Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+39
TM
Kimbo
Kroos
Six
Puro
Aristoskank
L.r.d
Tweesus
DD
TheCrazy58
EM Seleção e Selecção
Brian2468
Tom
shazlx
The Bulk
StevieG
Machiavel
Allez les rouges
DS
christmasborocooper
Deluded F*ck™
fcb
Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U
Roger Hunt
Deano
S4P
COTR
Fey
Luis
robert
The-Frank-Tavern
110%
Parks lives
Glenarch of the Glen
Ä
Sheffield gunner
Isco Benny
Football Genius
L r d hAsta LueGo
43 posters

Should England have a new captain?

L r d hAsta LueGo
    L r d hAsta LueGo

Number of posts : 2388
    Registration date : 2007-10-19

Should England have a new captain? Empty Should England have a new captain?

Post by L r d hAsta LueGo Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:46 pm

I thought the other day with the arrival of a new manager, that he would rather make his own captain to stamp his authority on the team. Now today i read the F.A themselves want a new captain as Terry's off field antics have not been the best to say the least. And as some footballer said it was strange Terry missed England's biggest game yet played 3 days later for Chelsea.

He's hardly inspired anything, and this Terry Butcher type figure the English public wanted as captain just doesn't work to well as we have seen.

So should we have a new captain? i would opt for Rio but who would Capello go for? <Ale>
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Number of posts : 7743
    Supports : Liverpool
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Should England have a new captain? Empty Re: Should England have a new captain?

Post by Football Genius Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:54 pm

I never wanted Terry as captain, because it meant for a start he has to play every game, something when all centre backs are fit for England i'd prefer not to comment on (possible backlash from the Chelsea contingent on how fabulous a player he is)

Im not sure who the ideal candidate should be, but i like the idea that the captain should be someone who can influence the game (Beckham v Greece) for example.

Naturally i'll put forward Stevie G, but theres no guarantee he'll be in the team.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm

I dont think Terry has done a bad job- his leadership qualities are obvious- look howe shambolic the team was in his absence against Croatia, when the game cried out for some leadership
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Number of posts : 7743

Post by Football Genius Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:59 pm

By playing Terry this automatically means we cannot play a highline and take the game to opposition, not that i believe Capello would play anything but a deep defensive line, but it immediately dictates the tactics we will have to employ.

Something i personally don't like, i like the ability to change the style a team plays because the players are adaptable enough to reflect the change.
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by Sheffield gunner Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:01 pm

I don't like him at all, but Terry offers better leadership qualities than anyone else in that team and is a good organiser. If he were to be stripped of the captaincy then Ferdinand is the only other option in my opinion. Gerrard at Liverpool plays the role of inspirational captain, but he does very little for England and very rarely takes command of a game. He has not done enough to deserve the captaincy. Owen is a poor choice and is never fit, and I don't think there is anyone else who could be captain.
    Ä
    Ä

Number of posts : 11028
    Registration date : 2006-09-04

Post by Ä Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:01 pm

as I said post-WC

it HAS TO BE Hargreaves
    Sheffield gunner

Post by Sheffield gunner Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:05 pm

36-0tto wrote:as I said post-WC

it HAS TO BE Hargreaves

Did Hargreaves ever captain Bayern? I would have thought there were a number of individuals ahead of him. I hadn't thought about Hargreaves, maybe he could do the job, but I don't know enough about his personality to judge. He is always injured as well which doesn't help at all, and isn't guaranteed to be in the starting XI, although he should be when fit.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:05 pm

Terry is England captain by default, there isn't really a natural captain in the side, which could be part of the problem.

Gerrard, Lampard, Barry and Hargreaves don't appear to be 'talkers' while Cole, Phillips and Rooney are dimwitted.

I don't remember Terry Butcher being England captain, if he was it can only have been when Robson was unavailable. Maybe that's a problem too, no 'unofficial' captains.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:07 pm

Glenn Hysén wrote:Terry is England captain by default, there isn't really a natural captain in the side, which could be part of the problem.

Gerrard, Lampard, Barry and Hargreaves don't appear to be 'talkers' while Cole, Phillips and Rooney are dimwitted.

I don't remember Terry Butcher being England captain, if he was it can only have been when Robson was unavailable. Maybe that's a problem too, no 'unofficial' captains.

Its been awhile since Kevin Phillips played for England. Dont think we need to worry about him being made captain Biggrin
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:11 pm

JOHN TERRY’S position as England captain is under threat.

Certain FA board members want Terry’s position reviewed when new manager Fabio Capello takes over.

Terry has been a proud and committed England skipper but some of the off-field stories about the Chelsea captain have concerned the hierarchy.

It will be Capello’s decision whether Terry keeps the armband but some influential figures think it should be taken off him.

The subject is likely to be discussed at the next board meeting on December 19.

One member of the board said: “Nobody doubts John’s ability and his desire when he plays for England but he has to understand the responsibilities which go with a very important job.”

--------------------------------------------------

My only worry is they will give it to Gerrard instead. Erm
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:13 pm

Gerrard's the best player in the whole world why shouldn't he be captain? Terry isn't even the best defender in England, he's lucky to still be alive IMO.
    L r d hAsta LueGo
    L r d hAsta LueGo

Post by L r d hAsta LueGo Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:58 pm

I just saw the odds on who will be captain in England's next game

David Beckham 4/5
    John Terry 6/4
    Rio Ferdinand 12/1
    Steven Gerrard 12/1
    Wayne Rooney 20/1

Very bizarre odds for me. I doubt Beckham would take the role again.
    110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:43 pm

Rio forgets to turn up to drug tests, and rooney is just a joke, how long is he going to stay on the field if he has to talk to the ref on behalf of his team Wink.

Crouch should be captain as the only one to have played well for england in the last year.
    110%

Post by 110% Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:46 pm

Santas Xmas grOtto wrote:I dont think Terry has done a bad job- his leadership qualities are obvious- look howe shambolic the team was in his absence against Croatia, when the game cried out for some leadership

Actually england were far worse in the first game against croatia, although Mccalren's tactics were partly responsible for this. Terry and rio were both present.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=197272&cc=5739

Croatia were just better in the second game.
    L r d hAsta LueGo
    L r d hAsta LueGo

Post by L r d hAsta LueGo Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:01 pm

110 days til xmas wrote:
    Santas Xmas grOtto wrote:I dont think Terry has done a bad job- his leadership qualities are obvious- look howe shambolic the team was in his absence against Croatia, when the game cried out for some leadership

Actually england were far worse in the first game against croatia, although Mccalren's tactics were partly responsible for this. Terry and rio were both present.

No England were far worse at Wembley. Losing at home is always 5x worse, but they were a mess all game except for 15 minutes when beckham came on.

Yep i agree make Crouch captain, the fact he wont even be a regular, has no leadership qualities, and cant get in his club team shouldn't matter <Ale>

Last edited by on Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Number of posts : 8505
    Supports : Atlético de Madrid

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:12 pm

prob with hargreaves is the same as for owen, he's never fit.

think i'd stick with terry but get fabio to give him a rocket up the arse. if the fa start to dictate who is captain, it'll never be capello as manager anyway
    110%

Post by 110% Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:44 pm

L r d wrote:
    110 days til xmas wrote:

No England were far worse at Wembley. Losing at home is always 5x worse, but they were a mess all game except for 15 minutes when beckham came on.

Yep i agree make Crouch captain, the fact he wont even be a regular, has no leadership qualities, and cant get in his club team shouldn't matter <Ale>

Losing at home might be seen as worse than losing away but that doesn't mean the performance was worse (one was losing 3-2 after coming back from 2-0 down, the other was losing 2-0 without doing a thing all game) Doh

So England were far worse in the first game against croatia.

Making crouch captain is no more ridiculous than making rooney captain? Crouch is not picked due to rotation by benitez, for england he should be the first name down, definitely before rooney.
    L r d hAsta LueGo
    L r d hAsta LueGo

Post by L r d hAsta LueGo Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:48 pm

110 days til xmas wrote:
    L r d wrote:
    110 days til xmas wrote:

Losing at home might be seen as worse than losing away but that doesn't mean the performance was worse (one was losing 3-2 after coming back from 2-0 down, the other was losing 2-0 without doing a thing all game) Doh

So England were far worse in the first game against croatia.

Making crouch captain is no more ridiculous than making rooney captain? Crouch is not picked due to rotation by benitez, for england he should be the first name down, definitely before rooney.

Nope the 2nd game was worse....because losing at home is a lot worse. This isnt difficult to understand. England could have lost by a lot more at home, and got a dodgy penalty as one of the goals. In Croatia one was an unfortunate own goal. Glad we cleared that up.

Yes it would be a lot more ridiculous than Rooney as he wont be on the pitch. Glad we cleared that up as well Biggrin <Ale>
    robert
    robert

Number of posts : 5672
    Supports : Manchester United
    Favourite Player : Giggs
    Registration date : 2006-08-14

Post by robert Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:53 pm

Terry to remain captain. Still the best leader on the pitch, don't want Rio as captain, detracts from his man utd duties.
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:54 pm

Gerrard should be the captain, far more inspirational than Terry IMO
    L r d hAsta LueGo
    L r d hAsta LueGo

Post by L r d hAsta LueGo Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:59 pm

Luis wrote:Gerrard should be the captain, far more inspirational than Terry IMO

Gerrard has never done it for England thats the problem. His last game for England was abysmal he was a disgrace, backed out of trying to do anything and was anything but inspirational. But Capello is a new guy so the past should be forgotton.
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:00 pm

L r d wrote:

Gerrard has never done it for England thats the problem. His last game for England was abysmal he was a disgrace, backed out of trying to do anything and was anything but inspirational. But Capello is a new guy so the past should be forgotton.

At least he fucking played, where was pussy boy Terry, faking an injury
    L r d hAsta LueGo
    L r d hAsta LueGo

Post by L r d hAsta LueGo Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:01 pm

But it would have been better if he didn't play Ale
    Sheffield gunner

Post by Sheffield gunner Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:01 pm

As I mentioned above, he may well be for Liverpool but for England he is usually anonymous. At least Terry is a good organiser at the back which counts for something, even if I don't particularly like him. If there was a genuinely good alternative to Terry I would be more than happy to see him stripped of the captaincy, but I don't think there is at the moment.
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:03 pm

Graeme Murty?
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:07 pm

L r d wrote:
    Gerrard has never done it for England thats the problem.

Lrdicrous. Gerrard has often 'done it' for England, you just have a very short memory and are easily lead by club bias, board hype and the scapegoat culture.
    L r d hAsta LueGo
    L r d hAsta LueGo

Post by L r d hAsta LueGo Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:14 pm

Glenn Hysén wrote:
    L r d wrote:

Lrdicrous. Gerrard has often 'done it' for England, you just have a very short memory and are easily lead by club bias, board hype and the scapegoat culture.

Nope he's never done it for England glenn <Ale> One nice goal v germany in the 1-5 probably was as good as it's got.

2002 had to miss it
    2004 great pass to theirry
    2006 Rolling Eyes
    2007 Rolling Eyes No
    A disgrace to his country Biggrin <Ale>
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Number of posts : 8505
    Supports : Atlético de Madrid

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:17 pm

GH Gerrards international good performances tend to be doing one great thing and being sh¡t for the rest of the match, when he doesn't do the one great bit, he's classed as sh¡t when he does the one great thing he's classed as WC by the mickey mousers. you'll struggle to name a game where he has been consistantly good throughout incl. the 3-0 home wins in the last qualifiers when he was just a bit better than normal. tbh its the one big task facing a new manager getting gerrard to play to his liverpool standards. i wouldn't be surprised to see he can't and as such get ditched by capello
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:32 pm

L r d wrote:
    Glenn Hysén wrote:
    L r d wrote:

Nope he's never done it for England glenn <Ale> One nice goal v germany in the 1-5 probably was as good as it's got.

2002 had to miss it
    2006 Rolling Eyes
    2007 Rolling Eyes No

Laugh You'd kill to be such a disgrace. Nice try Lrdicrous Smile
    L r d hAsta LueGo
    L r d hAsta LueGo

Post by L r d hAsta LueGo Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:34 pm

Glenn Hysén wrote:
    L r d wrote:
    Glenn Hysén wrote:
    L r d wrote:

2002 had to miss it
    2006 Rolling Eyes
    2007 Rolling Eyes No

Laugh You'd kill to be such a disgrace. Nice try Lrdicrous Smile

Yeah nice one glenn, you compare Gerrard's footballing abilities to some guys on an online forum as some sort of defence lol!

Just admit he's been shite for England <Ale>

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:52 pm