Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+20
Batman
TheCrazy58
Zack
Lordanger
Hem fet un mal partit
A & K
Roger Hunt
christmasborocooper
110%
Cesc Soler
Deluded F*ck™
fcb
Torrente
TM
lrdsucksgoats
L.r.d
Black Magic
Parks lives
Romford Pele
Tweesus
24 posters

Barca Bid £30m for Adebayor

Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Barca Bid £30m for Adebayor Empty Barca Bid £30m for Adebayor

Post by Tweesus Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:12 pm

Well, many papers are running a story that Barca have offered £30m for him as a 'take it or leave it' offer.

For that amount of money I honestly think we should sell.

He's had a fantastic season but its his first one where he's been scoring freely and there's a legitimate chance that he'd struggle to get over 15 goals next season for us.

Then again, he could develop into 'the next Didier Drogba' but at a much younger age.

How should Arsenal play this? Would you accept the offer if you were Wenger or would you reject any sort of offer and continue to build the team around him?
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
    Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
    Favourite Player : Ozil
    Registration date : 2006-10-05

Barca Bid £30m for Adebayor Empty Re: Barca Bid £30m for Adebayor

Post by Romford Pele Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:16 pm

I personally want to keep him but if he wants to leave then let him go.
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:18 pm

£30 million is much more than he is worth, however from Arsenal's point of view who can you get to replace him?

I'd ask for Eto'o and £10 million and say now you take it or leave it. ok
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
    Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
    Favourite Player : Ozil
    Registration date : 2006-10-05

Post by Romford Pele Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:20 pm

It depends because Eto'o is a different type of striker to Ade and offers something different. I personally like the team as it is now. Then there's the chance of whether Eto'o will adapt or not.
    Black Magic

Number of posts : 7514
    Registration date : 2007-10-14

Post by Black Magic Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:20 pm

Parks lives wrote:£30 million is much more than he is worth, however from Arsenal's point of view who can you get to replace him?

<Ale>
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:21 pm

Parks lives wrote:£30 million is much more than he is worth, however from Arsenal's point of view who can you get to replace him?

He's not worth that much, I'd agree.

Marketing-wise he's not worth much at all so his price should purely be judged on ability and personally I think after a few decent seasons and one amazing season he should be worth around £20m-£22m.

There aren't a plethora of strikers like him out there at the moment though and another transfer loss would upset the balance of the team further and could seriously damage our league chances
    L.r.d
    L.r.d

Number of posts : 5614
    Registration date : 2007-12-21

Post by L.r.d Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:24 pm

I'd prefer to keep him if i supported Arsenal. You need the money? don't think so. Another year of all different players wont get you anywhere. Plus he's fucking good.
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Number of posts : 9523
    Supports : Decentralisation of the state
    Favourite Player : The lesser spotted Ronaldo
    Registration date : 2007-02-25

Post by lrdsucksgoats Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:29 pm

A mediocre striker at the most hyped club in the world.

Realistically, he's worth about 7.5 million.

By today's transfer market, he's worth about 40-45 million.
    TM
    TM

Number of posts : 21218
    Supports : PROGRESS!
    Favourite Player : Luis Figo
    Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by TM Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:32 pm

Arsene should drive Adebayor to Barcelona personally <Ale> £30M? Laugh

Aresnal could sign Santa Cruz or Eto'o using that money, but Wenger will probably buy a bunch uknown african kids.

Last edited by TM on Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Black Magic

Post by Black Magic Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:35 pm

I would be disappointed if we signed Santa Cruz to replace Ade, it would be a significant step down IMO.
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:36 pm

TM wrote:Arsene should drive Adebayor to Milan personally <Ale> £30M? Laugh

When it's Barcelona who made the bid? scratch
    TM
    TM

Post by TM Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:38 pm

Danielino © wrote:I would be disappointed if we signed Santa Cruz to replace Ade, it would be a significant step down IMO.

He's a different player. Ade is more physical and also gives arsenal the option of playing route one.
    Torrente
    Torrente

Number of posts : 5489

Post by Torrente Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:41 pm

Parks lives wrote:
    TM wrote:Arsene should drive Adebayor to Milan personally <Ale> £30M? Laugh

When it's Barcelona who made the bid? scratch

Well, I think TM means that Wenger should do to Adebayor what he does to all those young boys he molests. He drives them to some far away location and dumps them on the side of the road with nothing but a pair of sandals and a backpack. He then tells them to walk to a particular place without looking back.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:46 pm

I hope Arsenal reject the bid. That amount of money is ridiculous for a 3/4th season wonder. Plus he's been a mercenary all season long, fluttering his eyelids at Barça and/or Milan but also demanding a doubling of his salary at Arsenal.

He's a talented player, and I can see what positives he would bring to our team, but it's just silly to spend so much when I doubt we'll even make that much on Etoo, who is a much more complete player at this moment in time.
    Black Magic

Post by Black Magic Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:47 pm

TM wrote:
    Danielino © wrote:I would be disappointed if we signed Santa Cruz to replace Ade, it would be a significant step down IMO.

He's a different player. Ade is more physical and also gives arsenal the option of playing route one.

Santa Cruz has been used as a sort of "Battering Ram" on occasions this season, such as the Carling Cup game against Arsenal last season, he was also quite affective too, being very accomplished in the air and all.
    TM
    TM

Post by TM Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:47 pm

I cannot believe Barca are even considering letting Eto'o go.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:51 pm

Kimbo is a deviant wrote:A mediocre striker at the most hyped club in the world.

Torres ?
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Post by lrdsucksgoats Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:52 pm

Giovani Dos Spurs™ wrote:
    Kimbo is a deviant wrote:A mediocre striker at the most hyped club in the world.

Torres ?

Henry?
    L.r.d
    L.r.d

Number of posts : 5614
    Registration date : 2007-12-21

Post by L.r.d Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:55 pm

Kimbo is a deviant wrote:
    Giovani Dos Spurs™ wrote:

Torres ?

Henry?

Ruud?
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:56 pm

Giovani Dos Spurs™️ wrote:
    Kimbo is a deviant wrote:A hyped striker at the most mediocre club in the world.

Berbatov?

Wink
    Black Magic

Post by Black Magic Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:58 pm

Like Arsene says, everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home. I see no reason why therefore, a 30 million price tag may not be a true valuation from him and the club. I also see no reason why it cant be the usual starting point when selling one of your possessions, instead of sending a message out that he's not for sale.

If im selling a car, I can let it go for 12k, but I ask for 14k. Why? Because it gives me space to bargain, make the buyer feel he can haggle the price down to below what I actually want to sell for. It's simple buying and selling on any level. 30 million is not an outrageous sum in today's market for 24 year old who scored 30 goals in the EPL. It's just not. I honestly cannot believe anyone thinks 30 million is any kind of message other than come and buy him if you've got the money, which, as everyone knows, Milan/Barca do.

And yes, I do agree he's not worth 30 million, as I've said, that doesnt mean Arsene doesnt. He thinks Jeffers was worth whatever stupid amount he paid. He thought Reyes was the next best thing, the amount he paid for Wiltord (though a good player, massively over priced).
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Post by lrdsucksgoats Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:00 pm

Messi?
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Number of posts : 9944
    Supports : Arsenal FC
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Cesc Soler Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:01 pm

I desperately wanted the board to give him an improved contract. But the last eight days has changed all of that, after reading the numourous quotes from himself and his agent about the fact top clubs want him and the fact he needs to consider life after retirement he should now be shown the door. I don't mind the fact he wants an a new contract with an increased wage, most players in his situation would do the same. Its just the way he has gone about it with his agent to almost blackmail Wenger and the board to get what he wants, that leaves a very sour taste in the mouth.

It's a terrible shame as Wenger has already taken his game onto another level, he could easily take it one step further and make him a world class player by the time of 25/26. In addition I thought he had grown up in his relatively short time at Arsenal, it seems the Adebayor of Monaco still exists.

I expect him to leave, maybe not for the £30m being suggested it could be slightly lower. It would be hard to bring a player who has behaved in such a manner back into the squad. So finding a replacement will be a big priority for Wenger to sort out. Guiza, Martins and Santa Cruz have all been touted as replacements. Out of the three you would pick Santa Cruz due to the fact he can be a real presence in the box like Adebayor and is likely to be comfortable as a lone striker in certain games.

In May Wenger said: “It would be better to buy someone who has played in England because they are less risky," said the manager. "But it costs more money if they are from the Premier League, so maybe I will try to do both."

So Santa Cruz looks the most likely. It would suit Wenger as he would also be left with around £10m - £12m to reinforce another area in the squad. Hopefully centre midfield.
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Post by lrdsucksgoats Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:07 pm

1) Adebayor showed this attitude at Monaco, and that's why you managed to get him for a knock down price. To complain about him still having this attitude is hilariously disgraceful.

2) The guy owes Wenger and Arsenal nothing - one prolific season changes little.

3) Arsenal treat their players in a mercenary fashion, showing them no loyalty, failing to build a proper club spirit of togetherness, failing to see the value in players beyond their athletic ability. To complain about the players reacting with the same values as they are treated is, well, hypocritical and immensely unrealistic.

It's like employing someone in a shop, exploiting them in terms of wages/labour, and expecting them not to steal from the shop.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:09 pm

Kimbo is a deviant wrote:2) The guy owes Wenger and Arsenal nothing - one prolific season changes little.

scratch

If it wasn't for Wenger and Arsenal and his prolific season, we wouldn't be having this discussion. It's basically opened the door for him to a move to a bigger club and to earn more money.
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Post by lrdsucksgoats Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:10 pm

kas wrote:
    Kimbo is a deviant wrote:2) The guy owes Wenger and Arsenal nothing - one prolific season changes little.

scratch

If it wasn't for Wenger and Arsenal and his prolific season, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I mean 'changes little' in the sense of reality, not hype, newspapers and transfer fees.

In terms of the latter, it changes everything.

Ronaldo?
    TM
    TM

Post by TM Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:13 pm

kas wrote:

scratch

If it wasn't for Wenger and Arsenal and his prolific season, we wouldn't be having this discussion. It's basically opened the door for him to a move to a bigger club and to earn more money.

True, Ade was shite at Monaco.
    Black Magic

Post by Black Magic Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:40 pm

I'd be willing to lose Ade if he was JUST a 30 goal striker, but he's so much more than that, his workrate is second to none, he is extremely accommodating to anyone that plays around him. I think we would cope well with the lack of having a striker that can score the amount Ade did. (you can argue RvP can, Eduardo has done it already, etc)

We failed to win anything last season because of conceding goals. It isn't for nothing that the adage goes 'defences win titles'. Manure took the league because their exceptional defence meant that single goals won games for them, even when their team didn't click. Chelsea have made a virtue of this trait.

I would argue that we just don't need a 30+ goal striker. What we need is a team able to score throughout its ranks, and one able to hold onto leads. Chelsea lost the league only on the last day of the season. Their top scorer? Frank Lampard with 10 EPL goals. we came 4th in the league last season with RVP our top scorer on 13 goals in all comps.

Even without a 20 or 30 goal striker, with a midfielder (Cesc) who weighed in with the third highest number of assists in Premiership history last season, not to mention a team with the highest pass completion rate, and creativity throughout our midfield, whoever is up front for us will have ample opportunity to score. Arguably a better finisher than Ade could mean that we don't have to have a player as good at holding up the ball up front.

Its balance that counts. While the balance of our team was good, first half of the season, honours were shared. Cesc; Gallas; RVP...hell, even Hleb got in on the act. Second half of the season, despite Ade's contribution, the balance went and the defence imploded.

There's no reason we can't win the league with a 10-15 goal a season striker. There's no reason why we can't win the league with our current strikers, minus Ade. While the headlines are full of Adebayor, I hope to goodness that the manager is looking elsewhere to prepare the team for next term.

As to how we'd cope without Ade's other attributes, (his more important ones) we're yet to find out.
    110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:51 pm

Whistle
    Cesc Soler wrote:IIts just the way he has gone about it with his agent to almost blackmail Wenger and the board to get what he wants, that leaves a very sour taste in the mouth.

That's why Wenger prefers younger players, the older ones leave a sour taste in the mouth. Whistle
    110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:52 pm

kas wrote:
    Giovani Dos Spurs™️ wrote:
    Kimbo is a deviant wrote:A hyped striker at the most mediocre club in the world.

Berbatov?

Wink

lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:33 am