Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
Glenarch of the Glen
Chocolate Thunder
Black Magic
Romford Pele
The Bulk
Luis
Torrente
EM Seleção e Selecção
Pierre Littbarski
Batman
Hlebagone
Cesc Soler
S4P
lrdsucksgoats
L.r.d
19 posters

Adebayor V Drogba

Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Adebayor V Drogba - Page 2 Empty Re: Adebayor V Drogba

Post by Tweesus Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:51 am

Bubbles wrote:

And kept them in the league. Van Persie has never achieved ANYTHING of note for Arsenal. Never ever ever ever ever ever ever.

By that logic should we regard Kieron Ruchardson as a better player than Fernando Torres? Thought not...

Bubbles wrote:
    Tell me, how many EPL titles has Van Persie helped his side to? Any? Any other trophies? Any other achievements of note?

Again, by that logic is Michael Carrick better than Luca Modric? Thought not..

Bubbles wrote:Has Van Persie ever finished top assister, or close to top assister? No.

'cept for the season he got 10 assists, which was the 2nd highest in the league.

Bubbles wrote:Has Van Persie ever lead his team to, well, anything? No.

scratch

How many more times are you going to beat this drum? Great players don't necessarily win trophies saints.

Bubbles wrote:Does Van Persie score the vast majority of his goals against the likes of Charlton, Bolton, Blackburn, Fulham, and shit sides in Europe? Oh yes..

So he scores against teams with worse defences easier than he does against teams with good defences? Really enlightening stuff Saints. Shall we just ignore the 2 goals against Chelsea in a voctory last season then? Which brings me on to your next point:

Bubbles wrote:Does Van Persie only score against the big sides in games Arsenal lose? Oh yes

See above.
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by Aristoskank Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:10 pm

Tweesus wrote:By that logic should we regard Kieron Ruchardson as a better player than Fernando Torres? Thought not...

I'll make this really simply for you because once again you're missing the point.

No one is claiming Richardson is one of the top 5 in the league in his position.

Some people have consistently claimed Van Persie is one of the top 5 in the league in his position.

Compared to the other strikers he is directly competing with for that classification, Van Persie's goalscoring, injury record and trophies record is poor.

As such, in a direct individual player-to-player comparison, one factor that allows us to separate very talented players from great ones is how many trophies they've won, how many top games they've played a dominating role in, how often they are available for their team.

Again, by that logic is Michael Carrick better than Luca Modric? Thought not..

See above.

Bubbles wrote:Has Van Persie ever finished top assister, or close to top assister? No.

'cept for the season he got 10 assists, which was the 2nd highest in the league.

Must have been a pretty low-assisting season if 10 was the 2nd highest.

Bubbles wrote:Has Van Persie ever lead his team to, well, anything? No.

scratch

How many more times are you going to beat this drum? Great players don't necessarily win trophies saints.

Yes, they do. There are plenty of talented players who don't win trophies, but all the truly great players do, because they know that is the ultimate measure of a player.

Bubbles wrote:Does Van Persie score the vast majority of his goals against the likes of Charlton, Bolton, Blackburn, Fulham, and shit sides in Europe? Oh yes..

So he scores against teams with worse defences easier than he does against teams with good defences? Really enlightening stuff Saints.

He hardly ever scores against sides in the top 10, let alone the top 6.

Tevez has 5 goals this season against Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U, and City won 3 of the 4 games in which he scored those goals.

Shall we just ignore the 2 goals against Chelsea in a voctory last season then? Which brings me on to your next point:

Bubbles wrote:Does Van Persie only score against the big sides in games Arsenal lose? Oh yes

See above.

My apologies, I missed one result which contradicts an otherwise overwhelming trend in Van Persie's appearances for Arsenal against top four sides. If you can find another result like that in his entire EPL career I'd be surprised.
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Post by Aristoskank Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:15 pm

The wider story here is that in 2006-7 Arsenal fans were claiming Henry was the best striker in the league, if not the world. Then Henry left. In 2008 they were claiming Adebayor was the best striker in the league, if not the world. Then Adebayor left. in 2009, and now into 2010, they were claiming Van Persie is one of the best strikers in the league, if not the world.

Who will be their pet favourite striker when Van Persie leaves or gets crippled? Eduardo? Bendtner? Chamakh? Walcott?

It isn't beyond them. Arsenal fans are psychologically incapable of accepting their players might not actually belong to the elite club at the very top of the game. It isn't just strikers, but it is particularly true when it comes to strikers.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Tweesus Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:33 pm

I think us Arsenal fans can safely acknowledge that if RVP left then we wouldn't have anyone anywhere close to a 'top 5' player.

By the sounds of things you'd consider Arsenal to only have 2 players that you could consider to be top five for their positions on the field (goalkeeper, defender, midfielder and forward).

2 out of 20. And we're 3rd. Personally, I'd say 3 out of 20 is a more accurate depiction of our teams quality and for me, RVP warrants a position in the top five forwards for the EPL.
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Post by Aristoskank Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Tweesus wrote:I think us Arsenal fans can safely acknowledge that if RVP left then we wouldn't have anyone anywhere close to a 'top 5' player.

Until Fabregas scores a few and suddenly gets turned back into 'one of the best midfielders in the world'.

Sad
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Number of posts : 8098
    Supports : Deutschland, Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jens Lehmann
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Allez les rouges Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:32 pm

He's talking about strikers, no? scratch
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Post by Aristoskank Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:33 pm

Cock off Randy Johnson.
    mccourtlover92

Number of posts : 34
    Supports : Manchester United
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes, Roy Keane, Henrik Larsson, Paolo Di Canio, Lionel Messi
    Registration date : 2010-02-17

Post by mccourtlover92 Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:46 pm

obviosuly drogbas is far superior to adebayor. drogba can turn it on in an instant and win the game, unlike ade as he just goes missin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:31 am