Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
Glenarch of the Glen
Chocolate Thunder
Black Magic
Romford Pele
The Bulk
Luis
Torrente
EM Seleção e Selecção
Pierre Littbarski
Batman
Hlebagone
Cesc Soler
S4P
lrdsucksgoats
L.r.d
19 posters

Adebayor V Drogba

L.r.d
    L.r.d

Number of posts : 5614
    Registration date : 2007-12-21

Adebayor V Drogba Empty Adebayor V Drogba

Post by L.r.d Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:27 am

I saw just now on another forum people debating this subject. The majority seem to think Adebayor is nowhere near Drogba.
    Are they really that far apart?

They both took a year or so to settle in the premier league, Drogba's initial bad start doesn't seem to cloud anyone's judgement, but lots still see Adebayor as this clumsy big guy who misses numerous chances.

Adebayor is just 23 i am not sure where Drogba was when he was 23, he is strong, quick, skillful, good on the ball and now scored often. Drogba is very similar apart from heading i am not sure where the huge differences are.

I would prefer Adebayor in my team and this season he has been the best striker in the premiership. <Ale>
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Number of posts : 9523
    Supports : Decentralisation of the state
    Favourite Player : The lesser spotted Ronaldo
    Registration date : 2007-02-25

Adebayor V Drogba Empty Re: Adebayor V Drogba

Post by lrdsucksgoats Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:29 am

Was having this very argument last night while watching MOTD.

Drogba is the better, more proven forward with a more complete and consistent game.

Adebayor has been better this season, but we've no idea if it'll last because to my knowledge he's never had one like it before.

I think Drogba is streaks ahead, but I'd probably sign Adebayor simply due to the age issue.
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:25 am

Don't think Adebayor can do the lone striker role as well as Drogba. Then again I don't think any striker in the world can. Wouldn't swap Adebayor for Drogs but I think that Adebayor is a phenomenal player, certainly one of Wenger's better moves was letting Henry go.
    S4P
    S4P

Post by S4P Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:27 am

L r d wrote:Drogba is very similar apart from heading i am not sure where the huge differences are

Only main difference is holding the ball up. While Adebayor can hold the ball up, I don't think he can use it to his own advantage (i.e. then go beyond the defender with sheer power like Drogba can).
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Number of posts : 9944
    Supports : Arsenal FC

Post by Cesc Soler Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:17 am

Emmanuel Adebayor 2007/2008

Adebayor V Drogba 60764

League: 20(1) - 15 Goals
    Champions League: 3(2) - 0 Goals
    FA Cup: 1 - 2 Goals
    League Cup: (1) - 1 Goal

TOTAL: 24(4) - 18 Goals

Honestly I have to admit that I have been proven wrong at how good a footballer Adebayor can be. Personally I thought he would be a good squad rotation player and nothing more for Arsenal. At the moment he is probably one of the first names on the teamsheet, it shows a huge improvement from last year when his game showed many inconsistencies. He still needs to work on some areas of his game but his first touch and movement is now much better. Drogba is the complete striker at the moment, but at 23 you can see already that Adebayor will be there in a few seasons time. It took Drogba two seasons in England to become the monster he is today.

Despite his amazing domestic form, his European record is not the best. Infact he hasn't even registered a single Champions League goal at Arsenal. To be considered as one of the best, you have to do it on that stage.

AC Milan would be a great start. <Ale>
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Number of posts : 6086
    Registration date : 2007-03-17

Post by Hlebagone Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:24 am

I agree with what S4P said - Drogba is the better lone player as he is able to hold the ball up far better on his own. That said, Adebayor is faster which gives him another dimension. Its easy to see why defenders like Vidic think hes one of the most difficult players to finish against.
    If Adebayor keeps up this seasons form, and scores in the knockout stages of the champions league, then ill probably rate them equal. But not yet.
    Batman
    Batman

Number of posts : 9071
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Batman Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:29 am

Adebayor has played really well when Wenger has played 4-5-1 this season.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:30 am

L r d wrote:I saw just now on another forum people debating this subject. The majority seem to think Adebayor is nowhere near Drogba.

They both took a year or so to settle in the premier league, Drogba's initial bad start doesn't seem to cloud anyone's judgement, but lots still see Adebayor as this clumsy big guy who misses numerous chances.

Adebayor is just 23 i am not sure where Drogba was when he was 23, he is strong, quick, skillful, good on the ball and now scored often. Drogba is very similar apart from heading i am not sure where the huge differences are.

I would prefer Adebayor in my team and this season he has been the best striker in the premiership. <Ale>

Because there wasn't one.

4 mins into English football and he embarrasses Keane before setting up the winner against the best club in the Premiership era.

He got most assists in the Prem during his 1st season i think scratch

Adebayor will go on to be a much better player but Drogba is slightly ahead right now.
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Post by Hlebagone Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:32 am

Batman wrote:Adebayor has played really well when Wenger has played 4-5-1 this season.

Yeh, but i dont think Adebayor would be as effective in Chelseas 4-5-1/4-3-3 system as there are far more long balls in the air to deal with and Drogba needs to provide more lay offs. With our 4-5-1, Adebayor spends a lot of the time running in the channels and then playing the ball off, which he is better at.
    Batman
    Batman

Number of posts : 9071

Post by Batman Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:34 am

Hlebadinho wrote:
    Batman wrote:Adebayor has played really well when Wenger has played 4-5-1 this season.

Yeh, but i dont think Adebayor would be as effective in Chelseas 4-5-1/4-3-3 system as there are far more long balls in the air to deal with and Drogba needs to provide more lay offs. With our 4-5-1, Adebayor spends a lot of the time running in the channels and then playing the ball off, which he is better at.

So how do you think Drogba would do in the Arsenal system?
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Post by Hlebagone Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:35 am

Batman wrote:
    Hlebadinho wrote:

So how do you think Drogba would do in the Arsenal system?

I'm sure he'd manage Laughing
    He's easily a good enogh footbalkl to be able to fit in, but not qite as tailored to our style of player than Adebayor is.
    EM Seleção e Selecção
    EM Seleção e Selecção

Number of posts : 2495
    Supports : Portugal Brasil Africa
    Favourite Player : Ronaldo Zidane Dinho Figo CR Robinho Neymar Hazard
    Registration date : 2007-11-22

Post by EM Seleção e Selecção Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:31 pm

Lets see what Adebayor does for the rest of 2007-08 and 2008-09.
    Torrente
    Torrente

Number of posts : 5489
    Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by Torrente Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:41 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:
    L r d wrote:I saw just now on another forum people debating this subject. The majority seem to think Adebayor is nowhere near Drogba.

4 mins into English football and he embarrasses Keane before setting up the winner against the best club in the Premiership era.

He got most assists in the Prem during his 1st season i think scratch

Adebayor will go on to be a much better player but Drogba is slightly ahead right now.

I would agree with Pierre here that Drogbas so called "bad start" was greatly exaggerated. He always looked like a class player despite his initial lack of composure in front of goal. Lampard owed a big percentage of his goals to Drogba's work.

I think that one reason why people were so quick to jump in Drogba's back was because of his cheating behavior. He did some disgraceful stuff in his first season which got people to focus on his bad finishing and disregard his virtues.
    S4P
    S4P

Post by S4P Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:42 pm

Pierre & Torrente have hit the nail on the head. Ale
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:52 pm

Adebayor could just be a one season wonder. Mind you Drogba wasn't brilliant in his first season or so and came alive in his second.

For me though, Ade has been the best striker in the league this season, he must be a nightmare to play against.
    The Bulk
    The Bulk

Number of posts : 1961
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by The Bulk Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:02 pm

Gordon Strachan was interested in Adebayor when he was 19. He brought him over to Southampton but thought he was too arrogant, if I remember correctly, and therefore didn't sign him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/3083937.stm

I love his style of play. He's a fantastic player. Would a strike force comprised of Adebayor and Drogba be successful, or are they too similar to successfully integrate together? I would like to see it!

Cheers
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Number of posts : 9944
    Supports : Arsenal FC

Post by Cesc Soler Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:09 pm

Interesting you say that as West Ham were on the verge of signing him during the Summer of 2005. They agreed a fee as well as personal terms with the player. However Monaco pulled the plug at the last minute.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/4738791.stm

Both players are very dominant in the attacking area of the pitch, so I' not sure how they would work together. You never know though ...
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
    Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
    Favourite Player : Ozil
    Registration date : 2006-10-05

Post by Romford Pele Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:36 pm

18 in 24 is a ridiculous goal scoring record!
    L.r.d
    L.r.d

Number of posts : 5614
    Registration date : 2007-12-21

Post by L.r.d Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:42 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:

See you say there wasnt a bad start, and then use his first game where he was horrific, didn't look like he could control a ball, and his assist if i remember rightly was more his bad control than anything to prove this. It's just bizarre your logic sometimes. I remember it because i saw marseille v newcastle and expected that drogba to turn up, but he certainly was nothing like that. Keane was playing cb and djemba djemba p neville in midfield it was hardly a class side anyway.

His first season wasnt a disaster but he wasnt great by any means. And the majority of people didn't rate him after it, and pundits and co thought he had been a flop. Yet these same people now forget that season. This is more my point.
    Black Magic

Number of posts : 7514
    Registration date : 2007-10-14

Post by Black Magic Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:55 pm

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=JZLFJ8X9

Biggrin <Ale>
    Chocolate Thunder
    Chocolate Thunder

Number of posts : 15804
    Supports : Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool
    Registration date : 2007-01-06

Post by Chocolate Thunder Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:38 pm

I said last year after seeing Ade play his first couple of games, that he is much like Crouch except with pace.
    He seemed to get shrugged off the ball alot and while he had some very good games, he also went missing in many as well.
    But clearly he has learned and stepped up his game.

This season he hasn't suprised me he is doing well, but what has suprised me is his goal tally this season. It has been sensational.
    He is also using himself more effectively in regards to his size and strength as well.

Comparing him to Drogba is a fair point.
    He has more pace and is probably more athletic than Drogba but he still has some doing to be better than Drogba, who has many trophys under his belt.
    Their is no doubt he can be better and with his age and under Wenger he could go on to be one of the best in the world.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:40 pm

Oooh! Look I've bumped a thread cheers
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Post by Pierre Littbarski Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Adebayor's movement is shit - he makes some really retarded runs.

He is good at pretty much everything else and his stats are great even when he is a bit half-arsed.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:03 pm

he's a rich man's Kenwyne Jones and a poor man's Drogba. Top 10 in the league but miles from the top 5 and certainly not world class.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Post by Pierre Littbarski Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:17 pm

Maxi Rodríglenn wrote:he's a rich man's Kenwyne Jones and a poor man's Drogba. Top 10 in the league but miles from the top 5 and certainly not world class.

If you mean in the EPL - bollocks.

If you mean in the world - not that far off.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:25 pm

he's not in the same league as Drogba, Rooney, Torres, Van Persie and Manucho, He's in the B group with the likes of Defoe, Berbatov, Saha, Tevez and Beattie.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:46 am

If we're doing a top five... (which we are, damn you !!!!)

1/2/3 = Torres, Rooney and Drogba
    4 = RVP
    5 = Adebayor.

IMO.

Tevez has been very impressive this season though.
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by Aristoskank Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:22 am

Tevez puts in three and a half impressive seasons for three different clubs, and somehow doesn't make the top 5.

Van Persie puts in one good season in 6 or 7 attempts, all for the same club, and somehow makes the top 5.

Arsenal fans Rolling Eyes
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:30 am

lol!

Tevez only played well for West Ham for the last 10 games.

He did well at Utd but he was hardly top 5 of the EPL quality. Its only this season he's combined his work rate with effectiveness.

Don't just look at RVP's goals - its his assists that count as well.

---------------pld------scd-----asst
    06-07---------22-------11------7
    07/08---------15-------7-------3
    08/09---------28-------11------10
    09/10---------11--------7-------7

If you don't think that's top 5 of the EPL quality then you're an idiot.
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by Aristoskank Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:39 am

Tweesus wrote:lol!

Tevez only played well for West Ham for the last 10 games.

And kept them in the league. Van Persie has never achieved ANYTHING of note for Arsenal. Never ever ever ever ever ever ever.

He did well at Utd but he was hardly top 5 of the EPL quality.

Did he not win two league titles and a CL title as a key part of that team?

Tell me, how many EPL titles has Van Persie helped his side to? Any? Any other trophies? Any other achievements of note?

Its only this season he's combined his work rate with effectiveness.

Simply. Not. True.

Don't just look at RVP's goals - its his assists that count as well.

---------------pld------scd-----asst
    06-07---------22-------11------7
    07/08---------15-------7-------3
    08/09---------28-------11------10
    09/10---------11--------7-------7

If you don't think that's top 5 of the EPL quality then you're an idiot.

If I don't think getting double figures for assists in only one season, and barely making double figures for goals in two seasons, and being injured half the time, and never winning anything of any importance to anybody isn't top 5 quality then I'm a what, Tweeds?

Has Van Persie ever finished top scorer, or close to top scorer? No.

Has Van Persie ever finished top assister, or close to top assister? No.

Has Van Persie ever lead his team to, well, anything? No.

Has Van Persie won anything in this league? No.

Does Van Persie score the vast majority of his goals against the likes of Charlton, Bolton, Blackburn, Fulham, and shit sides in Europe? Oh yes.

Does Van Persie only score against the big sides in games Arsenal lose? Oh yes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:04 am