Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
A & K
Murray
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!
Deano
Puro
Brian2468
blutgraetsche
bluenine
Machiavel
Fey
fcb
15 posters

Portugal, Italy, England, Spain

fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Portugal, Italy, England, Spain Empty Portugal, Italy, England, Spain

Post by fcb Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:41 pm

These are the 4 "biggest"/"most favoured" sides currently in danger of not qualifying for Euro 2008. Looking at their respective standings and upcoming matches, I think Italy and England look most vulnerable:

Italy have tough away games against Ukraine and their direct rival Scotland.

England still have to play Russia twice, and then a final day game against Croatia where the pressure could lead to anything happening.

Portugal should make it through without problems IMO.

Spain have the toughest fixtures on paper, but I don't think N. Ireland will be able to maintain their form under Worthington, and Spain are also the only one of these 4 who are at least level on points with their rival (NI) and not behind. So I think Spain will also eventually scrape through.

---------

Which of these 4 does everyone else think will make it?
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Portugal, Italy, England, Spain Empty Re: Portugal, Italy, England, Spain

Post by Fey Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:43 pm

In the end all 4 will be there, believe me <Ale>
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Machiavel Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:47 pm

I'm with Fey , all 4 should make it

I think the Soviets will cause England problems in Moscow.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:56 pm

I think the "group of death" will claim a big victim.... that one of the world cup quarter finalist will be knocked out was certain when the draw was made, but anything can still happen in that group... Italy, France or Ukraine can all qualify or go out.

After tonights results, France look a bit safer than the other two, but more points will be dropped... specially if the scots keep playing such good football - they are not yet out of it, coz the big teams will drop points against each other! The Scots are an upset away from qualifying.

kas wrote:These are the 4 "biggest"/"most favoured" sides currently in danger of not qualifying for Euro 2008. Looking at their respective standings and upcoming matches, I think Italy and England look most vulnerable:

Italy have tough away games against Ukraine and their direct rival Scotland.

England still have to play Russia twice, and then a final day game against Croatia where the pressure could lead to anything happening.

Portugal should make it through without problems IMO.

Spain have the toughest fixtures on paper, but I don't think N. Ireland will be able to maintain their form under Worthington, and Spain are also the only one of these 4 who are at least level on points with their rival (NI) and not behind. So I think Spain will also eventually scrape through.

---------

Which of these 4 does everyone else think will make it?

Last edited by on Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:12 am; edited 2 times in total
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:03 am

They all should qualify. Italy probably have the toughest task though, both away matches are not going to be easy, the match against Ukraine on Wednesday is going to be crucial. They basically can't afford to drop points there.

I'd like them all to qualify also, especially England and Italy. The former because they are one of our rivals, and the majority of people on here are English, that's why a tournament without England next year would not be really good for the atmosphere. The latter, because I, 82 million other Germans, and especially our team want revenge for last year, preferably in the knock out stages.

But generally speaking, I always want the 'big nations' to qualify, otherwise something is missing.
    Brian2468

Number of posts : 4875

Post by Brian2468 Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:05 am

Fair call on England even with a positive game today under there belt who knows what McClaren will play against Russia.
    Italy should pull through as long as Scotland drops a few points. If France have a hard time with the Scots confidence grows and Italy could have problems.
    Portugal will go through.
    Spain are better off than England by a small margin. Lose away to Denmark in October they still could be in trouble.
    Puro
    Puro

Number of posts : 10679
    Registration date : 2006-09-12

Post by Puro Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:10 am

Out of the four, England have it the toughest by far. Good win today, but absolutely nothing has changed. Even with a win against Russia, there's still lots of work to be done. I'm afraid that Croatia win on the road against Israel may have KO England already. <Ale>
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:14 am

Aren't ya forgetting that Ukraine are very much in the equation, specially coz both their big games (Ita & Fra) are now at home?

Brian2468 wrote:Fair call on England even with a positive game today under there belt who knows what McClaren will play against Russia.
    Italy should pull through as long as Scotland drops a few points. If France have a hard time with the Scots confidence grows and Italy could have problems.
    Portugal will go through.
    Spain are better off than England by a small margin. Lose away to Denmark in October they still could be in trouble.
    Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United

Post by Deano Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:23 am

Finland just got another result away to Serbia. Serbia can also qualify...Poland obviously top of the group.

1-Poland-10 (20)
    2-Finland-10 (18.)
    3-Portugal-9 (16)
    4-Serbia-9 (15)
    5-Belgium-9 (10)
    6-Armenia-8 (8.)
    7-Kazakhstan-9 (6)
    8-Azerbaijan-8 (5)

Not that straight forward for Portugal IMO.

Last edited by on Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
    Brian2468

Number of posts : 4875

Post by Brian2468 Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:04 am

blueline..Ukraine drew with Georgia today. Italy are world champions for a good reason. Playing away will take the pressure off your national squad a little and I think your team will knuckle down could home with 3 points.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:15 am

@Deano: Look at the rest of the fixtures though...Portugal definitely have things in their favour.

@Blut: I agree that it's important for England to qualify to make the tournament better overall - you can be sure the organisers are all desperate for this to happen, because English fans are among the biggest travelers and spenders.

Number of posts : 4759
    Supports : Italia and Milan
    Registration date : 2007-05-10

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:59 am

I don't know why Italy fans should be that worried. If Italy get a result in Kyiv (3 points), then I am confident we will be in 2nd place because I can't see Scotland beat France, but I can see a draw.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:07 am

Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:I don't know why Italy fans should be that worried.

You gave the answer yourself...

If Italy get a result in Kyiv (3 points) [...]

If Italy win in Ukraine -> you basically have to win there, and can't really afford to drop points anymore. That's why there is reason to worry, the pressure is high.

However, I still expect you to qualify, as I said earlier.

Number of posts : 4759
    Supports : Italia and Milan
    Registration date : 2007-05-10

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:14 am

blutgraetsche wrote:
    Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:I don't know why Italy fans should be that worried.

You gave the answer yourself...

If Italy get a result in Kyiv (3 points) [...]

If Italy win in Ukraine -> you basically have to win there, and can't really afford to drop points anymore. That's why there is reason to worry, the pressure is high.

However, I still expect you to qualify, as I said earlier.

Yeah but it's not like going to Germany or even Serbia.

My point is that most qualifying groups were tough. Italy don't have to rely on other results if they get the job done. Of course pressure is going to be high, but they are in a fairly good position.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:22 am

Ukraine might not be the that much of a force anymore these days, but playing them on their own turf is often not a really pleasant experience, matches in the East rarely are. They should not be underestimated. Don't forget that they have a match in hand, and still have a chance to qualify also.

But yeah, Italy still have it in their own hands to qualify, and there should be no excuse for failure. And they have a lot of experienced players who are used to pressure situations like these. That's why I expect them to prevail and qualify.
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:00 am

Poland:
    Finland (a)
    Kazakhstan (h)
    Belgium (h)
    Serbia (a)

Finland:
    Poland (h)
    Belgium (a)
    Azerbaijan (h)
    Portugal (a)

Portugal:
    Serbia (h)
    Azerbaijan (a)
    Kazakhstan (a)
    Armenia (h)
    Finland (h)

Serbia:
    Portugal (a)
    Armenia (a)
    Azerbaijan (a)
    Kazakhstan (h)
    Poland (h)

Yeah Ok...they have easier fixtures and an extra one...they still remain 4 points behind Poland and 2 behind Finland though.

Poland I reckon could get 8 points.
    Finland could get 8 points.
    Portugal could get 15 points.
    Serbia could get 10 points. IMO.

That would leave it as Portugal topping the group. However that is if they don't f@ck up. They've just drew at home to Poland...and have already drew with Finland and Armenia.

I'm not saying they won't qualify...but Portugal could easily f@ck up against Serbia or Finland. Finland beat Poland in Poland 3-1 and just drew 0-0 with Serbia in Serbia. They are 2nd in the group for a reason.
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10247

Post by Murray Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:27 pm

Italy should be okay, we are bound to stuff it up somewhere. Ukraine have already stuffed themselves with that draw in Georgia yesterday.
    A & K

Number of posts : 3347
    Registration date : 2006-08-12

Post by A & K Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:37 pm

These for teams will qualify. They have already used one joker and they can't afford to use another one. As for Italy, I'm sure they will win in Ukraine, because this team is the shadow of what it was after the world cup. Come on their main player is not even plying at club level.
    Torrente
    Torrente

Number of posts : 5489
    Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by Torrente Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:51 pm

I don't want Spain to qualify. That team is an embarassment. Spain will probably scrape through somehow only to go out in the first round of the Euro.

England should qualify as well, but you can't put anything past Hiddink. The man is a genius and a Russia win or draw in Wembley wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Number of posts : 8505
    Supports : Atlético de Madrid

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:14 pm

but torrente they shouldn't be so $h!t its just the manager is useless, and RFEF can't afford to sack him
    golsud

Number of posts : 4869
    Supports : Barça

Post by golsud Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:35 pm

Not qualyfing would be even more of an embarassment.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:55 am

Italy need 4 points out of Scotland and Ukraine to qualify, so can still afford another draw. I am assuming that Italy will win the home games against Georgia and Faroe Islands.

So a win against Ukraine will make Italy quite comfortable. A draw would put a lot of pressure on the game against Scotland, and a loss would severly compromise qualification.

The biggest problem is the absentees... among the regulars a year ago, Italy are without Nesta, Totti, Toni, Pirlo, Gattuso, and Materazzi for this game... thats a big blow, and each absentee adds up. I hope this means that the likes of Iaquinta, Aquilani, & Perotta get a start.

blutgraetsche wrote:Ukraine might not be the that much of a force anymore these days, but playing them on their own turf is often not a really pleasant experience, matches in the East rarely are. They should not be underestimated. Don't forget that they have a match in hand, and still have a chance to qualify also.

But yeah, Italy still have it in their own hands to qualify, and there should be no excuse for failure. And they have a lot of experienced players who are used to pressure situations like these. That's why I expect them to prevail and qualify.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:09 am

Yes, you need to win one of the away matches at least to secure the qualification, and both home matches, but that should be a given. 2 draws in the away matches might not be enough, depending on how Scotland does in the other matches, of course.

It's an open group. France, Italy, Scotland and Ukraine still have realistic chances to qualify, so we will see a couple of true showdowns.

The teams that can handle the pressure best will qualify, that's why I expect the more experienced sides, France and Italy, to prevail.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:11 am

I just read that even De Rossi is suffering from an injury and is doubtful - that wipes out Italys entire midfield!!

This is not a good sign. Hope is becomes fit to start.

bluenine wrote:Italy need 4 points out of Scotland and Ukraine to qualify, so can still afford another draw. I am assuming that Italy will win the home games against Georgia and Faroe Islands.

So a win against Ukraine will make Italy quite comfortable. A draw would put a lot of pressure on the game against Scotland, and a loss would severly compromise qualification.

The biggest problem is the absentees... among the regulars a year ago, Italy are without Nesta, Totti, Toni, Pirlo, Gattuso, and Materazzi for this game... thats a big blow, and each absentee adds up. I hope this means that the likes of Iaquinta, Aquilani, & Perotta get a start.

blutgraetsche wrote:Ukraine might not be the that much of a force anymore these days, but playing them on their own turf is often not a really pleasant experience, matches in the East rarely are. They should not be underestimated. Don't forget that they have a match in hand, and still have a chance to qualify also.

fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:12 am

blutgraetsche wrote:Yes, you need to win one of the away matches at least to secure the qualification, and both home matches, but that should be a given. 2 draws in the away matches might not be enough, depending on how Scotland does in the other matches, of course.

It's an open group. France, Italy, Scotland and Ukraine still have realistic chances to qualify, so we will see a couple of true showdowns.

The teams that can handle the pressure best will qualify, that's why I expect the more experienced sides, France and Italy, to prevail.

The problem for Italy seems to be the new coach is not experienced/good enough to handle this pressure. And with key older players out, you're losing the calmness and leadership on the pitch as well.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:13 am

More injuries is the last thing you need now. You need your key players to be fit, experience is going to be crucial in the battles ahead.

You may have quality backups, but they don't have the experience that often makes the difference yet.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:15 am

kas wrote:
    The problem for Italy seems to be the new coach is not experienced/good enough to handle this pressure. And with key older players out, you're losing the calmness and leadership on the pitch as well.

Good point about Donadoni. He experienced everything as a player, but not as a coach. And yes, Italy really can't afford more injuries.
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:59 pm

We are in big trouble. I'm not confident of beating either Scotland or Ukraine.

If it comes down to whoever wins qualfies when we play Scotland on their own turf, then I think we'll get beat.

A win against Ukraine is a must IMO.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:34 am

Well well well...maybe it'll be Portugal as the only ones from these 4 missing out!!! Should France be added to the list? Wink
    Lard
    Lard

Number of posts : 3822
    Registration date : 2007-03-31

Post by Lard Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:54 am

Well one of Italy or France deffo looks to be on the way out. Still say Portugal will make it through, they are playing rubbish but last minute goals denied them wins, and they were missing Carvalho, Andrade and a few others. Stop playing Ronaldo as a targetman Scolari ya muppet Biggrin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:44 am