 pm

Hagi resigns as Steaua manager

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/news/kind=1/newsid=591609.html
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:29 am

Good news?

Sometimes teams have a resurgence after a manager resigns however.
    gone
    gone

Number of posts : 3455
    Supports : Steaua
    Favourite Player : Radoi, Ogararu, Nicolita, Iniesta, Edin Dzeko
    Registration date : 2007-03-27

Post by gone Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:12 pm

Tweedle wrote:Good news?

Sometimes teams have a resurgence after a manager resigns however.

Hagi was/is a bad manager. An other evidence that being a good football player has nothing to do with coaching.

Still, the way this happened was not right. Becali (the owner) forced him to leave by telling him what players to send in the first 11, calling him during games to tell him what players need to come in.

A lot of fans (myself included) will not go to any home games this year, only away. Maybe the idiot (Becali) will get the messege.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:14 pm

But surely you'd want to go and see Arsenal Wink

Fair play. Any idea about who you might be bringing in to replace him? also any idea on the team formation that you'll opt to play?

I guess the idea is to get Radoi to mark Cesc out of the game
    gone
    gone

Post by gone Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:21 pm

Tweedle wrote:But surely you'd want to go and see Arsenal Wink

Fair play. Any idea about who you might be bringing in to replace him? also any idea on the team formation that you'll opt to play?

I've got my plain tickets for London already. Wink

In Bucharest I don't think so. There is no way I'm paying a cent to Becali.

As of today our assistant coach, Pedrazzini, took over the job. This should be temporary thou but I can’t see any respectable coach that will take the team with an owner like Becali. The only one is Olaroiu (the last year coach) but he is the Middle East and has a 2 year contract with a team there.

I don't know what team we'll play but Radoi is not in it. He's out for the rest of the year.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:24 pm

Well the tactic with us is simple, man mark Cesc. The form he's in at the moment is incredible. In 5 premiership games and 3 CL games he's got 6 goals and 6 assists!
    gone
    gone

Post by gone Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:29 pm

Tweedle wrote:Well the tactic with us is simple, man mark Cesc. The form he's in at the moment is incredible. In 5 premiership games and 3 CL games he's got 6 goals and 6 assists!

Easy to say. We have no DM that can mark Cesc. The game against UTA in the weekend will show how Steaua plays after Hagi.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:54 am

So how did the "world's best RB" play against Arsenal?
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:37 pm

Romanian Liga 1:

FCM ATA Arad - Steaua Bucureşti 1-1

57' Nicolita 0-1 83' Edson (pen) 1-1

Steaua are now ranked 8th with 12 points form 7 matches, 8 points behind leaders CFR 1907 Cluj, who played 1 match more.

Czech 1. Liga:

Bohemains - Slavia Praha 2-0

12' Skoda 1-0 85' Kunasek 2-0

Slavia are 2nd on goal difference now, with 16 points for 7 matches. Teplice top the Czech 1. Liga.
    anfield 1989

Number of posts : 29
    Favourite Player : Casillas, Toure, Fabregas, Kaka, Klose.
    Registration date : 2007-09-24

Post by anfield 1989 Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:29 pm

gone wrote:
    Tweedle wrote:But surely you'd want to go and see Arsenal Wink

I've got my plain tickets for London already. Wink

In Bucharest I don't think so. There is no way I'm paying a cent to Becali.

As of today our assistant coach, Pedrazzini, took over the job. This should be temporary thou but I can’t see any respectable coach that will take the team with an owner like Becali. The only one is Olaroiu (the last year coach) but he is the Middle East and has a 2 year contract with a team there.

I don't know what team we'll play but Radoi is not in it. He's out for the rest of the year.

Radoi is out? Hmmm quite like him.

The game is coming up. What is your form for the last 5 games?
    gone
    gone

Post by gone Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:11 pm

Bad. We haven't won one game in the last 5 games. 3 draws and one loss.
    Sheffield gunner

Post by Sheffield gunner Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:57 pm

An article in the Guardian about Hagi's departure from Steaua Bucharest:

Hagi's love affair with Bucharest ends in tears

The resignation of Romania's favourite son as coach of Steaua is the latest chapter in a saga of fiery friendships and huge egos.
    -------------

He was a turbulent, charismatic coach who endured in his job longer than anybody expected, he fought constantly against the attempts of his club's owner to interfere in team selection, and he found himself out of work last week after a disappointing result in the Champions League. Steaua Bucharest have spoken often of their efforts to model themselves on a top western European team, but in this instance they probably could have done without aping Chelsea quite so closely.

No talk of mutual consent here, though. This was, without any question, a resignation, and the only surprise is that Gheorghe Hagi managed a full three months as coach before finally losing patience with Gigi Becali's meddling. "I have never been so humiliated," Hagi said on announcing his departure. "I was tortured second by second."

That is no great exaggeration. Becali is difficult in the way that Roman Abramovich is rich: that is, on a staggering, barely comprehensible, scale. As his fiery temper and profound lack of discretion made him a media favourite, he stood as a candidate in the 2004 presidential election on a far-right Christian-nationalist ticket, but took under 2% of the vote. Although he has a history of good works - funding churches and monasteries, and investing $4m (£2m) to rebuild the village of Vulturul after it was destroyed in floods in 2005 - he has also made a habit of homophobic outbursts, and has been sued three times for slander. He makes Ken Bates look like the Dalai Lama.

Hagi served as "godfather" - that is, as a spiritual advisor - at Becali's wedding, but their relationship has always been turbulent. Both ethnic Aromanians of Macedonian descent, they became friends in the 1980s, when Becali used to give milk and cheese from his father's farm to Steaua players and, although they fell out over a nightclub dancer, Hagi loaned him $70,000 shortly after the fall of the dictator Nicolae Ceausescu to further his business.

They fell out again in 2000 as Hagi backed Gigi's cousin Giovanni in his attempt to take over Steaua, but by 2005, they had made up and Becali was attempting to appoint Hagi as coach. Negotiations then fell down over pay, with Hagi preferring to go to Politehnica Timisoara, but when Cosmin Olaroiu was lured away to the Saudi Arabian club Al-Hilal in June, Becali and Hagi agreed terms. "Steaua was always in my heart," Hagi said.

The problem was that Becali had become used to influencing team selection. Olaroiu, it seems, was prepared to put up with that, but Hagi was not. Becali went on the offensive, publicly comparing Romania's greatest ever player to a schoolboy, and saying he needed "a good slap to wake him up". Even more damagingly, he claimed that a number of players, including the midfielder Mirel Radoi, at whose wedding he himself served as godfather, had complained to him from the first days of Hagi's reign of his supposedly unprofessional approach.

With tension building, and Steaua stuttering in the league, many expected Hagi to resign after securing Steaua's place in the group stages of the Champions League with victory over the Belarusian champions BATE Borisov, but he stayed on. Ahead of last week's game away to Slavia Prague, Becali announced he would sack Hagi if he persisted in playing the forward Dorel Zaharia and the right-back Pawel Golanski. Hagi dropped them, Steaua lost 2-1, and the next day he quit, saying he had decided to walk out when Becali offered his ultimatum, but didn't want to leave the team in the lurch before such an important game.

"Nobody will ever achieve anything at Steaua with Becali breathing down his neck," Hagi said. "He destroys all smiling. He says he loves God, but God never said you could insult people in this way. Players are nothing to him, and he is destroying everything we are trying to do."

Becali remains unrepentant. "I admit I humiliated Hagi," he said, before an alarming lapse into the third person. "It is very hard to work with Becali. You can't work with Becali if you don't get results."

He was initially confident of securing the return of Olaroiu, claiming: "He has said he is always available to me." As Olaroiu retained a diplomatic silence, Al-Hilal made clear they were not willing to let him leave, and threatened to report Becali to Fifa if Olaroiu was approached before the end of his two-year contract. "Olaroiu is Al-Hilal coach for the next two years, so he will not come back in Romania to coach Steaua or any different team before then," the club's chairman Prince Mohammed bin Faisal insisted.

So Becali has turned instead to the Italian Massimo Pedrazzini, who had been conditioning coach under Hagi - for the short-term at least. He has already told him, though, that he will be sacked unless they achieve at least a draw at home to Arsenal next week. "I will always involve myself with the team," Becali said, "because I'm spending the money. I would have that attitude with any coach."

Crisis is never far away in Romania, but for Steaua it feels closer than ever. All things considered, Mourinho may feel he got away lightly.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/09/25/hagis_love_affair_with_buchare.html
    gone
    gone

Post by gone Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:50 pm

Steaua - Vaslui 1-0

Highlights: http://www.gsptv.ro/index/id/7105
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:27 pm

@ gone

you're lucky that we got a couple of injuries at the weekend. I'm not so positive over the game. Hleb is definately ruled out and there is a possibility that Adebayor might be as well. Eboué and Eduardo would make returns though. Think we'll still opt for Walcott on the right wing though and if Adebayor is fit, he may well start.

Diaby should play on the left again, but I think Flamini might be dropped in the centre in preference for Diarra (who is a far better player)
    gone
    gone

Post by gone Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:27 pm

Tweedle, our list of injuries is long as well. Radoi (DM), Ghionea (CD), Plesan (AM), Golanski (RB) are out and Goian (CD) plus Lovin (DM), Nesu (LB), are in doubt. We may have to play a 19 years old kid (Bicfalvi) as our starting DM because the 2 main DM are injured. The good news is that we strated playing football since Hagi left and Pedrazzini took over. Our team will probably look like this:

--------------------------Zapata
    Marin-----Baciu(Goian if fit)--Rada---Emeghara
    ---------------Petre--------Bicfalvi(Lovin if fit)
    Nicolita---------------Dica--------Surdu(Neaga)
    -----------------------Zaharia
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Number of posts : 9944
    Supports : Arsenal FC
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Cesc Soler Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:45 pm

Arsenal team news

Hleb travels with the team, but faces a fitness test along with Flamini, Adebayor and Diaby.

Gallas, Song, Lehmann, Rosicky and Eduardo miss out.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:49 pm

With Eduardo missing out it's imperative that Adebayor is passed fit. Bendtner is an adequate replacement though having said that.

I think if Walcott plays (which he will) he'll go missing again. I'd almost be tempted not to play him, but the sheer number of midfield injuries we have will make that impossible. Unless we play Eboué there

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:32 pm