Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
DeLux
The-Frank-Tavern
S4P
bluenine
EMP
9 posters

Irregular Deals?

EMP
    EMP

Number of posts : 7384
    Supports : Valencia, and in Africa Al-Ahly
    Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Irregular Deals? Empty Irregular Deals?

Post by EMP Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:25 am

It has been said that Real Madrid benefited from an irregular land deal. What exactly are the facts concerning the training ground deal? Is Madrid the only club to have benefited from from such a deal? Are such deals unusual? What other clubs have had such deals? Do such deals breach any rules of the national FA, UEFA, or FIFA?

Not looking for Madrid bashing; we can have other threads for that Wink just trying to understand what happened and put it in context.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Irregular Deals? Empty Re: Irregular Deals?

Post by bluenine Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:38 am

From what I remember, Real sold their training ground for EUR 250+ kinda money to the government, to clear the debts the club was under.

However, most people look at this as just a shrewd way for the government to keep funding the club! Real were under crippling debts, and the deal not only cleared all that but gave them spare money to rebuild a team... on top of this deal, Real got some cheap land from the government to make a new training ground! The Government justified the huge price they paid to Real by saying that that training ground was an ideal location for a new olympic stadium or something like that, but most people didn't buy that - people allege that the state was just funding the club. It sounds fishy. If I got any facts wrong, please correct me.

Last edited by on Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea

Post by S4P Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:40 am

I'm not too clued up on the situation, but I think they were bankrolled by the council/government, who 'bought' their training ground when they were £200m+ in debt (at the time when they were spending big on Zidane, Figo etc).
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Number of posts : 8505
    Supports : Atlético de Madrid
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:16 pm

council paid top dollar for some prime-ish land north of the CBD, having classified it for office use and allowing by far the tallest buildings in madrid to be built on there thus further enhancing the land value. tbh it was a joke, and quite simply govt funding for the club. added to the fact the club have a huge IBI bill unpaid (like rates in the uk) which everybody knows will basically never be paid.
    EMP
    EMP

Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,

Post by EMP Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:13 pm

Is there any suggestion that anything illegal happened, or is the suggestion that this was just a smart if dodgy way of saving Madrid from consequences of huge debt? Is Madrid the only club to have been saved from crippling debt in this manner? Have any other clubs benefited fromsuch practices?
    DeLux
    DeLux

Number of posts : 4399
    Supports : Celta Vigo
    Favourite Player : Mostovoi, Xavi, David Silva, Valerón, Raúl
    Registration date : 2006-08-10

Post by DeLux Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:16 pm

I think Atletico were thinking of doing the same in order to move to La Peineta.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti

Post by bluenine Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:08 pm

I think it is legit, but very dodgy and unfair. I am not in favour of the state helping out one particular club, that just makes the competition very unfair. If the state wants to contribute to the sport, it should be done fairly to all the clubs.

EMP wrote:Is there any suggestion that anything illegal happened, or is the suggestion that this was just a smart if dodgy way of saving Madrid from consequences of huge debt? Is Madrid the only club to have been saved from crippling debt in this manner? Have any other clubs benefited fromsuch practices?
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:30 pm

The-Frank-Tavern wrote:council paid top dollar for some prime-ish land north of the CBD, having classified it for office use and allowing by far the tallest buildings in madrid to be built on there thus further enhancing the land value. tbh it was a joke, and quite simply govt funding for the club. added to the fact the club have a huge IBI bill unpaid (like rates in the uk) which everybody knows will basically never be paid.

That is basically the truth.

Madrid wanted to sell off their old training grounds, but just before it was done, the Madrid city council re-zoned the land on which the grounds were built, thus suddenly doubling or even tripling the land value. So they got a ridiculous sum for it, which completely wiped clean their debts, and allowed them to continue buying players, build the new training complexes, etc.

The EU was called in to investigate, and they ruled that there is nothing wrong with the city buying land back from the club. Technically, you can't disagree with that because it could just be seen as one organisation purchasing a land asset from another. But the EU only investigated the transfer of the money...they didn't look at the 100% unethical behind-the-scenes maneouvreing that allowed the land's value to be hugely inflated in the first place.

Frank is also right about their debt. A director recently came out and said the Madrid debt is around 450 million euros. Yet they continue to spend unsustainable amounts on players and all kinds of expenses (a f@cking aeroplane? ), safe in the knowledge that nothing will ever happen.
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:01 pm

kas wrote:
    The-Frank-Tavern wrote:council paid top dollar for some prime-ish land north of the CBD, having classified it for office use and allowing by far the tallest buildings in madrid to be built on there thus further enhancing the land value. tbh it was a joke, and quite simply govt funding for the club. added to the fact the club have a huge IBI bill unpaid (like rates in the uk) which everybody knows will basically never be paid.

That is basically the truth.

Madrid wanted to sell off their old training grounds, but just before it was done, the Madrid city council re-zoned the land on which the grounds were built, thus suddenly doubling or even tripling the land value. So they got a ridiculous sum for it, which completely wiped clean their debts, and allowed them to continue buying players, build the new training complexes, etc.

The EU was called in to investigate, and they ruled that there is nothing wrong with the city buying land back from the club. Technically, you can't disagree with that because it could just be seen as one organisation purchasing a land asset from another. But the EU only investigated the transfer of the money...they didn't look at the 100% unethical behind-the-scenes maneouvreing that allowed the land's value to be hugely inflated in the first place.

Frank is also right about their debt. A director recently came out and said the Madrid debt is around 450 million euros. Yet they continue to spend unsustainable amounts on players and all kinds of expenses (a f@cking aeroplane? ), safe in the knowledge that nothing will ever happen.

Is that the current debt? Don't clubs have to balance their books? I thought some got relegated or worse for debts - Lyngby in Denmark and Fiorentina for another. Why weren't they helped out?
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:09 pm

It may just be the philosophy of those local governments. I guess it's more prevalent in Spain for club-government business transaction, since Barça will also be demolishing the Mini Estadi and sell off the ground to the Les Corts community. No word yet on whether there'll be a rezoning Razz

As for managing the debt, I don't think there is a law in Spain like there is in the Football League in England. Italy have also cracked down, so there's really no reason for the LFP not to control club debts. It would put a lot of big clubs in trouble, namely Atletico and Real Madrid. Barça does have a (relatively) small debt too, around 60 million euros, but that has been reduced by Laporta's board from 190 million euros in 2003. And from what I understand, clubs like to maintain a manageable level of debt for taxation purposes. But I don't understand that fully because tax is usually charged on yearly profit, not overall capital reserves.
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:32 am

Any reason why Lyngby wasn't saved?If I remember rightly tey were a big club in Denmark around the time the financial problems manifested themselves.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:53 am

EMP wrote:Any reason why Lyngby wasn't saved?If I remember rightly tey were a big club in Denmark around the time the financial problems manifested themselves.
    they had traditions but they werent a big club i would say but very famous becuse they were the breeding ground of the best danish talents. also in denmark everything is done by the rules and they would never stray from them even if it was brondby.
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:39 am

What about the foundation of FCK? Wasn't the owner of FCK the owner of Lyngby, who just took Lyngby's talent with him? If I remember rightly, many Lyngby supporters never forgave it. Why did Danish FA not step in over that?
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:18 am

EMP wrote:What about the foundation of FCK? Wasn't the owner of FCK the owner of Lyngby, who just took Lyngby's talent with him? If I remember rightly, many Lyngby supporters never forgave it. Why did Danish FA not step in over that?
    flemming østergaard who is the chairman of FCK came from lyngby i think but it was before they were relegated back in 97 i think. cant say too much becaus i didnt follow all that much back then.
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:00 am

supermadrid wrote:
    EMP wrote:What about the foundation of FCK? Wasn't the owner of FCK the owner of Lyngby, who just took Lyngby's talent with him? If I remember rightly, many Lyngby supporters never forgave it. Why did Danish FA not step in over that?
    flemming østergaard who is the chairman of FCK came from lyngby i think but it was before they were relegated back in 97 i think. cant say too much becaus i didnt follow all that much back then.

You are quite right. It wqas a long time earlier - about twenty years before. The point is it robbed Lyngby of talent in pretty dodgy circumstances, so why was FCK allowed to get away with it if Danish football is such a stickler for rules? I know it is a long time later, but did it hasve any effect on Lyngby? Did tey experience lean years? Were they robbed of investment due to the foundation of FCK? Should FCK have been punished for it and should Lyngby have had some assistance because of it? By the way who is the current coach of Lyngby?
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:41 pm

EMP wrote:
    supermadrid wrote:

You are quite right. It wqas a long time earlier - about twenty years before. The point is it robbed Lyngby of talent in pretty dodgy circumstances, so why was FCK allowed to get away with it if Danish football is such a stickler for rules? I know it is a long time later, but did it hasve any effect on Lyngby? Did tey experience lean years? Were they robbed of investment due to the foundation of FCK? Should FCK have been punished for it and should Lyngby have had some assistance because of it? By the way who is the current coach of Lyngby?
    i cant recall what you are saying. i dont remember hearing that FCK took lyngbys talents. i can ask some friends on it who follow danish football and then i can give a good answer. i know that after they went under adminstration lyngby lost their good players at once because they werent getting paid and so they played with amatuers i think.
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:15 pm

My timing was a bit off. Ostergaard joined FCK in February 1997. It was suggested that he took Lyngby's financial clout with him - invested in FCK, attracting some players as Lyngby lost the ability to keep pace. FCK therefore knew that Lyngby was vulberable for a bit of old fashioned pillaging! Less than five years later Lyngby went bankrupt. Coincidence?
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:07 pm

EMP wrote:My timing was a bit off. Ostergaard joined FCK in February 1997. It was suggested that he took Lyngby's financial clout with him - invested in FCK, attracting some players as Lyngby lost the ability to keep pace. FCK therefore knew that Lyngby was vulberable for a bit of old fashioned pillaging! Less than five years later Lyngby went bankrupt. Coincidence?
    whish i could say. but there has been people who have been after østergaard who is regarded very highly in denmark as an excellent businessman. FCK makes more money then alot of clubs in europe and alot of it is down to him.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:10 pm

Shocking, Atleti and Barsa fans quick to point the finger... Sleep
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:12 pm

supermadrid wrote:
    EMP wrote:My timing was a bit off. Ostergaard joined FCK in February 1997. It was suggested that he took Lyngby's financial clout with him - invested in FCK, attracting some players as Lyngby lost the ability to keep pace. FCK therefore knew that Lyngby was vulberable for a bit of old fashioned pillaging! Less than five years later Lyngby went bankrupt. Coincidence?
    whish i could say. but there has been people who have been after østergaard who is regarded very highly in denmark as an excellent businessman. FCK makes more money then alot of clubs in europe and alot of it is down to him.

No question that Ostergaard know what he is doiing in business. Issue is the ethics of it. Was Lyngby sold out by him? Did he take Lyngby's financial clout with him, thereby all but destroy them. Really should be waiting period before investors can take their money to another club as it destroys possibility of financial security. Look at what happened to Lyngby. Doubt their supporters will ever forgive Ostergaard.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:00 pm

Jaime wrote:Shocking, Atleti and Barsa fans quick to point the finger... Sleep

Not quite...we know the facts and posted it, don't think it's a coincidence that no Madrid fans have commented on it, or bothered to correct us...if we were wrong, that is Smile
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:10 pm

kas wrote:

Not quite...we know the facts and posted it, don't think it's a coincidence that no Madrid fans have commented on it, or bothered to correct us...if we were wrong, that is Smile

I can't be bothered to correct you, too busy celebrating MIGHTY GETAFE's victory over some team from Cataluña that also sells land to local governments. Biggrin
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:57 pm

I suspect that's because there is no correction to be made! But anyway, glad to see you recognise that Catalonia is not Spain Wink
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:35 am

kas wrote:

i would try to answer but to be honest i dont really understand any of that stuff you are guys are talking about. i have heard the basics of what happened but have never really understood it.
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:44 pm

I did ask for the facts. It wasn't for Madrid bashing; it was to put it all into context. For example, why wasn't Lyngby helped? I'm genuinely interested. If you don't want to answer in this thread could you pm me. I also asked if other clubs had benefitted similarly.
    rza

Number of posts : 347
    Registration date : 2006-08-31

Post by rza Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:29 am

Surely if EPL was applying the debt-rules then Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea were definitely going to get into trouble or am i wrong?
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:05 pm

I don't think the Premiership has any such rules. Those were implemented through the Football League, and by the Italian league. Spain doesn't have any rules either, otherwise almost every club would be in trouble.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:20 am